What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (3 Viewers)

Nobody disputes that Walter cares for, and feels responsible for Jesse. I'm fairly certain the show will end with Walter sacrificing himself so that Jesse can have a family. It's the type of symmetry that makes sense for me.

But that doesn't change the fact that we grant Walter license for behavior that is objectively far worse than many other characters. Partly because he's the lead. Partly because Cranston is hitting it out of the park. But it still doesn't explain the invective for characters like Skyler and Marie. Marie obviously loves Hank, just as Walt loves Jesse. But I don't see many defenses of Marie. Now, she's not the lead. And Betsey Brandt (although pretty good in the show, IMO) is not Bryan Cranston.

But it's still weird.

Nobody disputes that Walter cares for, and feels responsible for Jesse. I'm fairly certain the show will end with Walter sacrificing himself so that Jesse can have a family. It's the type of symmetry that makes sense for me.

But that doesn't change the fact that we grant Walter license for behavior that is objectively far worse than many other characters. Partly because he's the lead. Partly because Cranston is hitting it out of the park. But it still doesn't explain the invective for characters like Skyler and Marie. Marie obviously loves Hank, just as Walt loves Jesse. But I don't see many defenses of Marie. Now, she's not the lead. And Betsey Brandt (although pretty good in the show, IMO) is not Bryan Cranston.

But it's still weird.
My only issue with Marie is that they wasted some time on her storyline and she always wears purple. I'm not sure the klepto thing mattered at all and maybe there was a shorter way to establish that Marie and Hank weren't perfect, but that Hank loved her deeply and would do anything for her essentially.

Er, you left out that Walt poisoned that kid with the lily of the valley, which is a reprehensible and indefensible act.

However, in other summaries of the show I have read elsewhere, Gale is often referred to as the innocent of the show who was killed because of circumstances and that he didn't deserve it, but the last time I checked, cooking meth is illegal, so he was hardly an innocent character.
Gayle also understood what was going on when Gus was pushing to learn to do the cook himself ASAP.

But it's still weird.
My only issue with Marie is that they wasted some time on her storyline and she always wears purple. I'm not sure the klepto thing mattered at all and maybe there was a shorter way to establish that Marie and Hank weren't perfect, but that Hank loved her deeply and would do anything for her essentially.
Or maybe they just wanted to flesh out her character instead of having a caricature.

Er, you left out that Walt poisoned that kid with the lily of the valley, which is a reprehensible and indefensible act.

However, in other summaries of the show I have read elsewhere, Gale is often referred to as the innocent of the show who was killed because of circumstances and that he didn't deserve it, but the last time I checked, cooking meth is illegal, so he was hardly an innocent character.
Well, Skyler gave their money away, so instead of them having new identities, Gus was going to kill them. My wife and 2 kids vs anybody else, anybody else loses. I'm not saying it was "right" just that there are some actions of Walt's that are forced by circumstance. Was there a better plan to get Jesse into the fold? Maybe, but there wasn't much time.

I think Walt legitimately cares(d) for Jesse, especially in the earlier seasons. Letting Jane die may have served more than one purpose, but Walt got Jesse into rehab and felt guilt over her death, so I think the motivation was mostly for Jesse's benefit.
Oh. So you are a "the end justifies the means" kind of guy?
Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't.

Letting Jane die is probably the worst one. He just sits there and watches when he could have prevented it. I was just presenting the other side.

Brock is pretty repulsive obviously. But his entire family was threatened, and you have to believe that Walt knew the odds were that Brock would be fine. What do you do when you realize your actions threaten the lives of your wife, teenage son, and infant daughter? Whatever it takes, I presume. If Walt had the money, that scenario doesn't play out. Maybe worse things happen after they get away, but he doesn't poison Brock.
You are definitely a "the end justifies the means" kind of guy.

Gayle also understood what was going on when Gus was pushing to learn to do the cook himself ASAP.
Yep. Remember what Crazy 8 once said to Walt: "This life is not for you." The line applied to Gale.

There's a show on IFC called "The Writer's Room" where they get a show's writing staff (and the star) together and talk about the process of writing the show. The first episode is with The Breaking Bad staff.

Anyway, apparently Jane's death, and how culpable to make Walter for it, was something that was hotly debated. They had drafts where Walt just finds her dead and drafts where Walt administers an overdose. I agree with the writers that they struck the absolute perfect balance. You get the feeling that Walter is always THIS close to coming to his senses and helping her until it's too late. And Cranston's reaction (his mind apparently flashed on his daughter in the same circumstances) is incredibly affecting.

Anyway, the show is a bit too short, but not bad. It's hosted by Jim Rash, who plays Dean Pelton on Community and who also co-wrote The Descendants.

But it's still weird.
Or maybe they just wanted to flesh out her character instead of having a caricature.
Well, yea, but that doesn't mean people can't be bored by it. The Sopranos fleshed out Sil during the Columbus Day episode, but that doesn't mean I need to like how they did it.

I'm not even complaining about Marie.

My complaint with Skyler is that she never tried to understand where Walt was coming from or what drove him to do the things he did or why he hid things when he finally confessed. I expect a married couple to be more understanding, regardless of the actions taken. Then to just go bang your boss and so coldly tell him about it? The cheating is more damaging to their relationship, despite her honesty about it. Her character is supposed to be somewhat annoying with her controlling nature and how she emasculated Walt etc. I think those are emotions the writers want the audience to feel. They wrote her depression in season 5 so that there finally was sympathy for her.

My complaint with Skyler is that she never tried to understand where Walt was coming from or what drove him to do the things he did or why he hid things when he finally confessed. I expect a married couple to be more understanding, regardless of the actions taken.
You sound like a crazy person. Which, in some respects, is a testament to how good the show is.

Call me crazy too but I agree with Leeroy about Skyler. I have more issues with some of what Skyler has done than Walt. I don't think Walt is a great guy or anything (although he can be at times) but he's never gone out of his way to intentionally hurt Skyler the way she did to him.

Call me crazy too but I agree with Leeroy about Skyler. I have more issues with some of what Skyler has done than Walt. I don't think Walt is a great guy or anything (although he can be at times) but he's never gone out of his way to intentionally hurt Skyler the way she did to him.
:goodposting:

I agree.

But it's still weird.
Well, yea, but that doesn't mean people can't be bored by it. The Sopranos fleshed out Sil during the Columbus Day episode, but that doesn't mean I need to like how they did it.

My complaint with Skyler is that she never tried to understand where Walt was coming from or what drove him to do the things he did or why he hid things when he finally confessed. I expect a married couple to be more understanding, regardless of the actions taken. Then to just go bang your boss and so coldly tell him about it? The cheating is more damaging to their relationship, despite her honesty about it. Her character is supposed to be somewhat annoying with her controlling nature and how she emasculated Walt etc. I think those are emotions the writers want the audience to feel. They wrote her depression in season 5 so that there finally was sympathy for her.
She didn't bang her boss because Walt was making and selling meth and was lying to her and hiding it from her. She did it because he moved back in to the house against her wishes while she was still trying to figure out what the heck to do. It was a total power play move that made her look like a terrible person in front of her kid. Making Skyler look like a terrible person who wants to break up the family in front of their kid is, if not intentionally hurtful, just as bad. Walt even dared her to call the cops then put on a "good dad" routine when they showed up, knowing they couldn't kick him out of his own house without a restraining order. The whole episode was a game of chicken. She wasn't trying to be controlling and emasculate Walt, she was demonstrating that Walt didn't have ALL the cards. It totally made sense at the time.

(I rewatched parts of Season 3 over the weekend, including the I.F.T. episode).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you are gonna use the "If this and this and this never happened, Walt never would have done this..." routine on him, it works both ways. If Walt hadn't started selling meth, lied to his wife non-stop and then moved back in against her wishes and made life hell for her, she never would have cheated on him and told him about it.

She didn't bang her boss because Walt was making and selling meth and was lying to her and hiding it from her. She did it because he moved back in to the house against her wishes while she was still trying to figure out what the heck to do. It was a total power play move that made her look like a terrible person in front of her kid. Making Skyler look like a terrible person who wants to break up the family in front of their kid is, if not intentionally hurtful, just as bad. Walt even dared her to call the cops then put on a "good dad" routine when they showed up, knowing they couldn't kick him out of his own house without a restraining order. The whole episode was a game of chicken. She wasn't trying to be controlling and emasculate Walt, she was demonstrating that Walt didn't have ALL the cards. It totally made sense at the time.
Agreed. Remember that when Skylar left him and he admitted to making meth, she took the high road by saying she would not rat him out to Hank or his son, so long as he agreed to a divorce. Walt decided to be a #### and call her bluff, which is why she acted out by sleeping with Ted and then throwing it in Walt's face.

But it's still weird.

my wife would be TOTALLY understanding. ;)

But it's still weird.

If that were really true, she would have turned him in at some point and never helped him at all. And you are only considering it from Walt's point of view, which is logical, as he is the protagonist of the show (and a credit to the writing, as others have said). She has learned that her husband and the person she (thought she) knew is completely different and capable of what she considers unspeakable acts. Her world is blown apart. And then she basically just says, look, you do what you want, but I cannot tolerate this and I'm drawing a line in the sand. And Walt keeps crossing that line and she is pushed and pushed and doesn't know what to do. And maybe it is a little weak for her to have an affair, but I could totally understand any type of irrational behavior from her (or anyone in a similar situation) at that point.

I am going on a cruise starting Sunday, and wont get to watch the first episode. I am happy to be going, but pissed I have to wait another week to watch the first episode of the new season. So much anticipation.

Good Posting Judge said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:
My complaint with Skyler is that she never tried to understand where Walt was coming from or what drove him to do the things he did or why he hid things when he finally confessed. I expect a married couple to be more understanding, regardless of the actions taken.
You sound like a crazy person. Which, in some respects, is a testament to how good the show is.
If I become a drug lord, my wife has my back. It's been discussed. That's all I'm saying.

TobiasFunke said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:
Good Posting Judge said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:
Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

But it's still weird.

(I rewatched parts of Season 3 over the weekend, including the I.F.T. episode).
He was back for less than 24 hours and said he wanted to discuss things, and she leaves and bangs the guy. He goes into surgery and is all high on anesthesia and he says "which one" regarding the cell phone (which could have been taken as a joke even), and once he is able to take care of himself, she throws divorce at him without warning.

She gets more credit as the seasons progress and I end up feeling bad for her by season 5, but some of the hate for her is justified and some of Walt's actions are as well. That's all.

It's interesting about what some of you have written about rooting for Walt. I rooted for Walt, I think, through season 4- I was rooting for him to defeat Gus in the same way I rooted for Michael Corleone to defeat his enemies in the original Godfather.

But once Gus was dead, I found myself switching my allegiance to Mike. Walt became more and more unsympathetic. Now I'm rooting for Hank I think.

He was back for less than 24 hours and said he wanted to discuss things, and she leaves and bangs the guy. He goes into surgery and is all high on anesthesia and he says "which one" regarding the cell phone (which could have been taken as a joke even), and once he is able to take care of himself, she throws divorce at him without warning.

She gets more credit as the seasons progress and I end up feeling bad for her by season 5, but some of the hate for her is justified and some of Walt's actions are as well. That's all.
Really? No warning at all? Can't imagine why his wife could possibly have been uncertain about the marriage and considering the possibility of divorce for her sake and the sake of the kid at that stage of the story?

And I think you're WAY oversimplifying with "he was back from less than 24 hours and said he wanted to discuss things." He was clearly making a power play and intentionally making her look bad in front of their kid. If you missed that, IMO you missed the point of the episode/storyline. From that perspective I can understand why you think her cheating on him at that point was so terrible, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to come across that way.

Here's VInce Gilligan's take . . .

Man, I don’t see it that way at all. We’ve been at events and had all our actors up onstage, and people ask Anna Gunn, “Why is your character such a #####?” And with the risk of painting with too broad a brush, I think the people who have these issues with the wives being too #####y on Breaking Bad are misogynists, plain and simple. I like Skyler a little less now that she’s succumbed to Walt’s machinations, but in the early days she was the voice of morality on the show. She was the one telling him, “You can’t cook crystal meth.” She’s got a tough job being married to this #######. And this, by the way, is why I should avoid the Internet at all costs. People are griping about Skyler White being too much of a killjoy to her meth-cooking, murdering husband? She’s telling him not to be a murderer and a guy who cooks drugs for kids. How could you have a problem with that?

Really? No warning at all? Can't imagine why his wife could possibly have been uncertain about the marriage and considering the possibility of divorce for her sake and the sake of the kid at that stage of the story?

And I think you're WAY oversimplifying with "he was back from less than 24 hours and said he wanted to discuss things." He was clearly making a power play and intentionally making her look bad in front of their kid. If you missed that, IMO you missed the point of the episode/storyline. From that perspective I can understand why you think her cheating on him at that point was so terrible, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to come across that way.
At that point in time she hadn't confronted Walt about anything other than a second cell phone. I think it's fair to say Walt was shocked. They had just gotten home from the doctors.

Yes, that whole episode was a power-play, and I don't think Walt was going to leave or back down. So she was going to have to do SOMEthing. Still, she went and banged Ted pretty quickly without them ever having a real discussion about things. She could have just gone back to Hank and Marie's and filed for divorce. Note, that after they finally talked and Walt put everything on the table that that is when they started to get along again.

Man, I don’t see it that way at all. We’ve been at events and had all our actors up onstage, and people ask Anna Gunn, “Why is your character such a #####?” And with the risk of painting with too broad a brush, I think the people who have these issues with the wives being too #####y on Breaking Bad are misogynists, plain and simple. I like Skyler a little less now that she’s succumbed to Walt’s machinations, but in the early days she was the voice of morality on the show. She was the one telling him, “You can’t cook crystal meth.” She’s got a tough job being married to this #######. And this, by the way, is why I should avoid the Internet at all costs. People are griping about Skyler White being too much of a killjoy to her meth-cooking, murdering husband? She’s telling him not to be a murderer and a guy who cooks drugs for kids. How could you have a problem with that?
Oh well, I am a pig for thinking Skyler could have had some discussions and heard out her husband who clearly was making decisions outside the realm of his personality based on a life altering experience instead of surprising him that she was leaving and then banging her boss.

At that point in time she hadn't confronted Walt about anything other than a second cell phone. I think it's fair to say Walt was shocked. They had just gotten home from the doctors.

Yes, that whole episode was a power-play, and I don't think Walt was going to leave or back down. So she was going to have to do SOMEthing. Still, she went and banged Ted pretty quickly without them ever having a real discussion about things. She could have just gone back to Hank and Marie's and filed for divorce. Note, that after they finally talked and Walt put everything on the table that that is when they started to get along again.
I don't think that happens without her banging Ted. She couldn't have just filed for divorce, that was kind of the whole point of the power play- I think Saul even advised Walt to dare her to leave knowing she couldn't without losing everything, including permanently scarring both kids with the knowledge that their dad was a meth cook. She was painted into a corner by Walt. She fought out with the only thing she had left, his affection for her.

I really think the anti-hero thing keeps people from seeing how poorly Walt treated her. I don't think it's misogyny, I think it's the usual audience reaction to guys like Walt and Tony Soprano and Stringer Bell and so on.

Oh well, I am a pig for thinking Skyler could have had some discussions and heard out her husband who clearly was making decisions outside the realm of his personality based on a life altering experience instead of surprising him that she was leaving and then banging her boss.
Sounds like my gf is quite the misogynist too, evidently.

I'm a big Vince Gilligan fan dating back to his days on The X-Files but I'd love to ask him if Skyler was the voice of morality before or after she committed adultery.

I'm starting my rewatching of the first half of Season 5 tonight. I am pretty sure I have never been so excited for a television series as I am for the second half premiere this Sunday.

I am going on a cruise starting Sunday, and wont get to watch the first episode. I am happy to be going, but pissed I have to wait another week to watch the first episode of the new season. So much anticipation.
:(

Road trip with the wife and kids starts Saturday and we'll be back late the following Sunday. I'll be DVR'ing the first 2 episodes.

DOES WALT DIE DURING THE FINAL SEASON OF BREAKING BAD?

YES -400

NO +500
What are the odd on a Sopranosesque open ending?
If it was clear that Walt was GOING to die eventually via cancer, after the last episode, I'd say that is a no. If it's a cut-to-black type of thing where there's some sort of ambiguity involved (which I highly doubt), I think it'd have to be a No Action. Given that the Sopranos already went that route, I don't see that happening here.

DOES WALT DIE DURING THE FINAL SEASON OF BREAKING BAD?

YES -400

NO +500
Really tempted to throw a couple dimes on NO. What bookie is handling this bet?

I have a feeling Walt ends up as the King of the Ashes in the end: the sole survivor whose kingdom has become nothing. In fact, I see the final shot being Walt on his deathbed fully riddled with cancer.

packersfan said:
I'm a big Vince Gilligan fan dating back to his days on The X-Files but I'd love to ask him if Skyler was the voice of morality before or after she committed adultery.
Or Tax Fraud even earlier than that. Or money laundering setting up the entire car wash purchase and commiting fraud in order to get the old owner to sell. Or foolishing giving all of Walts money away to Ted and then extorting it back out of him to pay his taxes by hiring thugs that put him in a coma.

I think much of the hate for Skyler is due to a combination of rooting for the anti-hero like someone said but also because the writers turned Skyler into a huge hypocrit. I think I've read someone state it on a previous page a little more eloquently, but Skyler is quick to crucify Walt when he did something dumb or made a mistake but she acts like her #### dont stink when it comes to her mistakes.

It's interesting about what some of you have written about rooting for Walt. I rooted for Walt, I think, through season 4- I was rooting for him to defeat Gus in the same way I rooted for Michael Corleone to defeat his enemies in the original Godfather.

But once Gus was dead, I found myself switching my allegiance to Mike. Walt became more and more unsympathetic. Now I'm rooting for Hank I think.
I agree with you. I love the "I'm the one who knocks" speech for I think different reasons than others. I love it because Walt is NOT the one who knocks, he's kind of a bungling monkey who's lucked into much of his success. I am looking forward to see the fall of someone who's gotten a little too big for his britches with an ego the size of Texas...

Aaron Paul ‏@aaronpaul_4 days Bitch!!!! #BreakingBad
I've been rewatching over the last few days. Last night was "Sunset". Hank tracks down the RV at the junkyard with Walt and Jesse hiding inside. Junkyard guy gets all legal with Hank and Walt runs with it. Walt tells Jesse what to say to get Hank to back off.

Loved this line from Jesse "This my own private domicile, and I will not be harassed... itch!" The look Walt gives him after is priceless.

ETA LINK TO VID

packersfan said:
Or Tax Fraud even earlier than that. Or money laundering setting up the entire car wash purchase and commiting fraud in order to get the old owner to sell. Or foolishing giving all of Walts money away to Ted and then extorting it back out of him to pay his taxes by hiring thugs that put him in a coma.

I think much of the hate for Skyler is due to a combination of rooting for the anti-hero like someone said but also because the writers turned Skyler into a huge hypocrit. I think I've read someone state it on a previous page a little more eloquently, but Skyler is quick to crucify Walt when he did something dumb or made a mistake but she acts like her #### dont stink when it comes to her mistakes.
Yup. I'm really surprised by Gilligan's response (although it's not surprising he's defending a character he created). But Skyler is a pretty unlikeable character in a lot of ways. Has nothing to do with misogony and all about her being a hypocrite like you said.

packersfan said:
She makes him eat veggie bacon on his birthday. She isn't sympathetic or the voice of morality. She's been a controlling ##### from the beginning who helped push him over the edge.

Users who are viewing this thread