What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bilal Powell (3 Viewers)

So I traded hakeem nicks for Powell last week. I desperately need a RB2/Flex badly. Is Powell someone I can lean on now with the other guy hurt?
Depends how you define "lean on"...

He'll usually give you a solid, workmanlike effort but he's probably not going to explode given the limitations of his QB.

the key thing will be who gets goal line carries. Powell has gotten a couple the last two weeks and scored once in week 2 when Ivory was healthy. If they split those or Powell gets the most, I think he can still be a RB2 in PPR. still incredibly underrated, Rotoworld ranks him behind David Wilson going forward

Yeah, no one will ever mistaken Powell for an elite talent but his floor (in PPR) should stay rather high due to volume movie forward.

All I know is Rex absolutely loves this guys, called him one of the most underrated RBs in the league and will continue to lean on him through-out the season.

So when healthy, Ivory is the starter it seems.

He looked good, too. He runs nasty. Which of course is why he gets hurt.

Rotoworld:

According to ESPN New York, free agent RB Bilal Powell is "generating buzz in league circles."

Jets beat man Rich Cimini "spoke to coaches from two teams that described Powell as an underrated talent who will draw interest on the open market." In four seasons since the Jets took him in the fourth round of the 2011 draft, Powell has averaged just 3.90 YPC and scored six touchdowns on 332 carries. But he's a plus in the pass game, as both a protector and receiver. Powell will find a role somewhere.

Source: ESPN New York
Feb 20 - 8:47 AM

Rotoworld:

According to ESPN New York, free agent RB Bilal Powell is "generating buzz in league circles."

Jets beat man Rich Cimini "spoke to coaches from two teams that described Powell as an underrated talent who will draw interest on the open market." In four seasons since the Jets took him in the fourth round of the 2011 draft, Powell has averaged just 3.90 YPC and scored six touchdowns on 332 carries. But he's a plus in the pass game, as both a protector and receiver. Powell will find a role somewhere.

Feb 20 - 8:47 AM
The only way Powell is generating buzz is if he's carrying a fifth of vodka around with him.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Rich Cimini says the Jets' priority is to re-sign Bilal Powell over free agent C.J. Spiller.

The Jets were believed to be going hard after Spiller (with the Chan Gailey ties), so it's surprising to hear Powell holds more importance to them. Powell is expected to command a deal with a very reasonable annual salary between $1.6 million and $2 million. He's drawn favorable comparisons to Packers chain-mover James Starks.

Related: C.J. Spiller

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter
Mar 3 - 9:32 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Rich Cimini says the Jets' priority is to re-sign Bilal Powell over free agent C.J. Spiller.

The Jets were believed to be going hard after Spiller (with the Chan Gailey ties), so it's surprising to hear Powell holds more importance to them. Powell is expected to command a deal with a very reasonable annual salary between $1.6 million and $2 million. He's drawn favorable comparisons to Packers chain-mover James Starks.

Related: C.J. Spiller

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter
Mar 3 - 9:32 AM
This has to be a negotiating tactic on Spiller's salary expectations - right?

Rotoworld:

The New York Daily News reports the Jets believe free agent Bilal Powell is "leaning toward" a reunion with Rex Ryan in Buffalo.
Powell would back up LeSean McCoy with the Bills, potentially putting Fred Jackson on the chopping block. The Jets have wanted to keep Powell, but they wouldn't lose much with him leaving. They are expected to pursue C.J. Spiller.

Related: Bills

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter
Mar 8 - 1:59 PM

Rotoworld:

The Buffalo News reports the Bills are "going after" free agent RB Bilal Powell.

The New York Daily News has reported the interest is mutual. With Fred Jackson reportedly staying put for 2015, Powell's addition would mean curtains for Bryce Brown's time in Buffalo.

Related: Bills

Source: Tim Graham on Twitter
Mar 9 - 4:26 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini considers Bilal Powell the favorite for third-down duties.

It would be an upset if Powell didn't win the job. None of the other backs on the roster have shown much as pass catchers or pass protectors in the past, with Chris Ivory, Stevan Ridley, and Zac Stacy all profiling as early-down, between-the-tackles runners. Those three figure to be competing for early-down duties.

Source: ESPN.com
Jun 17 - 2:47 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN New York's Rich Cimini projects Bilal Powell as the Jets' No. 2 running back to begin training camp.

Chris Ivory is the starter, and Stevan Ridley's (ACL) health status is unknown. Cimini lists Ivory, Powell, and Zac Stacy as the Jets' top-three backs. Powell is a mediocre talent, but the Jets worked aggressively to retain him after hiring OC Chan Gailey, and Powell is the best passing-down back on the team. Powell has a chance to carve out deeper-league PPR value this year.

Jun 23 - 10:37 PM

I'm keeping an eye on Powell today. Could have an interesting role in Gailey's offense.

I'm keeping an eye on Powell today. Could have an interesting role in Gailey's offense.
got quite a few looks
was it only because of the blowout?
 Yes, it was only because of the blowout. And, yes, Bilal Powell is a swiss army knife of a back. He's good. But unless you're really deep or have a really deep league, forget him. Stacy is RB2 even if Ivory gets hurt, and him and Bilal will split duties. Honestly, the Jets backfield is wicked solid. Powell, Ivory, Stacy, Ridley (come week 8). It's good. But Powell as a fantasy guy? Probably not so much unless you have the cojones to start him and in an appropriate league to do so.

So.... Ivory hurt again and a Jets team looking to have much more life in it than anyone thought. Is there anything to see here? I know he came in with fresh legs late against Indy... But he looked a lot better than I remember. Wasn't Fred Jackson JAG until Gailey showed up? Probably nothing

Is Powell really the main backup or is it a RBBC or Stacy like a previous poster said?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Powell really the main backup or is it a RBBC or Stacy like a previous poster said?
Powell is the main backup. He is more valuable than Stacy because he is good on 3rd downs as a pass catcher and in blitz pickup.

Stacy was inactive in Week 1. He only saw action on two special teams plays in Week 2.

All aboard the Powell train for week 3! Ivory will be inactive. Powell will run ramshod on the hapless Eagles

15 rushes 87 yards 1 TD

5 catches 51 yards 1 tTD

Choo choo!

Last edited by a moderator:
All aboard the Powell train for week 3! Ivory will be inactive. Powell will run ramshod on the hapless Eagles

15 rushes 87 yards 1 TD

5 catches 51 yards 1 tTD

Choo choo!
Eagles defense isn't the problem.

Falcons RBs had 98 yards on 30 carries. Cowboys had 90 yards on 29 carries. Don't expect a big day for Powell but he should have some stats.

Yeah, it's far from a dream matchup. I'm just curious if anyone still thinks he has the talent to take the job? Old thread, but at some point people thought he was talented... Yet he has been a backup his whole career. I remember thinking the same thing about Forsett last year and missed out. Granted, slightly different circumstances. But new coaching staff without ties to either guy... At some point does he get a chance to be a bell cow? Or will it always be RBBC under Gailey?

Yeah, it's far from a dream matchup. I'm just curious if anyone still thinks he has the talent to take the job? Old thread, but at some point people thought he was talented... Yet he has been a backup his whole career. I remember thinking the same thing about Forsett last year and missed out. Granted, slightly different circumstances. But new coaching staff without ties to either guy... At some point does he get a chance to be a bell cow? Or will it always be RBBC under Gailey?
I'm not well versed on the situation but I get the impression the job is Ivory's once he comes back and will be unless Ivory gets seriously hurt. Powell is a handcuff and a fill in player this week though. Considering dropping Quick for him to help my lineup this week

looks like he's back this week.

kicking around dropping CJAnderson for him. if he can get back to around 12 - 15 touches / game the jets have a nice schedule vs. run defenses. and when ivory goes down like he typically does, could be a rb2.

looks like he's back this week.

kicking around dropping CJAnderson for him. if he can get back to around 12 - 15 touches / game the jets have a nice schedule vs. run defenses. and when ivory goes down like he typically does, could be a rb2.
what about ridley?

Bilal Powell - RB -  Jets

Bilal Powell rushed 12 times for 60 yards and caught 1-of-2 targets for five yards in the Jets' Week 1 win over the Lions.

Powell got the start for the Jets, playing the first six snaps before ceding work to Isaiah Crowell, who answered in a big way with a 10-102-2 rushing line. The two figure to split work pretty evenly for much of the season, but Powell would seem to be the favorite anytime the Jets are chasing points. That wasn't the case tonight with New York winning by 31. Powell will be on the RB3/FLEX map next week in the home opener against the Dolphins.

Sep 10 - 11:21 PM

If the Crow sits this week, are we firing up Bilal as a locked in RB2?  I probably will... and will be starting over John Brown, Keke, Geronimo, Baldwin, and smallwood.

Users who are viewing this thread