What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

C.J. Spiller Hype(r) Train (1 Viewer)

The difference in the Titans and the Bills is that the Titans have a great Oline.

The Bills have Lee Evans, who is a better talent than any WR CJ has had on his team. Also, for much of CJ's playing career he's had poor QB play.

But he has a Oline who can blow holes open for him. I'm not sure that will be the case for Spiller.

I'm on the Spiller train more than I was before however, I think its basically going to be a coin flip between he and Best. Both guys have great similarities in stat lines from college but play a different style of game.Spiller is going to be a gooder but IMO Best may do a bit more in the passing game and considering right now Best is the goaline guy I think he moves just a bit ahead of him. Spiller could loose some TDs long term esp when his competition come back this season. Long term, he could take over but we'll have to see on that.I got less than 8 hours until I basically have to decide between the two and from what I can tell, the only thing that will keep us all from debating these two multi years down the line is the ever present injury bug. Spiller def gets a up tick for that.
This is not a Spiller vs Best comparison thread (currently an active comparison thread in SP). Like another poster stated earlier, no need to pick sides here as I'm more interested simply in what people think about Spiller. My guesstimate of Spiller's production in 2010.........212 carries for 975 yds 53 rec for 520 yds9 total TDs (maybe 2 via returns)
I'm gonna be "that guy" and go on record as saying I strongly fee the numbers above are easily attainable for Spiller this year...maybe even a tad conservative. Yes...I know the hype is getting out of control at this point but I really feel this kid is a superstar-to-be. It would not be unprecedented for a rookie RB to finish in the top 5 as a FF RB...and that's exactly where I think Spiller ends up....top 5. He'll be on all my teams this year unless someone "out reaches" me for him. I won't let him slide past the 5th in any of my drafts

This is not a Spiller vs Best comparison thread (currently an active comparison thread in SP). Like another poster stated earlier, no need to pick sides here as I'm more interested simply in what people think about Spiller. My guesstimate of Spiller's production in 2010.........212 carries for 975 yds 53 rec for 520 yds9 total TDs (maybe 2 via returns)
My bad I didn't mean for it to come off as a vs. argument but re reading it did! My mind is clearly more worried about my choice :unsure:I agree completely with the above stats you listed as attainable for Spiller. My only concern for his production is how he fares with goaline as we haven't really seen Buffalo's plan with him there. Dynasty he is a great pickup and IMO will be very productive for years (barring injury) Cold weather may slow some of the catches to 40 for this year but he should be 50+ going forward after Lynch and Jackson move out the way.IMO Gore could be the ceiling on him which would be amazing.

bo100 said:
i was at the game last nite . other than the big run , the colts starters were throwing him around like a rag doll , i was unimpressed, he looked like quinton griffen......
Well, I'm just now looking at the replay of the game on NFLN, and I'd have to wonder what it is that you were looking at. I just saw two impressive runs by Spiller in the early part of the 2nd quarter of this game. If this had been a full day's work by Spiller, I could easily see a 150+ total yd day here. Again, being able to take a few bits of info/data from here and there in order to piece the whole puzzle together is what I'm striving for. And from the many different bits that I've gathered on this kid, surefire stardom is on the horizon.
Well, in his defense, there were a few plays where Spiller was tossed around like a ragdoll. Those were the plays when the offensive line missed their assignments and let guys into the backfield immediately. It's something that Spiller will have to contend with all season, yes, but it's not a knock on Spiller's individual ability, IMO. It's a knock on the offensive line's play.

I'm on the Spiller train more than I was before however, I think its basically going to be a coin flip between he and Best. Both guys have great similarities in stat lines from college but play a different style of game.Spiller is going to be a gooder but IMO Best may do a bit more in the passing game and considering right now Best is the goaline guy I think he moves just a bit ahead of him. Spiller could loose some TDs long term esp when his competition come back this season. Long term, he could take over but we'll have to see on that.I got less than 8 hours until I basically have to decide between the two and from what I can tell, the only thing that will keep us all from debating these two multi years down the line is the ever present injury bug. Spiller def gets a up tick for that.
I'm gonna be "that guy" and go on record as saying I strongly fee the numbers above are easily attainable for Spiller this year...maybe even a tad conservative. Yes...I know the hype is getting out of control at this point but I really feel this kid is a superstar-to-be. It would not be unprecedented for a rookie RB to finish in the top 5 as a FF RB...and that's exactly where I think Spiller ends up....top 5. He'll be on all my teams this year unless someone "out reaches" me for him. I won't let him slide past the 5th in any of my drafts
As a Bills fan, I really hope you're right. I don't doubt that Spiller could put up top 5 numbers in a good situation....but the Bills this year are just not a good situation. I think he'll have his big days and his quiet days, and there will be days when Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch - assuming their injuries aren't too serious - get the bulk of the work. Keep in mind that the offensive line is quite literally the worst in the NFL (IMO). There is 1 strong player - Eric Wood - and a bunch of undistinguised vets (Hangartner, Green) and unknown youngsters (Levitre, Bell). There's no denying that Fred Jackson had a great year last year behind essentially the same offensive line, but he only had to battle with Lynch for touches. Spiller has to battle with both.Just my opinion. The talent is there, no question.

Looks like Lynch will be ready for the first game.

shawn Lynch (ankle) was able to do running drills off to the side during Saturday's practice.

Lynch was moving well straight ahead, but he was much more careful on lateral movements and cuts. He's on track for a return to full healthy by the season opener

Those of you on board, where are you looking to take him? I am trying not to pick too early or wait too long, either succumbing to my :bag: or trying too hard to go against it.

Went 3.03 in my draft, to a Steelers fan. I was targeting him in the 7th, but it's amazing what 1 highlight can do to a stock of a rookie.

Probably doesnt help much in giving people value.

4 player keeper league - Non Compulsory Pick 4 - 8 team league

2QB-2RB-2WR-2FLEX-TE-D-K-13B

29 players kept

These are the players taken before Spiller

Matthews

Megatron

Kolb (2 QB League)

DJax

Marshall

CJSpiller :thumbup: Me

Best :unsure: Me

As high on Best as i am Spiller

bump......

As many tend to overlook this kid, don't forget who is the most dynamic/electric player in this draft class. Will be right amongst the others battling for ROY. Good to see him get a goal line look....and convert!

Is there any chance that Trent Edwards passing to Evans/Parish with their young OL could actually be decent? Edwards has looked okay sometimes when not injured. Evans and Parish is a lot of speed outside and their two guard were pretty high draft picks.

Is there any chance that Trent Edwards passing to Evans/Parish with their young OL could actually be decent? Edwards has looked okay sometimes when not injured. Evans and Parish is a lot of speed outside and their two guard were pretty high draft picks.
No, seriously? :popcorn:

No, seriously? :confused:
Chan Gailey is a huge upgrade over **** Jauron. Don't discount this when thinking about the Bills' offense.

No, seriously? :confused:
If you mean make Edwards a scent fantasy QB, then no. If you mean can Edwards be an actual NFL calibre QB and not be a gigantic liability, I think the answer is "possibly."

No, seriously? :welcome:
If you mean make Edwards a scent fantasy QB, then no. If you mean can Edwards be an actual NFL calibre QB and not be a gigantic liability, I think the answer is "possibly."
No, I wasn't gonna go that far.

Those of you on board, where are you looking to take him? I am trying not to pick too early or wait too long, either succumbing to my :wub: or trying too hard to go against it.
I am targeting him at 5:11 in a 12 team ppr.
No chance! If you want him, you'll either have to trade to the end of the 4th to very early 5th. If no trading is allowed, you will not get him unless you take him at 4.02. Unless you are in with total gups....

Those of you on board, where are you looking to take him? I am trying not to pick too early or wait too long, either succumbing to my :wub: or trying too hard to go against it.
No chance! If you want him, you'll either have to trade to the end of the 4th to very early 5th. If no trading is allowed, you will not get him unless you take him at 4.02. Unless you are in with total gups....
I should have listened to this. He went one pick before me in the 6th round (10 team league). Then I got too cute and tried to wait a round on Arian Foster who went one pick after me. :thumbup: However, I did take Finley in the 5th round so I should dominate the league with just him. At least that's what I've read.

Those of you on board, where are you looking to take him? I am trying not to pick too early or wait too long, either succumbing to my :goodposting: or trying too hard to go against it.
I should have listened to this. He went one pick before me in the 6th round (10 team league). Then I got too cute and tried to wait a round on Arian Foster who went one pick after me. :unsure: However, I did take Finley in the 5th round so I should dominate the league with just him. At least that's what I've read.
As long as you have replacement level guys elsewhere, he'll do it all by himself. Probably outscore CJ from last year...

He's the best RB in this class and has the talent to be a top 5 RB, guys with his skillset out of the backfield and in open space don't come around very often. I think him and Jahvid Best are both going to tear the league up although I'm more confident in Spiller because of the horrific concussion Best suffered that bothers me a lot. I took him in the 3rd round of a 16 team dynasty league and will be targeting him in a redraft league where we get bonuses for 100 yard games in the 3rd or 4th round. Call me crazy but I think he's a beast in the making.

People tend to hype up preseason but I saw what he could do in college all the time, he didn't play against the best competition but certainly didn't play against the worst.

/end CJ love

I'm in a 10 team, 5 keeper league. I draft #1 overall. Which equates to the 6.01 pick.

Might take Spiller with that pick over Mathews and Greene. I mean, I've literally been waiting two years to draft Spiller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spiller is going to be the best player to come out of that draft

He is just so explosive and elusive; his 21 yard TD against CIN last night was a thing of beauty. JUst glided down the sideline effortlessly after juking a defender at the LOS.

I am definately targeting him in my draft today. I am a huge Bills homer and am not worried about Lynch or FJax eating his carries. I think we'll see a similar situation to last year: Lynch was out first few weeks and FJax capitalized and took the job. Spiller will be starting week 1 it looks. No way he gets benched after that.

Gailey is the best offensive mind to come thru here in years; he will be using him extensively

Spiller Song set to "Thriller":

http://m2.wnymedia.net/files/2010/08/Spiller_Rough-Mix-1.mp3

Went 2 picks before me last night. The run last night was awesome - he looks like a very special player to me. Great moves/instincts. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he is the next big RB to take over the NFL. He looked that good.

On board, banking on RB2.

Hoping he sees a bunch of receptions out in space with all those moves/acceleration/etc.

I'm a huge Clemson homer and if you look at my post history, I'm also a huge Spiller fanboy. I traded for 3 1st rounders in my dynasty to have the ammo to go get him this year. I luckily had one of them turn out to be 1.01, so I got him along with Jahvid and Gerhart.

Anyway, I think he's a beast. He's also an elite receiver out of the backfield and you should see more receptions sooner than later.

Well, all the clips I saw were bounces to the perimeter. Does he hit the whole and move the pile ever? Seems like a "Bush", always trying to bounce it, but I don't have a lot of experience watching him.

Well, all the clips I saw were bounces to the perimeter. Does he hit the whole and move the pile ever? Seems like a "Bush", always trying to bounce it, but I don't have a lot of experience watching him.
EXACTLY what I thought when I saw those highlights. Every move was a burst to the outside. It's going to take about 1 week of planning for an opposing defense to keep someone wide on him. Not saying he won't be great, but I would not be too giddy until we see him play a couple of regular season games when the defense can "plan" for him.

Users who are viewing this thread