What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bilal Powell (2 Viewers)

Trenton Cannon had 4 catches for 75 yards.  Worth the add?

Elijah McGuire eligible to return next week

Waivers clear in about an hour and I’m strongly debating dropping my defense or kicker (Dan Bailey) in order to stash McGuire in my IR slot

Sadly, I think this will mark the end of Powell's tenure with the Jets. Solid player with a strong work ethic that just goes about his business. 

ETA: to answer the McGuire/Cannon question, I would stash McGuire - team brass really seems to like him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have long been a fan of Bilal Powell.  It is a shame his season ends like this.  Isaiah Crowell's second-half-of-the-season stock gets a bump, but he is nursing his own injury.  It has been mentioned that Elijah McGuire is eligible to return from IR Week 9, and he has the makings of a future starter for the Jets.  With the Jets sitting at 3-4 and grooming Darnold, there is a possibility the team eases McGuire into a significant role down the stretch.  Trenton Cannon is undersized and not as accomplished a receiver as McGuire, but his speed makes him intriguing.  The other guy I am closely monitoring is De'Angelo Henderson.  Henderson was briefly released then resigned to the Jets Practice Squad last week, as the Jets shuffled their roster.  With Powell on IR, Crowell nursing an injury and McGuire still shelved, it would seem logical that Henderson would be a candidate for promotion to the Jets' 53-man roster.

The player I would target here, in dynasty and redraft, is McGuire, although I would not overpay for him.  (I fortunately snagged him a week ago off dynasty waivers.)  Henderson is intriguing, but my confidence in him is waning.  Denver had solid depth at RB, so it was understandable when they let him walk, but I expected Henderson to make a push with the Jets, and his recent release from the PS gives me cause for concern.  Nevertheless, if he gets an opportunity, he could make some noise.  I certainly liked what I saw from Henderson in limited preseason duty with Denver.  Cannon does not appeal to me as a potential three-down back, but, at least on a temporary basis, he could earn a decent-sized role.

Bilal Powell A Good Start If Bell Sits

18 hours ago

New York Jets running back Bilal Powell would be in line for a starter's workload if running back Le'Veon Bell(illness) misses the game. Bell missed practice Thursday and Friday with an illness and is officially listed as questionable for Sunday's home date with Miami. Ty Montgomery would also likely see passing downs work in Bell's absence but the Jets have been relying on Powell more than Montgomery as the season goes on. Powell has gotten between four and seven carries four weeks in a row and has even played full offensive series in recent games when the Jets give Bell a rest. The Jets should provide an update on Bell Saturday but Powell would be in the RB2 discussion in a good matchup if Bell is out.

--Mike Schwarzenbach - RotoBaller

Source: NFL.com

Rotoworld:

Le'Veon Bell (illness) is out for Week 14 against the Dolphins.

Players rarely miss games with illnesses, but things happen. The Jets will turn to Bilal Powell and Ty Montgomery on Sunday against an awful Dolphins defense. It's still hard to trust these backs as confident plug-and-play options because of how inconsistent the Jets offense is, but Powell has been the more utilized backup in recent weeks. Expect Bell, who has averaged a league-worst 3.2 yards per carry behind this New York offensive line, to return in Week 15.

RELATED: 

Ty Montgomery

, Bilal Powell

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 7, 2019, 4:53 PM ET

Who’s got the guts?
Considering my RB1 is Dalvin Cook and my RB2 is Duke Johnson, Darwin Thompson, James Conner (out), or Alexander Mattison, I'm going with Powell. I'm not entirely comfortable with he and Ty Montgomery's snap splits, but I have full confidence in Powell as a back and against the exact right opponent.

Ring him up, put him in. I've always been a Powell fan, he's never gotten his true chance to be a lead back. That's not happening now at age 30, but for a game or two? YES.

I drafted Bilal last year or 2 years ago.  What a horrible choice that was.  He was a baller the season before whenever I drafted him so he has the potential v Miami. I picked him up so no one else does.. and will figure it out later. 

I drafted Bilal last year or 2 years ago.  What a horrible choice that was.  He was a baller the season before whenever I drafted him so he has the potential v Miami. I picked him up so no one else does.. and will figure it out later. 
Injuries and a RBBC sort of derailed his career. They year you might be thinking of was at least two years ago, when he balled out at the end of the season and Ivory was hurt. Powell had won that gig pretty much, IIRC. 

Would you start him over Singletary or Snell?
Much tougher decision. I’m starting Singletary as my RB 2 and probably flexing Powell. Snell has a nice matchup but doesn’t add anything in the passing game. Powell should see a few targets. 

Have to add in the Gase factor of course. The Jets should be able to run the ball well vs Miami but Gase isn’t known for taking advantage of the opponents weaknesses. 

I picked him up off the WW for another last min option in my flex along with P.Campbell, but unless J-Will has a knee flareup in pregame, I'm rolling with the GB Tandem of Jones/Williams......

Could be a difference maker at Flex in round 1 of the playoffs.

He's in. I remember games where Powell just tore em up both rushing and receiving. He's got an eye for the end zone too! He knows how to score.

Intriguing match up between two losing teams in NY hosting MIA. 

Injuries and a RBBC sort of derailed his career. They year you might be thinking of was at least two years ago, when he balled out at the end of the season and Ivory was hurt. Powell had won that gig pretty much, IIRC. 
You're correct it was 3 years ago. Time flies but scars never heal! 

Starting Powell over Washington and Shepard. Washington scares me a little but against that AZ pass D but banking on Powell getting 12-15 carries and 3-4 catches. What does everyone else think his usage will be?

You're correct it was 3 years ago. Time flies but scars never heal! 
No, they don't. I can still remember when Calvin Johnson was my first-rounder, I'd always wanted him in the first round, and it was the first year he battled ankle injuries to a degree. He was good, but that scarred because it sort of was tough sledding the whole year. 

That said, and back on topic, let's hope Powell has something left for today. Looks like he's running hard, but you can't really know with such a small sample size. But I know he's been all of these

• 1st and 2nd down back
  • Goal line back
  • 3rd done and long yardage back
He's a jack of all trades. The real worry is how Gase divvies up the splits.  

Starting Powell over Washington and Shepard. Washington scares me a little but against that AZ pass D but banking on Powell getting 12-15 carries and 3-4 catches. What does everyone else think his usage will be?
I can't tell you for sure, but I would guess a little less than that with Ty Montgomery around, who was the true cuff on many rosters to Bell. Powell's emergence on the depth chart has been a bit surprising to me, but he always, always wins coaching staffs over, so who knows what has gone on? Gase ain't on speakerphone. As to your question, I'd have an awfully hard time starting Powell over Washington, but that may just be chasing points on my end.  

Here's what I think. I think the Jets and Miami score around 52 O/U today. How that breaks down is anyone's guess. 

Vegas has the line at 46, with the Jets scoring 26, according to Roto. The Miami Dolphins snap plays and run an average tempo offense. The Jets run a below average one. Less plays. So we'll see. 

From Roto's Weekly Game Breakdowns, which are really good. 

Update: Le'Veon Bell has been ruled out with an illness, so Bilal Powell and Ty Montgomery will operate as the lead backs. Montgomery was No. 2 on the depth chart earlier in the season, but it's been Powell as the No. 2 in recent weeks. I'm not very confident in projecting touches here, although I'd rank Powell ahead of Montgomery. If you're in a tough spot, Powell can be flexed.  

Sounds about right. In a tough spot...

No, they don't. I can still remember when Calvin Johnson was my first-rounder, I'd always wanted him in the first round, and it was the first year he battled ankle injuries to a degree. He was good, but that scarred because it sort of was tough sledding the whole year. 

That said, and back on topic, let's hope Powell has something left for today. Looks like he's running hard, but you can't really know with such a small sample size. But I know he's been all of these

• 1st and 2nd down back
  • Goal line back
  • 3rd done and long yardage back
He's a jack of all trades. The real worry is how Gase divvies up the splits.  
It wouldn't surprise me if Powell  only 30 snaps and some nobody gets the rest of the snaps.  As far as Calvin Johnson I remember a long time ago or earlier this year when I drafted Antonio Brown is my number one receiver. 

I've got Darnold so I'm hoping for a shootout. Fitzmagic will score against banged up secondary. 

So, how many carries are the Jetes backs going to get? I say less than you think playing catch up. 

Of the two, yes Powell. BUT, don't expect a big game. 60 yards or so and maybe a TD, maybe. 

I'm starting Darnold over Josh Allen Goff and dropped brissett for Powell.  I trying not to Ruxin myself out of the playoffs. 

I've got Darnold so I'm hoping for a shootout. Fitzmagic will score against banged up secondary. 

So, how many carries are the Jetes backs going to get? I say less than you think playing catch up. 

Of the two, yes Powell. BUT, don't expect a big game. 60 yards or so and maybe a TD, maybe. 
Powell could very well catch one of the TD's from Darnold as well. It's called upside from a FA that wasn't even on the radar 12 hours ago.

That's why you flex if in a tough spot. I'm not hollering to start Powell at all costs. I'm saying he's been a competent back, if he gets a role against one of the worst run defenses in pro football, even behind a terrible line, he could get you some points. FBG has him rated today at 12.67 in PPR over the rest of the backs I have. 

That's why you flex if in a tough spot. I'm not hollering to start Powell at all costs. I'm saying he's been a competent back, if he gets a role against one of the worst run defenses in pro football, even behind a terrible line, he could get you some points. FBG has him rated today at 12.67 in PPR over the rest of the backs I have. 
Sure, I think that's a smart move over your other backs. I just think he gets less carries because of game script. Hopefully he can catch a TD for you! 

Sure, I think that's a smart move over your other backs. I just think he gets less carries because of game script. Hopefully he can catch a TD for you! 
Yeah, I sort of agree with you. I have the line a whopping six points higher than Vegas (no, I'm a dilettante at this, so don't give it that much weight) so I think it's a higher-scoring affair that doesn't necessarily lend itself to a Jets lead with that many DBs out.  

Bilal Powell rushed 19 times for 74 yards in the Jets' Week 14 win over the Dolphins, adding two catches for 14 additional yards.

Powell was the clear leader of the Jets' Le'Veon Bell-less backfield, though he did cede nine carries/12 touches to Ty Montgomery. For his troubles, Powell needed a post-game X-ray on his left foot. He was reportedly carted to the testing room. With Bell missing today's game with merely an illness, Powell should disappear from the scene just as quickly as he emerged. The Jets will be in Baltimore for Week 15.

SOURCE: Connor Hughes on Twitter

Dec 8, 2019, 6:11 PM ET

Jets coach Adam Gase said Bilal Powell (illness/ankle) is "uncertain" for Week 15 against the Ravens.

Powell is dealing with both an ankle injury and the flu ahead of Thursday's short turnaround against the Ravens. Gase said Le'Veon Bell (illness) wanted to play last week but was told to stay away from the team — a telling sign he'll be ready to go no matter Powell's final status. Ty Montgomery is the player to roster if there are any doubts about Bell's availability heading into Thursday.

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Dec 10, 2019, 12:23 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread