What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bands you should like, but don't. (1 Viewer)

the moops

Footballguy
Siri/Spotify/Amazon all play some music, that from my other liked music, I should like. Yet I can't.

Top of the list.

Drive-ByTruckers or Jason Isbell

War on Drugs or Kurt Vile

I feel like I should like both of them, yet - nope.

What y'all got?

Hold Steady
Nobody should like those guys. The worst.

I met Craig Finn at a party one time a decade + ago. Everyone knew who he was, but when I introduced myself I pretended I didn't know who he was. We had a brief conversation which had me asking "what to do you do for living?" or something like that. His response, in his stupid talk/signing voice was, "I'm a writer".

Very punchable

Not a fan of Robert plant’s voice
I feel the same way about Freddie Mercury's, it's like nails on a chalkboard. I'm 50/50 on liking/disliking Queen songs. I love Fat Bottomed Girls. I can't stand Bohemian Rapsody, it's been so overplayed. We Will Rock You and Another One Bites the Dust fall into both categories depending on my mood.

LOVE jam bands, HATE the fish.

I hate Clapton and Trey is like a poor man's version also. But I really just hate the sounds they produce.

Van Halen is another band I never liked. 1984 was one of the first five records I owned as a kid too.

Wilco

I think I like every big indie rock band from the aughts besides Wilco.

War On Drugs is a killer selection. I don't get them, either. Kozalek did a number on those guys.
I was never a Wilco guy at all. I heard that Germany song on the Bear recently, now I want to give them another chance. That tune is epic. Ted Lasso and the Bear have incredible soundtracks imo.

FFA sidenote. I never got the love here for Neutral Milk Hotel back in the day. Now I have that record in my top ten all time. Funny how things can change.

Cool, crapping on Prince and The Hold Steady. I feel targeted. But I'm from Minnesota so they have a special place for me.

Carry on.

Cool, crapping on Prince and The Hold Steady. I feel targeted. But I'm from Minnesota so they have a special place for me.

Carry on.
At least everyone loves the Replacements. 😀

I'm not really a music guy but who the heck are the Hold Steady?

Hold Steady
Nobody should like those guys. The worst.

I met Craig Finn at a party one time a decade + ago. Everyone knew who he was, but when I introduced myself I pretended I didn't know who he was. We had a brief conversation which had me asking "what to do you do for living?" or something like that. His response, in his stupid talk/signing voice was, "I'm a writer".

Very punchable
You put on an act and he's the punchable one?

Yeah sure, OK.

I met Craig Finn a few times before they were "big." We didn't talk much but he bought me a beer for just a boring chat before his gig and not going all fandom with him. Got called on stage at The House of Blues in Chicago the next year when he saw me. It Almost Killed Me. Along with a dozen others.

I met Craig Finn a few times before they were "big." We didn't talk much but he bought me a beer for just a boring chat before his gig and not going all fandom with him. Got called on stage at The House of Blues in Chicago the next year when he saw me. It Almost Killed Me. Along with a dozen others.

Total squee. That's awesome and memorable.

Carry on.

I'm not crapping on Prince (nor Bowie) but there are a *LOT* of Prince songs that suck. Price of being voluminous I guess. Bowie is the same way for me. Go listen to Low and tell me that is a masterpiece.
I understand where you are coming from. I just walked into a thread surprised by the replies.

All of them?

I listened to music growing up, mostly “classic” rock from the 60s/70s, and liked grunge in college. After that, music became relatively unimportant.

The only time I listen to music now is to/from work, a 20-30 commute. It’s still mostly classic rock, but the artists are from a decade or two later. And I’ll flip to the pop station as well.

But I never buy/download new music, and really don’t care one way or the other if music is a part of my life. I say this despite being married to someone who loves musicals (usually enjoy), karaoke (I like participating), and a singer in a band, who play infrequently since one member was diagnosed with lymphoma.

Judging from all the music threads and frequent references to song lyrics, I’m guessing I’m in a small minority. For the aficionados, how much of your free time is devoted to music?

Carry on.

I'm not crapping on Prince (nor Bowie) but there are a *LOT* of Prince songs that suck. Price of being voluminous I guess. Bowie is the same way for me. Go listen to Low and tell me that is a masterpiece.
I agree that Bowie has a lot of dreck, especially post-70s, but I like Low a lot. That's a really good chill out record, even if it doesn't really have any songs that stand as tall as the ones from his earlier years.

With Prince, I agree, because, like you said, he wrote a million songs, and they weren't all gonna be winners. Purple Rain is amazing from start to finish, and I dig most of 1999 although it can be a ponderous listen, but I find everything else to be pretty spotty. The highs, even on albums that had more skippers than keepers, were often stellar, however.

While I like some of the bands he was in, Eric Clapton solo.
That could be my pick as well. Even back when I first got into classic rock and it was my main genre of listening for years (if we can count a decade plus of rock music across the board as a genre haha), Clapton's solo material was never anything more than just okay for me. He has always been super high on my "overrated" list.

Wilco

War On Drugs is a killer selection. I don't get them, either. Kozalek did a number on those guys.
First band that came to mind. They get a decent amount of airplay in Chicago still. I never got into the Wilco/Uncle Tupelo/Jell Tweedy/Billy Bragg music. Tweedy owns a house by me also, just can’t do alt-country. Knowing they are Rolling Stone gods seals the deal for me.

Another that wil really set some off is Guns and Roses. I like a few songs, but the God-like status they get, I don’t understand it.

All of them?

I listened to music growing up, mostly “classic” rock from the 60s/70s, and liked grunge in college. After that, music became relatively unimportant.

The only time I listen to music now is to/from work, a 20-30 commute. It’s still mostly classic rock, but the artists are from a decade or two later. And I’ll flip to the pop station as well.

But I never buy/download new music, and really don’t care one way or the other if music is a part of my life. I say this despite being married to someone who loves musicals (usually enjoy), karaoke (I like participating), and a singer in a band, who play infrequently since one member was diagnosed with lymphoma.

Judging from all the music threads and frequent references to song lyrics, I’m guessing I’m in a small minority. For the aficionados, how much of your free time is devoted to music?
Not much time for me, and rarely newer music. Funny as I used to have a DJ business for years, spent far too much time staying on top of music. That seems like a hundred years ago. The music landscape has changed so much since I left it.

Wilco

First band that came to mind. They get a decent amount of airplay in Chicago still. I never got into the Wilco/Uncle Tupelo/Jell Tweedy/Billy Bragg music. Tweedy owns a house by me also, just can’t do alt-country. Knowing they are Rolling Stone gods seals the deal for me.

Another that wil really set some off is Guns and Roses. I like a few songs, but the God-like status they get, I don’t understand it.
How does Billy Bragg get into the Wilco mix?

Wilco

Well they did three albums together for one thing.

Knowing they are Rolling Stone gods seals the deal for me.
This seems like a really odd reason not to like a band. I haven’t looked at a Rolling Stone magazine (print or digital) in 30 years.

If you hated the magazine so much, that it influences your musical taste, how would you even know they are treated like Gods by the magazine? Do you hate read it each month?

Wilco

Well they did three albums together for one thing.
Well, I'm an idiot for not googling that. And now that I have I have no idea how I missed that. Must have been when I lived in that snow cave foe a few years. I only remember Bragg for his early punk stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread