What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boats - a thread about them (1 Viewer)

@matuski Pro tip:  Don't forget to double check that your drain plug is in place each time before you launch!  Such a simple little thing, but it can easily be forgotten about.  I have seen a couple boats go down because of this.
I have watched the "walk through" video about 10 times... and while I have no idea where the drain plug goes, there is a nice spot to hang it up by the steering wheel so I don't forget.  :thumbup:

Boat is being delivered saturday, comes with a 4 hour lesson.  Hope that is enough.  :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
@matuski Pro tip:  Don't forget to double check that your drain plug is in place each time before you launch!  Such a simple little thing, but it can easily be forgotten about.  I have seen a couple boats go down because of this.
Or when you get tired of owning a boat, "forget" about the drain plug.

Greatest thing I've done.  

I'm happier on the water than anywhere else.  Not joy type of happy, just at peace/satisfied with life type of happy.

Not sure if I mentioned, but the extra 30 mins before and after getting the boat to and from garage will soon be gone.  Buddy building a dock/slip with covered lift now... :thumbup:

I'm happier on the water than anywhere else.  Not joy type of happy, just at peace/satisfied with life type of happy.

Not sure if I mentioned, but the extra 30 mins before and after getting the boat to and from garage will soon be gone.  Buddy building a dock/slip with covered lift now... :thumbup:
That is going to be huge for maximizing enjoyment. Congrats!

Seems like such a small thing, but this will enhance your experience even more.  It is great to have it waiting and ready for immediate use on a whim.  The lift will pay huge dividends in terms of not having to clean it as often.

Anyone here have a Heyday Boat?  The price for a new one makes it tempting.  
Buddy of mine has a WT Surf and loves it.

I went to check one out before I bought mine... a cool boat and the hot tub seats are fun.  8 year bow to stern warranty.

But they were asking 20k more than what my buddy paid last year ($78k).  At that price I dunno.

They have a very active facebook page... tons of info there.

@MTskibumYou buy it by any chance? Was going to send you the link and saw it already sold.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale-wanted/1101444-fs-2002-wellcraft-scarab-sport-32-a.html
I check that site out every day, but the boats that have looked interesting are too far away from me. 60,000 is above my budget right now too. You have to wonder why there are such low hours on a boat that old. It was ran 10 hours per year essentially. I would worry that someone that ran the boat that little did not bother to maintain it.

We rented a boat on Lake Medina on Sunday.  It was a 1999 beater of a deck boat but no matter.  I think I'm in luff with the lake life!

I check that site out every day, but the boats that have looked interesting are too far away from me. 60,000 is above my budget right now too. You have to wonder why there are such low hours on a boat that old. It was ran 10 hours per year essentially. I would worry that someone that ran the boat that little did not bother to maintain it.
Very true.  Best value in a CC I've seen in a while though.

Should be called WTF as in Where The F**k are you putting 17 people on that thing?  
We still don't plan on buying this year, but boat capacity is a hot topic in our house.  Wife wants one of these that can hold 17 people.  I reply with...Our house gets small if we have 10 people in it, why the hell do we need a boat that sits 18?!?!   It sounds awful.

I'm thinking at most it will be us 5 and another family.  So 4 adults and 5-6 kids.  That will be comfortable on a 12 seater right?  

We still don't plan on buying this year, but boat capacity is a hot topic in our house.  Wife wants one of these that can hold 17 people.  I reply with...Our house gets small if we have 10 people in it, why the hell do we need a boat that sits 18?!?!   It sounds awful.

I'm thinking at most it will be us 5 and another family.  So 4 adults and 5-6 kids.  That will be comfortable on a 12 seater right?  
Probably not. It would be doable, but uncomfortable. Even assuming you have 1-4 kids in the water it would be cramped on a 12 seater.

That photo below is of their 12 seater. I do not know where you can get 5-6 kids in there comfortably. Maybe for 1-2 hours of tubing it would be doable, but not for all day.  It is just a 22 foot boat.

https://imgur.com/a/yR6vzlI

We had 8 adults and 1 kid on our 21 ft boat.  Was perfectly comfortable.  

Supposed to seat 12... but beyond 8/9 it would be hella cramped.

When thinking about actual seating using the reported capacity numbers, envision 1 1/2 - 2 spaces per adult and 1 space per kid  12 seater?  I say 4 adults take up 8 of those spaces.  So I bet it comfortably handles 4 adults and 4 kids.  You're pushing it beyond that.  Much of it depends on the actual layout of the interior.  Keep in mind you need some room to move around too.  These Heyday have a lot of interior space occupied by the engine compartment from what I can see in the pictures.  I've never actually seen one.   And let's not forget space for the stuff...water toys, life jackets, towels, beverage cooler, shoes (everyone will take them off and leave them where they will trip you), etc...  Growing up, my dad had a 41' Chris Craft.  Although doable, I would not have wanted 18 people on that and it could sleep 6.

About to buy a boat. 

21 foot dual console. This is not the exact picture, but what is nice is the one I’m going to buy has a 2018 Evinrude E Tec 200hp with less than 200 hrs. I’m pretty pumped 

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uNwb9UkKSZ8/maxresdefault.jpg
Officially bought. Should get her christened officially in a. Few weeks, registration is a mess due to Covid and terrible local online forms. 

hopefully in 3 weeks...

I need a depth/fish/gps finder. Willing to spend to get the right one. Recommendations? 

Officially bought. Should get her christened officially in a. Few weeks, registration is a mess due to Covid and terrible local online forms. 

hopefully in 3 weeks...

I need a depth/fish/gps finder. Willing to spend to get the right one. Recommendations? 
What is your budget and how deep do you fish?

More specially:

this is my first boat. It will be for leisure / pleasure primarily and some fishing. The boat is docked on a river in Cape Cod so important I know depth at all times as the river is always changing. So things that are important for me, in order:

1. good and easy depth finding. Cannot risk hull / motor damage. 
2. easy to use gps maps. I don’t want to be on my phone, want simple and easy marine maps. 
3. nice clear way to read display. 7” minimum I think. 
4. fish finding would be nice! Would love to make catching stripers more predictable 

budget is < $1500, ideally less than $1k. Depth, might go 5 miles offshore from mass shore at most. 

I am throughly confused as to components. Seems most don’t come with a transducer. I am not even sure what that does. I want gps, I want depth finding, and I assume as part of depth finding I get fish finding. 

it will be all salt water, also 

hopefully in 3 weeks...

HNBD!

More specially:

this is my first boat. It will be for leisure / pleasure primarily and some fishing. The boat is docked on a river in Cape Cod so important I know depth at all times as the river is always changing. So things that are important for me, in order:

1. good and easy depth finding. Cannot risk hull / motor damage. 
2. easy to use gps maps. I don’t want to be on my phone, want simple and easy marine maps. 
3. nice clear way to read display. 7” minimum I think. 
4. fish finding would be nice! Would love to make catching stripers more predictable 

budget is < $1500, ideally less than $1k. Depth, might go 5 miles offshore from mass shore at most. 

I am throughly confused as to components. Seems most don’t come with a transducer. I am not even sure what that does. I want gps, I want depth finding, and I assume as part of depth finding I get fish finding. 

it will be all salt water, also 
I have a Garmin 93 SV Plus and Garmin 94 SV Plus mounted on mine, but I use heavily for fishing (two nine inch screens, one with inshore lake maps, the other with coastal maps).  They have recently been replaced with new models, but if you can find leftover stock on the 94 SV Plus (saltwater and coastal maps built in), I would highly recommend it.  I found mine at WestMarine for $699.  The newer models are $1149.  It will provide everything you are asking for and so much more.  It includes the transducer, which the transducer alone by itself is over $400 on Garmim website.  We've been in 1000 feet of water and 30 miles offshore, never an issue.  It's an awesome unit for the price.  They won't last long at this price (surprised they still have inventory).  Maps very accurate on shallow inshore depth as well.

I can't recommend this 9" built in mapping touchscreen WiFi unit any stronger.  It has helped my girl and I catch killer grouper and we just got it.  

I have a Garmin 93 SV Plus and Garmin 94 SV Plus mounted on mine, but I use heavily for fishing (two nine inch screens, one with inshore lake maps, the other with coastal maps).  They have recently been replaced with new models, but if you can find leftover stock on the 94 SV Plus (saltwater and coastal maps built in), I would highly recommend it.  I found mine at WestMarine for $699.  The newer models are $1149.  It will provide everything you are asking for and so much more.  It includes the transducer, which the transducer alone by itself is over $400 on Garmim website.  We've been in 1000 feet of water and 30 miles offshore, never an issue.  It's an awesome unit for the price.  They won't last long at this price (surprised they still have inventory).  Maps very accurate on shallow inshore depth as well.

I can't recommend this 9" built in mapping touchscreen WiFi unit any stronger.  It has helped my girl and I catch killer grouper and we just got it.  
Just bought it. Good looks! 

Just bought it. Good looks! 
You will love it.  Feel free to reach out if you are installing yourself, I can give you some recommendations.  Running the transducer is generally the biggest PITA, but otherwise not that bad.  I've owned at least 15 boats in my life, never without one.  It's a great unit.

this is my first boat. It will be for leisure / pleasure primarily and some fishing. The boat is docked on a river in Cape Cod so important I know depth at all times as the river is always
Don't get in the habit of relying on the electronics when you are in shallow water.  They don't look forward very well and with even a little speed it is very easy to outpace them. Learn to read the water and learn your local area, slowly. Water color, topwater turbulence, and wave patterns are your indicators. You will run aground.  Don't worry about it as long as they are just sandbars. Carry a pair of shrimp boots on board for when you have to get off and push if you have oyster beds.  Have passengers shift their weight to the bow to lift the stern, etc.

Or, get on plane and go like hell and hope to skim over the sand bars. (Kidding, this is some terrible advice I was given early on. Unless you like to replace lower units).

• Love
Reactions: JAA
Expensive boat noob mistake.  Drove a few miles with biminy up.  Prob reached 65 mph.  I could see I screwed up.

Dealer: "I've never seen one bent like this."  :lmao:

He is going to put in a warranty submission, told me about 0% chance it is approved.  :cry:  

• Sad
Reactions: JAA
Expensive boat noob mistake.  Drove a few miles with biminy up.  Prob reached 65 mph.  I could see I screwed up.

He is going to put in a warranty submission, told me about 0% chance it is approved.  :cry:  
New boat owner here..I have made a couple of these mistakes also...

Just don't make the "forgot the plug" or "hey that's not the gas hole" mistake.  Those are really expensive.

matuski said:

:lol:   I'm not laughing at you.  I'm laughing near you.  You are now officially a boat owner.  

matuski said:
what other hole would you possibly put gas in?  drains?
Freshwater washdown tank. On boats that have them they usually put them on the opposite side of the boat from where the fuel fill is but they use caps that look similar to the fuel caps.  Except one says "fuel" and the other says "water".

It happens with gunwale gas holes as well.  I once watched a guy pump a couple gallons into a rod holder at the Wawa.

Honestly, it’s one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. A ton of fun and a lot of great memories. As my son goes off to college in the fall though, it’s not going to get used as much, so not sure if we’ll keep it long term. 
When you think of selling it id like a PM

Users who are viewing this thread