What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Asiata vs. McKinnon (2 Viewers)

Siggy Bloom:

Charch was pretty unequivocal that McKinnon is a role player for 2014 and I trust his Vikings takes.
https://twitter.com/SigmundBloom/status/512214514054332417

Had @PaulCharchian on the show yesterday and he is tuned into all things MIN. Felt McKinnon didn't offer promise this year, Asiata's the man
I heard that last night. Good podcast. Asiata is gonna get the most touches, but every owner needs to be praying everyone gets tackled at the 1 yard line.

I have Asiata, and will be looking to trade.

https://twitter.com/SigmundBloom/status/512211082941698048

I think Norv is about to go pass crazy.
This is probable for two obvious reasons. They lost arguably the best RB in the league, their centerpiece and will likely be trailing a lot this year. Norv wants something close to a 55/45 split historically but had to air it out 68% of the time with CLE last year. The caveat here is that CP is no Gordon and Rudolph is no Cameron.

Last edited by a moderator:
MIN travels to NO this week who are 10 point favorites (line is probably going to move some with AP out). Brees is pissed and is likely going to unleash an aerial assault upon MIN the likes of which has never been seen before. Oddly enough, this is the place where I feel most comfortable starting Asiata. If/when MIN goes down a couple scores, they'll be forced to use Asiata in pass pro. Inevitably, this will also lead to some receptions.

BTW, we can't rule out free agency. I'm not quite sure who is available but it's most definitely possible that MIN picks someone up.
I'm expecting something like 6-7 recs for Asiata and probably a goalline plunge at some point in this game. The Saints defense hasn't exactly been stout but they are a fireworks show on offense at home. This being their home opener as well I do expect them to put the hammer on the Vikes.

Siggy Bloom:

Charch was pretty unequivocal that McKinnon is a role player for 2014 and I trust his Vikings takes.

Had @PaulCharchian on the show yesterday and he is tuned into all things MIN. Felt McKinnon didn't offer promise this year, Asiata's the man
I heard that last night. Good podcast.Asiata is gonna get the most touches, but every owner needs to be praying everyone gets tackled at the 1 yard line.

I have Asiata, and will be looking to trade.

Sure, that's the plan now to go with Asiata but chances of him playing and starting rest of season seems slim to none. Maybe they add another RB they pass over the raw McKinnon but Asiata never averaged 5 yards a carry over a season in college, maxed out under 12 carries a game. Other than fact he's a subpar talent I just don't think he'll physically be able to hold up when I see he has no history of carrying the mail, is painfully slow and does not have a lot of lateral agility which all just means he'll take a pounding because he's not going to make a lot of people miss.

Sure, that's the plan now to go with Asiata but chances of him playing and starting rest of season seems slim to none. Maybe they add another RB they pass over the raw McKinnon but Asiata never averaged 5 yards a carry over a season in college, maxed out under 12 carries a game. Other than fact he's a subpar talent I just don't think he'll physically be able to hold up when I see he has no history of carrying the mail, is painfully slow and does not have a lot of lateral agility which all just means he'll take a pounding because he's not going to make a lot of people miss.
What's the other option? Yeah, I think he'll get 10-15 carries. Who else is there? McKinnon 0-10 carries, CP 0-5 carries.

There's no one else. A trade is barely worth taking about, and a free agent isn't vaulting over anyone for a month.

My guess is you are looking at a guaranteed 4-5 weeks of Asiata getting the most work.

massraider said:
menobrown said:
What's the other option? Yeah, I think he'll get 10-15 carries. Who else is there? McKinnon 0-10 carries, CP 0-5 carries.

There's no one else. A trade is barely worth taking about, and a free agent isn't vaulting over anyone for a month.

My guess is you are looking at a guaranteed 4-5 weeks of Asiata getting the most work.
I think Asiata holds the fort while they keep plugging McKinnon in there to learn passpro. Then they will give the kid a try because outside of soft hands, Asiata's a JAG. That's the definition of a 3rd down back.

massraider said:
menobrown said:

I think Asiata holds the fort while they keep plugging McKinnon in there to learn passpro. Then they will give the kid a try because outside of soft hands, Asiata's a JAG. That's the definition of a 3rd down back.
I think he needs to learn more than pass pro... the guy looked raw just playing running back.

McKinnon owners should be rooting for the VIkings to lose, which isn't a difficult proposition at this point.

massraider said:
menobrown said:

I agree with both of the last comments. Asiata will hold the fort down and if you consider a RB2 to be a top 24 fantasy RB I think he's a RB2 mainly because I think he'll be actively involved in passing game.

But I just don't think it's sustainable for long, like as in a few weeks.

massraider said:
menobrown said:

I think he needs to learn more than pass pro... the guy looked raw just playing running back.

McKinnon owners should be rooting for the VIkings to lose, which isn't a difficult proposition at this point.
I actually think he looks very natural as both a runner and receiver but no doubt he's a raw player.

Per PFF he pass blocked on 2 plays and gave up a sack. Asiata was clean on all 11 so that's a big difference but for as raw as McKinnon is he played about 1/3rd fo the snaps and only 5 less passing plays than Asiata, a gap I would expect Mckinnon to close instead of seeing it widen.

Fact of the matter is as of right now Mckinnon backs up the worst starting RB in the league and has high upside measurables. That's worth a hold to me but for sure without any doubt Asiata is the guy to have right now.

Todays press conference with HC Mike Zimmer

Twice Mike Zimmer mentions Jerick McKinnon during the press conference and he also mentions Joe Banyard. He says these are the players the team has been working with all of training camp and preseason.

Obviously McKinnon is a somewhat smaller player who does not have much experience with pass protection. However he is the most dynamic runner on the Vikings roster in my opinion, then Joe Banyard. These players may only be used in a complimentary role in the short term, but I would expect those roles to grow over the course of the season.

massraider said:
menobrown said:

The problem with that thought process is that Teddy Bridgewater is likely to start getting starts at some point this season. I doubt they are going to put their franchise QB out there as a rookie with a raw rookie who is just learning to pass protect in the backfield with him.

massraider said:
menobrown said:

The problem with that thought process is that Teddy Bridgewater is likely to start getting starts at some point this season. I doubt they are going to put their franchise QB out there as a rookie with a raw rookie who is just learning to pass protect in the backfield with him.
I doubt they will either. What they may do, though, is to leave Cassel in there as a tackling dummy and allow McKinnon to learn and not put Bridgewater in until they can make sure they can keep him upright.

massraider said:
menobrown said:

For what it's worth Asiata graded out pretty poorly as a pass blocker last season. Small sample size and he did well in week one but last year he gave up 3 sacks on 25 pass blocking plays, per PFF. He's got more size but not sure he's some excellent pass blocker or so good he'd keep Mckinnon down if he's running poorly.

massraider said:
menobrown said:

I actually think he looks very natural as both a runner and receiver but no doubt he's a raw player.

Per PFF he pass blocked on 2 plays and gave up a sack. Asiata was clean on all 11 so that's a big difference but for as raw as McKinnon is he played about 1/3rd fo the snaps and only 5 less passing plays than Asiata, a gap I would expect Mckinnon to close instead of seeing it widen.

Fact of the matter is as of right now Mckinnon backs up the worst starting RB in the league and has high upside measurables. That's worth a hold to me but for sure without any doubt Asiata is the guy to have right now.
Let me see if I get this straight.

Asiata "has no historyof ever carrying the mail" (even though he weighs 235 lbs) therefore he's "guaranteed" to last only 4-5 weeks and because with 74 total career touches (averaging one TD every 15 touches) you've concluded he's the "worst starting RB in the league" (worse than T-Rich?) and furthermore in that timespan a rookie who has thus far given up a sack on 50% of his passing snaps will soon be closing the gap on touches.

Those are some serious leaps in that logic.

I'm not predicting RB1 performance but Peyton Hillis was JAG both before and after he put up 270 carries and 1200 rush yards. Put a JAG behind an A+ rushing O-line (according to M. Bitonti) and no telling what he might do. I would agree with the RB2 potential but seems WAY too early to jump to all the other conclusions about how long Asiata might maintain the role.

I'm going to hold McKinnon as long as I can if things stay this way. It is still early in the season. Even if Asiata produces, McKinnon could carve out a role and all it would take is one injury for him to get precious mid-late season opportunity.

massraider said:
menobrown said:

Asiata "has no historyof ever carrying the mail" (even though he weighs 235 lbs) therefore he's "guaranteed" to last only 4-5 weeks and because with 74 total career touches (averaging one TD every 15 touches) you've concluded he's the "worst starting RB in the league" (worse than T-Rich?) and furthermore in that timespan a rookie who has thus far given up a sack on 50% of his passing snaps will soon be closing the gap on touches.

I'm not predicting RB1 performance but Peyton Hillis was JAG both before and after he put up 270 carries and 1200 rush yards. Put a JAG behind an A+ rushing O-line (according to M. Bitonti) and no telling what he might do. I would agree with the RB2 potential but seems WAY too early to jump to all the other conclusions about how long Asiata might maintain the role.
Yes Asiata is the worst starting RB in the league. It's not even close actually.

I never used the word "guarantee", please show enough courtesy to not make up statements and attribute them to me.

Peyton Hillis was a JAG but he's a better athlete than Asiata and produced more in the SEC than Asiata did in the MWC. Even in the JAG world their are different levels.

massraider said:
menobrown said:

He looked horrendous behind that A+ line last week. Was it 13 carries for 36?

The question becomes, does the line make the RB or the RB make the line. They can grade out as fantastic run blockers when ADP is running the ball. Hell, those atrocious lines that had Barry Sanders dodging sideways right after he took the ball back in the day probably ranked high because Barry was able to make something out of nothing.

And this one TD in every 15 touches is a bit misleading. He had a game where he got three TD's thus skewing his very small sample size into something that can't possibly be maintained. If he got 300 carries in a season, he would have to score 20 TD's to keep up that average. And for his career, he has a TD every 18.5 touches not 15.

The guy is 27 years old and couldn't beat out Toby Gerhart for RB2 on the team with a career YPC of 3.6. The entire time he's played behind an O-Line that last year he got a 3.8 YPC while ADP had 4.5 and Toby Gerhart had a 7.9 YPC.

Yeah, he's the next Peyton Hillis :rolleyes:

What's frustrating for me, is that he gets receptions like a poor mans Danny Woodhead. Which gives him insane value. Goal line carries plus 6-8 receptions a game... I don't care if he averages 1.0 yards per carry. 7 receptions, a TD, and 30 yards is money

What's frustrating for me, is that he gets receptions like a poor mans Danny Woodhead. Which gives him insane value. Goal line carries plus 6-8 receptions a game... I don't care if he averages 1.0 yards per carry. 7 receptions, a TD, and 30 yards is money
How is that frustrating for you? Sounds like you are complaining about found money?

How is that frustrating for you? Sounds like you are complaining about found money?
I was thinking free beer, but that's a great reference!

I was thinking free beer, but that's a great reference!
Frustrating because he is so terribly bad and ineffective in real life football. So his lifespan is going to be short

Has anyone trade for Asista or traded him away? I'm shopping him and receiving zero interest..
No one bit in my league. I don't think anyone's going to trade anything of value for Asiata until something conclusive about Peterson being out for the year is expressed.

I think there'd be more interest in Asiata if Minessota didn't suck so bad last week (not his fault, but that's the perception). You see they lost badly and you see Asiata's YPC and it tells you "stay away." I expect a bounce back game for the team this week with consistent points for Asiata, which should improve his stock for next week.

Has anyone trade for Asista or traded him away? I'm shopping him and receiving zero interest..
Threw a dozen offers out there, a couple counters, landed the following:

Gave AP & Asiata

Received Chris Ivory & Jordan Reed (Dropping for an RB stash)

Their headache now and I've got room for another stash.

League is: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, K, DEF , PPR and PR/KR

Historically norv turner has been fanasty rb gold. Why can't asista be fanasty silver. I would take that.

I traded him and Bobby Rainey for Sanu, a 2016 2nd rd and 2016 3rd rd picks, and Levine Tiololo (throw in). Dynasty & Devy league.

Gave AP & Asiata

You gave up too much IMO. Min lost their starting RB on Friday and went from AP to Asiata. It's likely the guy never got first team reps for the week and was underprepared to take the lead role. Even then, in PPR leagues, he scored as the 10th best back. And that includes really good weeks from 2 backups (Rainey and Davis) and Sproles (who won't get that kind of work often).The guy you gave the entire Min backfield for scored 8 points less last week vs a worse run defense, away from home, in a game that they were up pretty big in (17 points at one point I think) He doesn't get many catches, and is a committee back. Even in a game where he rushed for 100 yards and a TD, he was worth less than Asiata last weekend. Outside of a 71 yard run, his YPC is around 3.2

Gave AP & Asiata

You gave up too much IMO. Min lost their starting RB on Friday and went from AP to Asiata. It's likely the guy never got first team reps for the week and was underprepared to take the lead role. Even then, in PPR leagues, he scored as the 10th best back. And that includes really good weeks from 2 backups (Rainey and Davis) and Sproles (who won't get that kind of work often).The guy you gave the entire Min backfield for scored 8 points less last week vs a worse run defense, away from home, in a game that they were up pretty big in (17 points at one point I think) He doesn't get many catches, and is a committee back. Even in a game where he rushed for 100 yards and a TD, he was worth less than Asiata last weekend. Outside of a 71 yard run, his YPC is around 3.2
This might help justify it, even by your opinion. Might not.

5 man bench and I'm already stashing Gordon. I traded the headache away and freed up some valuable bench room, given the status of my team. (11 starters, 5 man bench).

While I agree, Asiata has value, stashing AP and waiting for the results there just wasn't worth it to me any longer. I get a reasonable flex play and they get the burden of deciding what to do with AP / wondering what may happen with Asiata/Vikings. So, that was my reasoning. If that helps anyone else on what to get out of Asiata/AP.

Wilson, Russell SEA
Bradshaw, Ahmad IND
Charles, Jamaal KCC
Ivory, Chris NYJ RB
Martin, Doug TBB RB
Rainey, Bobby TBB RB
Adams, Davante GBP WR
Cruz, Victor NYG WR
Gordon, Josh CLE WR
Marshall, Brandon CHI WR
Roberts, Andre WAS WR
Wheaton, Markus PIT WR
Paul, Niles WAS TE
Reed, Jordan WAS TE
Parkey, Cody PHI PK
Texans, Houston HOU

Siggy Bloom:

I listened to this.

When asked if Jerick McKinnon would be a factor if Peterson is not available Paul merely says "no".

He then says that draftniks and so on are the only people interested in McKinnon, but that is it.

Why would anyone trust this lack of analysis? It is so poor that NO analysis would be better.

I would be happy to debate Paul's take on McKinnon if there were any substance to his position.

Basically he is saying that draftniks do not know what they are talking about. You could logically extend this point to the Vikings scouting department who used a 3rd round draft pick on McKinnon as well.

As far as Paul being "tuned in" to the Vikings? Based on his comments I see no reason to think so. He has done "no" research into a very relevant player to the Vikings team. So why would Sigmund or anyone take his word as gospel about the situation?

The only logical conclusion is cross marketing for league safe, which does "not" make Paul any more of a expert or authority on the Minnesota Vikings than any other guy you could pull off the street.

As a Vikings fan who loves learning as much about the team I can tell you that I have never found anything Paul has said to be worth my time.

Siggy Bloom:

I listened to this.

When asked if Jerick McKinnon would be a factor if Peterson is not available Paul merely says "no".

He then says that draftniks and so on are the only people interested in McKinnon, but that is it.

Why would anyone trust this lack of analysis? It is so poor that NO analysis would be better.

I would be happy to debate Paul's take on McKinnon if there were any substance to his position.

Basically he is saying that draftniks do not know what they are talking about. You could logically extend this point to the Vikings scouting department who used a 3rd round draft pick on McKinnon as well.

As far as Paul being "tuned in" to the Vikings? Based on his comments I see no reason to think so. He has done "no" research into a very relevant player to the Vikings team. So why would Sigmund or anyone take his word as gospel about the situation?

The only logical conclusion is cross marketing for league safe, which does "not" make Paul any more of a expert or authority on the Minnesota Vikings than any other guy you could pull off the street.

As a Vikings fan who loves learning as much about the team I can tell you that I have never found anything Paul has said to be worth my time.
You're quoting "the" wrong words.

Siggy Bloom:

I listened to this.

I knew I wasn't the only jerky guy thinking this.... Quotes don't go around something for emphasis. Quotes go around something a person actually says. I hate it almost as much as people misusing the word irony or ironic.

As for what he said, I don't know what he thinks they are going to get out of McKinnon at this point. He's a project player on a team that's 1-1. The dudes never played the position he's in and Asiata is not nearly as bad as he makes it seem.

McKinnon is a better athlete, but that's about all the advantage he has. Putting him out there at the beginning of games would be almost criminal IMO. He can turn into a good RB, but it will take time.

For those interested, I finally traded both Asista and McKinnon for Sammy Watkins.

A point to of referance

More importantly for FF is that it's 9-0 in terms of points for Asiata to Mckinnon.
That's a myopic view of it. If Asiata can't run he's not going to stay on the field in the NFL. If he's not on the field in the NFL, he's not going to score any of those FF points.
This is an example of a fantasy football logical fallacy.

You think that because Asiata is mediocre, it will lead to Asiata being benched, which will lead to McKinnon taking his place, which will lead to McKinnon scoring points.
Yeah, it totally ignores the fact that Asiata being the superior pass protector will likely keep him on the field regardless.
i'm guessing theFanatic lost out on Asiata and had to settle for McKinnon on the waiver wire.
Or worse, thought he was smarter than NFL coaches and picked up McKinnon over Asiata.
Look... I don't think that I'm smarter than NFL coaches but I DO think we've seen the last of Peterson this year and so when I was presented an opportunity to snag Asiata or McKinnon I went with the higher ceiling... Never expected much in his first week but I expect him to begin to be implemented into the gameplan a little more each week and eventually this season I believe he will be the better fantasy asset... Could I be wrong? Absolutely!! I tend to be the kind of player that swings for the higher ceiling play and it has often served me well...

I'm excited to see what the kid can do

Vikings OC Norv Turner said he will use both Matt Asiata and Jerick McKinnon in Sunday's game against the Saints.
Turner added that he might use one back more than the other if someone gets a hot hand
that's not a tremendous endorsement of asiata

No one is saying McKinnon isn't going to see touches. Like I said, he saw 20% of the snaps last week which is more than what a lot of 2nd string RBs see on a weekly basis. I don't think anyone would be surprised to see a dude with his measurables break off a big play or two either. Ultimately however, you have to ask yourself if you'll ever be comfortable starting him if he's going to be in a limited role. I feel like some people are stashing McKinnon hoping for a 3-down back which very likely won't be the case. Even if Asiata were to go down with an injury, you'd likely see Banyard come in and some get work. They are grooming McKinnon, he's a work in process.

Vikings OC Norv Turner said he will use both Matt Asiata and Jerick McKinnon in Sunday's game against the Saints.
Turner added that he might use one back more than the other if someone gets a hot hand
that's not a tremendous endorsement of asiata
Minnesota might play the whole game from behind like they did against New England so it may not even matter. Brees is a different player at home than on the road and I'm not convinced Minnesota's secondary will do much about it.

Siggy Bloom:

I listened to this.

I knew I wasn't the only jerky guy thinking this.... Quotes don't go around something for emphasis. Quotes go around something a person actually says. I hate it almost as much as people misusing the word irony or ironic.As for what he said, I don't know what he thinks they are going to get out of McKinnon at this point. He's a project player on a team that's 1-1. The dudes never played the position he's in and Asiata is not nearly as bad as he makes it seem.

McKinnon is a better athlete, but that's about all the advantage he has. Putting him out there at the beginning of games would be almost criminal IMO. He can turn into a good RB, but it will take time.
Well I find your entire post to be irony...

:-)

No one is saying McKinnon isn't going to see touches. Like I said, he saw 20% of the snaps last week
32% actually and when the main argument against him is how raw he it stands to reason that number should grow considering this was only his second game.
Sorry, 21 snaps. 32%. Kind of embarrassing since I just typed up all RB touches and snaps from week 2 here.
No sweat, I know you've been awfully busy on the Asiata side of this debate all day.

Users who are viewing this thread