What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best car for 30's single guy (1 Viewer)

mquinnjr said:
ncc2 said:
I disagree with the whole you should finance thing. If you can pay cash you should. Long term loans on a depreciating asset isn't a good use of money.
:goodposting: :goodposting:
Pay cash for a 45k car?

Seems to me that in your 30's you can better utilize / leverage / invest your dollars than tie it up cash in a car.

Not a bad idea but you better be looking at half te cost at least l, IMO.

For me it was more about cash flow anyway - night lose some long term gain but there was a clear return on lifestyle.

I think there should be some used 2011 Tesla roadsters hitting the market soon. Could be a great balance of cool car and in the right price range

mquinnjr said:
ncc2 said:
I disagree with the whole you should finance thing. If you can pay cash you should. Long term loans on a depreciating asset isn't a good use of money.
Pay cash for a 45k car?

Seems to me that in your 30's you can better utilize / leverage / invest your dollars than tie it up cash in a car.

For me it was more about cash flow anyway - night lose some long term gain but there was a clear return on lifestyle.
I'm 30 and am a lease guy, always do $0 down. If I can't comfortably afford the monthly payment that I negotiate, I walk away from the car.

That lease downpayment/cash purchase downpayment should be in something conservative & long-term in the market or earmarked somehow else to build your nest egg for me at least.

Unless you're just hemorrhaging money and all emergency/retirement savings are covered. In that case, god speed and go buy something you like!

mquinnjr said:
ncc2 said:
Pay cash for a 45k car?

Sure if I had the cash. A new 45 k car at 7% and 60 months with 10k down you are looking at spending an extra 6k in interest. So you have 51 in a car that was worth 2-4 thousand less than 45000 the second you drove it off the lot. It certainly isn't worth 51 at the end of the loan. Now you take the value loss anyway but no reason to pay extra for the privilege.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd skip spending $45k on a car. I've been driving a 2002 Honda Civic for 12 years now, bought when I was 30 and single. Met my wife a few years later, married since 2004. While she would prefer that I buy something more comfortable for her, she also appreciates the extra money I have each month that can be spent on her. Just my own preference, but I've always thought driving experiences are overrated and cars are expenses to be minimized, not something to sink a lot of money into.

I'd skip spending $45k on a car. I've been driving a 2002 Honda Civic for 12 years now, bought when I was 30 and single. Met my wife a few years later, married since 2004. While she would prefer that I buy something more comfortable for her, she also appreciates the extra money I have each month that can be spent on her. Just my own preference, but I've always thought driving experiences are overrated and cars are expenses to be minimized, not something to sink a lot of money into.
you sound like you're a joy to party with. Next time I'm in Kentucky, I'll be sure to give a shout.

This logical and measured approach has no place in the FFA.

I love driving. Hate not having a nice car to drive. Different strokes.
G37 seems like a nice price/performance niche.
These folks know stuff.

For some of us, driving is a hobby. G37s is supremely fun.
Had a G35 for 7 years. Great car.
g37 is my second choice if s5 isn't available. g37 very pedestrian in my city.
I've never had a rear-wheel drive car before, always FWD or AWD. Is handling in rain/snow really bad in the G37 or any of the other RWD luxury cars? I know performance is better, but I had a boss once who said his C Class was worthless in even rain, and snow you just don't drive it. I have nothing here, so let me know. Just looking at the current G37 lease programs, this is definitely the ballpark I'd be looking in, and the car looks like a beast.

you sound like you're a joy to party with. Next time I'm in Kentucky, I'll be sure to give a shout.
Because nothing says party like getting from point A to point B

or get a used lexus is-f v-8 416 hp with toyota reliability
This. Also, not super into the bmw x6, but those of you calling it a grocery getter are full of ####. I know one person who own this car and he's what I'd call an enthusiast. I trust his taste in performance cars. I also live in a Mecca of wealthy soccer moms and don't know a single one with an x6.

mquinnjr said:
ncc2 said:
Pay cash for a 45k car?

Sure if I had the cash. A new 45 k car at 7% and 60 months with 10k down you are looking at spending an extra 6k in interest. So you have 51 in a car that was worth 2-4 thousand less than 45000 the second you drove it off the lot. It certainly isn't worth 51 at the end of the loan. Now you take the value loss anyway but no reason to pay extra for the privilege.
7% and 60 months with $10k down is just crazy. You should be able to get very close to 0% interest with $0 down. And finance that ##### for no more than 5 years - age of the car. So if you're buying a 2014, 60 months is doable... a 2013, don't go more than a 48 month term... a 2012 and you're looking for 36 month financing, etc.

These folks know stuff.For some of us, driving is a hobby. G37s is supremely fun.
It's "pedestrian" compared to an s5 because an s5 is going to run you 8-12 grand more than the 50k limit. And in my city there are a whole lotta Porches, Ferraris, Mazeratis etc. The G37 got an unexpected amount of positive attention. :shrug: and chicks for whatever reason loved it.

S5 is sweet but in this price range its a meh semiloaded and totally underpowered a5 with a dated shell at this point. Beautiful interior though.

Love the g37. I personally opted for a 328 because I thought its better handling offset being much slower, but I agonized over the decision. I think Infiniti is a little underrated as a brand - In terms of getting chicks to swoon, I think there are better choices (unless you live near Koya, apparently). All that said, my next car will probably be a used 535 in that price range.

These folks know stuff.For some of us, driving is a hobby. G37s is supremely fun.
I've never had a rear-wheel drive car before, always FWD or AWD. Is handling in rain/snow really bad in the G37 or any of the other RWD luxury cars? I know performance is better, but I had a boss once who said his C Class was worthless in even rain, and snow you just don't drive it. I have nothing here, so let me know. Just looking at the current G37 lease programs, this is definitely the ballpark I'd be looking in, and the car looks like a beast.
While its true that rear drive will not provide as much control in poor / slick conditions, the tires make a huge difference. The g37 comes with summer slicks. Utterly worthless in even a little snow and you can slide on slick wet roads if you push her the wrong way. A set of winter tires will run 1200 or so and are really all but necessary in colder climates.

But it's worth it IMO. Most fun car for the money balanced with a pretty nicely appointed interior.

What can I say? I'm an accountant.

ncc2 said:
agree, i'm never going to have a car payment again.

Took out a 3 year note in '04 for my trailblazer (grocery getter... but fantastic utility and boat hauling) i bought when i was 26 but paid it off in 18 mo.

kept making the same car payment to my brokerage account and now I'll be able to get a 40-60k car with cash when i'm done with the trailblazer.

I like cars that have some utility to them... i don't know your situation.. house, apartment, urban, suburban, country....

if i was an apartment city dweller, i might spring for the nice sedan as mentioned in here.... if you have a house, i'd always go SUV to get the cargo space for inevitable jobs and hardware store runs.

But i sure wouldn't finance this thing if you could write a check for a like a 15-20K car

I agree with this entirely.

My opinion is always reinforced when I drive total pieces of crap when i travel to the caribbean around the islands and really don't mind it at all.

mquinnjr said:
ncc2 said:
Pay cash for a 45k car?

7% and 60 months with $10k down is just crazy. You should be able to get very close to 0% interest with $0 down. And finance that ##### for no more than 5 years - age of the car. So if you're buying a 2014, 60 months is doable... a 2013, don't go more than a 48 month term... a 2012 and you're looking for 36 month financing, etc.
maybe the guy has bad credit... because i agree he should be able to get close to 0%

I remain of the opinion that if you can't pay for a car in 36 mo. or less than you're buying too much car.

Pay cash for a 45k car?

Hard to get much money on cash these days without a decent amount of risk.

Paying debts or avoiding debt is a better play with your money for everyone but the most disciplined, educated investors.

It's pretty clear the OP is buying way too much car

Pay cash for a 45k car?

Paying debts or avoiding debt is a better play with your money for everyone but the most disciplined, educated investors.

Where is that clear? I never mentioned how much I'm putting down, but it is significant. And yes, you can easily get 1% on a 24 month car loan. But after reading this thread I'm leaning toward the G37 which I'd just pay cash for anyway.

For the non married guys -

What is the ruling on G37 coupe vs G37 convertible?

mquinnjr said:
ncc2 said:
Pay cash for a 45k car?

maybe the guy has bad credit... because i agree he should be able to get close to 0%

I remain of the opinion that if you can't pay for a car in 36 mo. or less than you're buying too much car.
I just went with a standard interest payment. I have no idea what interest rate you can get personally. But I know most people are not going to qualify for zero down and zero interest outside of possibly a lease. Great grandpa always told me only to lease if I could write it off as a business expense.

Pay cash for a 45k car?

Where is that clear? I never mentioned how much I'm putting down, but it is significant. And yes, you can easily get 1% on a 24 month car loan. But after reading this thread I'm leaning toward the G37 which I'd just pay cash for anyway.

i read something about a 5 year 7% loan.. that sounded like too much car

if you're just paying cash for it.. then you have my full blessing... sounds like a great choice and you know what you're doing.. carry on

mquinnjr said:
ncc2 said:
Pay cash for a 45k car?

I just went with a standard interest payment. I have no idea what interest rate you can get personally. But I know most people are not going to qualify for zero down and zero interest outside of possibly a lease. Great grandpa always told me only to lease if I could write it off as a business expense.
I think most auto loans are 2.99 or 1.99. Just did 1.99 on my truck three months ago. HTH

Edit: Those are just credit union rates - the dealer may have incentives and #### too.

Pay cash for a 45k car?

Coupe all the way unless you're a homo.

Pay cash for a 45k car?

The Convertible also adds a good amount of weight. Slows it down a bit and doesn't help the handling... on a car that, as I mentioned is already a bit on the heavy side.

Pay cash for a 45k car?

I still say go check out the Acura TL before you make your final decision. These were my final two choices, as well, and I thought I was going to get the G37 all the way. But I fell in love with the TL. Not saying you will too, but you may want to give it a look and see what you get for that price.

Pay cash for a 45k car?

I still say go check out the Acura TL before you make your final decision. These were my final two choices, as well, and I thought I was going to get the G37 all the way. But I fell in love with the TL. Not saying you will too, but you may want to give it a look and see what you get for that price.
Which year TL? I really like acuras, but recent models have not had quite the performance nor the aesthetics of the infiniti. I wish they continued the mode of the old Legend coupes, along with manual options with 330+ HP. Acura is a great car, though.

Pay cash for a 45k car?

Which year TL? I really like acuras, but recent models have not had quite the performance nor the aesthetics of the infiniti. I wish they continued the mode of the old Legend coupes, along with manual options with 330+ HP. Acura is a great car, though.
The last one I had was a 2010, I think. It was the first or second year of their current model. It wasn't incredibly sporty, but it still had plenty of power. But I thought the interior and all of the options were outstanding. Again, I'm not saying choose it over the Infiniti, but I think it's worth a look if he's looking at the G37.

This was the direction I was going to go with. First, they stand out. Second, they will actually hold their value. Third, a classic car is a lot of fun to drive.

Now, there are some downsides, of course.

I like the Audi products. I was able to drive an S8 about 10 years ago and loved it. And every time I see an Audi I like their look. But, i also seem to hear a lot of negative stuff about upkeep.

In reading the thread though...unless I missed it, I never got a good sense of what was driving JoeT's decision to purchase the vehicle. Does he want luxury, great driving experience, speed, get laid, etc.

Mini Cooper S hardtop, tricked out. Most fun car I've ever driven, great gas mileage to boot. And you'll still have like $20k left in your pocket.
That's funny #### right there! A ####### mini! I saw 30s, single... I missed the gay part.
Have you ever actually driven one?
Nope, I imagine they're fun, like a go kart.
They are incredibly fun. If you put around in a base model with some funky colors I can get a sense of where you are coming from. But, there are some models in the OPs price range that are very fast and very cool to drive. They are very responsive and get up quick considering they do not have to move a lot of weight.

Maybe I am living under a rock, but I have never put the mini in the exclusive chick car category. Strangely enough, I consider the VW Jetta to be more of a chick car than the Mini,

Mini Cooper S hardtop, tricked out. Most fun car I've ever driven, great gas mileage to boot. And you'll still have like $20k left in your pocket.
That's funny #### right there! A ####### mini! I saw 30s, single... I missed the gay part.
Have you ever actually driven one?
Nope, I imagine they're fun, like a go kart.
They are incredibly fun. If you put around in a base model with some funky colors I can get a sense of where you are coming from. But, there are some models in the OPs price range that are very fast and very cool to drive. They are very responsive and get up quick considering they do not have to move a lot of weight.

Maybe I am living under a rock, but I have never put the mini in the exclusive chick car category. Strangely enough, I consider the VW Jetta to be more of a chick car than the Mini,
yep, the guys who hate on Mini Turbo's or that badass 4 door model probably don't understand the genius of Robin Thicke or Pharrell. The haters are sheltered from the every changing world around them, living in cocoons from their comfy little suburban track homes driving an F-150 or a Mustang #trash

By the way, I think I've narrowed it down. I will post a pic when I get the car... I just absolutely hate the car buying process.

2014 Nissan Maxima. Style, power, all the latest safety/GPS/Bluetooth features and plenty room in the backseat.

There's no reason for someone in their 30s to buy a car for 45k-50k unless it's a gift.

Don't get a sports car, they're made for old guys who want to look good for other old guys.
:goodposting: Mid 40's guy here. Just picked up a loaded 2011 M3 for 51racks? It's a pretty sweet ride. The old and young guys dig it.

Users who are viewing this thread