What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brady Quinn on the roster bubble? (1 Viewer)

Cecil Lammey

Footballguy
Just talked about this on 9News Overtime tonight, and thought I would bring it up here for discussion.

If Tim Tebow proves that he's ready to be Kyle Orton's backup does that put Brady Quinn on the roster bubble?

Denver gave up next to nothing to trade for Quinn, and he looked bad in minicamp. He's not the QB of the future, and may not even be a capable backup.

Mike Holmgren knows QBs, yet examined Quinn and said 'no thanks.'

Tebow has rapidly improved his game from when I saw him at the Senior Bowl, and Josh McDaniels wants to use him as a subpackage QB this year. That would be difficult if Tebow is third-string because of the emergency QB rule in the NFL.

Quinn *may* get traded if he has a good preseason/training camp but the Broncos would get little in return for the former first-round pick.

I just keep thinking that you dont draft a qb in the first round for his clipboard holding skills. Tebow will start this year in at least 1 game. I dont care how "bad" he is or untested or not nfl ready, he will get a chance to throw sometime this season. As far as the actual topic, they prob need quinn enough to keep him around.

I think Quinn will stick around although I would almost like to see him cut and free to sign anywhere. In the right system, with some actual talent around him and a good HC I wouldn't be surprised if he could get back on track.

But I also feel in 2011 it's gonna be Tebow and Quinn in the 1-2 spots, and Kyle Orton will be elsewhere fortunately for him.

Just talked about this on 9News Overtime tonight, and thought I would bring it up here for discussion.

If Tim Tebow proves that he's ready to be Kyle Orton's backup does that put Brady Quinn on the roster bubble?

Denver gave up next to nothing to trade for Quinn, and he looked bad in minicamp. He's not the QB of the future, and may not even be a capable backup.

Tebow has rapidly improved his game from when I saw him at the Senior Bowl, and Josh McDaniels wants to use him as a subpackage QB this year. That would be difficult if Tebow is third-string because of the emergency QB rule in the NFL.

Quinn *may* get traded if he has a good preseason/training camp but the Broncos would get little in return for the former first-round pick.
Who are you and how did you get Cecil's password?

Why not just make Tebow 2nd string the days the gameplan calls for the subpackage and Quinn becomes the emergency QB

LOL, you know I'm not a believer in Tim Tebow but I must admit that he improved ever so slightly the three days down in Mobile with NFL coaching, and in minicamp he showed good touch.I'll be at Dove Valley every day covering training camp, and will certainly be watching Tebow with a close eye.

LOL, you know I'm not a believer in Tim Tebow but I must admit that he improved ever so slightly the three days down in Mobile with NFL coaching, and in minicamp he showed good touch.I'll be at Dove Valley every day covering training camp, and will certainly be watching Tebow with a close eye.
Thanks, Cec. That's one of the situations I'm most interested in this Summer. I'm a Tebow believer and I'll be surprised if he doesn't turn out well. Looking forward to your reports.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
What a shame. I thought this guy had a killer spirirt coming out of Notre Dame. He just hasn't shown he has what it takes to make a job his. He has the tools. It has to be a mental thing.

I haven't seen anything from Brady Quinn that makes me think he would even make a decent backup NFL QB.

I am willing to eat crow if he ever proves me wrong but I think I am going to be hungry for a long time.

He was overrated at Notre Dame (don't forget JaMarcus So Fat made him look silly in the Sugar Bowl their senior years), overrated as a pro prospect (his delivery looked a baseball windup), and is now pretty much where I thought he would be as a pro: struggling to make it as a backup.

He never had the tools. He just played on TV every Saturday cause it's Notre. Clausen will be the same deal.

obviously evidence that McDouche is in over his head. Why bring someone in to cut him later?

First he runs cutler out of town, then Marshall, then Quinn. This man's ego knows no bounds.

Just talked about this on 9News Overtime tonight, and thought I would bring it up here for discussion.If Tim Tebow proves that he's ready to be Kyle Orton's backup does that put Brady Quinn on the roster bubble?Denver gave up next to nothing to trade for Quinn, and he looked bad in minicamp. He's not the QB of the future, and may not even be a capable backup.Mike Holmgren knows QBs, yet examined Quinn and said 'no thanks.'Tebow has rapidly improved his game from when I saw him at the Senior Bowl, and Josh McDaniels wants to use him as a subpackage QB this year. That would be difficult if Tebow is third-string because of the emergency QB rule in the NFL. Quinn *may* get traded if he has a good preseason/training camp but the Broncos would get little in return for the former first-round pick.
Thanks for the info. The bottom line really is that Orton is easily the No. 1 unless he gets hurt. He will be the No. 1 unless he gets hurt until they feel Tebow is ready. Brady Quinn is and always has been a complete non factor although many thought he'd compete for the starting job. I don't think some people realize how accurate of a thrower Orton can be, he's better than most people think. Denver unfortunately lost a lot of offensive talent and he most likely will be the escapegoat in this situation. When they decide to ultimately bench Orton, I promise you that things will get worse before they get better because he's simply not that bad. What's wrong in Denver will be much more than the QB, but that's who will be blamed along with the coach.

What a shame. I thought this guy had a killer spirirt coming out of Notre Dame. He just hasn't shown he has what it takes to make a job his. He has the tools. It has to be a mental thing.
Not really. Quinn doesn't have much of an arm, and has issues with accuracy on the intermediate/deep passes.

would they have cut Brandstader if they weren't sold on Quinn on the roster?

With his contract only costing the Broncos 700K, I don't see how he doesn't make the roster even if it is as the #3

I think bringing him in was an insurance policy in case they didn't get Tebow. Now that they see what they've got (in Tebow), Quinn could be traded to another team as their backup for whatever - doesn't seem like it hurts Denver.

And if Orton gets hurt (I'm not even going to pretend that Tebow could be hurt :yes: ), Quinn steps in as the backup, knows the playbook and holds the clipboard.

would they have cut Brandstader if they weren't sold on Quinn on the roster?With his contract only costing the Broncos 700K, I don't see how he doesn't make the roster even if it is as the #3
:jawdrop: I can't recall any team that went into the season with only 2 QBs on the roster.

Quinn has no future with the Bronco's so I think he is tanking it trying to get cut to go to a team that has a need for a QB. Why waste a year holding clipboards waiting for Tebow to move into the starting spot.

Donnybrook said:
loose circuits said:
would they have cut Brandstader if they weren't sold on Quinn on the roster?With his contract only costing the Broncos 700K, I don't see how he doesn't make the roster even if it is as the #3
:lmao: I can't recall any team that went into the season with only 2 QBs on the roster.
I remember Denver doing that under Shanahan.

Really? He still gets this pass after his years at Seattle? I think just maybe we need to be giving credit to Ron Wolf and not Holmgren.

Quinn has no future with the Bronco's so I think he is tanking it trying to get cut to go to a team that has a need for a QB. Why waste a year holding clipboards waiting for Tebow to move into the starting spot.
If this was true, I'd add "not too bright" to his list of negative traits.Wouldn't he be better off showing what he's got, so that a team that "has a need for a QB" might actually be interested in acquiring him?

If this was true, I'd add "not too bright" to his list of negative traits.Wouldn't he be better off showing what he's got, so that a team that "has a need for a QB" might actually be interested in acquiring him?
I can't imagine any NFL player who has never established himself in the league tanking it to get cut.

They might have to keep Quinn. Tebow, like almost every other first-rounder, hasn't signed a contract yet and might not anytime soon. The NFL and NFLPA (with the help of agents) seem to be getting next year's battle started early.

Donnybrook said:
loose circuits said:
:( I can't recall any team that went into the season with only 2 QBs on the roster.
When you have an Elway or P. Manning, you can probably get away with it but for most other teams, they wouldn't think of risking it. Orton isn't exactly an Elway or Manning with his injury history so this would seem to be a rather risky proposition for the 2010 Broncos.

Just looking at NFL history.......how often do teams cut veteran QBs in favor of having a rookie as the sole backup quarterback? I can't remember a time when it ever happened.
Just make Quinn the emergency QB. Lots of teams do that.

Donnybrook said:
:thumbup: I can't recall any team that went into the season with only 2 QBs on the roster.
When you have an Elway or P. Manning, you can probably get away with it but for most other teams, they wouldn't think of risking it. Orton isn't exactly an Elway or Manning with his injury history so this would seem to be a rather risky proposition for the 2010 Broncos.
They did this when Plummer and, IIRC, Cutler were the starters.

Donnybrook said:
:unsure: I can't recall any team that went into the season with only 2 QBs on the roster.
They did this when Plummer and, IIRC, Cutler were the starters.
Denver has had at least 3 QBs every season since 1994.

I wasn't thinking practice squad, but you are right. They did roster 3 when practice squad rosters are taken into consideration. I was thinking of gameday actives. I remember Rod Smith being the emergency QBs many weeks under Shanahan.

t8knovr said:
I wasn't thinking practice squad, but you are right. They did roster 3 when practice squad rosters are taken into consideration. I was thinking of gameday actives. I remember Rod Smith being the emergency QBs many weeks under Shanahan.
Cecil any update on Tebow's contract situation?
From what I've heard Broncos are working 'feverishly' to get a deal done. First offer was rejected as they want a QB premium. Deal gets done no later than Saturday night IMHO.

Quinn showed up today with the rookies. Said he's gonna give Tebow some pads to carry. He's not gonna go quietly.

I don't want to get too anoraky, but there was at least 1 season (2005 I think) where the practice squad QB was cut in mid-season, meaning they only had 2 QBs for the remainder of the season.Also, Tebow is nuts if he thinks he's worth "quarterback money". The Broncos should reduce their offer to "special teams money" and Tebow should pray that he doesn't end up like Maurice Clarett.

Users who are viewing this thread