What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best car for 30's single guy (1 Viewer)

By the way, I think I've narrowed it down. I will post a pic when I get the car... I just absolutely hate the car buying process.
just don't get a Prius unless you have a g/f or a frequent Whole Foods shopper

I can't see myself spending that much for a car. However, if I was in that market, I might consider taking my short list of 3 or 4 cars and looking for lease take over opportunities (maybe with around 3 months left). A relatively small investment, maybe a little fun too, before making that $50k decision which might end up being put off as much as a year.

LOL at the Mini talk. One of my ex-wives just got an S a month ago. It really is fun to drive. She's in her mid-50's. Seems like a good choice for her, but don't see it for a 30 something guy though.

Someone mentioned that you don't want to be paying off a loan on a depreciating asset. I'd go further and say you should avoid owning depreciating assets. Depending on your mileage, you might consider leasing instead.

If you're committed to buying and can get a loan at <2%, consider that and perhaps get a better return elsewhere.

Joe T said:
By the way, I think I've narrowed it down. I will post a pic when I get the car... I just absolutely hate the car buying process.
Looking forward to it, JoeT. I am sure you are gonna be having a lot of fun with/in (on?) your new ride.

tommyGunZ said:
The obvious answer is the Model S.
you got a line on one for $50k? preparing to shell out 90 but not keen on waiting 9 months
Of course not, but when you add in the reduced fuel costs and the energy rebates, it's much cheaper than 90.
Agreed but not the price point guy is looking for....that's a lot of $ for a car and can he wait 9 months for delivery? out of budget and year wait, mmm...

The shark move is to lease or buy a used M5 under book and sell it in a year once Tesla's smaller Model S clone comes out. Expected to retail around $50k and should really eat into that entry luxury market.

I love driving. Hate not having a nice car to drive. Different strokes.
G37 seems like a nice price/performance niche.
These folks know stuff.

For some of us, driving is a hobby. G37s is supremely fun.
Had a G35 for 7 years. Great car.
g37 is my second choice if s5 isn't available. g37 very pedestrian in my city.
I've never had a rear-wheel drive car before, always FWD or AWD. Is handling in rain/snow really bad in the G37 or any of the other RWD luxury cars? I know performance is better, but I had a boss once who said his C Class was worthless in even rain, and snow you just don't drive it. I have nothing here, so let me know. Just looking at the current G37 lease programs, this is definitely the ballpark I'd be looking in, and the car looks like a beast.
i had a bmw 330CI in the mountains of colorado. rwd.... now i had a 7 month winter and had winters tires on, but handled great. for the rain all-season were fine, but not snow/ice. it's all about the shoe.

tommyGunZ said:
you got a line on one for $50k? preparing to shell out 90 but not keen on waiting 9 months
Of course not, but when you add in the reduced fuel costs and the energy rebates, it's much cheaper than 90.
Agreed but not the price point guy is looking for....that's a lot of $ for a car and can he wait 9 months for delivery? out of budget and year wait, mmm...

The shark move is to lease or buy a used M5 under book and sell it in a year once Tesla's smaller Model S clone comes out. Expected to retail around $50k and should really eat into that entry luxury market.
You can lease used cars? I did not know that. Who offers used car leases?

G37x is AWD. That's how I'd go.
Reasonable choice. I also saw folks recommend the Audi A5 and BMW M3 (used both) earlier in the thread. I've owned both cars, they're both fantastic. Two of the best cars I've ever owned. A single guy in his 30's can't go wrong with either.

Otis said:
Mr. Pickles said:
Reasonable choice. I also saw folks recommend the Audi A5 and BMW M3 (used both) earlier in the thread. I've owned both cars, they're both fantastic. Two of the best cars I've ever owned. A single guy in his 30's can't go wrong with either.
If we are going apples to apples (ie new car), the A5 is the most sophisticated but well under powered. I was going to go a5 as the next progression after my g37s, but the car has barely over 200hp IIRC. Very nice interior though. The s5 is sweet but way more expensive - as is the M3. For the BMW you'd likely need to to 328, which can't match the performance speed and quicks wise of the inifiniti, but handless exceptionally. Of course around here the BMW comes with the stigma that you are likely a guido, a doosh, a juido (Jewish guido) or some combo of the above.

FYI for snow if you get winter tires real wheel should be fine. Not great but not awful. It's the stocks on the g37s that suck - they are summer slicks.

That said, its 1000+ more dollars and depending on length of your winter and how you drive it may or may not make you 3 winters.

FYI for snow if you get winter tires real wheel should be fine. Not great but not awful. It's the stocks on the g37s that suck - they are summer slicks.

That said, its 1000+ more dollars and depending on length of your winter and how you drive it may or may not make you 3 winters.
I got my G35 in December of 2002 when the model style first came out. It had snowed the night before. Roads were clear, but my driveway wasn't. It sat at the bottom of my driveway for 2 days until it melted. Another time I had it in the garage, and I backed out onto my ice covered driveway. The tires had NO traction. I ended up stuck in a little depression in the ice. I literally released the clutch with the car in 1st gear and it idled while spinning the tires. Not even enough traction to stall the engine.

Bottom line - and I think this goes for any sports car - If you get winter weather, plan on having winter-appropriate tires, or a 2nd ride.

I got my G35 in December of 2002 when the model style first came out. It had snowed the night before. Roads were clear, but my driveway wasn't. It sat at the bottom of my driveway for 2 days until it melted. Another time I had it in the garage, and I backed out onto my ice covered driveway. The tires had NO traction. I ended up stuck in a little depression in the ice. I literally released the clutch with the car in 1st gear and it idled while spinning the tires. Not even enough traction to stall the engine.

Bottom line - and I think this goes for any sports car - If you get winter weather, plan on having winter-appropriate tires, or a 2nd ride.
Did you ask for a refund? I think the Lemon Laws should have covered that kind of incident.

I had a similar experience... it was the first winter I had the car. I was parked in a Long Island Railroad Parking lot - it was just about totally flat. What I did not realize is that a little black ice had formed. Nothing major at all, we are talking the tiniest bit.

It took me more than an hour to get out of there at 3am in the morning. Went the next day to get winter tires and never had a significant issue. It was not a "good" snow car, but I drove plenty of times when I shouldn't have and never got fully stuck.

Now I went to a Jeep Wrangler 4 Door, so I can't wait for the snow.

TheIronSheik said:

my bad Shiek, meant to say lease an A5/G37 or buy used M5.

TheIronSheik said:

my bad Shiek, meant to say lease an A5/G37 or buy used M5.
Oh. I was seriously thinking places had used car leases. That doesn't sound like a very smart investment.

Otis said:
Mr. Pickles said:
If we are going apples to apples (ie new car), the A5 is the most sophisticated but well under powered. I was going to go a5 as the next progression after my g37s, but the car has barely over 200hp IIRC. Very nice interior though. The s5 is sweet but way more expensive - as is the M3. For the BMW you'd likely need to to 328, which can't match the performance speed and quicks wise of the inifiniti, but handless exceptionally. Of course around here the BMW comes with the stigma that you are likely a guido, a doosh, a juido (Jewish guido) or some combo of the above.
I think my A5 had 260hp, and that's plenty. I learned at some point -- probably watching my wife haul around to play dates in our 400hp X5 -- that horsepower above 300 is pretty much a waste 90% of the time anyway.

I'm a married guy in my 30s, and seriously considering a used Mini Cooper as our second car. I owned a Cooper S at one point, what a great little ride.

Otis said:
Mr. Pickles said:
I think my A5 had 260hp, and that's plenty. I learned at some point -- probably watching my wife haul around to play dates in our 400hp X5 -- that horsepower above 300 is pretty much a waste 90% of the time anyway.
2013 A5 has 211 HP in a 4 cylander engine.

Obviously that's plenty for just about any driving, but it's really lacking if you want something with power, speed, oomph. The Infiniti has about 330. That's not a marginal difference. 211, simply put, is under powered. It's a coupe, not even a sports coupe. Which for cruising around is fine, but if you are like me and driving is part hobby, then you absolutely miss out on the chance to downshift hard into a turn, pump the gas at the apex and then gun it for some thrills (and there are some great rides on the North Shore to do that with).

Otis said:
Mr. Pickles said:

Obviously that's plenty for just about any driving, but it's really lacking if you want something with power, speed, oomph. The Infiniti has about 330. That's not a marginal difference. 211, simply put, is under powered. It's a coupe, not even a sports coupe. Which for cruising around is fine, but if you are like me and driving is part hobby, then you absolutely miss out on the chance to downshift hard into a turn, pump the gas at the apex and then gun it for some thrills (and there are some great rides on the North Shore to do that with).
Don't you drive a Jeep?

Otis said:
Mr. Pickles said:

Your comments about pumping apexes sounds much gayer than me wanting a mini.

There must be a V6 available in that car. The V6 version I had was great.

Otis said:
Mr. Pickles said:

Don't you drive a Jeep?
Now I do, yes. 5 months in the jeep after 8 years of the Infiniti coupe 6MT/37s.

I had a similar experience... it was the first winter I had the car. I was parked in a Long Island Railroad Parking lot - it was just about totally flat. What I did not realize is that a little black ice had formed. Nothing major at all, we are talking the tiniest bit.

It took me more than an hour to get out of there at 3am in the morning. Went the next day to get winter tires and never had a significant issue. It was not a "good" snow car, but I drove plenty of times when I shouldn't have and never got fully stuck.

Now I went to a Jeep Wrangler 4 Door, so I can't wait for the snow.
This is an impossibility :Shuke:

Otis said:
Mr. Pickles said:

Your comments about pumping apexes sounds much gayer than me wanting a mini. There must be a V6 available in that car. The V6 version I had was great.
They used to make a v6 in the a5. Now, they only put v6 in the s5 (or so I was told) And it has 300+ hp. The current a5 is certainly not fast, but not that bad either.

apples to oranges IMO. 800 HP in a tank wouldn't be very fun. The X5 weighs 5000+ lbs empty and while I'm sure it handles well for it's size, you're not going to be outcornering any rally cars in it.

I drove my friends Audi S5 (333HP/325lb-ft)and it was a great, great car. 260HP is quick but if you're buying a car to drive like you're letting your inner 17 year old out, you want more than 260HP in a car that size.

apples to oranges IMO. 800 HP in a tank wouldn't be very fun. The X5 weighs 5000+ lbs empty and while I'm sure it handles well for it's size, you're not going to be outcornering any rally cars in it.I drove my friends Audi S5 (333HP/325lb-ft)and it was a great, great car. 260HP is quick but if you're buying a car to drive like you're letting your inner 17 year old out, you want more than 260HP in a car that size.
My Jeeo has approaching 300hp. No one is confusing it with quick nor fast.

260 can work in the right car. Heck, if it's light enough 260 could be great.

Unfortunately the a5 is 211. Sorry, but that sucks.

45 and now single. Girlfriend is gone and now so is my car.

I haven't a car payment in 15 years, so I'd like to keep it right around 30k if possible.

Live in the city

Will be using this for everything. Zipping around the city, camping, room for golf clubs....

Am I gay for wanting a new Subaru Crosstrek?

:coffee

Users who are viewing this thread