What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bicycle Guys! (2 Viewers)

I so wish I took the opportunity to rent the Ripley AF last march when I was in Sedona. I went with the Ripmo instead but that's way too much bike for the type of riding I do. Shop not too far from me has one on sale for $3200 which is a grand less than msrp, but I just can't pull the trigger until I test it out. This is wishful thinking, but I'll be able to rent again this March and I just hope that bike sticks around until then.
The Ripmo AF and Ripley AF are currently 25% off everywhere. My local shops are all out of stock, but they can be ordered online…. Which makes me a bit nervous
What you think might be going down?

I so wish I took the opportunity to rent the Ripley AF last march when I was in Sedona. I went with the Ripmo instead but that's way too much bike for the type of riding I do. Shop not too far from me has one on sale for $3200 which is a grand less than msrp, but I just can't pull the trigger until I test it out. This is wishful thinking, but I'll be able to rent again this March and I just hope that bike sticks around until then.
The Ripmo AF and Ripley AF are currently 25% off everywhere. My local shops are all out of stock, but they can be ordered online…. Which makes me a bit nervous
No idea. Maybe a frame update is coming and they want to clear out the old stock? Forbidden is also discounting their Druids by 25%, which is another bike that interests me..... but it appears they are only available in an ugly brown color

When I said it made me nervous I was referring to dropping $3k+ on a bike that I haven't ridden.

No idea. Maybe a frame update is coming and they want to clear out the old stock? Forbidden is also discounting their Druids by 25%, which is another bike that interests me..... but it appears they are only available in an ugly brown color

When I said it made me nervous I was referring to dropping $3k+ on a bike that I haven't ridden.
Gotcha. Same here. Although don't see any XLs in stock so if they are clearing out inventory, I might have missed the boat.

Some articles have mentioned that there might be a discount on bikes at the end of this season - it sounded like the manufacturers ramped up when there were no bikes available, and now there might be a glut. I haven't seen it yet, though.

Ibis recently did a "rebranding" by updating their logo and website, along with introducing their new 2023 lineup that includes new paintjobs that reflect the new logo.

Will probably end up pulling the trigger on the Ripley AF by the end of the day as a local shop can get the Deore model for 25% off where everywhere else only has the SLX version available. Brings the price down to $2,850. My only concern is the 2-piston brakes and if they'll provide the stopping power I'm accustomed to.

Some articles have mentioned that there might be a discount on bikes at the end of this season - it sounded like the manufacturers ramped up when there were no bikes available, and now there might be a glut. I haven't seen it yet, though.
I have a good friend who works in the industry and he says that there will be great bike deals in November as inventories went way up and demand came down this season.

I have a good friend who works in the industry and he says that there will be great bike deals in November as inventories went way up and demand came down this season.
So the inverse of a year ago?

Ibis recently did a "rebranding" by updating their logo and website, along with introducing their new 2023 lineup that includes new paintjobs that reflect the new logo.

Will probably end up pulling the trigger on the Ripley AF by the end of the day as a local shop can get the Deore model for 25% off where everywhere else only has the SLX version available. Brings the price down to $2,850. My only concern is the 2-piston brakes and if they'll provide the stopping power I'm accustomed to.
If that’s your only concern pull the trigger! That’s an easily upgraded part and you can sell the take offs.

Yup. The pandemic rush cleaned them out of supply so they upped production and by the time production and inventories came up, demand went down. They have a lot of product on their hands.

Yup. The pandemic rush cleaned them out of supply so they upped production and by the time production and inventories came up, demand went down. They have a lot of product on their hands.
That’s what happened with cycleops (smart trainers). Interesting case study, and they can be found dirt cheap now.

That’s what happened with cycleops (smart trainers). Interesting case study, and they can be found dirt cheap now.
Can you point me to these deals? Considering staying in shape this winter.

Saris H3 is $518 on Amazon right now. Less than half what it was a year ago.

If that’s your only concern pull the trigger! That’s an easily upgraded part and you can sell the take offs.
Done

Done
If you zwift, let me know. I lead/do group zwift rides with my mountain biking club 1-2x a week during the winter.

Done
If you zwift, let me know. I lead/do group zwift rides with my mountain biking club 1-2x a week during the winter.
I’m in CA. I actually mountain bike in the winter

Done
Lucky. I do some, but the issue is more with light. Get home from work at 5 or 5:30 and it’s already dark.

Best way to find a deal is to browse at local bike shops, see who sells what brands and identify bikes that you like, do some research on your own, and then wait a few weeks for the sale if it isn't already happening. The inventory problem will be especially bad for local dealers, but they might be getting incentives/offers from the manufacturers and could order a discounted bike if they don't have it in stock.

Best way to find a deal is to browse at local bike shops, see who sells what brands and identify bikes that you like, do some research on your own, and then wait a few weeks for the sale if it isn't already happening. The inventory problem will be especially bad for local dealers, but they might be getting incentives/offers from the manufacturers and could order a discounted bike if they don't have it in stock.
I've had some good luck using Craig's list lately. Sold my Trek Marlin 7 for what I paid for it after owning it for 3 years. I suspect the bottom is going to drop out of the used market with this coming inventory glut though.

Done
Lucky. I do some, but the issue is more with light. Get home from work at 5 or 5:30 and it’s already dark.
I have a light.

I’ve got a few of those as well, but the combo of dark and under 40 degrees is a bit much. Especially on mondays and Thursday’s when there is a game on

I've had some good luck using Craig's list lately. Sold my Trek Marlin 7 for what I paid for it after owning it for 3 years. I suspect the bottom is going to drop out of the used market with this coming inventory glut though.
Sold my wife’s gravel bike for $100 than a bought it for 4 years ago.

Thanks, it's in my cart while I decide whether to hit the fire button.

It's been sub $400 a couple times in the last couple months (no telling if it will again). I missed it - drat. The H4 has been announced, so maybe they'll keep clearing these out. I'll be tempted if they do.

It's been sub $400 a couple times in the last couple months (no telling if it will again). I missed it - drat. The H4 has been announced, so maybe they'll keep clearing these out. I'll be tempted if they do.
I had the m2 before (their wheel on trainer). I did that because at the time my bike was a 10 speed and my wife’s was 11. It was fine, but loud. Was easy enough to swap between bikes, though. The biggest issue was I’d swap tires to an actual trainer tire to not tear up a regular tire (and they are quieter).

Sold that for $120 and bought a used h3 a few months ago for $350 as my current bike is 11 speed also. Now the “issue” is that while 11 speed, my bike is QR and hers is thru axle. Depending on the thru axle of the bike (if they have a handle at the end to spin them) some trainers don’t allow for them to spin, so you have to get a different adapter.

Anyway, I’ve got it down to about 5-8 minutes to swap bikes on the trainer now. You have to remove the wheel, install the wheel back on the bike you just removed, and swap axle type adapters. Just food for thought.

I had the m2 before (their wheel on trainer). I did that because at the time my bike was a 10 speed and my wife’s was 11. It was fine, but loud. Was easy enough to swap between bikes, though. The biggest issue was I’d swap tires to an actual trainer tire to not tear up a regular tire (and they are quieter).

Sold that for $120 and bought a used h3 a few months ago for $350 as my current bike is 11 speed also. Now the “issue” is that while 11 speed, my bike is QR and hers is thru axle. Depending on the thru axle of the bike (if they have a handle at the end to spin them) some trainers don’t allow for them to spin, so you have to get a different adapter.

Anyway, I’ve got it down to about 5-8 minutes to swap bikes on the trainer now. You have to remove the wheel, install the wheel back on the bike you just removed, and swap axle type adapters. Just food for thought.
I have a wheel on trainer (KICKR Snap). Works fine, just loud. I'd consider one of these, but it would have to be cheap and quiet. The Snap works fine and it matches power pretty well. None of my bikes have a through axle, so no worries there.

Done
When you getting your *** on it?

Done
When the bike is ready?

I feel like such an old stick in the mud, but it pisses me off that I can't do simple break adjustments on my commuter bike because of the hydraulic disc breaks. I like the stopping power as I am often commuting in heavy traffic, but would probably not have put those on the bike had I known I need special tools and know-how to work on them myself. I've been commuting with no front brake for a few weeks now and finally decided that's probably not a good idea. Guy at the bike shop laughed a bit yesterday when I complained they don't even have the barrel adjusters to get me through the next month or two before I put it away for winter.

Done
When the bike is ready?
Like ya, but when's that? No eta? I was hoping you'd maybe want to take a trip out to the east coast (kingdom trails is beautiful this time of year) before winter arrives so that I can try it out. :)

Done
When the bike is ready?
Like ya, but when's that? No eta?
I am going to call them today. They said a separate email would come when the bike is ready to pick up but I thought I would have gotten that email by now. There was no ETA given with the order, but I do see on their site that bikes ship within 3 days of the order being placed

I feel like such an old stick in the mud, but it pisses me off that I can't do simple break adjustments on my commuter bike because of the hydraulic disc breaks. I like the stopping power as I am often commuting in heavy traffic, but would probably not have put those on the bike had I known I need special tools and know-how to work on them myself. I've been commuting with no front brake for a few weeks now and finally decided that's probably not a good idea. Guy at the bike shop laughed a bit yesterday when I complained they don't even have the barrel adjusters to get me through the next month or two before I put it away for winter.
I’ll never use anything but hydraulic anymore. On any bike. Even my 7 year olds next bike will have to have them. And shimano. Easy to work on, and I have a good half gallon of the mineral oil in my garage.

Done
When the bike is ready?
Like ya, but when's that? No eta? I was hoping you'd maybe want to take a trip out to the east coast (kingdom trails is beautiful this time of year) before winter arrives so that I can try it out. :)
Bike is ready for pickup. Just gotta finish up with work and throw the bike rack on.

I’ll never use anything but hydraulic anymore. On any bike. Even my 7 year olds next bike will have to have them. And shimano. Easy to work on, and I have a good half gallon of the mineral oil in my garage.
I'm with Cletius here. I swapped out hydraulics for dual piston mechinicals on my gravel and fat tire bike for I wanted to be able to adjust more easily. I still have hydraulics on my mountain bike, for the stopping power is indeed way better - but for everyday riding or ease of adjustments, hydraulics are ****, IMO

I'm with Cletius here. I swapped out hydraulics for dual piston mechinicals on my gravel and fat tire bike for I wanted to be able to adjust more easily. I still have hydraulics on my mountain bike, for the stopping power is indeed way better - but for everyday riding or ease of adjustments, hydraulics are ****, IMO
I’m with mattty. I honestly find hydraulic disc brakes to be quite easy to work on. My SRAM brakes on the mountain bike haven’t required bleeding in over 2,000 miles of riding. The lever is still firm and the brakes bite hard. I just bled the Tektro brakes on my hybrid after over 3,000 miles and I thought the process was pretty simple. I have heard the Shimano mountain bike brakes require much more frequent bleeding because they use mineral oil as opposed to DOT, but I guess I’ll find out how true that is over the next year. Changing pads and resetting the pistons is super easy though and they self-adjust as the pads wear down.

My son’s mountain bike has mechanical disc brakes and I just can’t seem to get the damn things adjusted properly. They either constantly rub or have very little braking power unless they are adjusted absolutely perfectly. Could be a function of the brakes on his bike being lower quality.

I’m with mattty. I honestly find hydraulic disc brakes to be quite easy to work on. My SRAM brakes on the mountain bike haven’t required bleeding in over 2,000 miles of riding. The lever is still firm and the brakes bite hard. I just bled the Tektro brakes on my hybrid after over 3,000 miles and I thought the process was pretty simple. I have heard the Shimano mountain bike brakes require much more frequent bleeding because they use mineral oil as opposed to DOT, but I guess I’ll find out how true that is over the next year. Changing pads and resetting the pistons is super easy though and they self-adjust as the pads wear down.

My son’s mountain bike has mechanical disc brakes and I just can’t seem to get the damn things adjusted properly. They either constantly rub or have very little braking power unless they are adjusted absolutely perfectly. Could be a function of the brakes on his bike being lower quality.

This is really completely on me. I love the stopping power and that stuff is more important to me the older and fatter I get. That's why I said I feel old, because I sound like my father in law complaining that he can't change the oil in his new truck. I've been riding bikes for 50 years + and its almost always been a major part of how I get around town and stay in shape. I've always had a bike stand and good tools and never had to rely on a bike shop. I took a look at a couple youtubes last week and decided there's no way I'm going to bleed my own brakes, but I know that's just me being a dinosaur.

In any event, the shop just texted me that its ready for pick up and since its been raining today and yesterday I didn't miss anything.

This is really completely on me. I love the stopping power and that stuff is more important to me the older and fatter I get. That's why I said I feel old, because I sound like my father in law complaining that he can't change the oil in his new truck. I've been riding bikes for 50 years + and its almost always been a major part of how I get around town and stay in shape. I've always had a bike stand and good tools and never had to rely on a bike shop. I took a look at a couple youtubes last week and decided there's no way I'm going to bleed my own brakes, but I know that's just me being a dinosaur.

In any event, the shop just texted me that its ready for pick up and since its been raining today and yesterday I didn't miss anything.
I won't lie. When I was YouTubing how to bleed my brakes it seemed incredibly daunting. When I got the bleed kit and followed the instructions, it was way more straightforward than I thought it would be.

I love the stopping power and that stuff is more important to me the older and fatter I get.
Nah - the most important part of a bike is and always has been the front brake. Not being able to get going sucks, but not being able to stop is a catastrophe.

I bought it, even at the higher price. I watched a video, eager to swap over when it arrives.

I'm not sure - I might use my old bike on the trainer until I'm sure the riding season is finished (the youth racing team finishes Sunday). I have the tools and can make the swap, but I'm not sure I want to hassle with it regularly.

Just took the Ripley on a short lap at one of my local trails and on my first run was 2s slower than my PR on the hardtail despite a brake mishap in the first corner where I felt like I had absolutely no braking power so I spazzed and mashed the brakes and almost went OTB. So much traction in the corners that I’m not used to on the hard tail. I’m sure as I get used to how this bike handles I’ll be waaaay faster.

All that said, there is still something about the hard tail that I missed. It’s hard to explain, but there is a spice factor and a sketchiness to the hard tail that I love.

Registered for my 3rd XC race in April. The first one I didn't really train for and it completely kicked my ***. The second race I did a lot of training, lost over 50lbs and exceeded my own expectations on how I'd do despite leaving some gas in the tank at the finish line. This time I've gained about 30 of those pounds back and have regressed in my fitness. Going to put in some serious effort to train this time and hopefully perform even better than I did last year.

I finally replaced the bike that was stolen from my garage 6 years ago. Bought a 2017 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 on Craiglist yesterday. Low miles, all original parts, except for a large range in the cassette. Full carbon frame and fork, full Ultegra groupo, hydraulic disc brakes. Endurance geometry with good compliance and clearance up to 35c tires. Carbon rims that are set up tubeless. Bike is light AF. Never had a full carbon bike before.

It has the Giant "Ridesense" wheel and crank cadence sensor. I don't have a cycling computer. Can I pair this thing with my android phone and go without the cycling computer?

I don't have road specific pedals, but I do have some new in box eggbeaters, which I used for commuting. I'll start with those and see if I want to go to a stiffer shoe / pedal combo at some point.

Really want a gravel bike. Not sure why, just because.
New Bike Day!

Aaaand I got one. Went for the inaugural ride today (still recovering from an awful chest cold, so pretty short as I felt like keeling over the whole time). Nice ride. Feels a bit short because it's upright, so I may lower it down and get a longer stem. Fit is close, though. Build came in at 19.7lb without pedals, which is about a lb. less than a Salsa Warbird ($1800 more, to boot).

New Bike Day!

Aaaand I got one. Went for the inaugural ride today (still recovering from an awful chest cold, so pretty short as I felt like keeling over the whole time). Nice ride. Feels a bit short because it's upright, so I may lower it down and get a longer stem. Fit is close, though. Build came in at 19.7lb without pedals, which is about a lb. less than a Salsa Warbird ($1800 more, to boot).
I dig that color scheme

New Bike Day!

I dig that color scheme
If there was one letdown of the Obed offerings it was colors. This was the best of a lackluster selection - I do like it, all told. I'd have rathered a gloss finish over matte for something that gathers mud. But, all things considered, it is a great value (and a company pretty close to me, so "local"). I considered ordering the frame direct (CFR696) and having a wicked paint job put on there, but the 6 year warranty on the frame tipped the scales. Building and buying were essentially equal in cost.

New Bike Day!

Still rocking the 2x? could shave off at least 1/2 pound by going 1x

Sweet looking ride though.

New Bike Day!

I like my cadence and the jumps with a 1x are too big. If I had waited 6 months I may have been able to go with the Classified hub and go 1x in the front (that hub will revolutionize cycling). As it is I wanted a Swiss Army Bike, which means 2x. Happy with that choice.

BTW, the crank is a GRX600 crank, so 46/30 (for some reason GRX810 is 48/31). I replaced the left crank with a 4iii PM 810 arm and dropped all but 25 grams off of a full 810 crank. That 600 left crank arm is a brick.

Last edited:
In
New Bike Day!

I like my cadence and the jumps with a 1x are too big. If I had waited 6 months I may have been able to go with the Classified hub and go 1x in the front (that hub will revolutionize cycling). As it is I wanted a Swiss Army Bike, which means 2x. Happy with that choice.

BTW, the crank is a GRX600 crank, so 46/30 (for some reason GRX810 is 48/31). I replaced the left crank with a 4iii PM 810 arm and dropped all but 25 grams off of a full 810 crank. That 600 left crank arm is a brick.
I hadn’t read or heard about that Classified hub until just now. Sounds sick. It’s kinda like a Rohloff without the weight and stuff?

Finally got out on a decent ride with my new trek fuel ex. Loved it. Forgot to fully charge the sram axs rear derailleur battery and about 3/4 of the way on my last loop got that message on my car in that the battery was low. Not knowing how much longer it had I just picked a mid gear and used it the rest of the way.

Users who are viewing this thread