What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Browns 2005 Offseason (1 Viewer)

BGP

Indians Fever
Per WKNR 850 AM Cleveland --1. The Ravens are not going to allow the Browns to talk to Ozzie Newsome.2. The Browns have not asked to interview Ozzie Newsome.3. The Browns are interviewing Ravens' Director of Scouting Phil Savage today.

Suggs has looked pretty good over the last feew weeks(well, besides a couple of fumbes) think he sticks around next year?
Oh yes, there's no doubt Suggs will be given the opportunity to be the starter in 2005. There clearly are two issues with him: his fumbling and his health. He carries risk. I wouldn't reach for him in my fantasy draft next year. But if he's on the board at a value spot, take him. I doubt I'll get a chance to draft him.

4. Draft Aaron Rodgers or Matt Leinart in the 1st round.
Possible. I'd like to trade a second and/or a third + fourth for OL help as well. Or you go with Garcia at QB, grab a WR with the first pick, maybe trading down a little bit to do so, and have a rebuilt OL, a WR, and new TE as Winslow returns. Well, I can dream.

Another note: CB Anthony Henry is an unrestricted free agent. He has really developed into a player this year - might be the best player Butch Davis drafted. Unfortunately, he can leave.

1) Hire Phil Savage as GM/Head of Football Operations2) Savage hires Romeo Crennel (or Mike Nolan or Brad Childress)3) Draft top rated player, regardless of position4) Sell fans on yet another rebuilding job

1) Hire Phil Savage as GM/Head of Football Operations2) Savage hires Romeo Crennel (or Mike Nolan or Brad Childress)3) Draft top rated player, regardless of position4) Sell fans on yet another rebuilding job
Good post.

I do NOT want Crennel.Crennel was already here in 2000 and when he was DC the defense was a complete joke.Butch Davis took the same players that Crennel had and in 2001 made considerable strides.Why am I supposed to believe he will get anything out of Courtney Brown in 2005 that he couldn't in 2000?

Last edited by a moderator:
Suggs has looked pretty good over the last feew weeks(well, besides a couple of fumbes) think he sticks around next year?
Oh yes, there's no doubt Suggs will be given the opportunity to be the starter in 2005. There clearly are two issues with him: his fumbling and his health. He carries risk. I wouldn't reach for him in my fantasy draft next year. But if he's on the board at a value spot, take him. I doubt I'll get a chance to draft him.
I guess it depends on the new coach, who may want his own guy. I'm not a Browns homer, but one has to believe that Suggs will be in the mix, and Green is a goner. Maybe someone is brought in to compete with Suggs, i.e., one of the FAs that doesn't land a starting gig, or maybe a rookie.

Priority list should be :1) Get a GM2) Get a coach3) Get a decent QB4) Decide on an RB between two subpar choices5) Revamp offensive line entirely6) Get some linebackers7) Expunge all the busts of the D-line and replace them with guys who can play8) Get a real secondary9) Talk Dawg Pound members off whatever ledge they're threatening to jump from10) Move team to Los Angeles in the middle of the night.Then you'll be all set.

Browns are going to keep both RB's. Neither will count close to a million on the cap this year. Both are under contract. Why would you move one?Green lost all the incentives in his contract and costs just around $300,000.00 a year for the next two. Suggs signed a 5 year deal as a 4th round choice. Barring a hold out, these two are too cheap for the team not to bring them back with the value they provide.

Priority list should be :1) Get a GM2) Get a coach3) Get a decent QB4) Decide on an RB between two subpar choices5) Revamp offensive line entirely6) Get some linebackers7) Expunge all the busts of the D-line and replace them with guys who can play8) Get a real secondary9) Talk Dawg Pound members off whatever ledge they're threatening to jump from10) Move team to Los Angeles in the middle of the night.Then you'll be all set.
Bill, you should just refrain and concentrate on your playoff run since you bound to lose again. :P

There was a report here in Pittsburgh that the Browns have asked permission to interview Steelers Director of Pro Football Ops Kevin Colbert.

Browns are going to keep both RB's. Neither will count close to a million on the cap this year. Both are under contract. Why would you move one?Green lost all the incentives in his contract and costs just around $300,000.00 a year for the next two. Suggs signed a 5 year deal as a 4th round choice. Barring a hold out, these two are too cheap for the team not to bring them back with the value they provide.
If they provide that much value, why not settle on one as the full-time starter and trade the other. At that low cost, it seems either would be highly attractive and might fetch a nice player or pick. Sure, it's a nice luxury to have two starter-quality backs on your team, but when you have as many holes as the Browns have, luxuries are not something you can afford.

But what value DOES Green provide? Not much if you ask me. If he doesn't cost much to keep around, he won't cost much to dump either. His one protector, Butch Davis, can't save him now.

With a shaky background and one piss-test before losing a whole year on suspension, the under-performing Green has little-to-no trade value. He's worth more as a backup then the 4th rounder you might get for him from a desparate team. Suggs will definitely be the starter, but Green isn't worth shipping anywhere, especially with Sugg's injury history.

Bill, you should just refrain and concentrate on your playoff run since you bound to lose again. :P
You have to actually make the playoffs in order to lose in them. I know the Browns make a token appearance here and there, but at least GET to a Super Bowl before you can start talking about other people's performances in big games. If I recall correctly, the biggest game in the history of this incarnation of the Browns was a tragic come-from-behind loss to...............Who was that again? :P

With a shaky background and one piss-test before losing a whole year on suspension, the under-performing Green has little-to-no trade value. He's worth more as a backup then the 4th rounder you might get for him from a desparate team. Suggs will definitely be the starter, but Green isn't worth shipping anywhere, especially with Sugg's injury history.
I have to agree with this. Suggs is the only one with trade value right now and he won't be going anywhere.

You have to actually make the playoffs in order to lose in them. I know the Browns make a token appearance here and there, but at least GET to a Super Bowl before you can start talking about other people's performances in big games. If I recall correctly, the biggest game in the history of this incarnation of the Browns was a tragic come-from-behind loss to...............Who was that again? :P
Like I didn't know that was coming. I should have posted it for you.Just win something and then I won't have anything to say.

I don't see how making fun of recent pathetic history of the expansion Browns is going to make anyone confident that Cowher is ever going to win anything.

Like I didn't know that was coming. I should have posted it for you.Just win something and then I won't have anything to say.
Maybe you should have posted it for me. I hope Pittsburgh does win it all last year so the Browns faithful will not even have that one last pathetic little straw to grasp at. :rotflmao: at Browns fans telling the Steelers to "win something." People in glass houses, and all that.............

I don't see how making fun of recent pathetic history of the expansion Browns is going to make anyone confident that Cowher is ever going to win anything.
I addressed all that in a previous post. This comment was meant strictly to remind Browns fans that deign to make fun of Cowher (but all secretly wish they had him coaching their team) who it was that broke your hearts and ended the one miniscule chance you've had of progressing in the playoffs in the last decade or so.

Get a QB 1st pickStick with SuggsGet a WR 2nd pickUse Winslow like KC does Gonzo
KC also has a stud OL.But it's interesting you bring up Vermiel.He has a history of trading mid-round draft picks for establish3ed OL talent.Thus, my idea of trading the 2nd,3rd, and/or 4th pick to rebuild the OL instead of taking a shot at some prospects.

Get a QB 1st pickStick with SuggsGet a WR 2nd pickUse Winslow like KC does Gonzo
Great idea. Maybe they can tie up lots of money in guys like Tim Couch and Kevin Johnson.

I addressed all that in a previous post. This comment was meant strictly to remind Browns fans that deign to make fun of Cowher (but all secretly wish they had him coaching their team) who it was that broke your hearts and ended the one miniscule chance you've had of progressing in the playoffs in the last decade or so.
:rotflmao: This started with your ridiculus priority list, not a ridiculus Cowher comment. You can dish it but can't take it? In case you didn't know, Cleveland (and all fans of the Browns) take offense to comments like your #10. If the roles were reversed, you would to.BTW, I like Cowher as a coach, but that still doesn't change the fact that he hasn't won squat.

Great idea. Maybe they can tie up lots of money in guys like Tim Couch and Kevin Johnson.
Yup.See Johnson, Morgan, Davis, and Northcutt....all 2nd round picks. If they do that again, I'm gonna lose it. I'd rather see them take Mike Williams than a QB also.

no matter what list you draw up, after the GM and Coach, the next priority should be building an offensive line. Whether through free agency or the draft, if this isn't dealt with, you'll be re-building every year.

:rotflmao: This started with your ridiculus priority list, not a ridiculus Cowher comment. You can dish it but can't take it? In case you didn't know, Cleveland (and all fans of the Browns) take offense to comments like your #10. If the roles were reversed, you would to.BTW, I like Cowher as a coach, but that still doesn't change the fact that he hasn't won squat.
Sorry Bobcat, you got caught in the crossfire. The only reason I posted that was because BGP popped up in another thread trashing Cowher unprovoked, so I was dishing some back in his thread. I really don't like to kick teams when they're down, and I'm sorry if you or any other Browns fans took offense to my comments. Rest assured, they were a response, not a cruel attempt to rub salt in the wounds.To address your second point, if "squat" means a Super Bowl, then you're right. Then again, of the current 32 head coaches in the NFL, how many have? 5? 6? Does winning a single Super Bowl make you a great coach? Would you rather have Billick than Cowher because Billick won it all once with a great defense? What Cowher has done is build a team that competes almost every single year. 8 division titles in 13 years as coach. 4 AFC Championship appearances. 1 Super Bowl appearance. Sooner or later, he'll break through and win it all when the cards fall right. If that happens this year, it would be all the better seeing as the AFC is stronger this year than any other season I can remember. I'll take that over going 5-11 every year any day of the week.

Sorry Bobcat, you got caught in the crossfire. The only reason I posted that was because BGP popped up in another thread trashing Cowher unprovoked.
How am I trashing Cowher?Just because I don't drink the Kool-Aid that he an awesome coach?I'll I've done is point out the TRUTH that Cowher has never won anything.I wouldn't want him coaching the Browns. That doesn't mean I don't want to win. I just don't think he can win it all.

BTW, I like Cowher as a coach, but that still doesn't change the fact that he hasn't won squat.
Hasn't won squat, huh?Since Cowher has been the Steelers head coach in 1992, he has made the the playoffs 9 times. The Cleveland Browns in those 13 years have made the playoffs twice. In both of those seasons where the Browns made the playoffs, they were knocked out by Bill Cowher's Steelers.Bill Cowher has won the division 8 of the 13 years he has coached the Steelers. The Browns haven't won the division since 1989, 3 years before Bill Cowher became a head coach.Bill Cowher has gone to the Super Bowl once, something a Cleveland Browns team has never done.True, Bill Cowher's playoff record is 7-8, which ain't great. But if you add up all of the post-season wins for the Cleveland Browns, you have to go back to 1964 before you get to 7 and equal Bill Cowher.Bill Cowher > Cleveland Browns ;)

Yup.See Johnson, Morgan, Davis, and Northcutt....all 2nd round picks. If they do that again, I'm gonna lose it. I'd rather see them take Mike Williams than a QB also.
Ok they take Williams and then what stick with Holcomb or Garcia? Can they get it done with Williams A.Davis Suggs and Winslow?

BTW, I like Cowher as a coach, but that still doesn't change the fact that he hasn't won squat.
Hasn't won squat, huh?Since Cowher has been the Steelers head coach in 1992, he has made the the playoffs 9 times. The Cleveland Browns in those 13 years have made the playoffs twice. In both of those seasons where the Browns made the playoffs, they were knocked out by Bill Cowher's Steelers.Bill Cowher has won the division 8 of the 13 years he has coached the Steelers. The Browns haven't won the division since 1989, 3 years before Bill Cowher became a head coach.Bill Cowher has gone to the Super Bowl once, something a Cleveland Browns team has never done.True, Bill Cowher's playoff record is 7-8, which ain't great. But if you add up all of the post-season wins for the Cleveland Browns, you have to go back to 1964 before you get to 7 and equal Bill Cowher.Bill Cowher > Cleveland Browns ;)
:thumbup: Cleveland still thinks there is a book in the Bible named Bernie despite the fact that Bernie never won squat. Never sniffed the Super Bowl

Ok they take Williams and then what stick with Holcomb or Garcia? Can they get it done with Williams A.Davis Suggs and Winslow?
You might be right. I dunno. I just hate seeing a team take a QB, and have him turn into Akili Smith/Tim Couch, and still be setback in doing so.Three options here:Draft a QB in the 1st round.Go with Garcia/Mccown and let Holcomb go away in free agency. He's a backup, nothing more.Or, the best free agent possibilities are Brees, Hasselbeck, and Warner, unless I missed somebody. Pair one of them with Mccown and cut Garcia. Brees will likely cost draft picks, so that won't happen.Not sure which I like best at this point.

Sorry Bobcat, you got caught in the crossfire. The only reason I posted that was because BGP popped up in another thread trashing Cowher unprovoked.
How am I trashing Cowher?Just because I don't drink the Kool-Aid that he an awesome coach?

I'll I've done is point out the TRUTH that Cowher has never won anything.

I wouldn't want him coaching the Browns. That doesn't mean I don't want to win. I just don't think he can win it all.
I was referring to this unsolicited account in the Super Bowl predictions thread :I think the easiest argument to make against the Steelers is that Bill Cowher's 2001 team was superior to this current team, and he couldn't even win the AFC with that 2001 team.......Do you want to go with a Cowher who can't win the big game, or a Belichick who has shown he can pull wins out of his butt all the time

This is not trashing Cowher? Come on. Look at my avatar. Did you think I was going to take that shot lying down? From a BROWNS fan ? :no:

4. Draft Aaron Rodgers or Matt Leinart in the 1st round.
Possible. I'd like to trade a second and/or a third + fourth for OL help as well. Or you go with Garcia at QB, grab a WR with the first pick, maybe trading down a little bit to do so, and have a rebuilt OL, a WR, and new TE as Winslow returns.
Rumor has it the Winslow surgery was botched and he may not be ready until mid-season 2005.BTW CD, don't see the Browns taking a QB at #3. Much greater needs on this team that has had more starting players on IR than any other NFL team for two consecutive years. Pansies just can't stay healthy.

Priority list should be :

1) Get a GM

2) Get a coach

3) Get a decent QB

4) Decide on an RB between two subpar choices

5) Revamp offensive line entirely

6) Get some linebackers

7) Expunge all the busts of the D-line and replace them with guys who can play

8) Get a real secondary

9) Talk Dawg Pound members off whatever ledge they're threatening to jump from

10) Move team to Los Angeles in the middle of the night.

Then you'll be all set.
Solve problems at 2 positions with the 1st pick:1) Get a GM

2) Get a coach

3) Get a decent QB Trade Garcia for Brees, exchanging 1st round picks with Chargers

4) Decide on an RB between two subpar choices

5) Revamp offensive line entirely Use the #1 pick from Chargers (#28) on OL

6) Get some linebackers

7) Expunge all the busts of the D-line and replace them with guys who can play

8) Get a real secondary

9) Talk Dawg Pound members off whatever ledge they're threatening to jump from

10) Move team to Los Angeles in the middle of the night.

From Tuesday's P-G:

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/05004/436860.stm

Steelers say no to Browns

The Steelers have denied permission to the Cleveland Browns who requested to talk with Kevin Colbert about their general manager's job. Colbert is under contract with the Steelers as their director of football operations. The Steelers issued a statement saying that Colbert preferred to remain in his current position.

Not without an OL but there will be plenty around in FA.

I'm sure there is a thread elsewhere, but it should be noted that Newsome was DENIED the opportunity to interview for the Browns. He has two years left on his contract, so I assume Balt wants to keep him. It looks like Savage will end up getting the GM position.Coaching position will be interesting.

According to Internet reports, the Browns will be busy this week. FOXsports.com said Cleveland will interview Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress for the coaching job today. That site said the Browns also plan to talk to New England Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel and are expected to interview GM candidates Tim Ruskell of the Atlanta Falcons and Charles Bailey of the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Link if you want to read more

How am I trashing Cowher?Just because I don't drink the Kool-Aid that he an awesome coach?

I'll I've done is point out the TRUTH that Cowher has never won anything.

I wouldn't want him coaching the Browns. That doesn't mean I don't want to win. I just don't think he can win it all.
I was referring to this unsolicited account in the Super Bowl predictions thread :I think the easiest argument to make against the Steelers is that Bill Cowher's 2001 team was superior to this current team, and he couldn't even win the AFC with that 2001 team.......Do you want to go with a Cowher who can't win the big game, or a Belichick who has shown he can pull wins out of his butt all the time

This is not trashing Cowher? Come on. Look at my avatar. Did you think I was going to take that shot lying down? From a BROWNS fan ? :no:
How is it trashing Cowher?Has Cowher ever won the big game?

NO.

So I'm just telling the truth.

ROFLI love how when I ask if Cowher has ever won anything, they compare his record to my dismal franchise and then puff out their chest with pride. You can't defend him, so you attack something else. Its hilarious.

Anyway, yes the reports are accurate the Browns met with Childress and Savage.http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oD...ov=ap&type=lgns

Browns focus on Savage; interview ChildressBy TOM WITHERS, AP Sports WriterJanuary 4, 2005CLEVELAND (AP) -- Butch Davis left the Cleveland Browns -- and a mess. Phil Savage could be the one who cleans it up.Savage, the Baltimore Ravens' director of player personnel and a former assistant coach with the Browns, has moved to the top of the team's list of candidates to become Cleveland's general manager.Meanwhile, the team's coaching search got under way Tuesday as the Browns interviewed Brad Childress, Philadelphia's offensive coordinator, two sources within the league told The Associated Press.Browns owner Randy Lerner and president John Collins met with Childress, said the sources, speaking on condition of anonymity. .....But on Monday, their first day to formally request permission to interview team executives under contract, the Browns had their list whittled down. Newsome, Tennessee GM Floyd Reese, Atlanta assistant GM Tim Ruskell, Pittsburgh director of football operations Kevin Colbert and Philadelphia vice president of player personnel Tom Heckert all informed the Browns they weren't interested or weren't being granted permission to be interviewed.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/05005/437291.stm

Steelers Notebook: Grimm to interview for Cleveland job

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Officials from the Browns will interview Russ Grimm, the Steelers' assistant head coach, Saturday for Cleveland's head coaching job.

Browns owner Randy Lerner, who received permission from the Steelers this week to talk to Grimm, along with president and CEO John Collins, will interview Grimm in Pittsburgh..

One day earlier, the Steelers denied Lerner permission to talk to Kevin Colbert, their director of football operations, for Cleveland's vacant general manager's job. Colbert is under contract and said he preferred to stay in his current position with the Steelers. Although Grimm also is under contract, one team cannot stand in the way of another if it wants to hire an assistant to become a head coach.

The Browns can only interview Grimm this week because the Steelers do not play. No one can interview an assistant from a team in the playoffs except during their bye week.

Grimm, 45, was a finalist last year for the Chicago Bears' head coaching job that went to Lovie Smith. He has been the Steelers' offensive line coach since 2000 and coach Bill Cowher added the title of assistant head coach last year.

Grimm played at Southmoreland High School and at Pitt and has three Super Bowl rings from his 11 years playing guard for the Washington Redskins. He was selected first string on the NFL's all-1980s team and is among 25 semifinalists for the 2005 Pro Football Hall of Fame class.

Would you rather have Billick than Cowher because Billick won it all once with a great defense? What Cowher has done is build a team that competes almost every single year. 8 division titles in 13 years as coach. 4 AFC Championship appearances. 1 Super Bowl appearance.
Bilick's record:56-40(.583), after taking over a 6-10 team, in 6 yrs3 playoffs in 6 yrs, 1 division title...4-2 playoff record...1 Super Bowl WINthis is after the team moved, and spent 3 years toiling at the bottom of the divisionwhile the Cower record is decent (8 titles in 13 yrs, for example), the Ravens have been just as competitive during the Billick era....in the 1 sub .500 year we've had, the team was 7-7 after 14 games, competing for a playoff spot, until a couple of division losses in weeks 16 and 17 sent them home...this is the first year in 6 that the team has not achieved at a level where preseason expectations were----plenty of injuries, for sure, but a rare folding of the defense against Cinncy (up 20-3 w/17 mins left) was the straw that broke the camels back this seasonlook....I grant you we'll never aggree on this---but to throw Billick under the bus and say he's a bad coach is without basis...you act as if the team would have done this dispite him---his running the ship WAS the reason the team attracted the FA's they assembled during the Super Bowl runon topic---I've heard Savage recently on a radio interview say he wouldn't leave Baltimore just to take a GM job...but word around here is that if offered, he's gonethe Raven draft record is second to none....Cleveland kills 2 birds w/1 stone w/a Savage hiring...1)get an excellent talent evaluator at the top of the totem pole and 2)weaken the front office of a division rivalnot suprising they are trying to raid the Steelers for a coaching canidate in Grimm, as they would again dig into the talent of a division rival

look....I grant you we'll never aggree on this---but to throw Billick under the bus and say he's a bad coach is without basis...you act as if the team would have done this dispite him---his running the ship WAS the reason the team attracted the FA's they assembled during the Super Bowl run
I never said Billick was a lousy coach. I hate the guy, but I didn't say he sucks. I just asked the question : would you rather have him than Cowher based on his 1 Super Bowl win? I wouldn't, others might.I wasn't trying to attack Billick, just making the point that having one great team doesn't necessarily make one a better coach than someone for whom the cards have never fallen just right. Personally, I'd take Cowher and his sustained success, but that's just my opinion. Others are sure to disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread