What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Asiata vs. McKinnon (3 Viewers)

Ya know I thought Asiata was a scrub from all the "McKinnon is so explosive he's going to explode" talk, but I just watched a bit of his game and gotta say... not too bad. He's no AP (who is), but IMO he can get you RB1 numbers provided they give him the same workload he got last season in relief.

For what it's worth, I went $352 in a FPC where I'm thin at RB and went $294 in a FPC where I have a little more depth. Threw a contingent bid of $159 on McKinnon in both. Let's see what happens.
I landed him in both and the next closest bid on each was very close to mine. All aboard the Asiata Hype Train! :cool:

Ya know I thought Asiata was a scrub from all the "McKinnon is so explosive he's going to explode" talk, but I just watched a bit of his game and gotta say... not too bad. He's no AP (who is), but IMO he can get you RB1 numbers provided they give him the same workload he got last season in relief.
Given; New England allowed almost 200 yards rushing to Miami last week, how much of a stretch is it to project borderline RB1 numbers from Asiata? It's a stretch..a leap of faith maybe...but not unreasonable or crazy either.

Given; New England allowed almost 200 yards rushing to Miami last week, how much of a stretch is it to project borderline RB1 numbers from Asiata? It's a stretch..a leap of faith maybe...but not unreasonable or crazy either.
I seriously doubt that will happen again. Belichick is licking his chops now. I expect a New England blowout. They never lose two games in a row.

Is he a must start for you guys as at least a flex or more of a wait and see?
He had RB1 #s when filling in for AP last year against 2 top 10 Ds against the run. Drastically different YPCs in both games, but it's at least reassuring that he's not a complete unknown. Honestly the McKinnon camp sounds just like dudes who couldn't grab Asiata, he's the clear play here in redraft.

I missed out on Asiata ($565 winning bid) in FPC. I did get McKinnon for $501. I have AP.

My other RBs: Gio, Vereen, Sproles, Jaquizz, Blount

Probably overspent, but I'm deep so I felt I could afford the risk/cuff.

3 minutes after a tweet from Adam Shefter breaking the news (to me), I ran and grabbed McKinnon, dropping Eric Decker. Then I came to this message board and looked for the consensus here. 30 minutes later, I dropped McKinnon for Asiato.

I knew you'd want to know.

Here's Asiata's 39-yard run vs. DET last year. Now, he likely had fresh legs in comparison to his competition that late in the season but I see some good footwork, vision and decent burst. Fun fact, that 39-yard long run is longer than Trent Richardson's 32-yard career long.

Granted these were two games at the end of the season against tired defense but nonetheless, the lines are very interesting.

30/51/3 + 3/15/0 (27.5 ppr)

14/115/0 + 2/2/0 (13.5 ppr)

From what I've seen of Asiata thusfar, I would say my comparison is a slow version of Beanie Wells.

I'll take it, but still hoping the Vikes PR department is working overtime...

I can't afford to stash Mckin because I have JOSH GORDON INACTIVE IN MY ROSTER FOR 10 WEEKS. Asiata is a blessing for me.

No other running back has an athletic profile similar (i.e., over 80) to that of Jerick McKinnon. Backs with McKinnon’s speed, lower-body explosiveness and upper-body strength just don’t exist. He’s truly unique.

He’s also a freak. An average NFL skill position player will ring in at around a 110 pSPARQ, a good athlete at 120, and very good at 130. Elite is about 140, and the 150+ range is reserved for Calvin Johnson, Vernon Davis, and a select few others. McKinnon’s 147.5 is one of the top scores among all running backs over the last 16 years.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/48354/71/analyzing-player-athleticism

I think at this point the pick is Asiata. That's because there's no guarantee how much time Peterson will miss - while not impossible I'd be surprised if its more than 8 games (if any). Because this is not as egregious as Rice, I don't think the suspension will be long enough for McKinnon to win the starting job from Asiata. Obviously in dynasty leagues the play is a little different.

edit: I should be clear I don't think he'll be suspended 8 games, just that that would likely approach the max (unless of course there's more to the story than at present)
If it turns out he was actually beating his kid with a stick and causing cuts/bruises I really fail to see how you can claim this isn't as egregious as what Rice did. How is child abuse somehow a lesser evil than spousal abuse?

I think, given the current landscape in the NFL, it is entirely possible Peterson is suspended indefinitely. In fact, it might be the best PR move the NFL has.
Well first of all because I have no problem with corporal punishment. There's a difference between something taken too far, and something that shouldn't happen at all. Peterson hit his kid with a switch excessively, for sure! Ray Rice never should have hit his wife. That's why it's different to me.
So you think it would've be less bad if Rice beat his wife excessively with a switch in the elevator?

I think at this point the pick is Asiata. That's because there's no guarantee how much time Peterson will miss - while not impossible I'd be surprised if its more than 8 games (if any). Because this is not as egregious as Rice, I don't think the suspension will be long enough for McKinnon to win the starting job from Asiata. Obviously in dynasty leagues the play is a little different.

edit: I should be clear I don't think he'll be suspended 8 games, just that that would likely approach the max (unless of course there's more to the story than at present)
If it turns out he was actually beating his kid with a stick and causing cuts/bruises I really fail to see how you can claim this isn't as egregious as what Rice did. How is child abuse somehow a lesser evil than spousal abuse?

I think, given the current landscape in the NFL, it is entirely possible Peterson is suspended indefinitely. In fact, it might be the best PR move the NFL has.
Well first of all because I have no problem with corporal punishment. There's a difference between something taken too far, and something that shouldn't happen at all. Peterson hit his kid with a switch excessively, for sure! Ray Rice never should have hit his wife. That's why it's different to me.
So you think it would've be less bad if Rice beat his wife excessively with a switch in the elevator?
take it to the bull#### peterson thread --- this is the dude vs the other dude thread

This is Texas people. Rick Perry was indicted on a Friday and he still made campaign trips through the next week, which the charges can get him 90 years in prison. Peterson's charges isn't close to that. He isn't in jail, his lawyers will setup a time next week so he can formally surrender and be booked. By then hopefully TMZ will find a video of Goodell with branch in one hand and a whip in the other wearing a shirt that reads "gotta keep your pimp hand strong"

That's all true but doesn't mean anything in terms of whether the Vikings ownership will take action for PR reasons. Minnesotans generally don't really have a high view of the Texas criminal justice system anyway.

No other running back has an athletic profile similar (i.e., over 80) to that of Jerick McKinnon. Backs with McKinnon’s speed, lower-body explosiveness and upper-body strength just don’t exist. He’s truly unique.

He’s also a freak. An average NFL skill position player will ring in at around a 110 pSPARQ, a good athlete at 120, and very good at 130. Elite is about 140, and the 150+ range is reserved for Calvin Johnson, Vernon Davis, and a select few others. McKinnon’s 147.5 is one of the top scores among all running backs over the last 16 years.
He's clearly athletically special even as far as the NFL goes. Still, how that will translate to the field is a huge question mark. I just think that his intangibles will have to be equally as extraordinary as his tangibles for him to step into a legitimate role as a rookie, especially since he has virtually no experience as a traditional running back.

This is Texas people. Rick Perry was indicted on a Friday and he still made campaign trips through the next week, which the charges can get him 90 years in prison. Peterson's charges isn't close to that. He isn't in jail, his lawyers will setup a time next week so he can formally surrender and be booked. By then hopefully TMZ will find a video of Goodell with branch in one hand and a whip in the other wearing a shirt that reads "gotta keep your pimp hand strong"
Doesn't matter about it being in Texas or what the eventual outcome will be. The bottom line is the timing sucks for Peterson. No way will the Vikings or the NFL wait for due process to run its course after the Ray Rice fiasco. Peterson is probably one and done this year. The pics and his admission of guilt doom him.

As to Patterson being the play, teams can now easily double team him without the Peterson threat. Asita and McKinnon could really blow up against the weak New England run defense that was just embarrassed by Miami's duo of RB's. With his limited but proven experience Asiata seems to be the one to own right now and for the next few weeks.

Doesn't matter about it being in Texas or what the eventual outcome will be. The bottom line is the timing sucks for Peterson. No way will the Vikings or the NFL wait for due process to run its course after the Ray Rice fiasco. Peterson is probably one and done this year. The pics and his admission of guilt doom him.

As to Patterson being the play, teams can now easily double team him without the Peterson threat. Asita and McKinnon could really blow up against the weak New England run defense that was just embarrassed by Miami's duo of RB's. With his limited but proven experience Asiata seems to be the one to own right now and for the next few weeks.
Ray McDonald just played last weekend in case you didn't notice. Some people in this country still believe in the 5th amendment.

For those wondering how long Peterson will be out (and thus assessing the potential value of Asiata and/or McKinnon), I ask you this: If Minn deactivated him this week, why would they then turn around and start playing him again next week while due process is playing out? If they intended to play him while the courts and the NFL studied the case against him, why would they have deactivated him so quickly and publicly this week?

Peterson has admitted his guilt to police and there are texts where he discusses the severity of his actions. The NFL is in hyper-sensitive-mode beyond anything we have ever seen in pro sports. I think an educated guess would be that Peterson will not be playing much, if any, this season.

He beat a 4 year old boy in the genitals (and more) with a stick. He needs lots of counseling, some jail time, and a lot of time away from the NFL shield.

As for the available players, Asiata is the obvious choice with McKinnon being a poor man's Crowell gamble. I'd be interested in knowing McKinnon's wonderlic and the buzz on his coachability because, as a small college player with very little RB experience, he has an awful lot to learn pro football and the non-running responsibilities of an NFL RB before he will be trusted to do more than take a few handoffs to spell someone else.

is this domestic violence or is child beating its own category...? tracking NFL punishments has become a full time job

This is a copy and paste

• Injury to a Child has different felony levels based upon the injuries the child suffered or the circumstances behind the injuries. This one is being reported as Injury to a Child/reckless/negligence. That is what we call a State Jail felony. State Jail Felonies carry a maximum of 2 years in jail and are typically plead out to probation. The weird thing is if this was a case of him "beating" his child it would have likely been filed as Injury to a Child/knowing/intentional which is either a Felony 3 (2-10 years) or a Felony 1 ( (Felony 1 if there is intentional "serious bodily injury or death") Most of the time the reckless/negligence comes when a parent over-disciplines a child by spanking them with a belt or extension cord leaving pattern bruises and cuts on the child's body. I would suspect that was the case here.
  • EDIT: There is a Injury to a Child/Negligence/Reckless that is a Felony 2. However that requires serious bodily injury or death that was caused by negligence or reckless behavior. If that were the case here, it probably would have been indicted the first time it was presented. Going to wager this is the state jail felony variety.

Goodell is under a lot of scrutiny for only punishing Ray Rice for TWO GAMES while dishing out a year ban on Josh Gordon. Now there is video evidence and accusation that Goodell saw the video and still issued 2 weeks to Rice. My prediction is that since the NFL do not want an image of tolerating wives and children beater, Peterson will be hit with a very heavy suspension.

That's all true but doesn't mean anything in terms of whether the Vikings ownership will take action for PR reasons. Minnesotans generally don't really have a high view of the Texas criminal justice system anyway.
Most Minnesootans I know don't care aboot Texas period.

If you have Asiata, who are you starting him over or benching him for?

Non-PPR, I'm probably benching Vereen for him but it's a close call.

If you have Asiata, who are you starting him over or benching him for?

Non-PPR, I'm probably benching Vereen for him but it's a close call.
Do you bench a guy with more talent like Chris Johnson who splits vs a guy like Asiata who is likely to see a lot of snaps?

Kool-Aid Larry said:

You had me until this "This is one of the more interesting SPARQ results. Gerhart’s 131 pSPARQ puts him at the level of a very good NFL athlete, "

SameSongNDance said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:

He's clearly athletically special even as far as the NFL goes. Still, how that will translate to the field is a huge question mark. I just think that his intangibles will have to be equally as extraordinary as his tangibles for him to step into a legitimate role as a rookie, especially since he has virtually no experience as a traditional running back.
This. Matt Jones was athletically special. And really good in madden. Real life. Not so much.

Preseason stats:

- Asiata - 24/80/1 3.0 ypc

- McKinnon - 22/108/0 4.9 ypc

3rd PS game:

- Asiata - 11/48/0 4.4

- McKinnon - 6/43/0 7.2

Asiata was an UDFA who worked his way up the chain. He's there right now. I don't know how long AP will be out for but over time I think McKinnon, who was a 3rd round pick, 7th overall RB, would show more, ultimately get time and maybe prevail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Preseason stats:

- Asiata - 24/80/0 3.0 ypc

3rd PS game:

- Asiata - 11/48/0 4.4

- McKinnon - 6/43/0 7.2

Asiata was an UDFA who worked his way up the chain. He's there right now. I don't know how long AP will be out for but over time I think McKinnon, who was a 3rd round pick, 7th overall RB, would show more, ultimately get time and maybe prevail.
You had me until this "Preseason"

Preseason stats:

3rd PS game:

- Asiata - 11/48/0 4.4

- McKinnon - 6/43/0 7.2

Ok I will try to look up McKinnon's RS performance, I know they're around here somewhere...

mckinnon is the better player. asiata will get first crack though I wouldn't overspend on him
When you say "better player" are you basing this on raw talent? Not much else to go on and I'm not ready to call him the better player, yet. Fully expect him to be in time but for the short term, asiata is the guy and did well last year.

SameSongNDance said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:
No other running back has an athletic profile similar (i.e., over 80) to that of Jerick McKinnon. Backs with McKinnons speed, lower-body explosiveness and upper-body strength just dont exist. Hes truly unique.

Hes also a freak. An average NFL skill position player will ring in at around a 110 pSPARQ, a good athlete at 120, and very good at 130. Elite is about 140, and the 150+ range is reserved for Calvin Johnson, Vernon Davis, and a select few others. McKinnons 147.5 is one of the top scores among all running backs over the last 16 years.
This. Matt Jones was athletically special. And really good in madden. Real life. Not so much.
Is JM a lazy POS too?

SameSongNDance said:
Here's Asiata's 39-yard run vs. DET last year. Now, he likely had fresh legs in comparison to his competition that late in the season but I see some good footwork, vision and decent burst. Fun fact, that 39-yard long run is longer than Trent Richardson's 32-yard career long.
You mean the one where he was chased down by a defensive lineman? Very impressive.

SameSongNDance said:
You mean the one where he was chased down by a defensive lineman? Very impressive.
Nobody is saying to expect all pro for the year. But he should do pretty well this week.

Just re-watched Asiata's Detroit start last year & 3rd preseason game this year.He's solid in everything. Great in none. Key thing is he's very solid in pass pro & what will keep him on the field.

3rd preseason game -- Asiata took nearly every 1st half snap. McKinnon only came in to give breather (had a short run & a short catch called back by hold). McKinnon did get the final series of the 1st team offense in the 2nd half. He then continued in 2nd half with Bridgewater and the 2nd team. He'll certainly provide a nice change of pace for Asiata & given the Vikings O-line should do quite well in that role.

This is a very good run blocking line. I think both guys will have their share of success with their opportunities. With Asiata getting the volume (at least initially). Patterson will unquestionably be sprinkled in the backfield as well.

Raiderfan32904 said:
chinawildman said:
Even if Bill doesn't respect Asiata, let's not get carried away. Knowshon vs Asiata?

Asiata is a FB posing as a HB. He has some short term value, but if AP misses any significant amount of time McKinnon is the better option.

Asiata screams 3.0ish YPC type if given substantial volume.

Given a trade wouldn't go thru for this week's game at this point (if have trade vote period/and a great matchup on paper for Asiata), probably not a whole lot until Asiata shows something this weekend and we get more Peterson news.

Preseason stats:

3rd PS game:

- Asiata - 11/48/0 4.4

- McKinnon - 6/43/0 7.2

Ok I will try to look up McKinnon's RS performance, I know they're around here somewhere...
Also might want to include how they were used. If Asiata is averaging 3ypc on short yardage situations versus McKinnon not.. it would matter.

Both are available in my league. Who do I pick up? My roster

Bell

Jennings

Greene

A.Williams

Hill

Who do I drop or do I stay clear?

Users who are viewing this thread