What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bands you should like, but don't. (1 Viewer)

I agree on some of the Bowie sentiment....I love some of his stuff and some of his stuff I don't get at all.

Peak Bowie was before my time so I may not get it.
I really like Bowie's early stuff. Not a fan of his records from the 80's and then I thought he ended his career with strong releases.

Last edited:
Rolling Stones, never understood the hype, and despite being a massive rock and classic rock fan I’m hard-pressed to find one song I like from them.

I find them listenable but yeah, don't understand the heaps of praise...I know they were big time influencers, but like the Pixies, influence doesn't necessarily mean I want to listen to the music.

i'll never get Radiohead

Not even some of the more mainstream stuff like "Creep" and "Fake Plastic Trees" ??

Radiohead is epic!
Creep
Karma Police

That’s it
Van Halen

I mean I can tolerate a few songs but usually an instant channel change outside of Hot For Teacher

Panama? Any of their earlier hits? Van Hagar power ballads?(okay, maybe I get not liking those :) )

Cmon man!

Eh it’s fine I guess. Just can’t think of a situation where I’d ever be like yeah man play some Van Halen. It just sounds like noise

I do like California Girls and I Can’t Drive 55 so it’s not any one vocalist or anything

I think Soundgarden is another band that just doesn't do it for me. I like a few songs but something about them just doesn't quite connect with me.

Chris Cornell is just such an amazing vocalist though

Like swap him in for Geddy or Plant and you’ve got a good band

I think Soundgarden is another band that just doesn't do it for me. I like a few songs but something about them just doesn't quite connect with me.
If you say Alice in Chains too I reporting you then blocking you.
No I’m a big fan of them, probably my favorite grunge band
Ok, mine too. We can stay ifriends and I’ll forgive (though not forget) your Soundgarden blasphemy.

For various reasons:

Rush; The Doors; Grateful Dead; Springsteen et al; U2 since about 1984; Neil Young; Bob Dylan

The one that comes to mind here is the Foo Fighters. I usually like what I hear, but have never felt compelled to try and see them live or dive into their catalogue.
Same.

Grohl has always seemed inauthentic, like he is putting on an act.

Thank you! They’re my 20yo son’s favorite band and I like a lot of the genre but other than a few songs I have never liked them. I’ve tried, I feel like I should, but just can’t.
I don’t know if it’s an act but it always seems unemotional, almost scripted more than most bands. No doubt other bands actually are scripted more, but I just don’t feel a connection with Foo.

ACDC is one of my least favorite groups and since I don't have any of their records typically I don't have to hear them however, 20 minutes of local rock radio and they typically are somewhere on the play list all day long

I just never connected with this band

Bon Jovi is warmed over garbage.

A couple of songs I don't skip past

Wanted Dead or Alive
Runaway

But yeah, most of the stuff is too poppy and doesn't hold up well IMHO.
I played Runaway for my son just to prove this band had legit talent but typically sold out to mainstream Arena Rock and then it got worse from there

Runaway, and Wanted Dead or Alive are good choices, I also am soft for "Bad Medicine" which for a mainstream rock song, late 80s, I just like the guitar riffs and at the bar with real people around, usually a pretty good drinking song. But yeah mostly bad music

Wilco

I think I like every big indie rock band from the aughts besides Wilco.

War On Drugs is a killer selection. I don't get them, either. Kozalek did a number on those guys.

Yeah, same category as Deathcab for me...music snobs swoon over them, but really they suck and nobody will throw them on anymore.
I listen to Wilco all the time and I am nothing close to a music snob. I can tell the people listing them here haven’t ever even listened to them based on their comments (they’re not just alt-country for one thing).

I honestly could not care less who does or doesn’t like the same music but wouldn’t the people listing bands in here be the real music snobs? I even think some are throwing out some huge names to look cool by not liking them.

Don’t “music snobs” bash bands they don’t like?

I replied to you but Im speaking generally.

Last edited:
Wilco

War On Drugs is a killer selection. I don't get them, either. Kozalek did a number on those guys.

Yeah, same category as Deathcab for me...music snobs swoon over them, but really they suck and nobody will throw them on anymore.
I listen to Wilco all the time and I am nothing close to a music snob. I can tell the people listing them here haven’t ever even listened to them based on their comments (they’re not just alt-country for one thing).

I honestly could not care less who does or doesn’t like the same music but wouldn’t the people listing bands in here be the real music snobs? I even think some are throwing out some huge names to look cool by not liking them. I replied to you but Im speaking generally.
I think everyone has that type of music or band that will never do it for them. Why did I post GNR? Mainly because of Axl. He’s a clown IMO. It’s too bad, because they have a solid band. Sometimes bands get mismanaged and mismarketed also.

Wilco

I honestly could not care less who does or doesn’t like the same music but wouldn’t the people listing bands in here be the real music snobs? I even think some are throwing out some huge names to look cool by not liking them. I replied to you but Im speaking generally.
I think everyone has that type of music or band that will never do it for them. Why did I post GNR? Mainly because of Axl. He’s a clown IMO. It’s too bad, because they have a solid band. Sometimes bands get mismanaged and mismarketed also.

Sure of course, but the point is some people are making up silly reasons why the people that like these bands, like these bands (“critical darlings”; “Rolling Stone Gods”; “music snobs”). Those people are ironically doing the same thing.

And I know some people here haven’t really listened to some of the bands they’re listing based on the comments they make.

People can like or dislike whatever they want for whatever reason they want - but I’d much rather have people discuss music they like than gleefully **** on music others like and even worse have to come up with ridiculous reasons why some one likes that band.

Talking Heads. I can't put my finger on why, but I just never cared for them.

this one I get, even though I don't agree.

A very eclectic sound that certainly wouldn't appeal to many.
It's not the eclecticism that bothers me. Nor is it their influences. This is an artist I SHOULD like, given those two things.

I think some of it may be that I find them pretentious (some of their song and album titles set my teeth on edge). I also am not fond of Byrnes' persona. I was in high school when the Heads started getting big and the cliques I liked the least were way into them, so it's most likely that I'm projecting a bunch of those memories onto the band. Didn't have that problem with The Cars or Blondie, though :shrug:

I can tell the people listing them here haven’t ever even listened to them

I've tried to make it through Yankee Hotel Foxtrot a bunch of times. And other songs, too. I check out Jeff Tweedy's videos on YouTube.

It's not a total blind spot for me, and as I always say to myself, I don't necessarily not like them, I just don't get them yet.

It's not the eclecticism that bothers me. Nor is it their influences. This is an artist I SHOULD like, given those two things.

I think some of it may be that I find them pretentious (some of their song and album titles set my teeth on edge). I also am not fond of Byrnes' persona. I was in high school when the Heads started getting big and the cliques I liked the least were way into them, so it's most likely that I'm projecting a bunch of those memories onto the band. Didn't have that problem with The Cars or Blondie, though :shrug:
I think they got kind of boring after Speaking in Tongues, which coincided with Byrne’s persona becoming more irksome. But that doesn’t detract from my opinion of their first five albums, which I think are amazing.

They’re in the next MAD countdown. Will you give them reconsideration there?
I dunno, Pip. I've been hearing them for 45 years and they don't do much for me. Like I said, I should like them - but they leave me cold.

It seems that some in this thread are just posting music they don't like, as opposed to the original question. I tried to stay true to that, otherwise I'd burn up all of Joe's bandwidth on a million screeds about how awful Billy Joel is.

Speaking of the next MAD countdown, where is Dr Ian and his John Lee Hooker picks? I noticed he made the "yet to submit" list Zegras posted yesterday.

I think they got kind of boring after Speaking in Tongues, which coincided with Byrne’s persona becoming more irksome. But that doesn’t detract from my opinion of their first five albums, which I think are amazing.
Yeah, I realize I may be associating them with a "time, people, and place" thing in my personal life.

If
I can tell the people listing them here haven’t ever even listened to them

I've tried to make it through Yankee Hotel Foxtrot a bunch of times. And other songs, too. I check out Jeff Tweedy's videos on YouTube.

It's not a total blind spot for me, and as I always say to myself, I don't necessarily not like them, I just don't get them yet.
i wasn’t talking about you. I’m talking about those that say they’re only “alt-country” (which only 2.5 albums are) or people that hate them because Rolling Stone magazine allegedly worships them or because only “music snobs” listen to them.

also I wasn’t just referring to Wilco with that statement - I can tell some of these other bands getting hate by some that are clueless in their criticisms.

They’re in the next MAD countdown. Will you give them reconsideration there?
I dunno, Pip. I've been hearing them for 45 years and they don't do much for me. Like I said, I should like them - but they leave me cold.

It seems that some in this thread are just posting music they don't like, as opposed to the original question. I tried to stay true to that, otherwise I'd burn up all of Joe's bandwidth on a million screeds about how awful Billy Joel is.

Speaking of the next MAD countdown, where is Dr Ian and his John Lee Hooker picks? I noticed he made the "yet to submit" list Zegras posted yesterday.
I just texted with him and he said he is turning his list in today.

i wasn’t talking about you.

I see. I've given them an earnest shot, and there are very few big indie bands of the late nineties and aughts that I don't really like. People whose taste I trust love them, so they always sort of stuck out as a group who could never do anything for me despite all the accolades.

Users who are viewing this thread