What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Asiata vs. McKinnon (2 Viewers)

Good thread.

I would lean McKinnon baed on what I saw preseason.
agreed McKinnon rushed for 4.9 a rush in preseason, and is a better pass catcher
That said I also agree with people that are saying Asiata this weekend, that seems true based on snap count. McKinnon will be eased in, no one was expecting this. In a few weeks it might be different. BTW, are we to assume that ADP is done for the year/career? Do you roster him in redraft leagues? Serious question, just curious if anyone would actually cut him. Would the Vikings release him?

Auction league - Dropped Jonathan Stewart and Kenny Britt to pickup both, but since I am rolling McCoy and Charles out there, merely for use as trade bait with the Peterson owner. My other RBs are Crowell, Kn Davis, and Dunbar. We can roll with just 1 RB any week, so no need ever to play any of those guys (hopefully).

Last edited by a moderator:
AP was only deactivated, not suspended or cut. I wouldn't drop him yet, if I were an AP owner.

As for me, the players I dropped for Asiata were: Caldwell (dropping anyway since Welker's back), Boykin, and Dennis Pitta. The only reason I dropped Pitta was because he already played this week so I think it's unlikely anyone picks him up off waivers. Gives me a chance to get him back next week if I want him after I see Asiata play.

I pulled the trigger cutting knile davis, but decided to keep Pierre Thomas in two leagues vs picking either up.

Can't imagine dropping AP at this point. The choice between even a 15% chance AP comes back in a week/couple weeks is much better than anyone's 6th RB/WR flier, backup TE/QB etc.

Edit: Put another way, think there is close to no chance that AP is the least valuable player on anyone's roster, even with this hanging over him right now.

Not knowing all the facts yet, but this would seem to be more in line w the (I think it was 6) game suspension the NFL announced after the Rice suspension, so I wouldn't drop him yet.

Not knowing all the facts yet, but this would seem to be more in line w the (I think it was 6) game suspension the NFL announced after the Rice suspension, so I wouldn't drop him yet.
I'm not sure. The nfl really painted itself into a corner by suspending Rice indefinitely. Can they come out and say that Peterson's offense was less egregious? If not, how can they suspend him for fewer games?

I do not think you should be dropping anyone of legitimate value or bidding your entire FAAB budget on Asiata unless you're in a pinch and are in need of his services asap. His ceiling is essentially that of a RB2 based on projected volume but if you wouldn't even debate starting him right away he's likely not worth your time, even as depth. If you're looking for depth, you should be looking at McKinnon because his upside is that of a RB1.

I dropped Cecil Shorts and my 2nd DST (Green Bay, but Seattle is my #1 and on their bye in Week 4 there are tons of replacement options) and I picked up both. Stupid?

I can't believe people are talking about dropping Peterson.

He hasn't been convicted yet. Not that the NFL is predictable with it's suspensions right now, but isn't there a 49er that was charged with beating his girlfriend (Ray McDonald?) and he's playing while the "system goes through the process" or something like that.

I'm no expert, but Asiata seems like the no-brainer replacement to me. I'd expect a reduced running game, so bump Patterson and the rest of the WR/TEs a bit. My reasoning for leaning Asiata is his games last season: 3 TDs in one and almost 10 YPC in the other makes me very happy. You stick with the known quantity as much as possible, especially when he already knows the offense and has NFL experience. McKinnon will get some snaps to be sure, but not in passing situations, and not on the goal line. I want a player who scores. Asiata seems set to get farm more points than McKinnon..
Not to nitpick but this is Asiata's first year with Norv as OC. Sometimes new coaches don't have allegiance to existing players vs. ones they draft so may be some risk there.

I do not think you should be dropping anyone of legitimate value or bidding your entire FAAB budget on Asiata unless you're in a pinch and are in need of his services asap. His ceiling is essentially that of a RB2 based on projected volume but if you wouldn't even debate starting him right away he's likely not worth your time, even as depth. If you're looking for depth, you should be looking at McKinnon because his upside is that of a RB1.
I dropped Crowell and Roethlisberger for the 2. I drop my backup QB, and a 3rd string RB to gain a potential starter on my roster.

I'd imagine that for this week, any others if Peterson is suspended, we see a full on RBBC with Asista, McKinnon, and Patterson.

I'm not sure any but Patterson (given his multiple roles on the team) will be startable.

I'm no expert, but Asiata seems like the no-brainer replacement to me. I'd expect a reduced running game, so bump Patterson and the rest of the WR/TEs a bit. My reasoning for leaning Asiata is his games last season: 3 TDs in one and almost 10 YPC in the other makes me very happy. You stick with the known quantity as much as possible, especially when he already knows the offense and has NFL experience. McKinnon will get some snaps to be sure, but not in passing situations, and not on the goal line. I want a player who scores. Asiata seems set to get farm more points than McKinnon..
Not to nitpick but this is Asiata's first year with Norv as OC. Sometimes new coaches don't have allegiance to existing players vs. ones they draft so may be some risk there.
Sure, but they do have allegiance to guys who can pass protect, which is why Asiata is the choice this week.

I dropped Crowell and Roethlisberger for the 2. I drop my backup QB, and a 3rd string RB to gain a potential starter on my roster.
That's another legitimate approach. I'm mostly talking about leagues where the WW isn't a free for all. I don't expect to be able to grab both in any of my leagues.

IMO - You should plan on Peterson playing next week. He was arrested but should be released fairly quickly - little risk he will leave the US. He was deactivated because he won't be in town this weekend. The trial if it takes place will likely be in the off season and any suspension would probably be next year,

That's another legitimate approach. I'm mostly talking about leagues where the WW isn't a free for all. I don't expect to be able to grab both in any of my leagues.
Dropped players go up for bid twice a week, any players unclaimed between periods becomes free for all. So I will have to win a bid to get Crowell/Ben back if needed.

Whats the dyno play here? In a 12 team deep roster league and both are available.

Would anyone drop Roy Helu or Tre Mason for either?

IMO - You should plan on Peterson playing next week. He was arrested but should be released fairly quickly - little risk he will leave the US. He was deactivated because he won't be in town this weekend. The trial if it takes place will likely be in the off season and any suspension would probably be next year,
I think that is the most likely scenario (Ray McDonald like) and seems to be the proper one since he hast been convicted of anything and something about the evidence was not strong enough for the grand jury to indict the first time, but... given what has happened with Rice and his suspension going from 2 games to forever,and Gordon going from 16 games to 10, as Bloom said, "I have absolutely no faith in my ability to predict what the NFL might do."

Whats the dyno play here? In a 12 team deep roster league and both are available.

I'd easily drop Helu for McKinnon.
I'd drop Helu for McKinnon even without AP's suspension in dynasty.
Its been five minutes and someone picked up Mckinnon. :doh: I don't know anything about the kid, or Asiata, I only saw a little of Asiata in the preseason, he looked okay.

mckinnon

9/10/2011: Signed a seven-year, $96 million contract. The deal contains $36 million guaranteed, $32 million of which is guaranteed for skill and the other $4 million for injury. Another $4 million is available through escalators. An annual $250,000 workout bonus is available throughout the life of the deal. 2014: $11.75 million, 2015: $12.75 million, 2016: $14.75 million, 2017: $16.75 million, 2018: Free Agent
I'd probably be cool dumping helu

mckinnon could be dyno gold

Asiata is the definition of JAG. Gotta go with the higher ceiling pickup in McKinnon even if he takes on a Sprolesesk role vs. McKinnon being the lead back and goal line back.

There is absolutely no way I am dropping Adrian Peterson at this point.

I saw the pictures. It isn't pretty. Whoever did that to that child went overboard. Not close to the worst thing I've seen.

Then again, we are talking about split up parents and kids out of wedlock. Who is to say that Adrian Peterson didn't discipline his kid, and then the kid got home to mom and the mom added a few more licks and blamed AP in an attempt at revenge or a money grab? Who knows.

Point is, it is still very early. At this point he is missing 1 game. He didn't kill a dog and he didn't knock a woman out with a left hook in an elevator.

Also, I am picking up Asiata as the replacement for the time being. If this is a 1-6 week type punishment, he'll be way more productive than McKinnon in that time.

I think that is the most likely scenario (Ray McDonald like) and seems to be the proper one since he hast been convicted of anything and something about the evidence was not strong enough for the grand jury to indict the first time, but... given what has happened with Rice and his suspension going from 2 games to forever,and Gordon going from 16 games to 10, as Bloom said, "I have absolutely no faith in my ability to predict what the NFL might do."
12 games is my prediction. No video, but Rice set a new precedent for zero tolerance. If it's anything less than 8, social media and people who have never watched the NFL are going to flip.

Easily McKinnon for me, especially in PPR.

I think the question is whether McKinnon is going to be the type of back like Reggie Bush or CJ Spiller who works best in a tandem with a bigger back. I see him as more of a scat back than an every down player. And with him also being a rookie out of a small school, I'm not expecting him to just waltz in and handle 20+ touches per game from day one. I fully expect some kind of time share.

Just grabbed Asiata.

Small bench league (5 players), 12-teams .

Should I drop Devonta Freeman for Mckinnon? I'm sitting on Freeman anyway.

Asiata.

Probably a Top 15 RB play this week vs. the horrific Pats run down. After watching them get absolutely gashed vs. the Phins, game plan has got to be pounding the ball. Gave up 191 rush yards last week. And were 3rd worst last year giving up 134 rush yards/game.

I expect McKinnon to be the popular pick. (The guy after the guy seems to be most popular on these forums for whatever reason). Probably the same folks that were pumping Kelce and Latimer going into Week 1. No reason to overthink another situation.

Users who are viewing this thread