What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are my parents morons or am I "disrespectful" (1 Viewer)

Are my parents idiots or was I disrespectful

• Your parents sound like maniacs

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • You are the worst son on the planet, you disrespectful loser

Votes: 46 56.1%

• Total voters
Would have given a polite and respectful "peace out #####es" up at the altar just to make it clear you were leaving. Then give your parents a wink to make sure they knew you acknowledged and showed them respect.

I am taking a shot in the dark here but I am guessing you don't get along well with people in general but especially not your family.
:shrug:

I get along very well with my family.  Although I'm basing my responses on the fact that there's a big backstory here too.  Acer has already said there's a ton that happened between his parents and his wife.  At some point enough is enough and if they are injecting drama into my life I just wouldn't deal with it anymore.

When we are at a function, mrs and i communicate with each other that we are about ready to leave.  We allow X amount of time for goodbyes.  With a sleeping child, we would have the other make rounds.  Just a common courtesy to thank the hosts (the rest are optional, but we do so anyway).

That being said, it seems that your parents are being manipulative and petty about this.  There were other opportunities to provide their gift.  Not ok to make your child/children stir.  We have gone through this with my mother.  I believe it is my mother's hope that the child wakes enough to have some interaction.  My mother is also guilty of extended goodbyes.  Let the sleeping child rest.

If it were me I would have taken a minute to tell them I was leaving but I get that you were tired and had sleeping kids so I don't fault you for not saying goodbye.

However I think your response to your Dad was crappy.  All you had to say was "Sorry Dad but the kids were sleeping and I wanted to get them home quickly".

Have to say, this is pretty odd.

Saying goodbye to bride and groom is very customary in our family.
There are lots of both regional and religious customs that govern behavior in these events.  Take the lead of the other guests, but it's just not something I've observed in the south.  

In theory the bride is dancing at the end of the party, you gonna go break that up to say bye?  

The bride/groom discussion is way overblown here. Weddings are so unique I don't think there's one answer. I don't recall having a bunch of people telling me goodbye at my wedding, probably because I was too busy dazzling my bride on the dance floor. 

The parents are being knobs. Maybe it's odd that Acer didn't say goodbye, but with it being so late plus the fact that he sees them every week? Whatever, not a big deal. 

Those who demand respect aren't worthy of it, imo

I get along very well with my family.  Although I'm basing my responses on the fact that there's a big backstory here too.  Acer has already said there's a ton that happened between his parents and his wife.  At some point enough is enough and if they are injecting drama into my life I just wouldn't deal with it anymore.
so send a snarky text instead of just sending a text goodbye and making the situation worse. 

Coming from someone who's never been much for social pleasantries/conventions and loves the Irish goodbye:

I feel like you gotta say goodbye as you're leaving a family wedding. You can take a pass here because of the sleeping kid, but you have to explain yourself and apologize later. 

IMO 

Your parents aren't morons for calling you out for it.  They clearly expected you to stop by before you left and that's a pretty normal expectation. 

You didn't do anything that wrong either.  It's also expected that parents of small children will leave "early" and leave before 1030pm. 

They could have used a nicer tone with you. 

But if this bothers you then you should never have sent that reply. You escalated it with your response.  You probably should apologize for that.  A call or visit to say hi sorry we left without saying goodbye but it was really late.  How are you. If that doesn't suffice tell them to go #### themselves, go in their house, and pour all of their shampoo out onto all of their toilet paper and leave it in the tub with the hot water turned on high because #### them.

If that doesn't suffice tell them to go #### themselves, go in their house, and pour all of their shampoo out onto all of their toilet paper and leave it in the tub with the hot water turned on high because #### them.
Really?  I'd go with a bag of flaming dog poo, myself.

Why should he wake his sleeping kids up so the grandparents can say goodbye?  They'll see them again in a few days.  It's idiotic especially since his parents sound self-centered and have already disrespected his wife.
smh

Common courtesy - say your goodbyes and nice to see you's.  Takes a few minutes at most.  Everyone happy.

Common courtesy as an adult - don't create/contribute to drama over goodbye's, giving or receiving.  

I think you erred on both, your parents erred on the second.
This

Don't.  Let them know that respect is a two way street and if they don't respect how you and your wife want to parent your kids they don't need to be around that much.  If you keep up with the appeasement it's only going to get worse.
If your goal is to be estranged from your family members, this is a good mantra.

If your goal is to be estranged from your family members, this is a good mantra.

Again there is more to this story.  OP has said there's a lengthy backstory including where his parents wouldn't talk to his wife because she isn't Jewish.  If this was a one time situation my opinion would be different.

"Good morning. We came looking for you last night to give the kids something and you left without saying goodbye to mom, me and your grandparents. Really? Very hurtful and disrespectful."
Yeah, a quick good-bye would have been the right move.  But they've overreacted with the above.  They should have been helping with the kids at that late hour or at least anticipating you'd be leaving.  The better concluding line should have simply been "Sorry we missed you!"

The passive aggressive stuff kills me and always has the opposite effect of what they're looking for. 

Irish goodbyes are the best and Im well known for them. 
I'm the master of the Irish hello.  I just show up unexpectedly and usually uninvitedly.  Just saunter over to the bar and act like I've always been there.

If Acer expected his parents to wake his sleeping child, then he probably did the right thing.  However, I do think it's strange to leave a wedding without saying goodnight to your parents.

I'm definitely someone who thinks a lot of "social courtesies" like this are a bit silly (especially when its someone you're going to see again in 3 days). And the long elaborate goodbye while holding a sleeping child would certainly be incredibly annoying. And if the end result was going to be a giant loud ordeal waking up the kid, I'd be pissed

But the escalation with the snarky text reply didnt do anyone any good. I get that there is history here, so its not fair to judge either side.

So you advocate approaching the bride and saying you are bailing on her party?  I would never consider such a thing. 

Maybe say goodbye to the mother.
So everyone at the wedding sneaks out one-by-one without saying goodbye to the bride? Would be hilariously awesome.  :thumbup: :lmao:

I'm definitely someone who thinks a lot of "social courtesies" like this are a bit silly (especially when its someone you're going to see again in 3 days). And the long elaborate goodbye while holding a sleeping child would certainly be incredibly annoying. And if the end result was going to be a giant loud ordeal waking up the kid, I'd be pissed

But the escalation with the snarky text reply didnt do anyone any good. I get that there is history here, so its not fair to judge either side.
Agree with you here, but a quick, "Mom/Dad, have to hop.  See you again soon."  Would take all of 5 seconds.  

If you know it is a bugaboo for your folks then I suggest you just try to appease.  Keeps things on an even keel.

"Good morning. We came looking for you last night to give the kids something and you left without saying goodbye to mom, me and your grandparents. Really? Very hurtful and disrespectful."
If the bolded is a common form of communication from them then I can understand how frustrating this relationship can be for you. 

It's a selfish statement, they're making the situation about them. And worse it's a statement that's directed to make you feel ashamed. Which can be very hurtful especially when coming from ones parent. 

Btw, I think you answered your own question in the thread topic when you suggested your parents were "morons".

I keep reading that as "are my parents mormons".

haven't read the OP... but I'm going to say they're mormons AND you're disrepectful.

Agree with you here, but a quick, "Mom/Dad, have to hop.  See you again soon."  Would take all of 5 seconds.  

If you know it is a bugaboo for your folks then I suggest you just try to appease.  Keeps things on an even keel.
Have to hop?   :ph34r:

Why do people care about "goodbyes"?  

"Where are Jim and Kim?"
"They left about 10 minutes ago."

"Oh."

FIN
You're a monster.

FTR, I could see leaving a wedding without telling the bride and groom goodbye if they are busy.  I couldn't see a scenario where I wouldn't at least make my parents aware I'm leaving but it's not a huge deal.  The part of this I'm a little baffled with is waking the kid - I guess I just got lucky with my kids but I could always wake them at any time and it was really never a problem.  I wouldn't go out of my way to wake them up and I definitely wouldn't intentionally wake them just to say goodbye but my kids would immediately go back to sleep in the car, if they wake up it was no big deal.

I feel like all of this could have been avoided if the OP just got a sitter for his two kids and gone to the night wedding with just his wife. 

Isn't the whole job of the Jewish mother to cause shame? I think everyone is playing their part perfectly in this scenario. :)

Say goodbye to your parents. Thank those that invited you. Ignoring everyone with the 'sleeping child' excuse is lame, imho. Yes, doing a round of good-byes is not fun and I'd rather just ditch plenty of things I attend, but it IS disrespectful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do all you weirdos tip your hats to ladies?  Stand up when a woman walks into a room?  Answer the phone with "Ahoy"? Ask a woman's father if you can call on her? 

Fair enough

Thx for replies. I have no problems saying I am ever wrong. I guess I just don't see how not saying goodbye matters but apparently it does to most people
I don't think they're responding to you leaving; it's more to do with your response.

Users who are viewing this thread