What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bands you should like, but don't. (2 Viewers)

If
I can tell the people listing them here haven’t ever even listened to them

I've tried to make it through Yankee Hotel Foxtrot a bunch of times. And other songs, too. I check out Jeff Tweedy's videos on YouTube.

It's not a total blind spot for me, and as I always say to myself, I don't necessarily not like them, I just don't get them yet.
i wasn’t talking about you. I’m talking about those that say they’re only “alt-country” (which only 2.5 albums are) or people that hate them because Rolling Stone magazine allegedly worships them or because only “music snobs” listen to them.

also I wasn’t just referring to Wilco with that statement - I can tell some of these other bands getting hate by some that are clueless in their criticisms.
I should explain why I said what I said because that indeed is the spirit of the thread.

The Grateful Dead — I love Phish and some other jam bands. But I’ve always found the Dead boring and unfocused. I prefer to hear Jerry Garcia when he’s with JGB or doing sessions.

The Pixies — I love Nirvana, whom they majorly influenced, and I like what I’ve heard from Black Francis and Kim Deal after the band broke up. But I find the Pixies to be too manic and chaotic to be enjoyable.

Pavement — I like quite a few bands they have influenced, but I think their songs sound like a shell of what they could be. As with Tom Waits, I like their material better when it is performed by others. I prefer Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks to Pavement.

Pavement — I like quite a few bands they have influenced, but I think their songs sound like a shell of what they could be.

If you don't mind me pinning you down, how so? Could they be more experimental and jammy, or are the songs too much like unfinished sketches and demo-quality stuff for your taste.

Curious.

Also, I found the Pixies' mania and chaos somewhat appealing as a youth, maybe less so as I get older. But I still love them for their output, especially Trompe Le Monde.

Death Cab for Cutie.

Sometimes I just let the Algorithm present me with music and sure enough, everytime DCfC comes on my reaction is "wtf is that?".
For me, the lyrics elevate Death Cab for Cutie in a big way. In fact, Ben Gibbard is probably one of my five favorite lyricists ever in music. Not saying that lyrics are more important than the music, as the music has to be good for good/great lyrics to really make a big difference, but Death Cab is a rare instance where the lyrics are as good as the music.

Over time, just about every artist where I could say "I like that band" has instead whittled down to "I like a couple/few of their songs".

I have always maintained that Prince is the most overrated artist ever. I mean, come on, he didn't intend Kiss to be a real song, did he? It's a novelty/joke song, right?

I think Soundgarden is another band that just doesn't do it for me. I like a few songs but something about them just doesn't quite connect with me.

Chris Cornell is just such an amazing vocalist though

Like swap him in for Geddy or Plant and you’ve got a good band
He certainly had a great voice, he just doesn’t quite do it for me for whatever reason.
Maybe my MAD playlist will change your mind. And it's Soundgarden free

Pavement — I like quite a few bands they have influenced, but I think their songs sound like a shell of what they could be.

If you don't mind me pinning you down, how so? Could they be more experimental and jammy, or are the songs too much like unfinished sketches and demo-quality stuff for your taste.

Curious.

Also, I found the Pixies' mania and chaos somewhat appealing as a youth, maybe less so as I get older. But I still love them for their output, especially Trompe Le Monde.
It’s more the unfinished sketches and demo-quality stuff angle.

It’s more the unfinished sketches and demo-quality stuff angle.

I've gotta say that their aesthetic seems to have exemplified the slacker, low-effort nineties, and that notion was always part of their esteem among the critics of the time that felt the same way.

Their pop songs are, to me, great and almost preciously constructed, which is contra popular and critical opinion. They sound great by dint of effort, not lack of it.

Darling don't you go and cut your hair
Do you think it's going to make him change
I'm just a boy with a new haircut
And it's a pretty nice haircut...

Race on down to the practice room
Where tension and fame's a career career career career

Or making a sentiment like

Silent kid, no one to remind you
You've got no hip, no reels to remind you
Silent kid, don't take your pawnshop home on the road, ******* you
Silent kid, don't lose your graceful tone

Sound slacker instead of twee and pleading. Perhaps it's because I'm a Pavement fan, but I think any additions or polish on the songs would ruin them.

Does "supposed to" mean artists that are similar to other artists you like but don't, artists who are popular that you don't like, artists that are critically acclaimed that you don't like, something else?

I don't feel like I'm "supposed to" like anything, so I'm not sure what the intent of this question / thread is.

Does "supposed to" mean artists that are similar to other artists you like but don't, artists who are popular that you don't like, artists that are critically acclaimed that you don't like, something else?

I don't feel like I'm "supposed to" like anything, so I'm not sure what the intent of this question / thread is.
I assume it means a band or artist you would seem likely to like based on ones you do.

For example, if someone was a big fan of Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains, it might seem safe to assume they'd also be a fan of Soundgarden, but if they are not, that would seem like one they "should" like that they do not.

I assume it means a band or artist you would seem likely to like based on ones you do.

For example, if someone was a big fan of Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains, it might seem safe to assume they'd also be a fan of Soundgarden, but if they are not, that would seem like one they "should" like that they do not.
This is correct.

Maybe critically popular and billboard popular bands. Others that would fit might be the white stripes.

This is correct.
This thread definitely turned quickly into what popular/best selling/music snob/little known band do you think is terrible/overrated.

I would love to see a list of bands similar to “this terrible/overrated band” that you actually like.

I know a few have done this but only a small minority.

This is correct.
This thread definitely turned quickly into what popular/best selling/music snob/little known band do you think is terrible/overrated.

I would love to see a list of bands similar to “this terrible/overrated band” that you actually like.

Most of the threads just become "list something you haven't seen posted yet"

If we are being honest, I answer these, but it's only 1/2 serious because I largely reject the idea of there being music I should or am supposed to like.

If

I've tried to make it through Yankee Hotel Foxtrot a bunch of times. And other songs, too. I check out Jeff Tweedy's videos on YouTube.

It's not a total blind spot for me, and as I always say to myself, I don't necessarily not like them, I just don't get them yet.
i wasn’t talking about you. I’m talking about those that say they’re only “alt-country” (which only 2.5 albums are) or people that hate them because Rolling Stone magazine allegedly worships them or because only “music snobs” listen to them.

also I wasn’t just referring to Wilco with that statement - I can tell some of these other bands getting hate by some that are clueless in their criticisms.
I don't understand the purpose of your post. Why say "- I can tell some of these other bands getting hate by some that are clueless in their criticisms."?
So somebody doesn't like a band, tries to articulate why they don't like them and you respond that they are clueless in their criticisms. Huh?
So I don't like a band and I have to make a convincing argument to you why I don't like them? Isn't music about taste? Not everyone has the same tastes, so not everyone likes the same bands.
I see lots of bands named in here that I love. But, I'm not going to try to convince others to like them like I do.
Just as I don't want anybody trying to convince me my dislike of a band is wrong.

If

I don't understand the purpose of your post. Why say "- I can tell some of these other bands getting hate by some that are clueless in their criticisms."?
So somebody doesn't like a band, tries to articulate why they don't like them and you respond that they are clueless in their criticisms. Huh?
So I don't like a band and I have to make a convincing argument to you why I don't like them? Isn't music about taste? Not everyone has the same tastes, so not everyone likes the same bands.
I see lots of bands named in here that I love. But, I'm not going to try to convince others to like them like I do.
Just as I don't want anybody trying to convince me my dislike of a band is wrong.
I said “some” - not “every” and I never tried to convince anyone to like a band they don’t.

I said what I said and I’ll only address arguments that address what I said.

If

I said “some” - not “every” and I never tried to convince anyone to like a band they don’t.

I directly quoted you and you respond like you were misquoted? Interesting.
Let's try this again. You stated "I can tell some of these other bands getting hate by some that are clueless in their criticisms". How can you judge they’re clueless in their criticisms?

If

I directly quoted you and you respond like you were misquoted? Interesting.
Let's try this again. You stated "I can tell some of these other bands getting hate by some that are clueless in their criticisms". How can you judge they’re clueless in their criticisms?

I didn’t claim you misquoted me. Just stop.

I pointed out some of the misconceptions already. Some of them I’d just rather not really get into (there's some beyond obvious trolling in here).

I’ll retract it and say I was wrong to say that if you want - I really should anyway. My main point was saying people like bands because their “critical darlings” or the fans are “music snobs” was odd but I suppose I should have just let that go as well.

Last edited:
assume it means a band or artist you would seem likely to like based on ones you do.

Yes, like for instance someone hating the Beatles but loving the Monkees. Or hating Led Zeppelin but loving Greta Van Fleet.

Red Hot Chili Peppers. I find them boring, and the singer's voice sucks. Will Ferrell is awesome though.

Fu Manchu.

Spotify and Pandora insist I should love this band, but I can't get into them and I don't know why. I mean I kinda know why, it's because they're terrible, but that doesn't stop me from loving every other awful stoner rock band I hear.

This is correct.

IDK since I came in hot vs. Radiohead I'd say that there are several in that era/genre I prefer more among them being:
REM
Counting Crows
Screaming Trees

None of them I think are Tier 1, but I'd say each of them have a larger catalog I'd listen to pieces of today.

Then the more mainstream Pumpkins/PJ/Nirvana forming the Tier 1 of that era I still listen to continually.

When I finally got on the internet in the early 2000s I was super confused why Radiohead was thought of as a Tier 1 90s band. They were completely off my radar before/during/since and I went to a ton of shows growing up in the 90s. It is one of the enduring long lasting confusions of mine how people judge them so highly. And I have TRIED to enjoy them. Don't get the appeal AT ALL.

If I had to place radiohead I'd have them down in sort of the Oasis/Faith No More/weezer tier.

IDK since I came in hot vs. Radiohead I'd say that there are several in that era/genre I prefer more among them being:
REM
Counting Crows
Screaming Trees
Haven't thought of Screaming Trees in a long time. Like those guys.

I wouldn't put those three bands in the same genre as Radiohead. Same era for sure. But I am not even sure what genre to put Radiohead in or who would be a similar genre band.

REM
Counting Crows
Screaming Trees
Haven't thought of Screaming Trees in a long time. Like those guys.

I wouldn't put those three bands in the same genre as Radiohead. Same era for sure. But I am not even sure what genre to put Radiohead in or who would be a similar genre band.
Agreed. I don’t think any of those 3 bands are in the same genre as Radiohead.

FWIW, I like all four of them!

I heard Albert Hammond Jr. (guitarist with The Strokes, solo artist) on the Broken Record podcast. He told Justin Richmond about some of his earliest influences and some bands he just doesn't love. Two of these bands he doesn't love are Led Zeppelin and Radiohead. When Richmond asked him why,he couldn't explain it. He said the vocals for LZ, but couldn't elaborate further for either band or some others he named. He just said it comes down to the bands not suiting his taste in music.
So, if a professional musician for over 20 years can't articulate why he doesn't like a certain band, what chance do I have?
I've heard songs/bands that I've loved immediately. Some songs/bands that after multiple listens, I like. Other songs/bands that I just don't like from the 1st listen. Other bands that lose me for part of their careers and then I start to like them again.
I can't really explain any of it.

Steve Miller Band. But actually I don’t think anyone “should” like them because they are horrible. The Nickleback of that era. Nails on a chalkboard for me.

Also the gin blossoms or any similar band that sounds like it would be something chandler from friends would like.

Steve Miller Band. But actually I don’t think anyone “should” like them because they are horrible. The Nickleback of that era. Nails on a chalkboard for me.
You're making me feel better about my classic rock radio thoughts about them when I was young? This was popular? Why?!

Users who are viewing this thread