What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Asiata vs. McKinnon (3 Viewers)

If he's not there, it means he's on someone else's team.

And I'm going for Asiata. He's got Peyton Hillis written all over him. Back when hillis was legit that is. He can catch the ball nicely as well. Must add.

Asiata may well be JAG. But he knows the system, and is an adequate pass blocker. Short term, he's what you call bird in the hand. McKinnon is the upside play. All we know right now is Asiata will get his chance to start one game. Beyond that we are reading tea leaves. Peterson might be gone just one week or a handful. We don't know. In that context, I think it's tough to gamble on the more talented third string RB hoping that Peterson is gone long enough to usurp Asiata. I love upside as much as the next guy, but this uncertain situation has me favoring safe floor over enticing upside. Give me Asiata.

Looking for high upside in someone who has a much greater chance of starting, I just dropped Davonta Freeman for McKinnon. Freeman wasn't about to do it for awhile.

This sucks.

Asiata reportedly improved as a receiver over training camp. I recall a couple of writers commenting on that during training camp and the preseason. As has already been mentioned Asiata is trusted more in pass protection than they would ask McKinnon to do at this time. He would be the most likely to get a lot of carries. There is also Zach Line who could see playing time or Joe Banyard who could be activated from the practice squad.

Zach Line is a RB/FB tweener that I was a little confused about making the active roster.

Joe Banyard had a second good season and is a quicker RB than Asiata or Line.

Jerrick McKinnon is likely the most talented ball carrier and a very good player. He is who I would value the most in dynasty. In the short term Asiata is most likely to get the most snaps.

Asiata may well be JAG. But he knows the system, and is an adequate pass blocker. Short term, he's what you call bird in the hand. McKinnon is the upside play. All we know right now is Asiata will get his chance to start one game. Beyond that we are reading tea leaves. Peterson might be gone just one week or a handful. We don't know. In that context, I think it's tough to gamble on the more talented third string RB hoping that Peterson is gone long enough to usurp Asiata. I love upside as much as the next guy, but this uncertain situation has me favoring safe floor over enticing upside. Give me Asiata.
It's a nice floor, too, considering how NE just gave up 191 rushing yards to MIami.

how would he know the system any better than mckinnon?

In leagues that Asiata was a FA, he is the better add.

In leagues where McKinnon was a FA, he was the better add.

In leagues where neither were available, they both suck.

I agree. Give me the guy with actual playing time over the upside guy any week. If Asiata sucks this week, no big loss because you (hopefully) didn't drop anyone significant for him (and Asiata sucking is no guarantee that McKinnon gets to play, nor is it a guarantee that McKinnon doesn't also suck). If he's great, you've got an extra awesome guy on your bench. The fact of the matter is that neither of these guys is going to produce like AP and you're more likely to hope for a big game from Asiata on your bench to use as trade fodder next week than to actually start either of them. Grab Asiata now, don't play him, hope he has an amazeballs game, and sell high next week.

IMO - You should plan on Peterson playing next week. He was arrested but should be released fairly quickly - little risk he will leave the US. He was deactivated because he won't be in town this weekend. The trial if it takes place will likely be in the off season and any suspension would probably be next year,
I dont think the issue is if Peterson is locked up.

The issue is the NFL doesnt want to appear soft on crime (especially against children).

So if this story gets picked up and goes viral...He may be gone for awhile.

Auction league - Dropped Jonathan Stewart and Kenny Britt to pickup both, but since I am rolling McCoy and Charles out there, merely for use as trade bait with the Peterson owner. My other RBs are Crowell, Kn Davis, and Dunbar. We can roll with just 1 RB any week, so no need ever to play any of those guys (hopefully).
Our FAABs were closed out for the week, but first come/first served pickups are available for $5 each of the $65 you start with each year. I didn't spend anything after week #1 and I am light at WR. The Peterson owner in my league has four WRs better than my #2 and #3, so I think if this is serious I can get a deal done (BTW, the same owner just lost Ray Rice so he will be starting Trent Richardson this week).

My move will be a WR2 + the $10 FAAB back for the two, so my out of pocket will be zero here.

1. Fantasy #####@FantasyDouche 11m
    But also the "cream rises" argument is usually self indulgent and doesn't acknowledge that coaches don't care about same things we do.

2. Mike Clay@MikeClayNFL 7m
    @FantasyDouche You think folks would learn this by now. Makes sense in dynasty, not redraft. BJGE>Gio, Mendy>Dre, Greene>Sankey etc etc

Pretty much how I feel and this is essentially the epitome of said situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
how would he know the system any better than mckinnon?
Where do I claim he knows it any more than McKinnon? You must have inferred that. Fact is he's more experienced and better in pass pro.

Asiata for the immediate future, IMO, assuming AP misses time.

McKinnon still has a lot of developing to do.
If he is indicted I would bet anything, all things considered, that AP will miss significant time. Given how Roger Goddell got absolutely pummeled for his lack of compassion for DV he will go way overboard with this
I think the Vikings will release him, that seems to be the message.

As far as McKinnon, I may say he's a "what the heck flex" play. Especially as a Peterson owner.

I know it's low odds to hit, but #### it, gamble this week, it's early still, and hope? I'm mentally conceding the loss, I guess, and feel like gambling might be the only way to a win this week.

Not knowing all the facts yet, but this would seem to be more in line w the (I think it was 6) game suspension the NFL announced after the Rice suspension, so I wouldn't drop him yet.
I'm not sure. The nfl really painted itself into a corner by suspending Rice indefinitely. Can they come out and say that Peterson's offense was less egregious? If not, how can they suspend him for fewer games?
I agree completely. If they suspend him for any less than Rice, they are effectively saying beating children is not as bad as beating women.

Sure the video made Rice's crime more in your face, but we have pictures of the child...

I am willing to bet noone says anything atm because the waiver hasn't been processed yet and they know league mates frequent the site. Don't want to give out any info.

IMO - You should plan on Peterson playing next week. He was arrested but should be released fairly quickly - little risk he will leave the US. He was deactivated because he won't be in town this weekend. The trial if it takes place will likely be in the off season and any suspension would probably be next year,
I dont think the issue is if Peterson is locked up.

The issue is the NFL doesnt want to appear soft on crime (especially against children).

So if this story gets picked up and goes viral...He may be gone for awhile.
I don't think anything either of you mentions really matters. If those texts and pictures are verified by Vikings or NFL security he's getting cut .

This is a whole season thing and I'm taking Mckinnon. Asiata is not BJGE or Shonn Greene. He is not a proven player. He has more experience than Mckinnon and is the better play right now, but has nothing in common with those guys.

While not optimal for others to compare to, I only made the moves I did because it was first-come/first-served at this point this week and I had nothing to lose other than $10 of my $65 FAAB. I knew that I could lock up the MIN RB on the off chance Peterson is out for a period. Given that the Peterson owner in my league also lost Rice, to me it was the right play.

Let's try to not get too carried away by the Minnesota RB situation. They are pretty close to the fantasy equivalent of grabbing Curtis Painter when Peyton Manning (Colts) goes down. The understudy is a pale substitute of the star.

Let's try to not get too carried away by the Minnesota RB situation. They are pretty close to the fantasy equivalent of grabbing Curtis Painter when Peyton Manning (Colts) goes down. The understudy is a pale substitute of the star.
That's the actual reason it dawned on me -- the bell went off, if you will -- that I had done something stupid.

There is absolutely no way I am dropping Adrian Peterson at this point.

I saw the pictures. It isn't pretty. Whoever did that to that child went overboard. Not close to the worst thing I've seen.

Then again, we are talking about split up parents and kids out of wedlock. Who is to say that Adrian Peterson didn't discipline his kid, and then the kid got home to mom and the mom added a few more licks and blamed AP in an attempt at revenge or a money grab? Who knows.

Point is, it is still very early. At this point he is missing 1 game. He didn't kill a dog and he didn't knock a woman out with a left hook in an elevator.

Also, I am picking up Asiata as the replacement for the time being. If this is a 1-6 week type punishment, he'll be way more productive than McKinnon in that time.
wtf is wrong with people? i am to say that. anyone with half a brain is to say that. the kid is 4 ffs. hes not a criminal mastermind with a grudge. hes a defenseless child. its way worse than rice or vick. you realize those pictures are like 3 days old? jfc pls try to remove your peterson fantasy bias. you dont abuse defenseless 4 yr olds.

Yes, but Bitonti has the MIN O-line ranked A+ in run blocking. Even Bernard Pierce might do well behind them.

Vikings also signed Joe Banyard up from their practice squad. He is probably not going to a factor but he made the most of snaps in preseason. I was a little surprised that other teams were not interested in him.

Correct me if I am wrong but the last time Asiata subbed in for Peterson I think he scored 3 TDs.

If you looked at RB snap count percentages from last week, I think you'd realize any RB with legit opportunity is becoming a more and more precious fantasy commodity. I mean, I was baffled when I looked at TEN and ATL's situation. I don't think I've ever seen 4 RBs split work like that. People are starting Greene vs. DAL in some leagues this week because of scarcity; it's madness.

For what it's worth, I went $352 in a FPC where I'm thin at RB and went $294 in a FPC where I have a little more depth. Threw a contingent bid of $159 on McKinnon in both. Let's see what happens.

I won't apologize for Peterson, but domestic violence is cyclical. People who are shocked at it still existing in this day and age in its medieval form of brandishing a switch never had to deal with it on a personal level. I got the bloody switch as a kid and my dad before me got the old world horse whipping from gramps. I vowed it would stop with my generation, and I have not so much even spanked my kids.. I pray that Peterson faces his inner demons of the son he buried last year and the damage he's caused to his relationship to his switch scarred son. Violence isn't ever the answer. Doesn't grant you respect or love, only fear and misunderstanding and resentment. Football will be over soon enough for Adrian Peterson. Hopefully he gets his priorities in order. All that matters is family, he's bound to figure out sooner or later.

If you looked at RB snap count percentages from last week, I think you'd realize any RB with legit opportunity is becoming a more and more precious fantasy commodity. I mean, I was baffled when I looked at TEN and ATL's situation. I don't think I've ever seen 4 RBs split work like that. People are starting Greene vs. DAL in some leagues this week because of scarcity; it's madness.
Agreed, and we haven't even hit bye weeks yet. Stockpile as many as you can. A RB3 could land you a WR2 from a desperate owner.

I bid $88 on Asiata with a $1000 budget. I just won the bid. The only other bid came in at $10. I think most of my league must be out on a Friday night.

Even if McKinnon wins the role it's not going to happen all at once IMO -- he'd have to earn it on the field in a more limited role first. Def Asiata for next few weeks at least. Probably longer.

I look at this way.. If I'm in a position to have to start Asiata i'm probably in bad shape overall and he's not much of help to me. If I have McKinnon I'm stashing someone that offers enough upside to actually have some utility on a good team, which hopefully mine is.

Users who are viewing this thread