What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bitcoin-Explain to me how to buy these things (2 Viewers)

Anyone have a cliff notes version of why FTX is broke?

Also can you not get your crypto off FTX and onto a digital wallet?

The US subsidiary of FTX is separate from the international one. It's the international FTX that blew up. You should still be able to withdraw from FTX.US (I had a little in there and was able to withdraw it even after binance backed out). It's probably pretty likely this will ultimately destroy the US branch too so I would do it sooner rather than later.

BlockFi now suspending purchasing on their Visa cards also. WTF. I guess they'll still take my payment for the month tho? :lol: What a **** show!

BlockFi didn't really run the credit card so much as partner with them for the branding and rewards. I'm guessing the purchases are being shut down because the bank (Evolve Bank) no longer wants to work with BlockFi. But Evolve Bank is still alive and well and of course they'll definitely want to be paid what's owed on the card, and will come after that money the same way Visa or Mastercard would if it's unpaid.

The US subsidiary of FTX is separate from the international one. It's the international FTX that blew up. You should still be able to withdraw from FTX.US (I had a little in there and was able to withdraw it even after binance backed out). It's probably pretty likely this will ultimately destroy the US branch too so I would do it sooner rather than later.
Didn't FTX.US suspend withdrawals and file for bankruptcy yesterday?

They paused them for about an hour but then opened them back up again. Currently still open. I would do it ASAP as I would imagine they'll eventually shut them down there too.

I truly feel for those that bought high and lost a fortune. I know there are plenty who don't, but I do.
It's not even about buying high. People who used FTX as their trading exchange likely lost all their money too. The exchange used client funds for other purposes. It's as if you sent $50,000 to E-trade. E-trade uses that $50,000 to invest in start-up crypto projects. You hear E-trade is in trouble so you request to withdraw your money. E-trade says, "sorry, that money is gone. You didn't even have to trade. We did you the service of losing it for you."

SBF is on Twitter apologizing while admitting to comingling client funds with investment funds.

Ala Phenoms FF site

They paused them for about an hour but then opened them back up again. Currently still open. I would do it ASAP as I would imagine they'll eventually shut them down there too.
Thanks. Hard to keep up on this story.

Why didn't Sam Bankman-Fried diversify his investments? Was it not possible/feasible for him to extract them from the crypto world and invest them elsewhere?

I truly feel for those that bought high and lost a fortune. I know there are plenty who don't, but I do.
I think you’d have to be pretty heartless to not feel for them. It’s one thing to lose money because some coin tanked — that’s the risk of investing. It’s another to just completely have the money stolen from them via these seemingly safe exchanges. That’s not something that could be reasonably expected.
who could have ever expected an unregulated exchange to be fraudulent?
I'm sure the investors in Enron, Worldcom, and Lehman Brothers take solace in that. These things aren't restricted to the regulated side of the world. I do feel for those that got caught.
I feel badly for anyone who falls prey to scams or flat out has bad luck. Including folks in this situation.

But let’s not act like this is some out of the blue shock. Was it likely? I don’t know. It was an unregulated exchange for crypto. When “manias” happen or “bubbles” inflate, people get taken into cons and get scammed out of their money. Still sad to see people lose their money, but plenty of people were thumping their chests about how smart they were during the ascent…..

Why didn't Sam Bankman-Fried diversify his investments? Was it not possible/feasible for him to extract them from the crypto world and invest them elsewhere?
Check this out:

He did

But he was doing this with other people's money and holding HIS OWN token as collateral. So when CZ tells everyone hey yo I don't know about this token, imma sell mine--that's it. The end.

What a mess.

If you are reading this thread. ask questions. You NEED your own wallet. I know I posted it a long time ago, and maybe its a DUH comment now.

But im guessing, a few people dont know what that means.

If you purchased your crypto on coinbase, robinhood, ftx, etc. You dont really own your coins.

If you dont have a wallet with like a 12 word seed phrase. ask here. we can help

What a mess.

If you are reading this thread. ask questions. You NEED your own wallet. I know I posted it a long time ago, and maybe its a DUH comment now.

If you purchased your crypto on coinbase, robinhood, ftx, etc. You dont really own your coins.

If you dont have a wallet with like a 12 word seed phrase. ask here. we can help
What is the utility of these coins if everyone has to use and send to a private wallet?

What a mess.

What is the utility of these coins if everyone has to use and send to a private wallet?
Many will disagree

I think stocks and crypto are ponzi scams. They only go up if people buy. and its BS to say well, "tesla builds cars" It doesnt go up and down based on cars sold or money made. tesla should not be worth more than all the other car companies combined. or at least it was. or close. TESLA is down 41% over the last year. totally irrelevant to how many cars sold or money made. If people buy, it goes up, if they sell, it goes down.

I buy crypto to make money. private wallet or not.

Personally, I think ELON sold a bunch of telsa, that made it go down. duh.
Personally I think ELON will use DOGE as part of twitter. Therefore I think it will go up.

What a mess.

Many will disagree

I think stocks and crypto are ponzi scams. They only go up if people buy. and its BS to say well, "tesla builds cars" It doesnt go up and down based on cars sold or money made. tesla should not be worth more than all the other car companies combined. or at least it was. or close. TESLA is down 41% over the last year. totally irrelevant to how many cars sold or money made. If people buy, it goes up, if they sell, it goes down.

I buy crypto to make money. private wallet or not.

Personally, I think ELON sold a bunch of telsa, that made it go down. duh.
Personally I think ELON will use DOGE as part of twitter. Therefore I think it will go up.
As you said, many will disagree and I’m one of them. Calling stocks a Ponzi scheme is silly. Yes, the prices aren’t exactly tied to the earnings and revenue with a strict ratio and the stock never moves until the next earnings report. That’s called speculation in that investors are betting that a company’s earnings/revenue will be better than expected or worse. There’s FOMO involved and in some case there’s even cultish like behavior (meme stocks) where the company’s fundamentals don’t matter, but in the end when AMC files chapter 11, the craziness will go away.

Crypto, on the other hand, not sure what to call it but when it blows up like this the only tangible assets are coins and why some people might pay for those even though another coin going belly up is what caused it. As @Desert_Power posted above, if cold storage is the only safe place, the entire storyline of the coins and their value seems to go away. These exchanges are partially the reason for the run ups. When coins got added to Coinbase, that caused huge run ups because it created a market.

No idea where this goes but stock markets have crashed before and will again and they come back because there are tons of real companies with real assets and revenue. When FTT crashed like Terra, there’s nothing there to catch it because it was only faith that kept it aloft, nothing else.

I’m old and never really got the fascination. So coming from that perspective, if you no longer have the ease of the exchanges doesn’t the bull case for these coins diminish significantly? Only the hard core are going to go through the hassle of a cold wallet.

I know none of you are tax experts but.... With all of my holdings in the negative, would it make sense to sell everything now to get a tax write off for this year, then buy some back in a month or two when we think we hit the bottom?? I know way back last year there was some talk in here about how with stocks you can't sell a loss and then re-buy, but with crypto you could with no penalty. Am I remembering correctly?

• Thinking
Reactions: KGB
A week or 2 ago, I tried to move my CRO, about $800 (the crypto.com coin) into DOGE.

I didnt seem to work, but when I try again, it basically says I only have like $20 in CRO. Now CRO is down hugely and still cant do anything. I dont see a customer service number either :hot:

I know none of you are tax experts but.... With all of my holdings in the negative, would it make sense to sell everything now to get a tax write off for this year, then buy some back in a month or two when we think we hit the bottom?? I know way back last year there was some talk in here about how with stocks you can't sell a loss and then re-buy, but with crypto you could with no penalty. Am I remembering correctly?
I recall the tax rules changing or proposed to be changed. I'd research before concluding anything here.

What a mess.

Why?

If you hold the stuff and lock some letters in a safe what value is there above gold? Isn't the idea this would be a currency? If it has no use case then why hold it?

Stunned btc hasn't tested 1000 by now. Too many institutions got tied up seems my guess why it hasn't melted down completely.

Stop loss rule is 30 days. Have at it.

Yeah. I get why KGB would put money into it for speculation. Just hard to see how any of the bullish cases for these coins makes sense if you cannot trust the exchanges.
It's tough to operate in this environment without proper regulations. While you don't need to use centralized exchanges, their predominance and potential use of leverage can sink the value of any token you self-custody. Who knows how much more leverage needs to get flushed out of the system, but this is no time to be bottom hunting, imo.

What a mess.

Why?

If you hold the stuff and lock some letters in a safe what value is there above gold? Isn't the idea this would be a currency? If it has no use case then why hold it?

Stunned btc hasn't tested 1000 by now. Too many institutions got tied up seems my guess why it hasn't melted down completely.
Me too. I assume it’ll completely fold when Binance goes under.

What a mess.

Why?

Are you asking "Why?" because you think its worthless anyway? Hard to tell the tone of the question. Are you asking why even invest/bet on crypto?

for the most part, im not here telling you to invest in crypto. I just post my buys and sells and go on with life. My posting here isnt going to effect the price or anything so why do I care?

I do like reading about others buying and selling, because it gives me things to think about and research. So I do the same.

If you are truly asking why should you have your own wallet.... There are many answers. But here are 2.
1. becuase a place like robinhood or, ftx, or any centralized exchange actually owns your coins when you "buy" through them. So, for instance, Lets say a coin has a "promotion" and for every ETH you "own" you get 100000000 free **** coins. You dont get them, the exchange does.

2. If they fold, youre out of luck baby

fascinating story, feel bad for folks that have lost their $.
Man, those ****ers not only misused customer funds, but they were frontrunning trades. Complete assholes.

Very glad to not be in that mess. Funny enough I was in a covered call strategy on SOL when this went down. Little did I know that most of the BTC, ETH, etc. on SOL were backed by FTX - those have since severely depegged. I bridged the ETH on SOL to Ethereum prime and it went 1:1. Was only $700, but damn, you just don't know where you're gonna get hit. Now I have ETH and BTC in cold storage on native networks.

Man, those ****ers not only misused customer funds, but they were frontrunning trades. Complete assholes.

Very glad to not be in that mess. Funny enough I was in a covered call strategy on SOL when this went down. Little did I know that most of the BTC, ETH, etc. on SOL were backed by FTX - those have since severely depegged. I bridged the ETH on SOL to Ethereum prime and it went 1:1. Was only $700, but damn, you just don't know where you're gonna get hit. Now I have ETH and BTC in cold storage on native networks.
I only know my little space of crypto. I thought the only things "pegged" were things like USDC?

If you dont mind, id like to learn more :)

Just a thought..... for now.

FTX is down 94% in the last month. 74% in the last week. :tfp:

I kinda think FTX might end up coming out of this alive. I can see someone backing them and it flys up 60% or so. Hmmmmm
Current price $1.41

Ill be keeping an eye. but it will be a timing thing/short term thing

Last edited:

I only know my little space of crypto. I thought the only things "pegged" were things like USDC?

So, many of these networks have BTC. What happens is a network bridge (that has connections to BTC and to AVAX, for example) will hold BTC on one side and create AVAX-BTC on the other. As long as the bridge holds the coins 1:1 then all is well and AVAX-BTC is worth what BTC is worth.

What happened here is the Solana version of BTC was backed/held by FTX. When FTX had their bank run all the BTC was withdrawn (and then they went bankrupt), so there was nothing backing the BTC. So the SOBTC depegged and isn't worth a BTC. In fact, right now, the SOBTC is worth 5% of a BTC as there is nowhere to redeem it. So when you hear about bridges being hacked this is the risk - that they steal the backing tokens that backstop tokens on the other side.

So, many of these networks have BTC. What happens is a network bridge (that has connections to BTC and to AVAX, for example) will hold BTC on one side and create AVAX-BTC on the other. As long as the bridge holds the coins 1:1 then all is well and AVAX-BTC is worth what BTC is worth.

What happened here is the Solana version of BTC was backed/held by FTX. When FTX had their bank run all the BTC was withdrawn (and then they went bankrupt), so there was nothing backing the BTC. So the SOBTC depegged and isn't worth a BTC. In fact, right now, the SOBTC is worth 5% of a BTC as there is nowhere to redeem it. So when you hear about bridges being hacked this is the risk - that they steal the backing tokens that backstop tokens on the other side.
Oh, it was pegged to BTC, not the dollar like USDC.

Totally understood. TY

What a mess.

Why?

Huh? A wallet is where you can spend it, and can use it as currency, not an exchange.

Crypto the way it's meant to be, the role of an exchange would be little more than to onboard fiat into crypto, and then move that crypto off the exchange and into your wallet. In your wallet is where you can spend it, and where it's actually yours.

All this stuff with exchanges isn't really crypto/blockchain. The exchanges are just people speculating on coin prices and then leaving it there in the custody of someone else. Like you buying a stock and asking me to hold onto it for you and trusting that I won't do anything nefarious with it.

Regardless, your comment is kind of backwards, because crypto's use case is from wallets, not from exchanges. If your intent is to use it, you don't leave it sitting on an exchange.

Last edited:
What a mess.

Why?

Huh? A wallet is where you can spend it, and can use it as currency, not an exchange.

Crypto the way it's meant to be, the role of an exchange would be little more than to onboard fiat into crypto, and then move that crypto to your wallet. In your wallet is where you can spend it, and where it's actually yours.

All this stuff with exchanges isn't really crypto/blockchain. The exchanges are just people speculating on coin prices and then leaving it there in the custody of someone else. Like you buying a stock and asking me to hold onto it for you and trusting that I won't do anything nefarious with it.

Regardless, your comment doesn't make sense, because crypto's use case is from wallets, not from exchanges.
Well said

I kinda think FTX might end up coming out of this alive. I can see someone backing them and it flys up 60% or so. Hmmmmm
Current price $1.41

Just for fun, found some dust and
61.89603FTT
$87.97 USD
about $1.43

Current price $1.41

61.89603FTT
$87.97 USD
about $1.43
Lets gamble

1309.50109FTT
@ $1.45

Current price $1.41

61.89603FTT
$87.97 USD
about $1.43
Lets gamble

1309.50109FTT
@ $1.45
5785.08591FTT now. $1.50

There are no wash sale rules in crypto (yet). As far as I've heard, you can do what you described with no issue. I'm not a tax professional, but there are CPA opinions online that agree with what I just wrote.

Current price $1.41

61.89603FTT
$87.97 USD
about $1.43
Lets gamble

1309.50109FTT
@ $1.45
5785.08591FTT now. $1.50
purchased 5785 FTT $1.50
FTT was up to $2. Now at $1.75 (y)