What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Broncos vs Patriots pregame chatter. Broncos 3.5pt favorites (2 Viewers)

Pats secondary still hasn't given up a pass of more than 40yds. Only team in the league that hasn't.

Also, could this be the week Talib gets hurt? Not wishing injury upon anyone, but considering his injury riddled past, he's due any time now.

Well I will add my .02. I think with the weather this could end up being a lower scoring game which IMO favors NE simply because Denver has a rookie, untested kicker.

I know it is an understatement, but the only player I worry about as a Bronco fan is Gronk. Denver needs to find a solution for him and I think that will be checking him at the line and allowing the pass rush to get to Brady. I haven't watched a ton of NE games, but what I have seen--seems to show Brady getting knocked down a lot. if that is the case, the Denver pass rush is going to make it a long day for him.

I can see Welker coming up big for Denver because, if the weather is nasty, the short pass game will be important and he will have a chip on his shoulder for this one.

All and all, I see another great game with Denver edging NE 28-20 with my "out there" prediction being Denver--not exactly trusting their kicker, going for it with the offense on a 4th down that ultimately results in a TD for Denver vs a missed FG attempt.

Time to get the food planned for this weekend!!

The Patriots have a really strange schedule in 2014. The Broncos game marks the start of a true gauntlet for the Patriots. Their next 5 games are against what look to be playoff teams.

Broncos

(bye)

@Colts

Lions

@Packers

@Chargers

This isn't just a big game for the Patriots. Its a big stretch of games.

I was looking back to see how the Patriots have handled such gauntlets and it never really happened before to them. They seem to always have easy AFC East games sprinkled in to break these up.

Evidence suggests that gauntlets like this tend to wear a team down. They start underperforming in the 2nd or 3rd game of a gauntlet. I think the Patriots will likely underperform @Colts and @Packers. But this is the first game of the Patriots' gauntlet and it seems often that the first game of a gauntlet is the best game a team plays.
conversely, this game marks the end of a really tough stretch for the Broncos.

Colts

Chiefs

@ Seahawks

Cardinals

@Jets

49ers

Chargers

@Patriots

thats 6 of 8 teams that were 10+ game winners last year, 6 of 8 that were playoff teams last year, and 7 of 8 that should be playoff contenders this year.
I hear what you are saying, but allow me to nitpick just a bit ;) Having 5 of 7 games at home to start the season with a bye mixed in is about as good as it gets. Contrast with NE who started with 3 of 4 and 4 of 6 on the road which is about as hard as it gets. I think the schedule helped Den get off to good start and contributed to NEs poor start. Not much you can do about it and if I had my choice I would rather have the harder schedule early anyway.

IMHO, Denver has had a couple of extra days to prepare, they are better on both sides of the ball and statistically they should win easily. However, this game we love is and always will be about so much more than just stats. NE stared into the depths of hell and my feeling\hope is they became a stronger team for it. To quote JT, things have been too easy for Den and I think NEs def might just put a decent fight; of course that might just mean they "only" give up 30 :shock:

I do think cold & wind favors Brady over Manning, all though Manning doesn't really depend on throwing deep all that much so that edge is probably not what it once was. On the other side of the coin, how can cold and wind not end up favoring the team with the much stronger run defense (Den)?

Should be a heckuva game and it will probably go right down to the wire; can't wait.

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Me like NE pulling away, 42-24. Too much character and grit on the Pats, they will punch Denver in the face. Jonas Gray will have a big day, Edelman too.

Browner and Revis will mug Sanders and Demaryious respectively, Collins and Chung on Julius with Ryan playing hawk. Allow them to throw underneath to Welker and Hillman.

Nink, Ayers, Hightower and Easley all get sacks :cool:

This game will be silly on both sides of the ball.

Browner and Revis will mug Sanders and Demaryious respectively, Collins and Chung on Julius with Ryan playing hawk. Allow them to throw underneath to Welker and Hillman.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I don't think Chung could cover Dave (Wendys) Thomas, never mind Julius :(

Love it! Go Pats D!

a lot of confidence from Pats fans. I love it.
Biggest game of the year imo. If you can't beat the Broncos at home, then the season's pretty much over unless we luck out and the Broncos lose against the 4/5/6 seed.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I don't think Chung could cover Dave (Wendys) Thomas, never mind Julius :(
I'm aware of Chungs mediocrity, but what he is pretty good at is playing physical, even with guys bigger than him. I think with a guy like Collins assisting in coverage against Julius will be as close as we'll probably get unless we move Browner/Revis on to him.

Wow, a lot of overconfident Pats fans here. The only thing that can keep them in the game (besides an injury to a key Denver player) is the weather. Strong winds probably not good for Peyton.

Given the increased emphasis this season on illegal contact and defensive holding pentalties, I think Denver will be very happy if that happens.

Also, the Pats don't have anyone, not even in combination, who can contain JT (just as the Broncos have no real way to contain Gronk), especially in the Red Zone.

As I've already said, I think the key to this game is Denver's pass rush. If they can get pressure on Brady consistently, they win. If not, New England wins.

In order to slow Denver's pass rush, I think New England runs a lot of jumbo sets and tries to establish the run and sticks with even if unsuccessful. If they can stick with their gameplan and keep Brady upright, they likely win.

Given the increased emphasis this season on illegal contact and defensive holding pentalties, I think Denver will be very happy if that happens.

Also, the Pats don't have anyone, not even in combination, who can contain JT (just as the Broncos have no real way to contain Gronk), especially in the Red Zone.

As I've already said, I think the key to this game is Denver's pass rush. If they can get pressure on Brady consistently, they win. If not, New England wins.
Gotta take the penalties if you wanna play actual pass defense (see: 2013 Seahawks.)

Gotta take the penalties if you wanna play actual pass defense (see: 2013 Seahawks.)
Good point. I'm just saying it they do it all day, and continue to give Peyton free first downs, it will backfire.

Wow, a lot of overconfident Pats fans here. The only thing that can keep them in the game (besides an injury to a key Denver player) is the weather.
I disagree. As great as the Broncos have looked, only two of their games have been on the road, one of which was the OT loss to Seattle, and the other was against the Jets, a game in which the Jets D actually played well for long stretches in that game; the Broncos didn't exactly roll them in that game (the 14-point deficit came as the result of a late pick-6). And I am pretty sure Tom Brady is a lot better than Geno Smith. Even though I'd love to see the Broncos beat them good up there, I think it'll be close till the end, and the home team, as always in this series the last 7-8 years, has the advantage.

Good point. I'm just saying it they do it all day, and continue to give Peyton free first downs, it will backfire.
Will come down to turnovers, can give him free first downs all day if the drive ends in with a takeaway.

Will come down to turnovers, can give him free first downs all day if the drive ends in with a takeaway.
In three games as a Bronco vs NE, Peyton has only had two turnovers. However, his RBs and Demaryious all had costly fumbles in the two regular season losses in '12 and '13, so ball security should be preached heavily this week by the Broncos coaching staff.

I think some people may be missing or not considering how much better the Pats play at home:

2014 Home: 4-0, 34.3 PF, 18.5 PA (+15.8)

2014 Road: 2-2, 25.3 PF, 25.6 PA (-0.3)

2013 Home: 9-0, 31.8 PF, 20.8 PA (+11.0)

2013 Road: 4-5, 24.1 PF, 22.0 PA (+1.9)

2012 Home: 7-3, 32.4 PF, 23.3 PA (+9.1)

2012 Away: 5-2, 33.4 PF, 21.0 PA (+13.4)

2012 Neutral: 1-0, 45.0 PF, 7.0 PA (+38.0)

2011 Home: 9-1, 31.4 PF, 18.4 PA (+13.0)

2011 Road: 6-2, 33.4 PF, 23.5 PA (+9.9)

2011 Neutral: 0-1, 17.0 PF, 21.0 PA (-4.0)

2010 Home: 8-1, 32.6 PF, 20.6 PA (+12.0)

2010 Road: 6-2, 30.8 PF, 19.5 PA (+11.3)

Total Home: 37-5 (.881), 32.2 PF, 20.5 PA (+11.7)

Total Road: 23-13 (.639), 29.6 PF, 22.0 PA (+7.6)

Total Neutral: 1-1 (.500), 31.0 PF, 14.0 PA (+17.0)

Looking at just this year and last:

Home: 13-0, 32.5 PF, 20.1 PA (+12.4)

Road: 6-7, 24.5 PF, 23.2 PA (+2.3)

So in the post Welker/Hernandez era, the Pats have played better to the tune of 10 points per game playing at home.

Devine Intervention said:
Its funny how people talk themselves into actually thinking this game is going to be close.
let's not get carried away --- manning has the choking history, and problems with the pats, and the pats have certainly been looking pretty good, but give manning a little credit for being a great qb.

with all the talent on that denver team I see no reason they can't be competitive in the game.

yeah, that's straight talk, right there.

depending on game situation, I'd expect to see more of revis or browner on julius

In three games as a Bronco vs NE, Peyton has only had two turnovers. However, his RBs and Demaryious all had costly fumbles in the two regular season losses in '12 and '13, so ball security should be preached heavily this week by the Broncos coaching staff.
It has been. When a guy fumbles, he has to carry a ball around the entire following week while his teammates try to strip it from him. This week, Fox is making every Denver skill position player do this. He (they) is (are) very aware of the importance turnovers are likely to play in this game, and is preparing accordingly. Not that I think such tactics have any impact whatsoever in preventing a guy from fumbling during live game action with everything on the line. Still, it's something. It is being preached heavily, at the very least.

depending on game situation, I'd expect to see more of revis or browner on julius
I would think Revis on Demaryius and Browner on Julius makes the most sense, no? Browner's size would seem to make him the best suited to attempt to cover Julius one-on-one anyway... That dude is huge. Like a LB playing CB.

I would think Revis on Demaryius and Browner on Julius makes the most sense, no? Browner's size would seem to make him the best suited to attempt to cover Julius one-on-one anyway... That dude is huge. Like a LB playing CB.
oh, I agree about that, but we'll see how it shakes out.

I don't know that you'll definitely see guys following receivers around the field, so I think the pats have flexibility there, but I think he'll be covered like a big wr most of the time.

oh, I agree about that, but we'll see how it shakes out.

I don't know that you'll definitely see guys following receivers around the field, so I think the pats have flexibility there, but I think he'll be covered like a big wr most of the time.
As he should be because that's exactly what he is--even moreso than Jimmy Graham. The guy can't block for ####.

Wow, a lot of overconfident Pats fans here. The only thing that can keep them in the game (besides an injury to a key Denver player) is the weather. Strong winds probably not good for Peyton.
And why exactly wouldn't it be close? If the game was in Denver I could see the reasoning, but Manning doesn't play great in Foxboro. Add that to the weather, a crowd going absolutely nuts, and probably the best secondary he's faced all season besides the Seahawks, and I think you've got a pretty close game.

Anyone think the Broncos try and stick Talib on Gronk? He shut down Graham last year..but I don't think he'd have nearly the same success with Gronk. They probably wouldn't want to risk an injury..

Wow, a lot of overconfident Pats fans here. The only thing that can keep them in the game (besides an injury to a key Denver player) is the weather.
I disagree. As great as the Broncos have looked, only two of their games have been on the road, one of which was the OT loss to Seattle, and the other was against the Jets, a game in which the Jets D actually played well for long stretches in that game; the Broncos didn't exactly roll them in that game (the 14-point deficit came as the result of a late pick-6). And I am pretty sure Tom Brady is a lot better than Geno Smith. Even though I'd love to see the Broncos beat them good up there, I think it'll be close till the end, and the home team, as always in this series the last 7-8 years, has the advantage.
You're probably right. I took my first look at this thread earlier today and noticed a bunch of confident posts from New England fans, then my emotions got the best of me. As the cliché goes, anything can happen when Manning and Brady get together.

Anarchy99 said:
I think some people may be missing or not considering how much better the Pats play at home:

2014 Home: 4-0, 34.3 PF, 18.5 PA (+15.8)

2014 Road: 2-2, 25.3 PF, 25.6 PA (-0.3)

2013 Home: 9-0, 31.8 PF, 20.8 PA (+11.0)

2013 Road: 4-5, 24.1 PF, 22.0 PA (+1.9)

2012 Home: 7-3, 32.4 PF, 23.3 PA (+9.1)

2012 Away: 5-2, 33.4 PF, 21.0 PA (+13.4)

2012 Neutral: 1-0, 45.0 PF, 7.0 PA (+38.0)

2011 Home: 9-1, 31.4 PF, 18.4 PA (+13.0)

2011 Road: 6-2, 33.4 PF, 23.5 PA (+9.9)

2011 Neutral: 0-1, 17.0 PF, 21.0 PA (-4.0)

2010 Home: 8-1, 32.6 PF, 20.6 PA (+12.0)

2010 Road: 6-2, 30.8 PF, 19.5 PA (+11.3)

Total Home: 37-5 (.881), 32.2 PF, 20.5 PA (+11.7)

Total Road: 23-13 (.639), 29.6 PF, 22.0 PA (+7.6)

Total Neutral: 1-1 (.500), 31.0 PF, 14.0 PA (+17.0)

Looking at just this year and last:

Home: 13-0, 32.5 PF, 20.1 PA (+12.4)

Road: 6-7, 24.5 PF, 23.2 PA (+2.3)

So in the post Welker/Hernandez era, the Pats have played better to the tune of 10 points per game playing at home.
Good stats and I agree that NE has been better at home since the start of last season. Without knowing what the league averages are, I would guess that NEs 2010-2012 Home\Road consistency was probably among the best in the league, so what factors might help explain the sudden drop off? One would probably be an adjustment period after losing AH, but the biggest contributing factor might simply be Gronkowski being out or on a limited snap count for so many of the games referenced. They are a different team with a healthy Gronkowski.

Another thing that could keep them in the game is the fact that they win almost 90% of their games at home under BB & Brady.

That isn't a joke statistic, Brady is 87/100 last 100 home games...

Users who are viewing this thread