What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2013 (1 Viewer)

reall enjoying the latest michael franti "all people" and mayer hawthorne "where does this door go"

looking forward to the new head and the heart and new avett brothers on october 15th...

Extremely disappointed with Deer Tick's new album Negativity, almost to the point where I dont even want to bother with a second listen. Sounds like a totally different band than what got me into them with Born On Flag Day and War Elephant. Their last couple albums havent been as good as those 2, but at least they were decent.

...and I cant just be in a bad mood tonight because I started listening to the new Kings of Leon album last night. Listened to the 2nd half tonight, and the rest is just as awful as what I heard last night. Im not big on them, but I do think their first 2 albums are pretty damn good, and the next 2 had their moments as well. I think the single Supersoaker is decent enough despite hearing it too much at this point, and sort of got my hopes up for this album as it sounds more like their earlier albums, but it isnt indicative of the sound of the album at all. Im glad they made Supersoaker the first song of the album, because it makes it very easy to literally say the album only gets worse as it goes. Honestly the best thing I can say is that track 7, Family Tree, has a great bass line. Other than that, terrible.

This chorus in the song Comeback Story has me convinced to not even bother with them anymore and left me laughing and shaking my head:

I walk a mile in your shoes

And now Im a mile away

And Ive got your shoes

Bieber probably writes lyrics better than this on a consistent basis

If you made it through track 7 of the KoL album, you made it further than I did.
:lmao:

Had to at least listen to the whole thing to see if there was even a couple songs that were decent. Supersoaker is rather easily the best song, no surprise it was the single. Seriously, listen to track 8 Comeback Story, its so cringe-worthy and laughable at the same time its ridiculous.

Drenge's self titled debut album is pretty good. Drenge is a band of two brothers (siblings not black guys) from the English Midlands. It's the now familiar White Keys/Black Stripes guitar and drums lineup but Drenge's music is less obviously indebted to the blues than those bands. The duo setup doesn't allow for much subtlely so they bash out short loud songs with funny slice-of-life lyrics that are sort of reminiscent of Arctic Monkeys. It's a fun little rock n roll record that doesn't lose its way until the last song--the aptly titled ####about.
This is pretty good. Reminds me more of JEFF The Brotherhood than TWS or TBK. Not sure how much I'll go back to it since it didnt particularly grab me, but there is potential here, much like JTB who I think still have the rawness of their first album or two, but took a step up on the songwriting and catchiness with their last album Hypnotic Nights.

...and I cant just be in a bad mood tonight because I started listening to the new Kings of Leon album last night. Listened to the 2nd half tonight, and the rest is just as awful as what I heard last night. Im not big on them, but I do think their first 2 albums are pretty damn good, and the next 2 had their moments as well. I think the single Supersoaker is decent enough despite hearing it too much at this point, and sort of got my hopes up for this album as it sounds more like their earlier albums, but it isnt indicative of the sound of the album at all. Im glad they made Supersoaker the first song of the album, because it makes it very easy to literally say the album only gets worse as it goes. Honestly the best thing I can say is that track 7, Family Tree, has a great bass line. Other than that, terrible.

This chorus in the song Comeback Story has me convinced to not even bother with them anymore and left me laughing and shaking my head:

And now Im a mile away

And Ive got your shoes

I assumed tongues are firmly in cheeks here. They're old enough to remember Jack Handey, right?

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

And now Im a mile away

And Ive got your shoes

I assumed tongues are firmly in cheeks here. They're old enough to remember Jack Handey, right?

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
You're probably assuming too much for this band. The album is just flat out bad. If it was a lot of good songs and then youre scenario, I could see it, but its not like this is the only bad song/lyrics.

And now Im a mile away

And Ive got your shoes

You're probably assuming too much for this band. The album is just flat out bad. If it was a lot of good songs and then youre scenario, I could see it, but its not like this is the only bad song/lyrics.
But if you were a Followill, why would you waste a lot a time on lyrics after "your sex is on fire/consumed with what's to transpire" was a hit :shrug:

I really like Kings of Leon, seen them live a couple of times, and keep a lot of their albums up to and including Only by the Night in somewhat regular rotation, but this new one is just terrible. There are 2 songs I'll ever listen to again on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so out of the loop, but I love that these threads exist so at some point I can go back and catch up on all the stuff I missed. I think I've pretty much only really invested time in two new albums all year, and of the two, Local Natives Hummingbird is awesome and The National's Trouble Will Find Me was a pretty big letdown.

I love the new Arcade Fire single and am cautiously optimistic about their upcoming album.

I liked the KOL on first listen. A couple of standout tracks and some that didn't grab me immediately but good first impression overall.

I have to go back and listen to the album, but I went to see Savages at First Avenue last week. Exceeded the hype. Probably my second favorite concert of the year (behind the Yeah Yeah Yeahs).

Apple Jack said:
That little Chvrches munchkin is hot.
:goodposting:

Band made a post on FB today asking guys to please stop sending messages about "anal ####### the accent out of Lauren" or some such. :lmao:

New Dream Theater is really good...

You gotta like prog metal, but if you are into Rush, old Queensryche etc...def worth a listen...

KoL jumped the shark a couple years ago and are still in orbit. One of the worst transformations I have ever seen.

I have to go back and listen to the album, but I went to see Savages at First Avenue last week. Exceeded the hype. Probably my second favorite concert of the year (behind the Yeah Yeah Yeahs).
Hey cool, I'm going to see them on Sunday at the Independent. Really looking forward to it.

Hey cool, I'm going to see them on Sunday at the Independent. Really looking forward to it.
Was awesome. Highly recommended show if they come through where you are.

You gotta like prog metal, but if you are into Rush, old Queensryche etc...def worth a listen...
Posted some thoughts on it in the prog metal thread. Pretty solid. Looking forward to a tour in '14.
As much as I love Dream Theater and this album is certainly good, I think the new Haken is better. Or I have listened to it more since I bought both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQiF1NZMPEE

commisholio said:
Was awesome. Highly recommended show if they come through where you are.
:thumbup:

I'm listening to the Haim album and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to think it's "amazing" or if it sounds like an overproduced pop record.

I'm listening to the Haim album and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to think it's "amazing" or if it sounds like an overproduced pop record.
You talk like those are mutually exclusive things.
It's both...
I don't mean that it can't be both. But it's so unbelievably slick at every turn that it immediately calls in to question how much of it is three girls who know how to play a bunch of instruments and how much of it is a team of producers and "makers". They've been through the cookie-cutter over-produced thing once before (Valli Girls) . But if these three chicks and their drummer actually wrote and perform these songs then I'm beyond impressed.

Robbie Fulks - Gone Away Backwards

If you're into the Americana/country thing. Very good throughout. Listened to it on the way to work today, and really enjoyed it.

ATC1 said:

Posted some thoughts on it in the prog metal thread. Pretty solid. Looking forward to a tour in '14.
As much as I love Dream Theater and this album is certainly good, I think the new Haken is better. Or I have listened to it more since I bought both.

I listened to "Aquarius" and want to work my way up to their latest (their 3rd?). They sound really good except for (what I call) the circus music. The first album tended to stray off-course for my taste, but I do want to hear how they've progressed.

Good band recommendation and a nice find though :hifive:

Dr. Dog has once again released a very good album with B-Room. Im not sure I will prefer it over any of their last 3 albums which I really like and turned them into one of my favorite band's going these days, but it is par for the course for Dr. Dog to never disappoint. I am surprised that like Be The Void, most of my favorite songs are Toby's songs. Scott McMicken's song on the deluxe edition of B-Room, Humble Passenger, might actually be the best song on the album IMO, but isnt even on the regular album. I actually thought his song Be The Void that was released on an EP after the proper album last year may have been my favorite song from the the actual Be The Void album had it been on it. I sometimes questions band's decision making processes with including and/or excluding songs from albums.

Broken Heart

Love

Im loving Blitzen Trapper's new album VII. It's got a more swamp rock type sound and a little different for them, but it works. Fun album, and Eric Earley is a helluva song writer. Probably one of the most underrated songwriters out there.

Feel The Chill

Earth

I listened to "Aquarius" and want to work my way up to their latest (their 3rd?). They sound really good except for (what I call) the circus music. The first album tended to stray off-course for my taste, but I do want to hear how they've progressed.

The circus music in the middle of Celestial Elixir is my favorite part of my favorite song. :cool: It just comes out of nowhere. I would say that the 2nd (Visions) and 3rd (The Mountain) are certainly progressed away from that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im loving Blitzen Trapper's new album VII. It's got a more swamp rock type sound and a little different for them, but it works. Fun album, and Eric Earley is a helluva song writer. Probably one of the most underrated songwriters out there.

Feel The Chill

Earth
yeah, I've only listened to it once so far but I'm digging it, and I agree on his songwriting.

did you ever give the John Moreland album a spin?

Possum said:

Feel The Chill

Earth
yeah, I've only listened to it once so far but I'm digging it, and I agree on his songwriting.

did you ever give the John Moreland album a spin?
I did briefly, and listened to the whole thing this morning. It didnt hit me like Jason Isbell's album, but there are definitely a lot of great lyrics from Moreland.

The circus music in the middle of Celestial Elixir is my favorite part of my favorite song. :cool: It just comes out of nowhere. I would say that the 2nd (Visions) and 3rd (The Mountain) are certainly progressed away from that.
Interesting band to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread