What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BBQ Restaurants (1 Viewer)

The other Kansas City spot that gets all the love is Joe's Kansas City. Used to be called Oklahoma Joe's which was one of the dumber marketing moves for a place in Kansas City. Finally fixed it.

It's kind of cool as it used to be a gas station but it's way less cool than that sounds. It's ok and I definitely don't get the head over heels love it has. 

People love the Z-Man sandwich which is an abomination for BBQ adding provolone cheese and onion rings on a kaiser roll. No thanks. Those things are good but that's not BBQ. 

Second thing - a  general rule of thumb for BBQ (and anything) is how much sauce does it need to be good?

Let's say it like this, Kansas City BBQ needs a LOT of sauce.

I like all those.

But Truth in the Heights is way better than all of them. They're not just best in Houston in my opinion, they're the best in Texas. Which means best in the world. The original location in Brenham is better just because it's more a small town Texas BBQ joint but their new huge place in Houston is just as good. 
I appreciate the recommendation.  There have been so many new spots pop up over the past few years that I can't keep up.  I'm partial to Pit Room because its walking distance from mi casa and their Tex Mex restaurant next door is just as good.  Look forward to trying Truth.  

I’ve only had BBQ in NYC (Blue Smoke, Virgil’s and Dallas BBQ) and Dinosaur BBQ in Newark, NJ.

I like them all but I’m sure most would say I’ve never had “real” BBQ.
In NYC, Hill Country is decent.  Nothing like coming down to the honey hole of Texas but it'll suffice.  

I think the problem with BBQ in NYC is that it takes time and patience to properly cook good BBQ which is a quality lacking in the city. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My ranked list right now. Subject to change as I think more about it. 

Truth BBQ in Brenham. Houston is on par.    Pretty easily my #1. All the top 5 have brisket that may be interchangeable. Consistent quality, sides and desserts set them apart.

Valentina's BBQ in Austin.   Get the brisket and home made tortillas.

Louie Mueller BBQ in Taylor, TX.    Where I fell in love with BBQ. Bobby (Louie's son) was a legend in Central Texas BBQ. His son Wayne is a friend and Footballguys subscriber and now he's a modern legend in Texas BBQ. The perfect atmosphere for a BBQ joint. Stevie Ray Vaughn album cover was shot there. 

Franklin BBQ in Austin  You know this. 

La BBQ in Austin  LeAnn Mueller is Louie's granddaughter and Wayne's sister. It's complicated but La BBQ crushes it in Austin. Food's on par with Franklin and wait is half the time. Still long.

Corkscrew BBQ in Spring, TX (Houston).  Insanely good. Ranking is 100% based on food. 

Cattleack BBQ in Dallas.   Atmosphere is meh. It's a new industrial building in an industrial park but not as cool as that sounds. BBQ is awesome though. Like Corkscrew, ranking is 100% on food. 

John Lewis BBQ in Charleston, SC. Former Austin / Franklin BBQ guy. Best BBQ east of the Mississippi. 

Skylight Inn BBQ in Ayden, NC. A shrine. The perfect southern old school BBQ joint. All wood. Whole hog. Limited menu. Cornbread and slaw. Building has a dome on it like the capitol. 

Smitty's BBQ in Lockhart, TX.  After Louie Mueller's, the second place I fell in love with BBQ. Walking in, the impact of the live fire on the floor is incredible. Pegs the chart for soul. It is the original location for Kreuz Market. A few yeas back, the family split and Rick Schmidt took the fire (literally) down the street and built a giant new home for Kreuz Market. I'm loyal to the original space. 

Evie Mae's BBQ in Wolfforth, TX (Lubbock) Lubbock is a long ways from lots of the great BBQ in the central and southern part of the state. I grew up in Amarillo though so I'm partial to that area. Evie Mae's crushes on every level. 

Buxton, Hall BBQ in Asheville, NC. New place doing it old style. Similar to Truth in tons of attention paid to the sides. It's more of a restaurant as they don't focus exclusively on BBQ. But it's awesome. 

Wayne Mueller. BBQ Legend. Friend of Footballguys. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuKV337HgXk/

10 years ago I put my Footballguys business card on this wall at Louie Mueller Barbecue in Taylor Texas. My favorite restaurant in the world.
A month or so later, I received an email from owner Wayne Mueller. It said “Are you kidding me? You are my hero“. I replied, “Are you kidding me! You are my hero.“ We’ve been good friends ever since. It’s where I fell in love with barbecue. #knoxfoodie #bbqlife #tmbbq @louiemuellerbbq

It is 8:30 local time, I live in Winnipeg with no prospects of decent bbq any time soon but just spent the past 30 minutes clicking on links to southern bbq restaurants ... I think I have a problem.

It is 8:30 local time, I live in Winnipeg with no prospects of decent bbq any time soon but just spent the past 30 minutes clicking on links to southern bbq restaurants ... I think I have a problem.
I know it's halfway across the country from Winnipeg, but Canadian BBQ is starting to happen. Before he got entangled in fighting the government on Covid restrictions. Adams BBQ had been crushing it. I've not been but from the pictures, it's legit. https://adamsonbarbecue.com/

If you get over that way, let me know. 

It is a bit from my neck of the woods but I do get over to Toronto every now and then. I’ll check them out next time I’m there. Thanks for the tip.

There is no good BBQ in Florida. Not one place I’ve had. Everybody flips for 4 rivers but it’s barbecue for people who don’t know what good barbecue is. It’s very frustrating!
You ever been to First Choice in Brandon? Best corned beef I’ve ever had and the pork fritters are  :moneybag:

My favorite thing about BBQ besides the fact it's delicious: BBQ is alchemy.

It's the ultimate under dog story. 

You take the cheapest cuts of meat from the animal and through hard work and time and skill, turn them into something better than the most expensive cuts.

In the old days, the rich man got the pork chops or the T-bone steak. And the poor man got the pork shoulder or the brisket. On most animals that walk on four legs, the upper part of the animal is most tender as those muscles aren't used for standing up. (Side note - that's where "high on the hog" got its meaning) The tender cuts are more expensive because they taste delicious with little work. You can throw a great T-bone steak on the grill and in a few minutes, it's ready and perfect. If you throw a brisket on the grill, it's as tough as leather.

So while the rich people were enjoying their steaks, the poor people took the leather like cut of brisket and went to work. Salt + Pepper + Hard Wood Fire + Time and you wind up eventually with something better than the T-bone. It's perfect. 

It's why something like BBQ Prime Rib is so stupid.

It's why a BBQ restaurant shouldn't be too fancy. 

It's complicated. And important. 

I appreciate the recommendation.  There have been so many new spots pop up over the past few years that I can't keep up.  I'm partial to Pit Room because its walking distance from mi casa and their Tex Mex restaurant next door is just as good.  Look forward to trying Truth.  
Try Feges too. I've not been but people I trust love it. Hilarious that it's in the mall food court.

Also Roegels is awesome. I'd put it behind Truth and a little ahead of Pinkertons and well ahead of Pit Room. Got to hang out with owner Russell Roegel a few years ago when he was just getting into the Pastrami Brisket. It was great back then and it looks like it's even better now. 

Killens in Pearland is excellent too. Ronnie Killen is a restaurant machine there but it's legit. 

Also Roegels is awesome. I'd put it behind Truth and a little ahead of Pinkertons and well ahead of Pit Room. Got to hang out with owner Russell Roegel a few years ago when he was just getting into the Pastrimi Brisket. It was great back then and it looks like it's even better now. 
I know Feges but not familiar this one.  I think where we differ on BBQ is I also judge a place by their sauce.  Great BBQ doesn't necessarily need it but if they dont offer a quality sauce, I'm docking them points.  

I don't know. Danny Meyer at Blue Smoke isn't a BBQ but he's second to none as a Restauranteur. Blue Smoke is pretty great.
Why would you say Blue Smoke isn’t BBQ, or am I misreading it? They call themselves BBQ,  and I agree it was great (when I ate meat). The best I’ve had, but growing up in the Northeast, BBQ (other than families grilling) wasn’t a thing here really.

There is no good BBQ in Florida. Not one place I’ve had. Everybody flips for 4 rivers but it’s barbecue for people who don’t know what good barbecue is. It’s very frustrating!
I've had a couple passable experiences up in Jax but nothing worth noting. I think the biggest problem with FL BBQ is Floridians.  In general, they just aren't willing to pay for good BBQ. They think it's a cheap backyard meal.  A $25 a pound prime brisket place like Franklin's would never succeed.
Bingo!  In our area Ron there is "Colts Pig Stand" ( I THINK I saw they were opening one in NSB by the Publix??)  They opened a location here in Orange City and people were comparing it to Sonny's as the standard for BBQ  :lmao:    :lmao:   It's moderately priced...maybe a buck or two above what Sonny's will charge but infinitely better even though they struggle to be consistent.  One day it'll be perfect, the next it will be jerky, the next it will be globs of fat.  

I think I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like mass produced BBQ all that much.  And it seem to me, the more options of sauce on the table the worse it is.  Perhaps my "get off my lawn moment" but I just like doing it, myself, at home.  I DO miss whole hog chopped sandwiches from NC.

Why would you say Blue Smoke isn’t BBQ, or am I misreading it? They call themselves BBQ,  and I agree it was great (when I ate meat). The best I’ve had, but growing up in the Northeast, BBQ (other than families grilling) wasn’t a thing here really.
Sorry. I meant to say he wasn't a BBQ guy. He's one of the best restauranteurs in the country though. 

We have a place here in Portland called Reo’s Ribs that is run by Snoop Dog’s uncle and has been burned down twice recently. It’s also not that great apparently.

Someone please bring good BBQ here. 

For you Chicago folks, Green Street Smoked Meats is one of my favorite spots in the city. In a city with LOTS of great food. https://greenstreetmeats.com/

They are sort of in the same area as Blue Smoke in NY in they're not really BBQ people, but hyper talented Restauranteurs. The Hogsalt group in Chicago is behind them. https://www.hogsalt.com/wp-hogsalt/. Same people who have arguably the best burger in town with Au Cheval, and arguably the best donut in the Doughnut Vault and other great spots. 

Unlike some of the places in Nashville and other spots that are mostly sizzle and little steak, Green Street does it right with all wood burning in a J&R pit. And the atmosphere is awesome. It's crystal clear they did their research and spent a lot of time in Texas. Highly recommend. 

We have a place here in Portland called Reo’s Ribs that is run by Snoop Dog’s uncle and has been burned down twice recently. It’s also not that great apparently.

Someone please bring good BBQ here. 
With all the great food in Portland, nobody feels too sorry for them not having great BBQ. But I'd been interested seeing Matt's and Holy Trinity. And I did not know about the Matt's collab Asian Fusion thing with Eem. Did these survive the pandemic? https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/restaurants/portland-barbecue-guide

With all the great food in Portland, nobody feels too sorry for them not having great BBQ. But I'd been interested seeing Matt's and Holy Trinity. And I did not know about the Matt's collab Asian Fusion thing with Eem. Did these survive the pandemic? https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/restaurants/portland-barbecue-guide
Eem has survived and is one of our favorites. Just such a fun restaurant and great concept.  I’ve tried Matt’s and it’s ok, not great. Have not tried Holy Trinity. 

My favorite thing about BBQ besides the fact it's delicious: BBQ is alchemy.

It's the ultimate under dog story. 

You take the cheapest cuts of meat from the animal and through hard work and time and skill, turn them into something better than the most expensive cuts.

In the old days, the rich man got the pork chops or the T-bone steak. And the poor man got the pork shoulder or the brisket. On most animals that walk on four legs, the upper part of the animal is most tender as those muscles aren't used for standing up. (Side note - that's where "high on the hog" got its meaning) The tender cuts are more expensive because they taste delicious with little work. You can throw a great T-bone steak on the grill and in a few minutes, it's ready and perfect. If you throw a brisket on the grill, it's as tough as leather.

So while the rich people were enjoying their steaks, the poor people took the leather like cut of brisket and went to work. Salt + Pepper + Hard Wood Fire + Time and you wind up eventually with something better than the T-bone. It's perfect. 

It's why something like BBQ Prime Rib is so stupid.

It's why a BBQ restaurant shouldn't be too fancy. 

It's complicated. And important. 
Sort of.  I love the romanticism of this notion but the reality is Aaron Franklin changed all that.  No good BBQ place is cooking cheap meat anymore. Now, Prime or Wagyu brisket and ribs are less compared to steak but to most everyday folks they are not cheap.  The most talented cooks can't use technique to compete with quality.  Case in point for me is Snow's. Once considered the best in TX just before the Franklin "invasion" they are now middle of the pack.  And it would be hard to argue that Ms. Tootsie isn't a top pitmaster. Still great BBQ but their use of choice cuts does not allow them to really compete.

There is a place up in St Augustine we stopped at called MoJo that was better than decent.  They have a location in Gainesville and Jacksonville.  

if/when we make it back to St A’s we will visit again.
Mojo is one I consider passable.  They do at least understand good BBQ.  They pay homage to a lot of the better places mentioned in this thread with their decor if you look closely.

Bingo!  In our area Ron there is "Colts Pig Stand" ( I THINK I saw they were opening one in NSB by the Publix??)  They opened a location here in Orange City and people were comparing it to Sonny's as the standard for BBQ  :lmao:    :lmao:   It's moderately priced...maybe a buck or two above what Sonny's will charge but infinitely better even though they struggle to be consistent.  One day it'll be perfect, the next it will be jerky, the next it will be globs of fat.  

I think I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like mass produced BBQ all that much.  And it seem to me, the more options of sauce on the table the worse it is.  Perhaps my "get off my lawn moment" but I just like doing it, myself, at home.  I DO miss whole hog chopped sandwiches from NC.
I remember hearing about this Colt's place coming to town.  I hadn't heard of that particualr one but I tend to rate the pig stand places more like a burger joint.  So, OK for fast food but not really BBQ.

Awesome!  My card is also on that wall.  Fun to go see it every few years.  It's brown with soot now. Been eating there back to when Bobby ran it. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be any good after his passing but I'll be damned if Wayne didn't take it up a notch!  
Wayne is a great guy. I've opened with him a few times. There's something super serene about a place like Mueller's at 4 am. Feels like a church. 

Bobby plopping down that first free tasting piece of brisket before taking my order was a transcendent moment for me. 

Wayne gave me a brick from the original pit after they rebuilt from their fire a few years ago. Prized possession. 

Awesome!  My card is also on that wall.  Fun to go see it every few years.  It's brown with soot now. Been eating there back to when Bobby ran it. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be any good after his passing but I'll be damned if Wayne didn't take it up a notch!  
Ron have you been to the new Stiles Switch in Dripping Springs? Lance Kirkpatrick that was Bobby's right hand guy before Wayne came back home is the pitmaster there.

Sort of.  I love the romanticism of this notion but the reality is Aaron Franklin changed all that.  No good BBQ place is cooking cheap meat anymore. Now, Prime or Wagyu brisket and ribs are less compared to steak but to most everyday folks they are not cheap.  The most talented cooks can't use technique to compete with quality.  Case in point for me is Snow's. Once considered the best in TX just before the Franklin "invasion" they are now middle of the pack.  And it would be hard to argue that Ms. Tootsie isn't a top pitmaster. Still great BBQ but their use of choice cuts does not allow them to really compete.

Mojo is one I consider passable.  They do at least understand good BBQ.  They pay homage to a lot of the better places mentioned in this thread with their decor if you look closely.
It's prime grade from better stock but it's still some of the least tender meat on the animal though. That's what I mean. But I hear you.

For sure, Prime brisket makes a ton of difference. Franklin considered closing when their supplier had a disruption. I remember thinking I was terrible cooking brisket and then after my first cook with a prime brisket, it was 90% of what Franklin tasted like. 

You can't help but love Tootsie as she's amazing and super fun and the place is rad. But I hear you on Snows. My first time there, I actually went back in line for a 2nd time to make sure it was really that average. It was. But a movie quality story. 

I like all those.

But Truth in the Heights is way better than all of them. They're not just best in Houston in my opinion, they're the best in Texas. Which means best in the world. The original location in Brenham is better just because it's more a small town Texas BBQ joint but their new huge place in Houston is just as good. 
I haven't been to Truth. What is their specialty? 

Ron have you been to the new Stiles Switch in Dripping Springs? Lance Kirkpatrick that was Bobby's right hand guy before Wayne came back home is the pitmaster there.
I have not, but heading to TX in June so that and Truth in Houston are on the list. There a guy in Houston named Willow that used to have a trailer in front of Shady Acres Saloon that was making great BBQ as well.  He's pretty transient but well worth it if I can find him.

For you Chicago folks, Green Street Smoked Meats is one of my favorite spots in the city. In a city with LOTS of great food. https://greenstreetmeats.com/

They are sort of in the same area as Blue Smoke in NY in they're not really BBQ people, but hyper talented Restauranteurs. The Hogsalt group in Chicago is behind them. https://www.hogsalt.com/wp-hogsalt/. Same people who have arguably the best burger in town with Au Cheval, and arguably the best donut in the Doughnut Vault and other great spots. 

Unlike some of the places in Nashville and other spots that are mostly sizzle and little steak, Green Street does it right with all wood burning in a J&R pit. And the atmosphere is awesome. It's crystal clear they did their research and spent a lot of time in Texas. Highly recommend. 
Thx for the Chicago rec Joe.  Au Cheval does have great burgers, which makes me want to try out Green St Smoked Meats now.   Can’t wait to check it out!!

Tangent:  Doughnut Vault is good, but definitely not the best donuts in Chicago.  I feel about donuts similarly to how you feel about BBQ.  It’s an obsession.   It’s a lifestyle for me.  My kids say “the only reason dad likes to run is so he can eat donuts without gaining weight.”   :)

The other Kansas City spot that gets all the love is Joe's Kansas City. Used to be called Oklahoma Joe's which was one of the dumber marketing moves for a place in Kansas City. Finally fixed it.

It's kind of cool as it used to be a gas station but it's way less cool than that sounds. It's ok and I definitely don't get the head over heels love it has. 

People love the Z-Man sandwich which is an abomination for BBQ adding provolone cheese and onion rings on a kaiser roll. No thanks. Those things are good but that's not BBQ. 

Second thing - a  general rule of thumb for BBQ (and anything) is how much sauce does it need to be good?

Let's say it like this, Kansas City BBQ needs a LOT of sauce.
Hmmm.   Your last sentence sums up my feelings on KC BBQ (in a more succinct way than I would have offered up).  I go to KC for work often, and usually have BBQ once per trip.   It’s better than what I get in the upper MW, but not on par with what I’ve had in TX and NC.

So, well-known places I've been.

Austin, TX

Stiles Switch blew my doors off.  Had ok expectations going in, but it was absolutely one of the best I've had.  Brisket was terrific, but the sausage stole the show.

Stood in line for 5 hours at Franklin's, and I'd do it every day.  Brisket was everything I'd hoped it would be.

Oakwood BBQ was extremely meh

Alabama

Bob Gibson's.  Great overall. white chicken was amazing.

North Carolina

Lexington BBQ - unique style, gold sauce is awesome.  I prefer Texas style BBQ, but this was well worth the experience.

FWIW, I'm 42.  I'm hoping to be retired at 60.  At the very least, I plan on making a cross-country BBQ pilgrimage.  My hope is to experience the various spots and pits from a more behind-the-counter perspective.  I'm obsessed with pits.  If I had a dream scenario, I'd work for a week at as many places as I could.  The food is the reward, but the multitude of processes that these places use to make great BBQ just fascinates me.

I've seen "good sausage" mentioned by several posters.  What makes sausage good for y'all?  Beef or pork?  Hot links?  Jalapeno? Cheddar? Snappy casing?

I’ve only had BBQ in NYC (Blue Smoke, Virgil’s and Dallas BBQ) and Dinosaur BBQ in Newark, NJ.

I like them all but I’m sure most would say I’ve never had “real” BBQ.
NYC has very good BBQ, including the places you mentioned, plus Hill Country and The Mighty Quinn's.  There's definitely real BBQ in NYC and it's very good.  It just costs triple what it costs in places like Texas.

I've seen "good sausage" mentioned by several posters.  What makes sausage good for y'all?  Beef or pork?  Hot links?  Jalapeno? Cheddar? Snappy casing?
I will try any sausage.  I'm not picky when it comes to ingredients.  Sausage is very easily screwed up, however.  Good sausage is juicy and flavorful.

To me, any meat that comes served with sauce on it isn’t well prepared. Give the customer the option but great bbq shouldn’t require sauce. 

Lexington BBQ - unique style, gold sauce is awesome.  I prefer Texas style BBQ, but this was well worth the experience.
love it ...had never heard of gold sauce before having grown up in Ohio and before the internet age.  First time was on our honeymoon going to Hilton Head - we actually make and keep a squirt jar of gold sauce in our fridge most of the year round.  Use it on everything - but especially with pulled pork.

It's prime grade from better stock but it's still some of the least tender meat on the animal though. That's what I mean. But I hear you.

For sure, Prime brisket makes a ton of difference. Franklin considered closing when their supplier had a disruption. I remember thinking I was terrible cooking brisket and then after my first cook with a prime brisket, it was 90% of what Franklin tasted like. 

You can't help but love Tootsie as she's amazing and super fun and the place is rad. But I hear you on Snows. My first time there, I actually went back in line for a 2nd time to make sure it was really that average. It was. But a movie quality story. 
:kicksrock: Man after watching her on A Chef's Table BBQ I put Snow on my list to get to in the next two years. Personally, I think Franklin's is way over hyped. I get it's a hot take but my BBQ taste is not traditional. I am not a fan of any single regional style. I still remember having all of Franklin's Q at a conference in Austin. Someone ordered a pickup of a ton of everything he has and I was really disappointed after eating. We had the brisket, ribs, pork, turkey and sausage. Whole lot of meh for me.

When I am smoking I tend to do things a bit twisted seasoning wise for my Q and I guess that's why I don't like typical BBQ from any single region.

Users who are viewing this thread