What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boats - a thread about them (1 Viewer)

I have a friend that runs a local bike store.  He said a few weeks into the pandemic that he couldn't keep bikes on the shelf.  Stuff that had been sitting for 2-3 years was being sold.  He said after its gone they might close though because the supply of new inventory is gone.  

I guess its the same for the boating industry?   Your $5-10k family vacation get canceled?  Might as well buy a boat and stay at home?
Right, funny you say that... I bought a bike last month and had to take what I could get.  They laughed when I said i wanted a specific bike.

6'3"?  Here's the bike we have for you.  Just the one.  :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting a while regardless, but that seems ridiculous.  Could very well be a much different market if you hold off for a year.

I sold my boat last fall with hopes of buying a bigger boat this spring. That is no longer an option, the used boat inventory is terrible.

I am not even limited by geography. My last boat was purchased 1200 miles away. Although, I am being much more picky in my boat search this time.

It sounds like things may be on hold, but one other thing to think about if you plan to store a boat at a lake house is that you may need to winterize it in the winter. You need to be sure that you have a plan in place to get it winterized - sometimes the cold snaps sneak up on you and you’re not there to get it done.  I pay a guy to come to our place to do the winterizing. I think it’s like $150. 

It sounds like things may be on hold, but one other thing to think about if you plan to store a boat at a lake house is that you may need to winterize it in the winter. You need to be sure that you have a plan in place to get it winterized - sometimes the cold snaps sneak up on you and you’re not there to get it done.  I pay a guy to come to our place to do the winterizing. I think it’s like $150. 
Definitely the type of thing I need to learn, thank you.

Depends where you live, but when I think "cold snap" in San Antonio... it dips into the 30's for a couple hours over night like once a year.  :lol:   Would this require winterizing?

Depends where you live, but when I think "cold snap" in San Antonio... it dips into the 30's for a couple hours over night like once a year.  :lol:   Would this require winterizing?
My boat is in East Texas and requires winterizing. But it might get into the high 20s overnight a few times a year. I would talk to folks in the area to see what they do. 

I would say wait.....  I was going to buy a new/different camper and maybe upgrade my boat  this summer but after looking around and taking to some people I am totally waiting.  come next summer hopefully this pandemic is wrapped up and there will be a glut of nice barely used campers and boats for sale on the cheap. Sales guys said the pandemic has been great for them on both accounts.

I have a 18ft searay open bow speedboat, use it for pulling the kids tubing, skiing, wakeboarding & fishing.    Had it for 7 years now, its going on 20 years old but still in great shape. besides getting it winterized/oil change I have had to do nothing to it. Definitely not a money trap here, I think I could sell it for what I paid for it still.  Boats, especially used ones really hold there value as I'm sure you've noticed.

lol no way would I winterize a boat in san antonio.    Its $300 bucks to winterize my 4.3 inboard merc (and that's the cheapest place around), I've watched the videos of how to do it and its out of my wheelhouse and I'm worried I won't do it right.  It does sucks having to shell out $600+ to winterize and store the boat. My season in MN is waaaaaay shorter then yours will be.

I like the Yamaha and Scarab wake/surf boats.  21' are starting around $50k+

My boat is in East Texas and requires winterizing. But it might get into the high 20s overnight a few times a year. I would talk to folks in the area to see what they do. 

I have never winterized a boat in Houston and for many outboards you do not need to winterize a boat anywhere in the country(With the exception being Yamaha 350 engines). However Inboard/Outboards and Inboards need to be winterized anywhere that it freezes.

The like the Yamaha and Scarab wake/surf boats.  21' are starting around $50k+
Yeap, figured this would be a cheap (er) entry point for me to learn and figure stuff out.

Unfortunately, out of stock everywhere.  I believe Austin had a couple coming in that were already deposited on.  They will call if it falls through.

Yeap, figured this would be a cheap (er) entry point for me to learn and figure stuff out.

Unfortunately, out of stock everywhere.  I believe Austin had a couple coming in that were already deposited on.  They will call if it falls through.
I spend more time on boating forums than anywhere else on the internet and I am certainly not an expert, but I have learned a fair bit over the years.

What is your budget.

Primary use.

Secondary use.

How many people on a typical trip.

How many people will you take out on special outings.

Do you want inboard, outboard, or do you not care.

Do you want forward seating(if fishing is your primary use).

What accessories do you want?  Wake board pole, trolling motor, power pole, other?

I spend more time on boating forums than anywhere else on the internet and I am certainly not an expert, but I have learned a fair bit over the years.

What is your budget. - honestly will pay what I need to to enjoy a boat, lets aim for ~$100k ish.

Primary use. - for me and kids surfing, for wife and friends hanging out.

Secondary use. - fishing, cruising.

How many people on a typical trip. - 4 or 8

How many people will you take out on special outings. - 10-12

Do you want inboard, outboard, or do you not care. - inboard (surfing)

Do you want forward seating(if fishing is your primary use). - all the boats I am looking at have seating in the front.  If people want to fish on my boat, fine but not gonna get a fishing boat.

What accessories do you want?  Wake board pole, trolling motor, power pole, other? - the automatic wake adjusting technology I see is nice, a tower with speakers, a walk through (so people arent walking over upholstery), gps etc.

Also as noted above, I would like to fit it in a garage.... currently eyeing Nautique Super Air 210.  Apparently the tower folds down and gets to 7ft.
:thumbup:

May I ask what boating forums you frequent?

:thumbup:

May I ask what boating forums you frequent?

2coolfishing is a texas based site that is extremely active but is more geared towards fishing boats obviously and has the same sized userbase as FBG.

thehulltruth is is a global site, although mostly US with a ridiculously large user base for a specialized forum. It currently has 10 times the users on the site when compared to FBG forums.

I stored one of my previous boats in the garage and I have a 4' longer and 2' wider garage than standard and it was an extremely tight fit to get a 20' boat in there. I had to remove the windshield to get below the height requirements, and I needed to get my trailer customized with a foldable tongue. Although one day I forgot to remove the windshield before backing my boat in the garage which solved that problem.  Another thing to consider is that the width on most of the boats is 8'6" which is quite a bit wider than a standard vehicle(2 feet wider than a honda pilot for example). My wife hated pulling her car beside the boat, because there was almost no room to open the doors.

I have never winterized a boat in Houston and for many outboards you do not need to winterize a boat anywhere in the country(With the exception being Yamaha 350 engines). However Inboard/Outboards and Inboards need to be winterized anywhere that it freezes.
I could be wrong, but it doesn’t sound like Matuski is looking at outboards. 

I winterized my moomba because it seemed simple enough.  I missed one of the drain plugs, next spring I paid $4500 to replace the engine.  Ahhhh memories.

matuski said:
Being locked up?  Maybe the factories had to shut down and supply is scarce?

I believe it is the former, these guys are saying how the business has never been better.  Which leads to another point of suckage... you will pay MSRP, or apparently more for the most desirable boats.
This will change.  The boat guys have been booming for a while.  Be patient.  It will turn.

My goal is to make it 140 miles offshore on a 40k budget. My previous boat only had a 90 mile range which is one of the reasons I wanted to upgrade. I really want to fish for tuna and on the texas coast you really need to make it to the floating rigs.

I want a mid 90's to early 2000's boat that has a reputation for lasting a long time along with a huge fuel tank comparatively to fuel economy. For example the SL5 below has a 180 gallon tank and if I put twin suzuki 140's on it I should be around a 2.2 mpg cruise.  I am also do not care about power if the price is right. I will put on new engines.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1997-sea-cat-25-sl5-bluewater-cc-7325945/

The below link is why I do not mind buying a 15-20k seacat and dumping money into it. They sell at higher price in good shape for the same reason I am looking at them.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1994-sea-cat-sl5-center-console-7139038/

Another good example is the mckee 28, it has a 280 gallon tank and can get a 1.5-1.8 mpg cruise with the correct engines, although finding one of these for 40k, is tough.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2003-mckee-craft-freedom-28-cc-te-7400087/

There are about 5-6 other boats that I am looking at, but they all fit that same criteria. Cheap, reliable, and long range.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Drove to work this morning and saw a Moomba that had our 50 sq ft lake all to himself.  That looks like so much fun. 

Miles...covfefe hasn't kicked in yet.  
ahhh..  that's a big lake.   Yeah, I have Thursdays off and have an 800 acre lake about 3 min from my house and the boat is on a lift at the county marina.     There were only about 10 boat out yesterday afternoon on a 90 degree day with 82 degree water.    Got some great kneeboarding in and some tubing with my son.   A fabulous 4 hour afternoon.   I love my boat.   All the cliche's are true about them being costly, but it's some of the best money I spend.

ahhh..  that's a big lake.   Yeah, I have Thursdays off and have an 800 acre lake about 3 min from my house and the boat is on a lift at the county marina.     There were only about 10 boat out yesterday afternoon on a 90 degree day with 82 degree water.    Got some great kneeboarding in and some tubing with my son.   A fabulous 4 hour afternoon.   I love my boat.   All the cliche's are true about them being costly, but it's some of the best money I spend.
My dad is 72 and just moved to a house with a pool.  We used to beg him to put a pool at our house we grew up in.  He would just laugh and tell us that is ridiculous.   He fessed up the other day and said he wish he would have done this 30 years ago.  Thats my mindset on a  boat right now.  I have a 10, 7 and 5 year old and we live in a neighborhood with a marina.   The money scares me, but regretting not doing it scares me more.   I'm intimidated by the whole thing though.  I really hope my neighbor follows thru and shows me the ropes this summer.

What's considered a lot of hours for a boat?  I understand the benefits of buying new, but I just don;t have the means to drop $60k+.  It looks like you can come across 15-20 year old boats in the $25k range.  I certainly don;t want a money pit, but spending a bit to get it in shape doesn't scare me.   

My dad is 72 and just moved to a house with a pool.  We used to beg him to put a pool at our house we grew up in.  He would just laugh and tell us that is ridiculous.   He fessed up the other day and said he wish he would have done this 30 years ago.  Thats my mindset on a  boat right now.  I have a 10, 7 and 5 year old and we live in a neighborhood with a marina.   The money scares me, but regretting not doing it scares me more.   I'm intimidated by the whole thing though.  I really hope my neighbor follows thru and shows me the ropes this summer.

What's considered a lot of hours for a boat?  I understand the benefits of buying new, but I just don;t have the means to drop $60k+.  It looks like you can come across 15-20 year old boats in the $25k range.  I certainly don;t want a money pit, but spending a bit to get it in shape doesn't scare me.   
NO idea, i've never bought one.   My grandfather gave me his 1970 boat back in 2008.   All I've done is put a new outboard on and just use it.   No engine hours timer.

My next boat will be a new one and probably 70-80k..   I was planning to buy it this year, but then my income fell apart and I made some poor financial decisions and my net worth dropped 25% and now it's going to be 2022 before I can buy.

I think that, like with most things, what really matters is how well it was maintained.

I don't think that people really talk about number of hours on a boat. Generally it's number of hours on the engine that is referenced. Boats will go basically forever with proper storage, upkeep, etc. Engines will go over time as the hours increase.

High hours aren't necessarily a bad thing if it has been maintained properly. Low hour boats that have never had regular use are more likely to be problematic. If you go outboard, be sure to get a 4 stroke. Have the boat surveyed.

High hours aren't necessarily a bad thing if it has been maintained properly. Low hour boats that have never had regular use are more likely to be problematic. If you go outboard, be sure to get a 4 stroke. Have the boat surveyed.
Newer optimax's and lower horsepower, newer g1 etecs are 2 stroke, but most people would not know that. They are reliable, fuel efficient, quiet.

Mid 2000's Johnson's and Evinrude oceanpro's are reliable and cheap, however they are loud, guzzle fuel, and smokey. Depending on someone's budget I might strongly recommend these though. If all you want is a reliable boat for under 10k, they are one of the best options.

Also, since E-Tec's are no longer being made I expect their value to drop like a rock. I am fully aware of the problem's with the G2's however if the price was right I would consider rolling the dice.

Newer optimax's and lower horsepower, newer g1 etecs are 2 stroke, but most people would not know that. They are reliable, fuel efficient, quiet.

Mid 2000's Johnson's and Evinrude oceanpro's are reliable and cheap, however they are loud, guzzle fuel, and smokey. Depending on someone's budget I might strongly recommend these though. If all you want is a reliable boat for under 10k, they are one of the best options.

Also, since E-Tec's are no longer being made I expect their value to drop like a rock. I am fully aware of the problem's with the G2's however if the price was right I would consider rolling the dice.
Yeah, I don't get the sense that you are the average boater Joe though. You could add the OX66 to your list of good 2 strokes.  I do not trust ETEC's at all...not a lot around me have them but the ones that do have had issues.  Mostly computer.  And 4 strokes aren't perfect.  Even some of the Yamaha's have corrosion problems, but that's a story for another day.  In general, I think your average boater will be much happier with a 4 stroke.

Yeah, I don't get the sense that you are the average boater Joe though. You could add the OX66 to your list of good 2 strokes.  I do not trust ETEC's at all...not a lot around me have them but the ones that do have had issues.  Mostly computer.  And 4 strokes aren't perfect.  Even some of the Yamaha's have corrosion problems, but that's a story for another day.  In general, I think your average boater will be much happier with a 4 stroke.

I had twin 225 E-Tec's before. I had to throw 3000 a year at them to keep them running. However, anything 130 HP and below was a solid engine. The yamaha 225 and 250's did have some corrosion issues in the exhaust, the 300's can make oil, the 350's had numerous issues when they first came out and even the early 150 yamaha 4 strokes had the harmonic balancer issue.

The Ficht and the high HP E-Tec's do take the cake for number of problems though.

@jb1020

You could do something like the below, sell the engine for a thousand dollars. Take out all the wires/electronics, and have a new engine, fishfinder, bilge pump, etc installed and be under your 25,000 dollar budget with a highly reliable boat. Most prolines of that generation have a plastic fuel tank and no wood which are some of the more common hull issues in a 20 year old boat.

It would have solid resale for 2-3 years if you feel you do not like it. Recently repowered boats do pretty good on the used market. However starting 5-6 years the value will start to drop, but at that point you would have gotten enough use out of it.

https://gulfport.craigslist.org/boa/d/ocean-springs-2001-pro-line-boat-20ft/7130341865.html

I had twin 225 E-Tec's before. I had to throw 3000 a year at them to keep them running. However, anything 130 HP and below was a solid engine. The yamaha 225 and 250's did have some corrosion issues in the exhaust, the 300's can make oil, the 350's had numerous issues when they first came out and even the early 150 yamaha 4 strokes had the harmonic balancer issue.

The Ficht and the high HP E-Tec's do take the cake for number of problems though.

@jb1020

You could do something like the below, sell the engine for a thousand dollars. Take out all the wires/electronics, and have a new engine, fishfinder, bilge pump, etc installed and be under your 25,000 dollar budget with a highly reliable boat. Most prolines of that generation have a plastic fuel tank and no wood which are some of the more common hull issues in a 20 year old boat.

It would have solid resale for 2-3 years if you feel you do not like it. Recently repowered boats do pretty good on the used market. However starting 5-6 years the value will start to drop, but at that point you would have gotten enough use out of it.

https://gulfport.craigslist.org/boa/d/ocean-springs-2001-pro-line-boat-20ft/7130341865.html
Solid advice. 

In 2013, I bought a 2002 Glastron 185GX for $10k.  It's not one of these fancy high end boats being talked about in here thus far...no specialize equipment, towers, etc.., but it served our family well...tubing, skiing, kneeboarding, etc...  You can have a great experience for a reasonable initial cost.  But realize that all boats, new and old, are money pits...especially so if you are not mechanically inclined and do not have your own means of storage.  And cleaning them is the SUCK, IMO.  However, the enjoyment and family experience is worth it as long as you get use out of it.

You're really talking about engines and outdrives.   It also matters quite a bit if you're talking saltwater or fresh.   Saltwater is the devil.   I just bought a 2000 SeaRay Sundancer 290.   The engines will need some work at the end of this season, but after that just regular maintenance will keep everything running fine for another 10 years.

I've had a few boats and a few Waverunners.  Currently have a 22' saltwater bay boat (outboard) and a couple waverunners. I love the concept of the Yamaha jetboats, but don't assume they are good for shallow water.  Just like Waverunners, they will run in shallow water but if they get too close to silt/sand the water intake on the bottom of the boat sucks it up like a vacuum cleaner.  If the water were just used for propulsion, no big deal, but the Yamaha's also use that water for cooling the engine and it is not uncommon for the cooling orifices to get clogged and overheat the engine from running in shallow water for too long.

Also, as you have noticed the boat industry is in a major boom mode right now. It is a feast or famine industry and boat values swing wildly.  Now is not the time to buy new or used.  But, I am reasonably confident we are about to hit a major bust.  So be patient, watch the market over the next few months and prepare to be rewarded.
Interesting about the bust. My wife has us looking at lake houses as an alternative to the beach for retirement. Probably a 3-5 year time-frame, but this boom has me thinking it won't be a bad time to get a used boat when all of the folks getting caught up in this boom decide to sell after a few years. 

To be fair, I really can't speak to lake boats. I'm assuming they are the same but may be wrong. The nutso booming prices right now that I'm seeing are in the cc saltwater fishing boats. 2006-2012 most of the same companies either shuttered or ran skeleton crews. Boats sat in lots.

The market will cool. I've spent more time on a boat this year at this point than I ever have before just to get out of the house. People were forward thinking that this would be the only way to have any kind of "vacation" due to COVID. Look at pool sales, same situation. When hotels and resorts really open up the market should be flooded with lightly used boats that people got over their head in. JMO :shrug:

In for this.  Bought a house on a lake in October and have gutted/renovated it.  Dock, lift, and boathouse already built.  Now I just need the boat. 
That is just doing it wrong.  Now that you have a lake house the new way is to find a friend with a boat

We thought about a boat when are kids we're little, but waited until they were out of the house to get one.  Looking back, we would have been too busy with their activities to have used it much.  We bought a 19' deck boat last fall (2019 closeout).  We had all the kids and their significant others here for the weekend and had a great day tubing and wake boarding.  We do trailer it about 30 minutes to the lake, which I could see being a pain over time.  We may look into a slip at the marina next year.

Anyone bought a boat recently?  I keep looking just to get a feel for things, but don't plan on buying this year.  Its been said in here, and everyone I personally know says the same thing...its not a good year to buy a used boat.  

I came across a 2013 Moomba Mobius LSV listed at $42,500.  I thought it was reasonable, and it might be?   Listed as great condition and only 150 hours.   Just to get an idea of insurance I ran it thru a Geico online rating tool and it quoted a value of $25,000.  

Is that an indication of how crazy the used boat market is right now?   In a normal year is that a $25-$30k boat?  

I got my boat probably 10 years ago. It's a 16' Lund V-bottom fishing boat with a 40HP Johnson motor. Nothing special. Just a good solid fishing boat. Pretty much exactly this, but I don't have the steering wheel. Which works great for kids because I can take them fishing and that thing isn't in the way.  Was probably worth about $4000 back then. That is not what I paid.

Anyway, my grandfather owned a farm in the NW corner of Illinois. He had friends from all over the area, and the fall before I got the boat one of these guys shot some turkey's. They offered one to my grandfather, who accepted and put it in the freezer to use at a later time.

The following June our whole family meets at our normal Minnesota fishing resort for vacation, so my grandfather and grandmother throw that turkey in a cooler and bring it up, thinking it would be a good family meal that week. So on that Sunday, my grandmother is in her cabin starting to cook the turkey, and we hear this big scream. 

Everyone rushes in there thinking she fell or was having a heart attack or something. She points to the sink and staring out at her is a thawed out boars head.  :lol:   Apparently when these guys gave them the "turkey" it was this thing. She was supremely pissed for two reasons:

1. It scared the hell out of her

2. She didn't have anything to cook for her family

As a result of her being pissed, my grandfather was pissed too. This woman was the Queen of the family. 

Fast forward to August of that same summer, and we get a call from my grandfather asking if we were still looking for a boat. He had been storing one in his barn for a few years, and the guy who owned it passed away, and his son just wanted to sell it. We said sure, depending on the price. This was back before we had smart phones, so he was just describing this boat over the phone.  After a few phone calls, he calls back and says $650. 

I about creamed in my pants and said: "I'll be there next weekend to get it."  So the next weekend, me and my 4 year old son at the time drove 7 hours to Illinois to pick up this boat. 

And it was a NICE boat for $650. It was a nice boat for $4000.  I knew this was the deal of the century. So I asked my grandfather:

Me: How come the price was so cheap?

Him: Remember the boar's head from fish camp?

Me: Yeah.

Him: This was that hunter's boat. 

:lol:

Anyone bought a boat recently?  I keep looking just to get a feel for things, but don't plan on buying this year.  Its been said in here, and everyone I personally know says the same thing...its not a good year to buy a used boat.  

I came across a 2013 Moomba Mobius LSV listed at $42,500.  I thought it was reasonable, and it might be?   Listed as great condition and only 150 hours.   Just to get an idea of insurance I ran it thru a Geico online rating tool and it quoted a value of $25,000.  

Is that an indication of how crazy the used boat market is right now?   In a normal year is that a $25-$30k boat?  
This is pretty much the exact same boat situation as I had. In early 2016 I bought a 2010 Moomba Mobius LSV.  It had an upgraded stereo system with big speakers on the wakeboard tower. An added plus was that the prior owner had blown out the engine, so the engine on board was virtually new. I paid around $35k.  So my deal was a bit better, but the market in 2016 may have been totally different than it is now in 2020. Also important to note that the custom trailer we had built cost another $3,500, which gets us closer to $40k all in. Does yours come with a trailer?  Because those aren’t cheap. 

p.s.  We LOVE our Moomba.

• Love
Reactions: JAA
bigbottom said:
This is pretty much the exact same boat situation as I had. In early 2016 I bought a 2010 Moomba Mobius LSV.  It had an upgraded stereo system with big speakers on the wakeboard tower. An added plus was that the prior owner had blown out the engine, so the engine on board was virtually new. I paid around $35k.  So my deal was a bit better, but the market in 2016 may have been totally different than it is now in 2020. Also important to note that the custom trailer we had built cost another $3,500, which gets us closer to $40k all in. Does yours come with a trailer?  Because those aren’t cheap. 
Moomba Link.  I like everything about this one.  

Users who are viewing this thread