What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bet the farm on Houston this weekend (1 Viewer)

Anyone else think the result would have been different with Cutler playing? They only ended up losing by 7 and Jay Cutler has statistically been the best Quarterback in the NFL in the 4th Quarter.
Hou would have won by more had Cutler played--he was terrible tonight. Most of Cutler's 4th qtr stats are when they already have the lead (see last week).

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else think the result would have been different with Cutler playing? They only ended up losing by 7 and Jay Cutler has statistically been the best Quarterback in the NFL in the 4th Quarter.
The Texans defense was swarming the Bears all night long. Cutler completed a mere 50% of his passes for less than 6 ypa, 40 yards total, threw two picks, and you think he would've pulled it out for them in the second half?Crazy talk.

I missed this thread earlier, to my regret, because there's so much wrong here that I would've had a field day. Those fools dismissing the Texans clearly haven't watched any Texans football except the Green Bay debacle. You guys know nothing about this team. Hope you learned a lesson tonight.

I missed this thread earlier, to my regret, because there's so much wrong here that I would've had a field day. Those fools dismissing the Texans clearly haven't watched any Texans football except the Green Bay debacle. You guys know nothing about this team. Hope you learned a lesson tonight.
Seemed like a good idea to post this two hours after the game ended, did it?

But dude. He obviously knew

I'm just hoping he'll let us know who'll win the 1996 World Series.

I'm just hoping he'll let us know who'll win the 1996 World Series.
I'd actually rather know about '94.

I guess? Being totally honest, I am a Texans homer. Rest assured, if I'd seen this thread earlier, I would have jumped into the fray because there are multiple ridiculous posts here dismissing my Texans. Cutler over Schaub? BWAHAHAHAH

I guess? Being totally honest, I am a Texans homer. Rest assured, if I'd seen this thread earlier, I would have jumped into the fray because there are multiple ridiculous posts here dismissing my Texans. Cutler over Schaub? BWAHAHAHAH
Bob McNair, is that you?

I guess? Being totally honest, I am a Texans homer. Rest assured, if I'd seen this thread earlier, I would have jumped into the fray because there are multiple ridiculous posts here dismissing my Texans.
That's fine. But when your first post comes after the game ended, and it's a sermon about how you hope everyone learned their lesson, it comes off horribly.

Much stupid here there is. I get it, plenty of naysayers refuse to believe in the Texans until they go to or win the Super Bowl. However, some objective analysts are smart enough to put aside the failings of the past to see what stares them in the face. This Houston team is very, very good. You don't dominate time of possession and point differential stats in the NFL because of anything other than being a damn good football team.

Some of us see it coming. Others need to get hit to believe it will happen. I think it's indisputable: the 2012 Houston Texans are elite.

Much stupid here there is. I get it, plenty of naysayers refuse to believe in the Texans until they go to or win the Super Bowl. However, some objective analysts are smart enough to put aside the failings of the past to see what stares them in the face. This Houston team is very, very good. You don't dominate time of possession and point differential stats in the NFL because of anything other than being a damn good football team.

Some of us see it coming. Others need to get hit to believe it will happen. I think it's indisputable: the 2012 Houston Texans are elite.
So you would have posted this same exact thing - after the game ended - if the Bears won 24-3?

I guess? Being totally honest, I am a Texans homer. Rest assured, if I'd seen this thread earlier, I would have jumped into the fray because there are multiple ridiculous posts here dismissing my Texans.
That's fine. But when your first post comes after the game ended, and it's a sermon about how you hope everyone learned their lesson, it comes off horribly.
I could not care less about that. I've been wrong plenty of times about the team I watch every Sunday, but we Texans fans haven't been wrong often this year. Nor have the brainiacs at some of the advanced NFL stats sites. You can write it off as second-guessing as I wasn't around two days to dismiss some of these arguments, but tonight's game really doesn't change the fact that the many of the statements dismissing the Texans are without merit based on the stats. The Texans have been excellent all year long, especially on the defensive side of the football. Good luck getting a first down against them. ....Best in the NFL in that category, among others.

I could not care less about that.
Clearly.

Lobary, I agree that the Texans are the best team in the NFL right now, and they don't get the respect they deserve from the media and a lot of fans, but coming into this thread and spouting off about them after they won makes you look like another internet blowhard who said, "See, I told you they'd win," after the fact. I probably would have picked a different thread to boast about the Texans, is all. :thumbup: :thumbup:

So you would have posted this same exact thing - after the game ended - if the Bears won 24-3?
False comparison. That's not what happened. Duh. If the Bears had stomped the Texans on both sides of the ball, then it would obviously depend on how how said stomping went down. But they didn't, as I suspected they wouldn't. I thought they'd win a very close one, btw, solely on the basis of the special teams advantage. I'm ecstatic to be wrong about that. I was surprised to see the Texans ST perform as well as they did against Hester because they've been terrible all year long.

False comparison. That's not what happened. Duh. If the Bears had stomped the Texans on both sides of the ball, then it would obviously depend on how how said stomping went down. But they didn't, as I suspected they wouldn't. I thought they'd win a very close one, btw, solely on the basis of the special teams advantage. I'm ecstatic to be wrong about that. I was surprised to see the Texans ST perform as well as they did against Hester because they've been terrible all year long.
How are we to know what you "suspected?" You didn't post here until the Texans were on the plane home. Duh.

Lobary, I agree that the Texans are the best team in the NFL right now, and they don't get the respect they deserve from the media and a lot of fans, but coming into this thread and spouting off about them after they won makes you look like another internet blowhard who said, "See, I told you they'd win," after the fact. I probably would have picked a different thread to boast about the Texans, is all. :thumbup: :thumbup:
It's not about the result of this game, it's about the posters in this thread ignoring the weight of statistics that said the Texans were the NFL's best team going into this game. Matt Schaub has started thirteen games going back to his injury last year in week seven. The Texans have won twelve of them.

It's not about the result of this game, it's about the posters in this thread ignoring the weight of statistics that said the Texans were the NFL's best team going into this game. Matt Schaub has started thirteen games going back to his injury last year in week seven. The Texans have won twelve of them.
I am not arguing against the Texans; I am simply saying that your timing reeks of someone waiting till after a game is finished and then talking about how obvious it would win that a certain would win. Regardless of whether or not that was your intention, that is how it comes off.

I am not arguing against the Texans; I am simply saying that your timing reeks of someone waiting till after a game is finished and then talking about how obvious it would win that a certain would win. Regardless of whether or not that was your intention, that is how it comes off.
Fair enough, but I have enough of a history as a Texans homer on this board that it's pretty clear how I'd opine had I seen this thread days ago. I'm no objective analyst when it comes to the Texans.

Not sure. Campbell did seem awfully willing to check down - even when there wasn't much of a pass rush. He also missed some throws in the 4th quarter that I think Cutler makes. But with field condidtions and such it's way to difficult to say.On a side note, can the Bears just claim that Mike Martz is insane and undo that Greg Olsen trade? It sure would be nice to have a TE who can catch. Especially since Kellen Davis can't block either. Ironically he wears 87. I think Tommy Waddle needs to take that away until KD actually catches a few passes in a row - he's ruining the number.

Much stupid here there is. I get it, plenty of naysayers refuse to believe in the Texans until they go to or win the Super Bowl. However, some objective analysts are smart enough to put aside the failings of the past to see what stares them in the face. This Houston team is very, very good. You don't dominate time of possession and point differential stats in the NFL because of anything other than being a damn good football team.Some of us see it coming. Others need to get hit to believe it will happen. I think it's indisputable: the 2012 Houston Texans are elite.
Wow, amazing how clueless someone with over a thousand posts can be.

The Texans defense was swarming the Bears all night long. Cutler completed a mere 50% of his passes for less than 6 ypa, 40 yards total, threw two picks, and you think he would've pulled it out for them in the second half?Crazy talk.
To think he still played two drives after being concussed and threw one of the picks then as well.You're a coward when you only post after your team wins.

Fair enough, but I have enough of a history as a Texans homer on this board that it's pretty clear how I'd opine had I seen this thread days ago. I'm no objective analyst when it comes to the Texans.
How much did you put on the game?

Hou would have won by more had Cutler played--he was terrible tonight. Most of Cutler's 4th qtr stats are when they already have the lead (see last week).
Maybe not totally because of things like last week...but how many times has he had to have big drives on his own late late in games to win.Don't give me Carolina...the D won that one.I think he has obviously played better...and much of what you say about them playing with the lead is true (and yes, last week did skew his stats even more...but he was already having a higher 4th quarter rating before that.That said, I don't suspect he would have brought them back last night the way he was playing or the Houston D was playing.

Maybe not totally because of things like last week...but how many times has he had to have big drives on his own late late in games to win.Don't give me Carolina...the D won that one.

I think he has obviously played better...and much of what you say about them playing with the lead is true (and yes, last week did skew his stats even more...but he was already having a higher 4th quarter rating before that.

That said, I don't suspect he would have brought them back last night the way he was playing or the Houston D was playing.
So take away his most recent because it proves the point? In the Panthers game, Cutler threw a laser to Kellen Davis in tight coverage for a TD and then led the game winning drive into scoring range, he accomplished all of that.People hate Cutler, I get it. The media needs a villain and Cutler really doesn't care about the media. He doesn't do commercials or want publicity. Jay Cutler is not elite, he's an average starting QB. Once people start accepting this fact, they can move forward(although I doubt people will because they want to hate him). Everybody expecting him to do great things will be disappointed. But he's good enough to help Chicago win games.

I watched the game last night and Cutler threw a perfect ball that Marshall dropped in the end zone. Could've changed the whole game. The first interception he forced. The second interception was a great play by Kareem Jackson(sometimes players make great plays and again, Cutler isn't elite it will happen). He played two series after getting drilled and he came right back in the game after Suh dropped him on his head. Cutler is a tough cookie. He's the best QB Chicago has had maybe ever, but he's not one of the best QB's in the NFL. Accept the fact and move your expectations down.

Maybe not totally because of things like last week...but how many times has he had to have big drives on his own late late in games to win.Don't give me Carolina...the D won that one.

I think he has obviously played better...and much of what you say about them playing with the lead is true (and yes, last week did skew his stats even more...but he was already having a higher 4th quarter rating before that.

That said, I don't suspect he would have brought them back last night the way he was playing or the Houston D was playing.
So take away his most recent because it proves the point? In the Panthers game, Cutler threw a laser to Kellen Davis in tight coverage for a TD and then led the game winning drive into scoring range, he accomplished all of that.People hate Cutler, I get it. The media needs a villain and Cutler really doesn't care about the media. He doesn't do commercials or want publicity. Jay Cutler is not elite, he's an average starting QB. Once people start accepting this fact, they can move forward(although I doubt people will because they want to hate him). Everybody expecting him to do great things will be disappointed. But he's good enough to help Chicago win games.

I watched the game last night and Cutler threw a perfect ball that Marshall dropped in the end zone. Could've changed the whole game. The first interception he forced. The second interception was a great play by Kareem Jackson(sometimes players make great plays and again, Cutler isn't elite it will happen). He played two series after getting drilled and he came right back in the game after Suh dropped him on his head. Cutler is a tough cookie. He's the best QB Chicago has had maybe ever, but he's not one of the best QB's in the NFL. Accept the fact and move your expectations down.
Not true. He respects the hell out of Barstoolsports :thumbup:

'Lobary said:

I don't want to burst your bubble Lobrary however me wanting to back the truck up for 1 game has nothing to do with my opinion on whether or not the Texans are elite. Now the Giants for example are elite, the 6-4 record and getting their butts handed to them on Sunday by the bengals would make some say no way, however the two rings around Eli's fingers and their stellar playoff record would indicate different. Until Houston can prove it in the playoffs I don't think you can say elite. Just want to clarify that so the viewing audience doesn't think I wear Texans pajamas to bed every night ;)

'Ghost Rider said:
... but coming into this thread and spouting off about them after they won makes you look like another internet blowhard who said, "See, I told you they'd win," after the fact. I probably would have picked a different thread to boast about the Texans, is all. :thumbup: :thumbup:
:goodposting: :goodposting:

'tdmills said:
'sho nuff said:
'silentcoach said:
'Eminence said:

I know thta Cutler is a divisive QB - muc the same way that Rivers is. You iether love them or hate them and nothing in between. Odlly though, while my hatred for Rivers knows no end, I kind of like Cutler. I agree with your assessment - he is not a superstar, but he is an adequate NFL starting QB. I like his grittiness. I think he is a guy thta if he is on the team you root for you would love the fire, but for th elife of me I can't figure out why the majority of Bear fans can't get behind him. I am not ready to get rid of Bradford, but lets say he was hurt - I'd be more thna happy if Cutler was taking reps for the Rams.

'Lobary said:
'Ghost Rider said:
:lmao: This guy just doesn't get it.

'tdmills said:
'sho nuff said:
'silentcoach said:
'Eminence said:

Great...take the Carolina one...part of the problem is...why did they need that 4th quarter (where the D first put them ahead BTW...) because of what? His poor play. He played a nice 4th quarter...against a putrid team.

I don't hate Cutler at all...as a Packer fan, I love him. :)

Part of the problem is there are always excuses like yours for Cutler...always. Part of what annoys fans on boards like this.

'tdmills said:
'sho nuff said:
'silentcoach said:
'Eminence said:

Great...take the Carolina one...part of the problem is...why did they need that 4th quarter (where the D first put them ahead BTW...) because of what? His poor play. He played a nice 4th quarter...against a putrid team.

Part of the problem is there are always excuses like yours for Cutler...always. Part of what annoys fans on boards like this.
1) You're a Packers fan that is entering this thread with the only intent to insult Cutler or Chicago players. The SP knows this and it's annoying.

2) I'm not a fan of either team. Although, I own Cutler in a FF league. So if that makes me biased, so be it. I'm not an expert on Cutler, but i've watched a few of his games including the last two.

3) Are you expecting Cutler to play flawlessly and therefore never have to come back in a game? Carolina isn't good, but they played good vs Chicago that game and Chicago played poorly. It's a long season in the NFL, it happens. Peyton Manning/Brady/Rodgers/etc all have bad games or quarters or halves. This line of thinking that they're behind so Cutler is terrible was exactly my point. Lower your expectations for Cutler!!!

4) Cutler is never going to have over 100 rating for a season. He will probably always be in the 80's, throw INT's that make people scratch their heads, have poor pocket awareness and throw off of his back foot. He needs a clean pocket and tons of weapons around him to get his rating into the 90's.

The Bears defense is really just an average defense that has been way above average in forcing turnovers. They causes fumbles and interceptions at a rate of nearly 2.5x the average nfl team (2.42x more likely to cause a fumble on any given run play, and 2.1x more likely to cause an INT on any given pass play). Those things even out. Not saying they'll drop down to average, but 2.5x is really high. They're weakness on defense is also the run (4.3 ypc, 22nd worse in the NFL) which coincides with Houstons strength.
The two bolded, by your own use of the English language, contradict. The Bears "force turnovers" - that means that the high turnover number is a result of an action on their part - not some flukey statistic that will automatically "even out". Tillman being able to force 4 fumbles in a single game is not a stat that will likely repeat, as defenders will be more caustious - but they Bears averaging several take aways a game has been the case for a number of years.
Those two statements do not contradict. I specifically said that the Bears would not drop down to average, but that the rate at which they create turnovers is not sustainable and will regress to a more normal number, which should still be above average, just not 2 and half times above average.

2nd - your starting sentence would be like saying "The Texans have just an average offense, except they run block way above average."
This is not nearly saying the same thing. I'm not really sure how to respond if you truly think those two are statements are equivalent.

'Lobary said:

I don't want to burst your bubble Lobrary however me wanting to back the truck up for 1 game has nothing to do with my opinion on whether or not the Texans are elite. Now the Giants for example are elite, the 6-4 record and getting their butts handed to them on Sunday by the bengals would make some say no way, however the two rings around Eli's fingers and their stellar playoff record would indicate different. Until Houston can prove it in the playoffs I don't think you can say elite. Just want to clarify that so the viewing audience doesn't think I wear Texans pajamas to bed every night ;)
Consider your invite to the Texans sleep over canceled!

'Lobary said:

I'll send MOP my Texans onesie!

'tdmills said:
'sho nuff said:
'silentcoach said:
'Eminence said:

1) You're a Packers fan that is entering this thread with the only intent to insult Cutler or Chicago players. The SP knows this and it's annoying.

2) I'm not a fan of either team. Although, I own Cutler in a FF league. So if that makes me biased, so be it. I'm not an expert on Cutler, but i've watched a few of his games including the last two.

3) Are you expecting Cutler to play flawlessly and therefore never have to come back in a game? Carolina isn't good, but they played good vs Chicago that game and Chicago played poorly. It's a long season in the NFL, it happens. Peyton Manning/Brady/Rodgers/etc all have bad games or quarters or halves. This line of thinking that they're behind so Cutler is terrible was exactly my point. Lower your expectations for Cutler!!!

4) Cutler is never going to have over 100 rating for a season. He will probably always be in the 80's, throw INT's that make people scratch their heads, have poor pocket awareness and throw off of his back foot. He needs a clean pocket and tons of weapons around him to get his rating into the 90's.
1) I insulted Chicago players? Im a Packers fan who stated I can't say for sure he would not have helped last night...and that he has rarely been really tested in the 4th quarter. You claim I am just here to insult Chicago and Cutler...but you seem to insult him more than I do in these posts.2) I recall you being a Bears fan...when did this change? You seem awfully quick to always make excuses for them.

3) Flawlessly? Never did I claim as such...but look at his play the rest of that Carolina game and last night prior to the injury. It was terrible.

4) Where did I say anything about his rating being over 100? He is basically a version of Favre...without being nearly as good or able to really lead his team. He is 100% of bad Favre...with only about 50% of the good Favre.

'Lobary said:

I'll send MOP my Texans onesie!
Both funny

'tdmills said:
'sho nuff said:
'silentcoach said:
'Eminence said:

1) I insulted Chicago players? Im a Packers fan who stated I can't say for sure he would not have helped last night...and that he has rarely been really tested in the 4th quarter. You claim I am just here to insult Chicago and Cutler...but you seem to insult him more than I do in these posts.2) I recall you being a Bears fan...when did this change? You seem awfully quick to always make excuses for them.

3) Flawlessly? Never did I claim as such...but look at his play the rest of that Carolina game and last night prior to the injury. It was terrible.

4) Where did I say anything about his rating being over 100? He is basically a version of Favre...without being nearly as good or able to really lead his team. He is 100% of bad Favre...with only about 50% of the good Favre.
Lol, just because I disagree with you, it doesn't make me a Bears fan.I insult Cutler more than you but I make quick excuses, which is it?

I've seen several of your posts digging at Cutler and/or Bears players for the simple intent to pile on. That was my reasoning for calling you out.

I'm a Chiefs fan :bag:

Lol, just because I disagree with you, it doesn't make me a Bears fan.I insult Cutler more than you but I make quick excuses, which is it?I've seen several of your posts digging at Cutler and/or Bears players for the simple intent to pile on. That was my reasoning for calling you out.I'm a Chiefs fan :bag:
Never claimed disagreeing with me made you a Bears fan. I guess I am mistake but recalled you defending the Bears and discussing them quite often in the past.I state you insult him in that post...but you do constantly make excuses for him as well...or you have.I don't think you have seen the posts you claim to have about Bears players.I don't do it to pile on with them.Cutler is a very good QB...who makes very bad decisions. He has the arm, I don't think he has the mind for it to really succeed.Not sure what other Bears players you have seen me "digging at"...unless its the Oline. And if thats the case...I don't think it takes a Bear hater or homer of another team to do that. Their own fans do that...as they should. I will do the same to the Packers Oline as it blows too.

Users who are viewing this thread