What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

C.J. Spiller Hype(r) Train (1 Viewer)

kremenull

Footballguy
All offseason I've sat back and listened to a lot of naysayers, witnessed many fantasy owners automatically peg this kid as the 4th rated (and selected in rookie drafts as such) player in this 2010 class. Well, I know there are probably other threads in here pimping Spiller....but I'm adding another to keep it real. And yes, we're definitely not late to the party as I own Spiller in multiple dynasty leagues.

So without further ado, here is why you should love this kid.

DYNAMIC TALENT

Even if you hadn't seen him play much in college, once the official record showed that Spiller had scored 21 TDs of over 50 yards during his college career, this alone should have grabbed your full attention.

PLAYS HURT

One subtle thing that I observed, even from his YouTube highlight pkgs, is that Spiller's Soph and Jr. season tape, his playing speed is faster than his final season. It was pretty well known that he was dealing with a "turf toe" injury for much of the season, yet continued to play through it and have a great season. Yet many question his toughness and durability???

VERSATILITY

Aside from the return game, Spiller is a homicide dual-threat who is able to run and catch out of the backfield with great effectiveness. And the reports from his Pro Day were glowing in regards to how well he caught the ball in drills. In PPR leagues, this kid should be moved up the ranks quite a bit actually given the little hints of information let out by HC Gailey on how they plan to use this guy.....all over the field.

Finally, and I don't care that it was preseason, that TD run should have validated the point that he is special. There are only 3, maybe 4, other RBs in the league (CJ2k, "All-Day", Best, and maybe Reg Bush) who could make those types of moves in tight space as Spiller did on the 31-yd TD run vs Indy. First, the start-stop on 2 feet-and start back up again with lightning quicks to avoid the D-Lineman in the backfield was outright special....continuing on through the hole (between the tackles, I might add), with burst/explosion to pop throgh heading to the the 2nd level, and then make a darting cut at high-speed to avoid the safety closing in to make the stop was another display of rare ability. Those two moves, either alone was special, put in combination on one run sealed the deal.....Nuff said!

It's Spiller time!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not trying to knock him, but as a spiller expert, here are my questions for you:

do you really feel he'll be involved in the return game?

buffalo's offense basically sucks --- can one guy actually produce td's while dragging that anchor behind him?

I like spiller a ton. I have him as #1 talent and mathews #1 situation. Also have mathews #2 talent, yes ahead of dez and best. I would take mathews first then spiller the day after the draft. I seen ben Tate taken over spiller a lot and puked.

he's a special special talent.

i think a lot of it is that people want to pick a side and can't accept that both he and Best can succeed, there really isn't a reason to have to bash one if you like the other.

I used Best/Spiller because that seems to be the main 2 that get debated between.

I like Spiller better due to durability as he hasn't missed a game in his career, going back to high school, whereas Best has missed a bunch of games. I like them both a lot though.

I'm not trying to knock him, but as a spiller expert, here are my questions for you:do you really feel he'll be involved in the return game?buffalo's offense basically sucks --- can one guy actually produce td's while dragging that anchor behind him?
Honestly, I think the "bad team/offense" angle is overblown. Talents like this are what help elevate offenses out of ineptitude. Jamaal Charles certainly produced rather well last season on a bad team with an o-line that would be regarded as subpar. I don't recall the Titans scaring anybody or setting the world on fire pre-CJ2k. I believe Spiller will be able to produce in similar fashion on a perceived "bad" team/offense. A good offensive mind like Chan Gailey should be able to utilize this kid so that he shines.....Spiller gives the Bills a chance to be in games.I'd expect some returns out if him, but one thing that should not be lost in this "return game hurting Spiller concern", is that the Bills probably have the deepest core of good-to-excellent returners in the league with T.McGee, McKelvin, Roscoe Parrish, and now Spiller. So I'd expect them to not overuse Spiller in the return game as those other guys are also very good at it.

i was at the game last nite . other than the big run , the colts starters were throwing him around like a rag doll , i was unimpressed, he looked like quinton griffen......

I'm not trying to knock him, but as a spiller expert, here are my questions for you:

buffalo's offense basically sucks --- can one guy actually produce td's while dragging that anchor behind him?
was just about to respond to this, when i saw this....

Honestly, I think the "bad team/offense" angle is overblown. Talents like this are what help elevate offenses out of ineptitude. Jamaal Charles certainly produced rather well last season on a bad team with an o-line that would be regarded as subpar. I don't recall the Titans scaring anybody or setting the world on fire pre-CJ2k. I believe Spiller will be able to produce in similar fashion on a perceived "bad" team/offense. A good offensive mind like Chan Gailey should be able to utilize this kid so that he shines.....Spiller gives the Bills a chance to be in games.

I'd expect some returns out if him, but one thing that should not be lost in this "return game hurting Spiller concern", is that the Bills probably have the deepest core of good-to-excellent returners in the league with T.McGee, McKelvin, Roscoe Parrish, and now Spiller. So I'd expect them to not overuse Spiller in the return game as those other guys are also very good at it.
The one thing that the bills are usually above average is ST. Not to mention Fred Jackson did a decent job last year with 47 total KR/PRs. It's not like Spiller is chained to special team duty.That run was a game changer for me. I had basically written off Spiller as Sproles-East, someone who might be decent enough during bye-weeks in PPR. I read about the Gailey philosophy of typically giving one RB 300+ carries, while another plays 3RB for 40 or so receptions. Penciled in Jackson as the bell cow and Spiller as the changed of pace. There's historical precedent for this. But now...

I don't want to make too much out of one run in the preseason, but his talent is undeniable. CJ-rookie-year, Slaton (remember him?), or J.Charles stats are within reach, even given that the bills offense as a whole is probably bottom 10. Gailey has to realize that Spiller is the most dynamic player on the roster, and give him carries. I doubt 300, but 200-250 is reasonable assuming he's healthy, PLUS the 30-50 receptions we already anticipated.

All offseason I've sat back and listened to a lot of naysayers, witnessed many fantasy owners automatically peg this kid as the 4th rated (and selected in rookie drafts as such) player in this 2010 class. Well, I know there are probably other threads in here pimping Spiller....but I'm adding another to keep it real. And yes, we're definitely not late to the party asi own Spiller in multiple dynasty leagues. So without further ado, here is why you should love this kid. DYNAMIC TALENTEven if you hadn't seen him play much in college, once the official record showed that Spiller had scored 21 TDs of over 50 yards during his college career, this alone should have grabbed your full attention. PLAYS HURTOne subtle thing that I observed, even from his YouTube highlight pkgs, is that Spiller's Soph and Jr. season tape, his playing speed is faster than his final season. It was pretty well known that he was dealing with a "turf toe" injury for much of the season, yet continued to play through it and have a great season. Yet many question his toughness and durability???VERSATILITYAside from the return game, Spiller is a homicide dual-threat who is able to run and catch out of the backfield with great effectiveness. And the reports from his Pro Day were glowing in regards to how well he caught the ball in drills. In PPR leagues, this kid should be moved up the ranks quite a bit actually given the little hints of information let out by HC Gailey on how they plan to use this guy.....all over the field.Finally, and I don't care that it was preseason, that TD run should have validated the point that he is special. There are only 3, maybe 4, other RBs in the league (CJ2k, "All-Day", Best, and maybe Reg Bush) who could make those types of moves in tight space as Spiller did on the 31-yd TD run vs Indy. First, the start-stop on 2 feet-and start back up again with lightning quicks to avoid the D-Lineman in the backfield was outright special....continuing on through the hole (between the tackles, I might add), with burst/explosion to pop throgh heading to the the 2nd level, and then make a darting cut at high-speed to avoid the safety closing in to make the stop was another display of rare ability. Those two moves, either alone was special, put in combination on one run sealed the deal.....Nuff said!It's Spiller time!
:goodposting:

Spiller looked big out there. Surprisingly big. The sexy pick around here is that Best is the guy and Spiller is overrated. To me, Spiller looks like the real deal.

Best is a side to side runner which without a nice Oline ussually do not do well -- Spiller is 1 cut an go - then juke in open field. Best has less comp but I really don't think Spiller has as much comp for carries as some think -- He is the best weapon the Bills got I see a CJIII type rookie year. Best I think will be solid PPR.

Spiller 230 - 1080 48 rec 400 yds 9 TD's

Best 285 - 980 60 rec 490 yds 5 td's

Best is a side to side runner which without a nice Oline ussually do not do well -- Spiller is 1 cut an go - then juke in open field. Best has less comp but I really don't think Spiller has as much comp for carries as some think -- He is the best weapon the Bills got I see a CJIII type rookie year. Best I think will be solid PPR.Spiller 230 - 1080 48 rec 400 yds 9 TD'sBest 285 - 980 60 rec 490 yds 5 td's
perfect explanation, the style of running is the main reason i like spiller a bit more. Best gets hit from a lot of weird angles which leaves him susceptible to big hits.

Best is a side to side runner which without a nice Oline ussually do not do well -- Spiller is 1 cut an go - then juke in open field. Best has less comp but I really don't think Spiller has as much comp for carries as some think -- He is the best weapon the Bills got I see a CJIII type rookie year. Best I think will be solid PPR.Spiller 230 - 1080 48 rec 400 yds 9 TD'sBest 285 - 980 60 rec 490 yds 5 td's
4.7 ypr spiller and 3.4 ypr best is a big disparity, i dont it see it as that wide, but maybe youre right

4.7 ypr spiller and 3.4 ypr best is a big disparity, i dont it see it as that wide, but maybe youre right
both will have a high ypc.

what do you see as high?

what do you see as high?
at least 4.3 YPC, so it really all comes down to carries. also both will be really good in the passing game.

I'm on the hype train. Bills fans seem to think that this is going to remain a 3 man RBBC, but Spiller has every opportunity to take the job now that Jackson and Lynch are nicked up. I hope he makes the most of it because he gives the bills the best chance to win imo. Jackson and Lynch are good backs, (buffalo averaged the most 4 yard or more runs in the league last year 48%) but Spiller is a game changer.

I really hope that Chan Gailey gives him the majority of the touches.

where would a shark take him in a 12 team ppr redraft ?
http://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp_ppr.phpData from 736 mock drafts between August 15, 2010 and August 18, 2010

Computer selections are filtered out before any calculations are made.

Computer selections are randomized to avoid bias from automated picks

75 7.03 C.J. Spiller
Well, I'm in a draft that started yesterday, and Spiller was drafted this morning at draft pick 5.03 in a 12-team PPR, start 1 RB, triple flex, 1.5 PPR TE league.......51st overall.....WOW!After seeing this last year (as I stated in an earlier post, he played faster in his 2008 tape), I just don't see how could anyone have doubted his star potential......Yeah, I know he hasn't arrived yet, but it's coming..... :goodposting:

kremenull said:
Kool-Aid Larry said:
bulger2holt said:
where would a shark take him in a 12 team ppr redraft ?
http://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp_ppr.phpData from 736 mock drafts between August 15, 2010 and August 18, 2010

Computer selections are filtered out before any calculations are made.

Computer selections are randomized to avoid bias from automated picks

75 7.03 C.J. Spiller
Well, I'm in a draft that started yesterday, and Spiller was drafted this morning at draft pick 5.03 in a 12-team PPR, start 1 RB, triple flex, 1.5 PPR TE league.......51st overall.....WOW!After seeing this last year (as I stated in an earlier post, he played faster in his 2008 tape), I just don't see how could anyone have doubted his star potential......Yeah, I know he hasn't arrived yet, but it's coming..... :excited:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vibKFp6y_lc...feature=related :)

Much has been said about the Bills bad oline and offense, probably the biggest reason people are down on Spiller but I ask you this........did Fred Jackson do pretty good last year? I think so

Now Edwards is back under center (good or bad) the oline is a year better and use to each other and they have a better offensive coach.

If Spiller gets the carries (touches) there is no reason he can't have a very good year. Again, I see him as a better talent than Fred Jackson.

I got him last night in the 7th round in a 12 player league .5 ppr with points for return yards. I'm looking forward to what he can do for me.

During the Bills/Colts game the other night, I heard a stat along the lines of 48% of Buffalo's running plays were over 4 yards last year. This was the highest in the league, and I have to think that having someone like Spiller breaking off these runs instead of Jackson will only make this number stay the same or rise. The offensive line is bad, but the must have done a somewhat decent job run blocking to put up that percentage. This line has had another year to make improvements along with the addition of Chan Gailey's offense that allowed Tyler Thigpen to look good..

I'm not saying the Bills are all the sudden going to light the world on fire with their offense, but IMO Spiller is going to shine on an otherwise gloomy team.

One question: Can he pass block?

There's little denying he is explosive with the ball in his hands. But can he pass protect? This lack of skill has kept more than one very talented runner on the bench. Especially when there are a couple other strong alternatives.

I'm on the Spiller train more than I was before however, I think its basically going to be a coin flip between he and Best. Both guys have great similarities in stat lines from college but play a different style of game.

Spiller is going to be a gooder but IMO Best may do a bit more in the passing game and considering right now Best is the goaline guy I think he moves just a bit ahead of him. Spiller could loose some TDs long term esp when his competition come back this season. Long term, he could take over but we'll have to see on that.

I got less than 8 hours until I basically have to decide between the two and from what I can tell, the only thing that will keep us all from debating these two multi years down the line is the ever present injury bug. Spiller def gets a up tick for that.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
I'm not trying to knock him, but as a spiller expert, here are my questions for you:do you really feel he'll be involved in the return game?buffalo's offense basically sucks --- can one guy actually produce td's while dragging that anchor behind him?
The Titans and Jaguars offense also suck but nobody seems to be questioning CJ or MJD.

bo100 said:
i was at the game last nite . other than the big run , the colts starters were throwing him around like a rag doll , i was unimpressed, he looked like quinton griffen......
Well, I'm just now looking at the replay of the game on NFLN, and I'd have to wonder what it is that you were looking at. I just saw two impressive runs by Spiller in the early part of the 2nd quarter of this game. If this had been a full day's work by Spiller, I could easily see a 150+ total yd day here. Again, being able to take a few bits of info/data from here and there in order to piece the whole puzzle together is what I'm striving for. And from the many different bits that I've gathered on this kid, surefire stardom is on the horizon.

C.J Spiller is the Next Chris Johnson :goodposting:
wow, just wow
The next scatback who defies the odds to become a 2500/20 threat? Well, it only took a century or so for the first. I see no reason we shouldn't expect another every year from here on out.
Well it took a century for a runner to score 25 TDs and then in a span of 4 years, 3 different guys did it.
Besides, it didn't take a century...Marshall Faulk played like 10 years ago. You know, the guy who had over 2000 yards 4 times, and over 20 TDs twice?The guy who, albeit in back to back years, had 2429 yards then over 2100 yards and 26 TDs doesn't count? Or the next year with 21 TDs and about the same yardage?huh...I thought 2400 was pretty close to 2500 (threat) and I thought 26 and 21 were both more than 20...

I'm not a Clemson fan but my favorite team plays in the ACC so I've seen him play alot over the years.

He's a special, special talent. A year from today we'll be discussing him as a 1st round FF pick. I love him this year in PPR leagues since you should be able to get him in the 5-7 round range. I fully expect him to light the league on fire from day 1. He's that good.

I'm also high on Best. I think Spiller has slightly more talent and definitely he's more durable but on paper Best's situation is even less risky with a gimpy Kevin Smith providing his only competition.

Back to the point....draft Spiller with confidence this year in redraft PPR leagues. Gailey's track record clearly shows that once he settles on a back he rides him....this won't be a full blown RBBC.

I'm on the Spiller train more than I was before however, I think its basically going to be a coin flip between he and Best. Both guys have great similarities in stat lines from college but play a different style of game.Spiller is going to be a gooder but IMO Best may do a bit more in the passing game and considering right now Best is the goaline guy I think he moves just a bit ahead of him. Spiller could loose some TDs long term esp when his competition come back this season. Long term, he could take over but we'll have to see on that.I got less than 8 hours until I basically have to decide between the two and from what I can tell, the only thing that will keep us all from debating these two multi years down the line is the ever present injury bug. Spiller def gets a up tick for that.
This is not a Spiller vs Best comparison thread (currently an active comparison thread in SP). Like another poster stated earlier, no need to pick sides here as I'm more interested simply in what people think about Spiller. My guesstimate of Spiller's production in 2010.........212 carries for 975 yds 53 rec for 520 yds9 total TDs (maybe 2 via returns)

I'm on the Spiller train more than I was before however, I think its basically going to be a coin flip between he and Best. Both guys have great similarities in stat lines from college but play a different style of game.Spiller is going to be a gooder but IMO Best may do a bit more in the passing game and considering right now Best is the goaline guy I think he moves just a bit ahead of him. Spiller could loose some TDs long term esp when his competition come back this season. Long term, he could take over but we'll have to see on that.I got less than 8 hours until I basically have to decide between the two and from what I can tell, the only thing that will keep us all from debating these two multi years down the line is the ever present injury bug. Spiller def gets a up tick for that.
This is not a Spiller vs Best comparison thread (currently an active comparison thread in SP). Like another poster stated earlier, no need to pick sides here as I'm more interested simply in what people think about Spiller. My guesstimate of Spiller's production in 2010.........212 carries for 975 yds 53 rec for 520 yds9 total TDs (maybe 2 via returns)
That would have made Spiller RB9 in non-PPR last year. Seems a bit high to me.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
in the early going I think they will use him. but once he becomes the starting RB then they will relieve him of those duties.

Users who are viewing this thread