What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are my parents morons or am I "disrespectful" (1 Viewer)

Are my parents idiots or was I disrespectful

• Your parents sound like maniacs

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • You are the worst son on the planet, you disrespectful loser

Votes: 46 56.1%

• Total voters
Heh. Love the shout-out. The Descendents were once a favorite band of mine.  

A simple goodbye would suffice, but I know how grandparents are with their grandkids, so it can be a bit of a production. I think you all can find common ground. 

The religion stuff is a whole other issue, bro, and one I wish you well with.  

I would care as a Mom, you give your life to your children and sometimes as a Mom a small thing like common courtesy or a little show of affection from your child simply just feels good, and brings back the good old memories when once upon a time you were their world. 

I would care as a Mom, you give your life to your children and sometimes as a Mom a small thing like common courtesy or a little show of affection from your child simply just feels good, and brings back the good old memories when once upon a time you were their world. 
...and if you don't I'm going to try and guilt you into thinking like I do.

I saw that in a Hallmark card once.

Americans...

First, wearing shoes in people's houses... and now, leaving without saying goodbye to your parents?

Savages. All of you. 

Pretty sure the stuff that bothers our parents will bother us when we get to that age.  Doesn't matter how much we say "I'll never be like my parent".  

Natural part of aging.  Good luck to us all.

Just tell them where you stand. 

"Heads up, I might leave future events without checking in with you if it is in the best interest of my family...don't take it personally"

All you can control is what you do. You can't control how other people feel about it. If you are comfortable with what you did just tell them that. 

If they remain uncomfortable that is on them. 

My mom always HATED my wife. When we had our first born my mom wanted to come stay with us for a week (we live about 200 miles away....and it was family tradition). 

I told my mom, no....you have no relationship with my wife.  I am not going to give my wife extra stress right now.

I chose my own family unit over my moms feelings.....no regrets. 

Just tell them where you stand. 

"Heads up, I might leave future events without checking in with you if it is in the best interest of my family...don't take it personally"

All you can control is what you do. You can't control how other people feel about it. If you are comfortable with what you did just tell them that. 

If they remain uncomfortable that is on them. 

My mom always HATED my wife. When we had our first born my mom wanted to come stay with us for a week (we live about 200 miles away....and it was family tradition). 

I told my mom, no....you have no relationship with my wife.  I am not going to give my wife extra stress right now.

I chose my own family unit over my moms feelings.....no regrets. 
Smart man;  good husband.  A+

OrtonToOlsen said:
...and if you don't I'm going to try and guilt you into thinking like I do.
I answered the question honestly as a Mom, if "MY son left and hadn't said good bye, I never responded to the other drama!

I think this is all overblown, and shows the "alpha" mentality on both sides.

Saying goodbye would be nice, but it is not your obligation.  Make a joke about it next time.  Say goodbye when you first see them so you can get that "obligation" out of the way.  Then say you are just kidding...

They may have expected a goodbye, but the way they presented it to you was wrong.  Your Dad should have brought to your attention in a nicer way, such as "I wish we had a chance to say goodbye last night, but I know you were busy with getting your child ready to leave."

Your response could be, "Yeah, sorry about that.  Thanks for understanding; I'll try to make a better effort next time."

A dialog like that gets his point across and you show that you're willing to make the effort.  Instead, this becomes more of a "who has the bigger ****."

"We think it's rude that you didn't say goodbye"

"Then you failed as a parent, since I don't give a ####."

Win/Win.

a lot of us older geezers think a good by is important because there is a good chance we will just die food for thought take that to the bank brohans

Probably.  

But I don't think I've ever cared about somebody NOT saying goodbye.  In fact, I don't think I've ever even thought about it.  

"Jim and Kim left? Without telling ME goodbye?!? The nerve!"

Seems very self-centered.
Yes but you're good with no one really liking you.

I KID, I KID!

Users who are viewing this thread