What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Body shamming people who don't work out while you try and look like the guy/gal on the fitness magazines (1 Viewer)

I want to add as well that the idea that is too expensive to eat healthy is nonsense. Yes, some healthy foods can be not cheap, but fast food and crap like that isn't exactly cheap these days either. If you do enough digging and shopping around, you can find plenty of good prices on healthier foods. Thinking otherwise is just another excuse some make to not be healthy, and I say that as someone who eats a lot of crap, but is fortunate to stay around 190-195 lbs (at 5'11").

I agree with this. Unfortunately like I said above some might not have that time to do that research. Some might not have that sort of thing handy to them either. And yes Fast food isn't as cheap as it use to be. If I'm in a rush at work just for lunch real quick I'll get McDonalds from across the street. It's like almost $12 now and I swear the sandwiches got smaller.

Another problem is the healthy stuff like you said you have to do some digging and not easily accessible. Make It more accessible.

I want to add as well that the idea that is too expensive to eat healthy is nonsense. Yes, some healthy foods can be not cheap, but fast food and crap like that isn't exactly cheap these days either. If you do enough digging and shopping around, you can find plenty of good prices on healthier foods. Thinking otherwise is just another excuse some make to not be healthy, and I say that as someone who eats a lot of crap, but is fortunate to stay around 190-195 lbs (at 5'11").
I eat fairly healthy - it’s really not that much more expensive (if at all). Fruits and vegetables are not expensive generally (heck I can buy 4-5 bananas for under $1) and a lot of the processed junk is not cheap either.

I'd love to know where you shop at. I work in produce at my local store and a lot of stuff isn't cheap. They raised banana prices by .15 last week.

I think it's more these people are more insecure and trying to deflect it on others
Nailed it. I don't think it's so much shaming others as it is part of the whole "look at me" mentality of Facebook, et al. Which I guess is part of the insecurity.
That’s it imo. Few people even think about others when they’re posting about their activities, except to want “likes”.

My Aunt and Uncle my Mom's oldest brother are guilty of this. Lets just say my Uncle is very well off. Lives in Upper PA North of Philly in a county called Bucks. A lot of the more well off people who travel to the city for work live there. About 45 min train ride from the local depending where in the city but usually Center City. My Aunt is always posting pics of vacations and going out to eat constantly. Meanwhile my one aunt and Uncle are struggle and see that on Facebook. I know at times it effects them too.

I have 2 friends in that category too who post like that. A few of us have said something to both in the past but they get overly defensive and start trying to put you down. The one barely worked for what he has. Parents paid for his entire college so no student loan debt and got a job with a company from his dad's friend and moved up quick do to the nepotism.
Played some of my best baseball there. Also, Curly's in Levittown has killer cheesesteaks.

They live in a town called Newton PA. Some unfortunately got the town confused with the school shooting in Newtown Conn after that happened. The two main HS are Council Rock North and South. My Cousin played for the original Council Rock but the district got so big they had to make 2 different HS.
Council Rock was the fancy high school when I was growing up in far NE Philly

I eat fairly healthy - it’s really not that much more expensive (if at all). Fruits and vegetables are not expensive generally (heck I can buy 4-5 bananas for under $1) and a lot of the processed junk is not cheap either.

I'd love to know where you shop at. I work in produce at my local store and a lot of stuff isn't cheap. They raised banana prices by .15 last week.
Wegman’s - .49 a pound.

Last edited:
I think it's more these people are more insecure and trying to deflect it on others
Nailed it. I don't think it's so much shaming others as it is part of the whole "look at me" mentality of Facebook, et al. Which I guess is part of the insecurity.
That’s it imo. Few people even think about others when they’re posting about their activities, except to want “likes”.

My Aunt and Uncle my Mom's oldest brother are guilty of this. Lets just say my Uncle is very well off. Lives in Upper PA North of Philly in a county called Bucks. A lot of the more well off people who travel to the city for work live there. About 45 min train ride from the local depending where in the city but usually Center City. My Aunt is always posting pics of vacations and going out to eat constantly. Meanwhile my one aunt and Uncle are struggle and see that on Facebook. I know at times it effects them too.

I have 2 friends in that category too who post like that. A few of us have said something to both in the past but they get overly defensive and start trying to put you down. The one barely worked for what he has. Parents paid for his entire college so no student loan debt and got a job with a company from his dad's friend and moved up quick do to the nepotism.
Played some of my best baseball there. Also, Curly's in Levittown has killer cheesesteaks.

They live in a town called Newton PA. Some unfortunately got the town confused with the school shooting in Newtown Conn after that happened. The two main HS are Council Rock North and South. My Cousin played for the original Council Rock but the district got so big they had to make 2 different HS.
My best friend lives in Richboro and his kids are currently at Council Rock. Definitely a nice school.

I fully realize I’m not going to change your mind, but not one person in this thread has agreed with you. That should say everything you need to know

I think that just shows the age gap difference here. I'm almost a decade or more younger then most here. Different mind set. All this thread has shown me is a lot of people maybe are just ignorant to todays surroundings and world. Different generations different views here. My generation is more accommodating to these issues, sharing feelings, accepting etc. My guess here is a few people in this thread are defensive about this because they are guilty of doing it themselves and trying come up with a reason why this is acceptable.

And trust me I'm not calling anyone personally out here since I don't know everyones life here outside of this generation is soft. People can’t even post photos of them going out to eat or their vacations without offending your generation. It’s beyond
Ah, the old, it’s not me it’s all of you. Please quit trying to say people are guilty of something. Going on vacations and out to eat is not a negative.
This is a big part of why people call your generation “soft”. It hurts peoples feelings so much that others are enjoying their lives? I just don’t understand it and hope I never will. Other people’s income or money decisions have zero impact on my life.
Victim mentality.

I agree it's not however some people just don't have the time for it.

I'm fit but (very very) far from some muscle bound dude - I spend 30 minutes in the morning doing 3 sets of pushups and 3 sets of crunches and I walk a lot (having a dog helps with that).

People drive a half a mile to go to a convience store or a restaurant/bar - take a slow walk over instead.

There's very few people that don't have time (that's just an excuse) unless they spend zero time watching TV, surfing the internet, etc.

Not enough time between work and kids
The people who "don't have time" to exercise are the same people who "can't afford" to save for retirement (or pay off their student loans) but go out to eat all the time, have brand new iPhones, etc., etc.

Do it or don't do it, that's up to you. But saying that you "don't have time" is a cop out.

Ah thats the mentality I was speaking of. Things are more expensive now. Most of the people I see saying these things aren't getting fancy iPhones etc but hey thanks for stereotyping whole generation as being lazy. I guess we should lace up those bootstraps and go find better jobs etc right......

Probably aren't going to be able to reach those bootstraps being so fat.

Tough issue. I don't want to see peoples feelings hurt to the point of depression, etc. On the other hand as someone who has the measureables of an NFL lineman right now, it's not healthy. Your kids and family most likely want your around. Is it shaming when your doctor tells you to lose weight or die young?

Completely different thats your dr. There's a way to tell people to help them. I've noticed some either don't know how to talk and think they are helping but aren't at all. Then you just got the person who's bragging and just looking down on you telling this because they are an ignorant selfish person

However people are falling In depressions of because of things said online. Its a form of internet bullying. Say I start calling someone online fat ugly and lazy and you should work out. Be a man etc etc. Say they are in a depression and end up committing suicide. If someone sees my comments online to them I'm responsible and could be charged with online bullying that led to someone killing themselves. There was a case a year or so on this about some supposed friends of a guy picking on him. Hegot depressed and committed suicide. Judge ruled it was online bullying. The Girlfriend was the biggest culprit because she made comments about how he should kill himself. They are all in jail now.

Japan has a law against online bullying. It's up to 1 yrs in prison and I think a big fine as well. And they take it pretty dam seriously too.

I'm willing to wager that there are more people with health issues and dying from being overweight and than from people saying "do you even lift bro" and posting post workout pics. There's a big difference between telling someone to kill themselves and to pass on that 2nd 1/4 pounder with cheese.

Our primary

I'd guess since they're not advertised bananas are $0.49, cucumbers are $0.50, and broccoli/cauliflower are $1.49. Berry and peach seasons may be over though.

It’s a complete and utter myth that you can’t eat healthy without spending a lot of money.

I buy one cucumber, a container of cherry tomatoes, a small tub of humus and a dozen eggs, and a can of black beans, which totals well under $20 and that’s my lunch for the week, a plate of two hard boiled eggs (sometimes black beans instead) sliced cucumbers, a handful of cherry tomatoes and a scoop of humus. I drizzle some olive oil over the cucumbers and add salt and pepper.

Meanwhile a lunch at McDonalds with cost you $10-12 to poison yourself.

I’m not trying to shame anyone by saying this and I realize that some people have serious issues dropping weight for many reasons but most heavy people are full of excuses (no time to exercise, costs too much to eat healthy….) instead of admitting that they’re just either lazy or not interested enough in getting fit.

I fully realize I’m not going to change your mind, but not one person in this thread has agreed with you. That should say everything you need to know

I think that just shows the age gap difference here. I'm almost a decade or more younger then most here. Different mind set. All this thread has shown me is a lot of people maybe are just ignorant to todays surroundings and world. Different generations different views here. My generation is more accommodating to these issues, sharing feelings, accepting etc. My guess here is a few people in this thread are defensive about this because they are guilty of doing it themselves and trying come up with a reason why this is acceptable.

And trust me I'm not calling anyone personally out here since I don't know everyones life here outside of this generation is soft. People can’t even post photos of them going out to eat or their vacations without offending your generation. It’s beyond
Ah, the old, it’s not me it’s all of you. Please quit trying to say people are guilty of something. Going on vacations and out to eat is not a negative.
This is a big part of why people call your generation “soft”. It hurts peoples feelings so much that others are enjoying their lives? I just don’t understand it and hope I never will. Other people’s income or money decisions have zero impact on my life.
Victim mentality.

I really enjoyed this post!

“I’m almost a decade or more younger then most here. Different mind set. All this thread has shown me is a lot of people maybe are just ignorant to todays surroundings and world.”

An incredible post.

How old are you, Djax?

I try helping him work through some of this but he won’t acknowledge my posts when I do. Until he can take a look at himself and take ownership he will be stuck in time.

If it’s always everyone else…. It’s actually you.

I try helping him work through some of this but he won’t acknowledge my posts when I do. Until he can take a look at himself and take ownership he will be stuck in time.

Yes this was one of those threads where the OP is so convinced he’s right that instead of listening to the responses, he gets defensive instead of trying to understand another perspective. May as well be in the Political Forum.

Yes this was one of those threads where the OP is so convinced he’s right that instead of listening to the responses, he gets defensive instead of trying to understand another perspective. May as well be in the Political Forum.
That's all of his threads.

I buy one cucumber, a container of cherry tomatoes, a small tub of humus and a dozen eggs, and a can of black beans, which totals well under $20 and that’s my lunch for the week, a plate of two hard boiled eggs (sometimes black beans instead) sliced cucumbers, a handful of cherry tomatoes and a scoop of humus. I drizzle some olive oil over the cucumbers and add salt and pepper.
Meal planning is key here, it just takes some foresight and advance planning, which people can't be bothered to do.

I buy two of these salad kits per week, and I can get 2 lunches each out of them. Add in another 5-7 pieces of fruit for a snack. 1 day/week I'll eat leftovers of some sort, for the 5 day workweek. All-in, you're talking maybe $20, $25?

We have a really nice cafeteria in the building. The food looks pretty good, and many of my coworkers eat there on a daily basis. I'm sure eating a cheeseburger and fries every day tastes better than my salad and an apple, but it's also a lot more expensive and less healthy. It's just convenient, you don't need to think or plan - you just show up and the food is there.

Note that there are circumstances where people live in food deserts and do not have healthy options, do not have adequate transportation to get to a grocery store. Those are very real problems in 2022 America. But they're not problems for most people frequenting this board, as far as I'm aware.

It’s you old geezers with your TOXIC MASCULINITY. You have no idea how the world works today. ;)

Wegman’s - .49 a pound.

Not many in my area Giant and AcmE rule the roost followed by Trader Joe's and Costco.

My best friend lives in Richboro and his kids are currently at Council Rock. Definitely a nice school.
Theres two council Rocks so they either go to north or south. They are nice schools. The town is fairly well off.

Victim mentality.

Nah your generation is just upset they are finally being held accountable for all their ******** and excuses for ignorance, arrogance and non self awareness. Your generation wants to keep Women out of high power jobs and men the leader of the house. Women cook and cleans. it upsets a lot of your generation women have more power and misogynistic men are now being held accountable for their actions. Also your generations destroyed the housing market which one of the reasons my generation can barely afford housing.

Your generation also live-in a time where most jobs you could afford a house a car maybe 2 if lucky and raise your kids without issue. Do to inflation over the years and big business getting stronger plus unions losing power the rich guy is getting richer and the employee is getting screwed. The good thing though my generation has stopped signing up for poor paying jobs where employers treat us terrible and thats why they think "my generation doesn't want to work" No we want to work, just not for assholes who pay very little and disrespect you.

I agree it's not however some people just don't have the time for it.

I'm fit but (very very) far from some muscle bound dude - I spend 30 minutes in the morning doing 3 sets of pushups and 3 sets of crunches and I walk a lot (having a dog helps with that).

People drive a half a mile to go to a convience store or a restaurant/bar - take a slow walk over instead.

There's very few people that don't have time (that's just an excuse) unless they spend zero time watching TV, surfing the internet, etc.

There's people in my generation who have zero time to spend online or surfing internet etc. My one coworker works 2 jobs and does 1 overnight. Maybe has 1 off day every 3 weeks given they are always working. Has a wife and kid.

Another friend is a teacher. She has too do her license plans etc. Gets to school at 7 sometimes doesn't get home till after 5 with traffic. Then has kids where they are at practice for stuff. Husband helps where he can but because of his job he's not getting home till almost 7 at night.

People all have different circumstances. The issue here is there's a lot of assumptions of people having this or that to do or making stereotypes.

Victim mentality.

Nah your generation is just upset they are finally being held accountable for all their ******** and excuses for ignorance, arrogance and non self awareness. Your generation wants to keep Women out of high power jobs and men the leader of the house. Women cook and cleans. it upsets a lot of your generation women have more power and misogynistic men are now being held accountable for their actions. Also your generations destroyed the housing market which one of the reasons my generation can barely afford housing.

Your generation also live-in a time where most jobs you could afford a house a car maybe 2 if lucky and raise your kids without issue. Do to inflation over the years and big business getting stronger plus unions losing power the rich guy is getting richer and the employee is getting screwed. The good thing though my generation has stopped signing up for poor paying jobs where employers treat us terrible and thats why they think "my generation doesn't want to work" No we want to work, just not for assholes who pay very little and disrespect you.
Your first paragraph is 100% bull****

Our primary

I'd guess since they're not advertised bananas are $0.49, cucumbers are $0.50, and broccoli/cauliflower are $1.49. Berry and peach seasons may be over though.

It’s a complete and utter myth that you can’t eat healthy without spending a lot of money.

I’m not trying to shame anyone by saying this and I realize that some people have serious issues dropping weight for many reasons but most heavy people are full of excuses (no time to exercise, costs too much to eat healthy….) instead of admitting that they’re just either lazy or not interested enough in getting fit.

I'm not talking about those people though. It seems thats the people most here want to refer too. I'm actually talking about people having issues loosing weight for whatever health issues or other circumstances out of their control. I work a ton probably full time for part time pay but thats only because I have to. I very rarely have time to do a lot of stuff. I'm exhausted most days/nights coming from work. Working in a retail job where your hours always change, dealing with customers and bosses etc all day. Most days I have zero will to do any of the PT exercises I have to do for a weak hip and another issue.

This goes back to another issue. People are just too overworked, not paid nearly enough etc. I know most on here don't have to live paycheck to paycheck but I know many people who do. I guess it's a until you experience it you just don't know.

Victim mentality.

Your first paragraph is 100% bull****
You weren't born before 1950?

“I’m almost a decade or more younger then most here. Different mind set. All this thread has shown me is a lot of people maybe are just ignorant to todays surroundings and world.”

An incredible post.

How old are you, Djax?

I'm 34. I'm part of the generation prior to the millennium. Trust me I deal with a lot of different people from different generations working in a big name brand company grocery store. I've worked with different generations and have many different customers. I've gotten a long with plenty of different generations, races, creeds, religions, political views, etc. I have a lot of different friends and even joined a soccer supporters club in my area for Milan that has numerious different people young and old.

I think I get a long with a lot of people as long as they are respectful. I'll call people out when I think they need to be called out though and have zero issue with that.

Note that there are circumstances where people live in food deserts and do not have healthy options, do not have adequate transportation to get to a grocery store. Those are very real problems in 2022 America. But they're not problems for most people frequenting this board, as far as I'm aware.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head here. Most on here haven't experienced the issues myself and others go through. I don't drive so I don't have adequate transportation to get to a gym nor go to say trader Joes that is 15 mins away Public transit is 1hr 4 mins. Uber/lyft would cost me as much as my food bill. Gym rates are just expensive and after dealing with people all day the last thing I want to do is be around more people working out.

I have people I work with that are lucky to get adequate transportation for work. You also have people working 2-3 jobs out there to make a living. Most of this board don't even frequent these problems on here. Thats not calling anyone out here though. It's another unless you lived through it or see it often enough you really can't understand it. Most here have comfortable jobs where they probably have a decent amount of savings and aren't wondering where their next meal is coming from or providing for their kids. Most can afford to travel on a vacation maybe to Disney world, frequent a sporting event, concerts etc.

Unfortunately because of this I see the excuses of people don't want to work, my generation is soft etc. Unless you experience it you probably don't know. I have a few black friends for example who talked about being treated differently. I never really understood it until we were out of college and just hanging out. I noticed how Cops treated them during a routine traffic stop, just us walking at night in the neighorhood etc. I finally understood experiencing it what they went through. Unfortunately because of this they both moved as far away from the area as possible. Just because you don't see it or experience it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Our primary

I'm not talking about those people though. It seems thats the people most here want to refer too. I'm actually talking about people having issues loosing weight for whatever health issues or other circumstances out of their control. I work a ton probably full time for part time pay but thats only because I have to. I very rarely have time to do a lot of stuff. I'm exhausted most days/nights coming from work. Working in a retail job where your hours always change, dealing with customers and bosses etc all day. Most days I have zero will to do any of the PT exercises I have to do for a weak hip and another issue.

This goes back to another issue. People are just too overworked, not paid nearly enough etc. I know most on here don't have to live paycheck to paycheck but I know many people who do. I guess it's a until you experience it you just don't know.

I should also mention which is incredible important a lot more people are aware to mental health and their own mental health overall. Can't take care of yourself physically if you aren't able to help yourself mentally first. A lot of people need help mentally first before physically and unfortunately there's still a lot of negativity shown towards this. Especially in sports and other things where you need to show masculine traits. This is especially true for Football players MMA and Hockey. Some are very embarrassed to admit this. Once people become more accepting of these things it will help make this easier.

I have a serious question for DJack.

I'd say the majority of this board is 45-55....

Do you think all of us were just born into awesomeness? You are doing exactly the same thing that you are accusing all these older people are doing. You assume since we now have good jobs and live in suburbia that we all had it easy. Well maybe you shouldn't judge everyone based on your experiences. Did some people come from better situations, absolutely but you also have people on here who barely got by, put themselves through school while working 2 jobs and have become successful. Some didn't go to school and busted their assess to be successful

I worked a second job making 3.50 hr to get by during school

Last edited:
Can I just say I'm 30 and I don't consider this ******** to be part of my generation. FWIW.

My generation are the people who retire at 40 on $40k/year because we learn how to manage expenses and do things ourselves with the magical powers of the internet. Mine is the one when I was 17 and we had to change a belt of some sort on my car and my dad blocked off the whole afternoon, we walked outside, I looked up the car make model and part replacement on Youtube, we watched it for 5 minutes, then we did it in 5 minutes, then he said "Well that was less frustrating than it was with my dad."

And there are plenty of us (like me) who think this thread is a hilariously blind point where people unwilling to help themselves complain about how the world keeps them down or how they feel bad. Ugh.

I obviously understand that socioeconomic factors can play a large role in making it more difficult to eat well and maintain a healthy lifestyle. I don't discount those factors. But I've never lived in a food desert or faced any serious economic uncertainty and I've still struggled with making good choices my entire life. And I do think that there are factors that make implementing the proper changes and behavior harder for me (and perhaps for djackson) than it might be for others.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that I "have a slow metabolism" or that I'm some weird exception to the law of thermal dynamics where I won't lose weight in a calorie deficit. But I think that neuro-diversity probably plays a much bigger role than most people believe. I have pretty severe ADHD. Because I was never hyperactive and because I was a smart kid who did well on tests, it was never diagnosed when I was younger. It wasn't until I was in my 30's and already kind of an underachiever when I was first diagnosed. And as I've gotten older, I"ve begun to realize the ways in which this has affected my life beyond just me struggling to be as successful in my career as I would have liked. And weight-loss and exercise are one of those facets.

People in this thread have mentioned lots of common-sense habits that can make eating healthier easier. Meal planning and prepping. Food budgeting. All of that is excellent advice that I have tried and failed to implement dozens of times. Because it's not something that comes naturally to me. I'm not even sure I can describe how the emotional effort of sitting down and figuring out exactly how my family and I are going to eat for a full seven days in advance feels to me to someone whose mind isn't wired like mine. I imagine some of you probably can't even imagine how that would seem hard.

Similarly, it's hard for me to describe how I can know intellectually that I just feel better during the day if I get some exercise in (even if it's just a nice brisk walk), yet still struggle to make myself do that regularly unless I build some type of accountability into the process (such as having coaches or personal trainers or Fitbit buddies or whatever). ADHD is a deficiency in executive function, including the ability to properly account for delayed gratification.

To the outside eye, I just look lazy. And in truth, I'm not sure it's fair to say to people who are wired like me "you're not lazy, you just have ADHD." Because if you take just the descriptive aspects of the word "lazy" it describes my behavior pretty well. It's really more that laziness is a pejorative description of ADHD.

So this has been a particularly self-centered post, but the point I'm trying to make is that I think in some ways both sides here are right. People like me and possibly djackson are probably going to struggle more. And we're going to complain about barriers to our fitness that healthy people in the thread will quite rightly point out that we can overcome if we care enough or work hard enough. We're going to sound self-defeating. But there's kind of a middle ground that recognizes that's it easier to meet those challenges with the help and encouragement of others. And that's something the board actually does pretty well in the Otis Diet and Fitness thread the running threads and other places.

I have a serious question for DJack.

I'd say the majority of this board is 45-55....

Do you think all of us were just born into awesomeness? You are doing exactly the same thing that you are accusing all these older people are doing. You assume since we now have good jobs and live in suburbia that we all had it easy. Well maybe you shouldn't judge everyone based on your experiences. Did some people come from better situations, absolutely but you also have people on here who barely got by, put themselves through school while working 2 jobs and have become successful. Some didn't go to school and busted their assess to be successful

I worked a second job making 3.50 hr to get by during school

As I've stated in the politics forum, I grew up in a single parent household close to the poverty line. Mother worked two jobs to pay the bills. I worked jobs in high school to buy my own clothes and even food sometimes.

I have very little empathy for laziness. When I see overweight people, my first thought is, "most likely a you problem." I am aware people have physical ailments/mental health issues etc...I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about people that look for excuses to blame their shortcomings on. Don't be one of those people and you'll be a lot happier and probably healthier.

I obviously understand that socioeconomic factors can play a large role in making it more difficult to eat well and maintain a healthy lifestyle. I don't discount those factors. But I've never lived in a food desert or faced any serious economic uncertainty and I've still struggled with making good choices my entire life. And I do think that there are factors that make implementing the proper changes and behavior harder for me (and perhaps for djackson) than it might be for others.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that I "have a slow metabolism" or that I'm some weird exception to the law of thermal dynamics where I won't lose weight in a calorie deficit. But I think that neuro-diversity probably plays a much bigger role than most people believe. I have pretty severe ADHD. Because I was never hyperactive and because I was a smart kid who did well on tests, it was never diagnosed when I was younger. It wasn't until I was in my 30's and already kind of an underachiever when I was first diagnosed. And as I've gotten older, I"ve begun to realize the ways in which this has affected my life beyond just me struggling to be as successful in my career as I would have liked. And weight-loss and exercise are one of those facets.

People in this thread have mentioned lots of common-sense habits that can make eating healthier easier. Meal planning and prepping. Food budgeting. All of that is excellent advice that I have tried and failed to implement dozens of times. Because it's not something that comes naturally to me. I'm not even sure I can describe how the emotional effort of sitting down and figuring out exactly how my family and I are going to eat for a full seven days in advance feels to me to someone whose mind isn't wired like mine. I imagine some of you probably can't even imagine how that would seem hard.

Similarly, it's hard for me to describe how I can know intellectually that I just feel better during the day if I get some exercise in (even if it's just a nice brisk walk), yet still struggle to make myself do that regularly unless I build some type of accountability into the process (such as having coaches or personal trainers or Fitbit buddies or whatever). ADHD is a deficiency in executive function, including the ability to properly account for delayed gratification.

To the outside eye, I just look lazy. And in truth, I'm not sure it's fair to say to people who are wired like me "you're not lazy, you just have ADHD." Because if you take just the descriptive aspects of the word "lazy" it describes my behavior pretty well. It's really more that laziness is a pejorative description of ADHD.

So this has been a particularly self-centered post, but the point I'm trying to make is that I think in some ways both sides here are right. People like me and possibly djackson are probably going to struggle more. And we're going to complain about barriers to our fitness that healthy people in the thread will quite rightly point out that we can overcome if we care enough or work hard enough. We're going to sound self-defeating. But there's kind of a middle ground that recognizes that's it easier to meet those challenges with the help and encouragement of others. And that's something the board actually does pretty well in the Otis Diet and Fitness thread the running threads and other places.

This is a extremely good post.

A fascinating thing here, imo, is just how different ADHD can be for people. My experience with it is very similar to yours except when it comes to exercise. I developed the habit in college and almost 30 years later I genuinely feel like crap if I don’t get an hour in the morning and walk at night. Exercise has been my main coping mechanism. Your point about encouragement of others making a difference is spot on, which also includes self identification. If you’re a “person who exercises daily” that sense of self goes a long way. If you call yourself lazy, that also goes a long way.
My freshman is very much like this - smart kid with ADHD. He identifies himself as a funny guy (being the middle child probably has something to do with that) and has a real hard time turning that off. He’s also 14, and adhd has delayed his development. So we’re trying to help him work through that.
All that to say, ADHD definitely is a factor with weight and exercise, But one that can be overcome with time.

Users who are viewing this thread