What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Asiata vs. McKinnon (1 Viewer)

he's not the first offensive player that can't tackle. I wouldn't read much into his efforts there
Its not that he didn't tackle him. Its the fact he got out hustled and couldn't catch a defensive end... He was right next to him and got out ran. Either he is hurt or he is no where near the explosiveness we thought he had.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some guys in here seem really invested in Asiata. If you are relying on this guy, it means you messed up somewhere in the draft. I hope no one is relying on this "starting RB."

:bag: Yes, I messed up in a draft and he is my starter, but I am not proud of it and I do not think he is good at all.
All relative.

In larger leagues, Asiata is quite a find. I'd much rather start him than the other committee RB2s-3s that haven't formed a defined role (Waiting for the Hills & Crowells to pan out). Even with McKinnon there, Asiata will put up some decent numbers with a respectable floor. While he's far from AP, his talent isn't as bad as some of you make him out to be either.

RBs with 15-20 carries a week, GL and pass catching don't always come out of thin air

...but this one did, so I'll take whatever I can get it. :D

he's not the first offensive player that can't tackle. I wouldn't read much into his efforts there
Its not that he didn't tackle him. Its the fact he got out hustled and couldn't catch a defensive end... He was right next to him and got out ran. Either he is hurt or he is no where near the explosiveness we thought he
Wow, there is a terrible read on what happened. He didn't get out run by Peppers. It wasn't a sprint from spot A to B. First and foremost, McKinnon was running with 1 agenda, pop the ball out of peppers hands. It was pretty clear to see that is what he was doing. He was trying to stay out of Peppers vision and pop him from behind. As it got later in the return, he sidestepped a turning around linebacker who would have lit McKinnon up. At that stage he wouldn't have caught him because if he ran straight at him, the aforementioned linebacker would have lit him up. so he sidesteps to save his ### and peppers continues to endzone.

DepthCharts said:
RealReactions said:
mnmplayer said:
Its not that he didn't tackle him. Its the fact he got out hustled and couldn't catch a defensive end... He was right next to him and got out ran. Either he is hurt or he is no where near the explosiveness we thought he
Wow, there is a terrible read on what happened. He didn't get out run by Peppers. It wasn't a sprint from spot A to B. First and foremost, McKinnon was running with 1 agenda, pop the ball out of peppers hands. It was pretty clear to see that is what he was doing. He was trying to stay out of Peppers vision and pop him from behind. As it got later in the return, he sidestepped a turning around linebacker who would have lit McKinnon up. At that stage he wouldn't have caught him because if he ran straight at him, the aforementioned linebacker would have lit him up. so he sidesteps to save his ### and peppers continues to endzone.
You still have to chase down a guy to pop the ball out... or are you saying people that are trying to pop the ball out run slower on purpose? :confused:

DepthCharts said:
RealReactions said:
mnmplayer said:
You still have to chase down a guy to pop the ball out... or are you saying people that are trying to pop the ball out run slower on purpose? :confused:
The other option here is that McKinnon just might be soft. He blocked soft. To block a guy that big, you gotta get mean and get in their face and bulldog them. McKinnon one arm tackled them which made him into a turn style. He wanted no part in tackling Peppers like he wanted no part in blocking. The guy has mad running skills, and his hands are better than I thought (when Ponder's not throwing to him), but I'm wondering about his heart. Half of pass pro is just the willing to stand up to a monster of a man bearing down.

Oh, and I know Ponder is not very good, but he's been a starter and beaten GB in GB. What the heck was that yesterday? That was atrocious!

DepthCharts said:
RealReactions said:
mnmplayer said:
Its not that he didn't tackle him. Its the fact he got out hustled and couldn't catch a defensive end... He was right next to him and got out ran. Either he is hurt or he is no where near the explosiveness we thought he was
Haha the guy that commented saying I had a horrible read clearly never played tackle football because that is the dumbest comment I have ever heard. You are saying he slowed down while trying to chase him to punch the ball out? I hope you weren't being serious with that comment. Go back and watch the play McKinnon, after running half ### trying to tackle him dove from behind to act like he was trying to grab his leg. Clearly showing he wasn't going for the ball but the tackle and got out hustled by a devensive end.... I can see why McKinnon isn't the starter he is just a straight up #####. He doesn't have the set of balls to man up and take a hit for his qb. He obviously is a better runner that asiata no question but asiata will stick his nose in front of a 250lb linebacker sprinting into the backfield just to make sure his quarterback doesn't get hit. Until McKinnon changes he will be nothing more than a "change of pace" back.

DepthCharts said:
RealReactions said:
mnmplayer said:
Its not that he didn't tackle him. Its the fact he got out hustled and couldn't catch a defensive end... He was right next to him and got out ran. Either he is hurt or he is no where near the explosiveness we thought he was
Haha the guy that commented saying I had a horrible read clearly never played tackle football because that is the dumbest comment I have ever heard. You are saying he slowed down while trying to chase him to punch the ball out? I hope you weren't being serious with that comment. Go back and watch the play McKinnon, after running half ### trying to tackle him dove from behind to act like he was trying to grab his leg. Clearly showing he wasn't going for the ball but the tackle and got out hustled by a devensive end.... I can see why McKinnon isn't the starter he is just a straight up #####. He doesn't have the set of balls to man up and take a hit for his qb. He obviously is a better runner that asiata no question but asiata will stick his nose in front of a 250lb linebacker sprinting into the backfield just to make sure his quarterback doesn't get hit. Until McKinnon changes he will be nothing more than a "change of pace" back.
Really? He didn't SLOW DOWN, what he did is take an indirect route to peppers!!! His FIRST step was to get behind peppers who was moving right, in an effort to strip the ball from behind. Clearly that is what he is doing from the second it happened! Offensive players often try to strip the ball out of a defenders hands as a priority over tackling the recovering player because defenders are not used to carrying the ball, let alone securing it! In addition, tackling is NOT something coaches desire their offensive players do. I suggest you go ask a RB coach at a level above pop warner what/how he wants his RB's doing once a turnover has happened.

Second point....dude, he didn't dive from behind in an attempt to tackle him, he was DUCKING the freaking LB who just turned around and will now lay him out. Since he was going down, why wouldn't he extend his arm and try to reach his leg? (he had no shot at that time because he knew what was coming, hence why he went down)

Watch the video and you will clearly see McKinnon has 2 agenda's.... get the ball and don't get hurt doing it (head on a swivel). Notice I didn't say TACKLE. Some people can spot this agenda pretty easily, some well, only have the ability to question his manhood. LOL

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2219009-packers-julius-peppers-returns-interception-for-td-does-lambeau-leap

Here is a good look...clearly his agenda is NOT to tackle him. LOL

I totally forgot about the lineman trying to tackle him, again knocking McKinnon off a direct route

Can't believe Asiata ran for 4.8 yards a clip. He ran well. I also think McKinnon was a bit hobbled btw. For people who don't follow either but have heard nothing but polarizing analyses of their athleticism, they probably were confused at what they were seeing.

I'm also happy that the pass pro crap was finally answered. If he can find his man I've seen him hold is own but yeah, he just looked utterly lost.

yeah Asiata did very good. If that fumble didn't happen, we're looking at an additino of 11 yards to make a 86+ yards and a new set of downs to play with. It was a shame.

I'll bump this thread with a fun fact.

CordarelleChaderson @Chad_Scott13 3m3 minutes ago
Matt Asiata: 74 touches, 9 missed tackles Andre Ellington: 75 touches, 3 missed tackles Football is dum.
So, this weeks match-up looks rather ####ty on paper for MIN's run game. DET is allowing the 21st most points to RBs in PPR, giving up 3.3YPC on the ground for the year, but ~4YPC over the past 3 weeks. They've also allowed three rushing TDs to CAR, NYG and NYJ. It's not all bad, specifically for Asiata owners, and here's why..

DET played BUF last week and as I and many have stated before, the MIN dynamic tends to emulate BUF's backfield dynamic in usage. Here are the stat lines for both FJax and Spiller last week..

FJax - 10/49/0 - 7/58/0

Spiller - 10/8/0 - 3/25/0

DET's pass rush is formidable which is why FJax got so much work last week. Spiller blew a blitz pick-up early in the game and found himself in a limited role from there on out. Orton targeted FJax 9 times (Spiller 4 times) in an attempt to relieve some pressure. After watching each of their snaps, it also looks like the interior of that DL can be run on. Some other positives are that it's a home game for MIN, Teddy is healthy and Megatron looks to be very doubtful. Vegas thinks this is going to be a very close game and I tend to agree.

Anyway, I believe Asiata can be inserted into PPR line-ups this week. If MIN's staff has gone over the tape, I think they'll be inclined to incorporate a fair amount of designed RB screens for this Sunday. I think Asiata is going to be heavily involved yet again.

Looks like there is indeed a changing of the guard. Doesn't even matter that McKinnon is blowing blitz pick-ups still, play making ability is winning out.

I'm assuming he's being run now since at least two of Teddy's sacks could be directly attributed to McKinnon. ..And Asiata is running backwards. :lmao:

After today, I have to think that McKinnon will be the feature back going forward. Unfortunately it's very possible he'll get vultured on the goal line by Asiata, if the Vikes ever get it there.

As an owner of both in a ppr league, this is not the worst thing that could happen. Hopefully, now McKinnon can be inserted in lineup as a rb2, with upside.

Asiata may have to go to the waiver wire

As an owner of both in a ppr league, this is not the worst thing that could happen. Hopefully, now McKinnon can be inserted in lineup as a rb2, with upside.

Asiata may have to go to the waiver wire
Owner of both as well, in separate leagues. No question that McKinnon is a more dynamic player with more talent. But if I'm the Vikes, not sure I simply give the whole load to McKinnon unless pass pro is no longer an issue. From a fantasy perspective, McKinnon is now the guy to own, but not sure Asiata is simply a wire guy, either. Asiata has been effective, and I would think the Vikes find the roles best suited for them (McKinnon starting, Asiata taking short yardage and stripe carries).

Would rather have McKinnon at this point, but not sure I would advise dropping Asiata just yet.

But, but, Asiate was going to have 1100 yards and 10 TD's. He's getting all the carries. He's getting the opportunity. McKinnon can't pass block and never will learn. The coaches don't trust McKinnon on pass plays. But, but....

asiata hasnt been in since his bad holding penalty. guessing hes done for the night. brutal game for him with the fumble and hold. wonder if he loses even more time to mckinnon. rough backfield to own right now.
Asiata is the starter. That is why he is sitting in a 30+ game.
asiata hasnt been in since his bad holding penalty. guessing hes done for the night. brutal game for him with the fumble and hold. wonder if he loses even more time to mckinnon. rough backfield to own right now.
Nah, right now looks like what someone else said, that the Vikes are just saving him. They are prob trying to get McKinnon some heavy play time tonight.
ExactlySame reason he sat the last series vs Falcons and people here took is as an omen that McKinnon was surpassing him :lmao:

Gotta love the shark pool
Time for you to disappear.

But, but, Asiate was going to have 1100 yards and 10 TD's. He's getting all the carries. He's getting the opportunity. McKinnon can't pass block and never will learn. The coaches don't trust McKinnon on pass plays. But, but....
Yeah, it happened. I thought it may be more gradual but this was always a possibility. McKinnon was still absolutely awful in pass pro. when he found himself lost (did a good job when he could find his man per usual) and can solely be attributed for at least two Teddy sacks. If you watch film, you'll see it. It doesn't exactly matter to this thread or MIN anymore though, obviously.

Yeah, it happened. I thought it may be more gradual but this was always a possibility. McKinnon was still absolutely awful in pass pro. when he found himself lost (did a good job when he could find his man per usual) and can solely be attributed for at least two Teddy sacks. If you watch film, you'll see it. It doesn't exactly matter to this thread or MIN anymore though, obviously.
I agree with everything but the bolded. Bad pass pro can only go on for so long. That said, he can and hopefully will improve by fire.

I agree with everything but the bolded. Bad pass pro can only go on for so long. That said, he can and hopefully will improve by fire.
Teddy was sacked 8 times vs. DET and McKinnon was left on the field regardless. Sure, DET has a rather formidable pass rush but they only had 12 sacks on the year coming into this game. I'm not placing all 8 sacks on McKinnon but he contributed. It just doesn't seem like MIN really cared during the game.

Even though I have McKinnon stashed on a few teams and hope he pans out as the starter, I don't trust Minnesota coaches. I could see them easily going back to Asiata as the main guy next week, especially since the offense did so poorly yesterday with McKinnon as the main back (not that it was his fault, but they might wanna keep mixing it up till they find a formula that results in an offense that produces).

Matt Asiata: 74 touches, 9 missed tackles Andre Ellington: 75 touches, 3 missed tackles Football is dum.
So, this weeks match-up looks rather ####ty on paper for MIN's run game. DET is allowing the 21st most points to RBs in PPR, giving up 3.3YPC on the ground for the year, but ~4YPC over the past 3 weeks. They've also allowed three rushing TDs to CAR, NYG and NYJ. It's not all bad, specifically for Asiata owners, and here's why..

DET played BUF last week and as I and many have stated before, the MIN dynamic tends to emulate BUF's backfield dynamic in usage. Here are the stat lines for both FJax and Spiller last week..

FJax - 10/49/0 - 7/58/0

DET's pass rush is formidable which is why FJax got so much work last week. Spiller blew a blitz pick-up early in the game and found himself in a limited role from there on out. Orton targeted FJax 9 times (Spiller 4 times) in an attempt to relieve some pressure. After watching each of their snaps, it also looks like the interior of that DL can be run on. Some other positives are that it's a home game for MIN, Teddy is healthy and Megatron looks to be very doubtful. Vegas thinks this is going to be a very close game and I tend to agree.

Anyway, I believe Asiata can be inserted into PPR line-ups this week. If MIN's staff has gone over the tape, I think they'll be inclined to incorporate a fair amount of designed RB screens for this Sunday. I think Asiata is going to be heavily involved yet again.
:X
:lol: In hindsight it was the correct read. McKinnon was targeted 6 times, Asiata twice and DET's pass rush was formidable. MIN just decided to hang Teddy out to dry to the tune of 8 sacks. It's akin to BUF leaving Spiller in after he almost got Orton's head taken off two weeks ago.

FJax - 10/49/0 - 7/58/0

:lol: In hindsight it was the correct read. McKinnon was targeted 6 times, Asiata twice and DET's pass rush was formidable. MIN just decided to hang Teddy out to dry to the tune of 8 sacks. It's akin to BUF leaving Spiller in after he almost got Orton's head taken off two weeks ago.
Correct read? It's the opposite of what happened.

flapgreen said:
SameSongNDance said:
Bazinga! said:

CordarelleChaderson ‏@Chad_Scott13 3m3 minutes ago

FJax - 10/49/0 - 7/58/0

Correct read? It's the opposite of what happened.
Read referring to the game state of how DET would attack the QB and how MIN should combat it by utilizing their RBs in the passing game and leaving in the superior pass blocker. Obviously my conclusion was wrong but seeing how this was the most sacks DET has had in a game since 1997, MIN probably should have taken my advice.

SameSongNDance said:
Bazinga! said:

FJax - 10/49/0 - 7/58/0

Teddy left himself out to dry, rookie QB not ready yet for prime time, it be a long season for either MN RB, teams will try make Teddy beat them, and with CP, and Jennings, and some other no names WR's, teams will put 8 or more in the box to stop the run and make Teddy throw the ball

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/298248/vikings-wants-to-get-asiatas-touches-back-up

Vikings wants to get Asiata's touches back up

Coach Mike Zimmer said he wants to get Matt Asiata more touches this week against the Bills.

Zimmer expanded and added that he wants Jerick McKinnon's touches to come down from Week 6. Against the Lions last Sunday, McKinnon out-touched Asiata 17-3 and out-snapped Asiata 48-15. Zimmer wants that to change because Asiata is "dependable," and added that running backs who can't pass-protect can "get the quarterback killed." We take that as a direct reference to the raw McKinnon. McKinnon is a high-upside stach, while Asiata is a low-upside RB3.
Source: Joe Buscaglia on Twitter
Oct 15 - 12:32 PM

Yeah, MIN definitely should have taken my advice for the DET game.

Coach Mike Zimmer said he wants to get Matt Asiata more touches this week against the Bills.
Zimmer expanded and added that he wants Jerick McKinnon's touches to come down from Week 6. Against the Lions last Sunday, McKinnon out-touched Asiata 17-3 and out-snapped Asiata 48-15. Zimmer wants that to change because Asiata is "dependable," and added that running backs who can't pass-protect can "get the quarterback killed." We take that as a direct reference to the raw McKinnon. McKinnon is a high-upside stach, while Asiata is a low-upside RB3.

changing of the guard Deeeez NutZZZZZZ

Asiago Bagel is still the man...Bridgewater looks like Cinderella once the clock strikes 12 with McKinnon in there

changing of the guard Deeeez NutZZZZZZ

Asiago Bagel is still the man...Bridgewater looks like Cinderella once the clock strikes 12 with McKinnon in there
What I don't understand is how they could have reviewed tape and decided it was a good idea to trot McKinnon out there for essentially the entire game. Like, if a laymen like me realized that you were going to need to keep Asiata in to protect Teddy how could they not have seen it?

Having watched the game, McKinnon when in the open field made at least 1 guy miss and sometimes two almost EVERY TIME he touched the ball ... so I can see why they want him out there. He can also catch passes, but yeah they picked a poor time to lean on him like that. IT seems the perfect workload split would be to use Asiata for goal line and 3rd down duties where he excels and leave McKinnon in on all other downs. Additionally, I would love to see both Asiata and McKinnon in on some plays together where Asiata could play a FB role where he has the option to pass protect, run block or catch a pass or two when the defense ignores him.

Sounds like the HC & OC are in disagreement.

Just use Felton for pass protection and he stays in for runs which he is great at also.

MIN has Patterson, Wright, Jennings, and throwing McKinnon in just makes the offense better. It looked like hell Sunday I know but Asiata staying in to block isn't going to help with that, sorry it's not, because you can make up for the lost blocking skill by using Felton and you lose the added speed and playmaking on offense. Use one of the best FBs in the league more and less of their crappy backup TEs and the problem is solved. They could also use McKinnon for dumpoffs and screens and that would help TB get the ball out his hands quicker.

Yeah, MIN definitely should have taken my advice for the DET game.

You should send them an email.

Considering they made the move away from Asista w/o telling anyone, why would I believe them when they say that they are really going to give him more touches now?

Users who are viewing this thread