What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cam Newton...what A team leader (1 Viewer)

I've been called a racist numerous times on twitter because I'm not a fan of Cam. It's gotten to a point I don't feel comfortable even talking about it. I'm literally not allowed to not like him now. Why don't I like him? Because I don't believe him. He is calculated and disingenuous. And that makes me racist, apparently. Or not enlightened. Or stupid. Or old school. None of which are true. It is ok that I don't like him. It is well within my right to not like him. It's a very dangerous precedent to be set by labeling anyone that doesn't like him as racist. It's offensive as hell. But that is the overwhelming reaction and narrative. It's wrong.
Lots of things are wrong. Like going on Twitter and saying nasty things about people you don't know.
I never said anything nasty. I said I don't like him and I think he's disingenuous. That is my opinion of him. That's all I've said.
I dont care about u. Stay off twitter

I've been called a racist numerous times on twitter because I'm not a fan of Cam. It's gotten to a point I don't feel comfortable even talking about it. I'm literally not allowed to not like him now. Why don't I like him? Because I don't believe him. He is calculated and disingenuous. And that makes me racist, apparently. Or not enlightened. Or stupid. Or old school. None of which are true. It is ok that I don't like him. It is well within my right to not like him. It's a very dangerous precedent to be set by labeling anyone that doesn't like him as racist. It's offensive as hell. But that is the overwhelming reaction and narrative. It's wrong.
Lots of things are wrong. Like going on Twitter and saying nasty things about people you don't know.
I never said anything nasty. I said I don't like him and I think he's disingenuous. That is my opinion of him. That's all I've said.
See, it's not the same as someone calling Manziel a drunk. Because no one will say, ''Have anything to back that up?'' Because there is something to back that up.

We supposed to feel bad for you because people call you a racist for saying something with nothing to back it up? Maybe you're not a racist, maybe you are just unoriginal, and shouldn't regurgitate venom spouted by Nolan Nawrocki 5 years ago. Let me guess, you think his smile is fake too? Nawrocki used that exact word in his 'scouting report' on Cam. Google Nawrocki, see where he is now. Vanished.

How does anyone call anyone disingenuous without meeting them? It's almost as absurd as calling someone a racist only because they said they didn't like someone.

Do you really not get the irony in this?
I have no idea who Nawrocki is and I don't expect anyone to feel "bad" for me. I'm just observing someone (Cam) that I think is not on the up and up. I think his motivations are for branding and to project an image. Fake. I see people in real life. Day to day life that do this. I see it in him. Again, my opinion of him. Again, has nothing to do with race which is my original point. I could be wrong about him. I could be right about him. But I'm allowed to have an opinion without being called a racist.

You're not paying attention if you don't see the genuine joy on Cam's face when his teammates score a touchdown.

The guy has fun on the field and loves to play. Yes he's a showman. But his celebrations, his enjoyment, it's directed towards the crowd.

He's nothing but respectful off the field when he speaks about other players or teams in pressers, in interviews, etc. He donates his time and is a benefit to the community. He's not getting in trouble, he's not a punk. And he doesn't hide who he is. Seems pretty genuine to me.

See, it's not the same as someone calling Manziel a drunk. Because no one will say, ''Have anything to back that up?'' Because there is something to back that up.

We supposed to feel bad for you because people call you a racist for saying something with nothing to back it up? Maybe you're not a racist, maybe you are just unoriginal, and shouldn't regurgitate venom spouted by Nolan Nawrocki 5 years ago. Let me guess, you think his smile is fake too? Nawrocki used that exact word in his 'scouting report' on Cam. Google Nawrocki, see where he is now. Vanished.

How does anyone call anyone disingenuous without meeting them? It's almost as absurd as calling someone a racist only because they said they didn't like someone.

I have no idea who Nawrocki is and I don't expect anyone to feel "bad" for me. I'm just observing someone (Cam) that I think is not on the up and up. I think his motivations are for branding and to project an image. Fake. I see people in real life. Day to day life that do this. I see it in him. Again, my opinion of him. Again, has nothing to do with race which is my original point. I could be wrong about him. I could be right about him. But I'm allowed to have an opinion without being called a racist.
Why can't people have an opinion that you are racist?

Media is trying so hard to make this a race thing with people not liking Cam. Certainly there is a small percentage that's true but the vast majority of haters dislike him because he acts like a #### on the field.

Glad to hear he does all this charity. That's awesome.

The ball thing. Meh. It's great and all but is this how low the bar is set?

Media is trying so hard to make this a race thing with people not liking Cam. Certainly there is a small percentage that's true but the vast majority of haters dislike him because he acts like a #### on the field.

And yet when Brady curses out refs he's a competitor. When Favre ran around like a 4 year old on the field after a score it was about a love of the game and him enjoying himself. When Rodgers does his thing its cool and it becomes a national ad campaign. I wonder what the difference is between those guys and Cam? I can't quite put my finger on it.

Discount double check is the most arrogant and asinine of celebrations and Rodgers gets a welcoming campaign filled with ads. Cam does a couple simple dance moves and people are losing their minds.

Get off my lawn.

Media is trying so hard to make this a race thing with people not liking Cam. Certainly there is a small percentage that's true.
Yup. They go to Trump rallies and chant "USA USA USA!!!"

We'll find out if they're a small percentage or not between Monday and November.

And yet when Brady curses out refs he's a competitor. When Favre ran around like a 4 year old on the field after a score it was about a love of the game and him enjoying himself. When Rodgers does his thing its cool and it becomes a national ad campaign. I wonder what the difference is between those guys and Cam? I can't quite put my finger on it.
You see Rodgers discount double check thing is lame. Brady #####ing at refs lame makes him look like a baby at times. Before someone realizes I'm a Seahawk fan and points out Sherman acts like a dickwad, I'll save you the time yes he acted a fool and I wouldn't like that either but hey he kicks ### for my team so sure I'm rooting for him.

Back to Cam who the cares that this guy is black?

His little superman thing and his dance he does is dumb to me. Has zero to do with his race. Spare me the he's just having fun spiel. Think most people today feel the same.

I don't really even root against Cam just don't like his schtick on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Discount double check is the most arrogant and asinine of celebrations and Rodgers gets a welcoming campaign filled with ads. Cam does a couple simple dance moves and people are losing their minds.

Get off my lawn.
People are going CRAZY! This is a story because there is nothing else to talk about for 2 weeks.

Get off my lawn.
People are going CRAZY! This is a story because there is nothing else to talk about for 2 weeks.
It is a damn shame football season is just about over... gone so soon as always.

Get off my lawn.
It is a damn shame football season is just about over... gone so soon as always.
Agreed on that. Hope we get a great last game.

His little superman thing and his dance he does is dumb to me. Has zero to do with his race. Spare me the he's just having fun spiel. Think most people today feel the same.

Most people would love Cam's schtick of dominating, if it was for their team.

That seems to be the key here, if you like the team you like cam. If you don't, you'll find him arrogant.

I've been called a racist numerous times on twitter because I'm not a fan of Cam. It's gotten to a point I don't feel comfortable even talking about it. I'm literally not allowed to not like him now. Why don't I like him? Because I don't believe him. He is calculated and disingenuous. And that makes me racist, apparently. Or not enlightened. Or stupid. Or old school. None of which are true. It is ok that I don't like him. It is well within my right to not like him. It's a very dangerous precedent to be set by labeling anyone that doesn't like him as racist. It's offensive as hell. But that is the overwhelming reaction and narrative. It's wrong. I truly believe that one day he will be exposed for the fraud I believe him to be. Until then, out of fear, I have to lurk. And watch. And wait. We shall see.....

Last thing: I have felt this way about him since he was at Auburn. It has nothing to do with him beating my Seahawks twice this season. Totally unrelated.
Not hear to defend him because I know I can't change a person's mind/opinion. However, I will say this. If you think the Cam you see today is the one you saw at Auburn, you haven't paid attention to HIM. You've simply watched highlights on TV and fallen for the soundbytes by "commentators" on TV....which is unfortunate.

I've been called a racist numerous times on twitter because I'm not a fan of Cam. It's gotten to a point I don't feel comfortable even talking about it. I'm literally not allowed to not like him now. Why don't I like him? Because I don't believe him. He is calculated and disingenuous. And that makes me racist, apparently. Or not enlightened. Or stupid. Or old school. None of which are true. It is ok that I don't like him. It is well within my right to not like him. It's a very dangerous precedent to be set by labeling anyone that doesn't like him as racist. It's offensive as hell. But that is the overwhelming reaction and narrative. It's wrong. I truly believe that one day he will be exposed for the fraud I believe him to be. Until then, out of fear, I have to lurk. And watch. And wait. We shall see.....

Last thing: I have felt this way about him since he was at Auburn. It has nothing to do with him beating my Seahawks twice this season. Totally unrelated.
Not hear to defend him because I know I can't change a person's mind/opinion. However, I will say this. If you think the Cam you see today is the one you saw at Auburn, you haven't paid attention to HIM. You've simply watched highlights on TV and fallen for the soundbytes by "commentators" on TV....which is unfortunate.
Great point and honestly might be the best argument to say he's genuinely enjoying playing. When he first got to Carolina he had a fantastic start and when they lost a few he did sulk and you could see his demeanor drop. That's part of his growth as a player and a person. He's changed quite a bit and he wouldn't be a team leader on such a close knit team if he was fake. You wouldn't see the reactions you do on long term NFL/short term Panthers players like Jared Allen and Charles Tillman if he was fake. Would Allen say that if he plays in 2016 that it will only be in Charlotte if the team leader was fake?I can easily see the points of view of non-Panther fans, but from a Panther fan who's seen him since his rookie season, he's not the kid he was in college or the sulking rookie.

Let me tell you a little story about Cam Newton.

About two years ago I was working at an event where we brought in donated backpacks, supplies, and food products for less fortunate children across North Carolina. This was at a sweaty little warehouse in Monroe, NC, a little town about 45 minutes from Charlotte on a Tuesday morning in the early summer. I had decided to do volunteer work because a friend of mine was heavily involved in the project and there were probably about 30 of us working there that day.

After I had been there for a few hours, I noticed everyone getting really excited, which was odd because we were all sweating and exhausted from putting this stuff together all day. It turns out, Cam Newton and Philly Brown had heard about the event and decided to show up to help. They brought a few dozen backpacks that they had picked up that morning, along with tons of supplies. They also stayed around a few hours and helped us complete the days work before taking photos with some of us as they headed back into the city.

This was never reported. There was not a single camera there other than the cell phones that some people took pictures with. To this day, I've never seen this reported on, I've never seen video, and outside of a few people who have pictures on their cell phone of meeting Cam and Philly that day, very few people outside of that room even knew what he did.

Prior to that day I was a fan of the football player Cam Newton was. After that point, I started to pay a little more attention to the things that he does outside of the game to make people happy. Things like showing up randomly to a fan party on one of his few off days to surprise people. Going to a pre-Halloween block party for a little girl who likely wouldn't make it to that day. Things as simple as photobombing fans who he happened to pass by while riding his hoverboard in Charlotte. Those are the little things, not the charity work and other good he does around Charlotte and the country.

Does he have an image that he's trying to get across? Absolutely, we all do. Especially celebrities. But, does that mean that he isn't someone who seems to genuinely care about the community and his fans?

Yeah, he made some mistakes in his life. I certainly did when I was young and dumb in college. A man is defined not by his past but by the person that he ultimately becomes...and Cam Newton has grown into a man. A man that loves to have fun, dance, and can be a little brash at times, but he's playing a GAME...and I defy you to find many people who love the game as much as he does.

Edit: One more note. For those saying that they didn't like him or his demeanor, etc. since Auburn. You have every right to feel that way. Hell, his own teammates didn't vote him as a Captain in his first two years as the starting QB. That's almost unheard of in NFL circles. That's the past though...he has changed. His teammates have bought into the player and the man that's he's become. Sometimes growing up is hard and it takes time to develop into the person that you become, and he's done that. He's not just a captain now, he's a leader, the lifeblood of the team, and someone who has an attitude that is infectious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most people would love Cam's schtick of dominating, if it was for their team.

That seems to be the key here, if you like the team you like cam. If you don't, you'll find him arrogant.
Yes. It's not that hard to figure out. On the whole people who are meh on him are not racists they think he's an ###.

Great post solorca. My wife was at ****'s before xmas the day he came through and his charity gave a bunch of kids $200 each for a shopping spree - although this was well-covered by media, etc., she commented on how he made a point of going around to speak to as many kids as possible to ask about what they were buying, etc. - he was riding around the store on a razor scooter just having fun.

Great post solorca. My wife was at ****'s before xmas the day he came through and his charity gave a bunch of kids $200 each for a shopping spree - although this was well-covered by media, etc., she commented on how he made a point of going around to speak to as many kids as possible to ask about what they were buying, etc. - he was riding around the store on a razor scooter just having fun.
Razor scooter in #####…shows little concern for the safety of others. Also shows laziness not to be walking.

I bet the 800 kids that Cam helped feed last Thanksgiving think he's genuine.
Or the kid with a fatal cancer who was having an early.Halloween that Cam showd up for. No camera crews just Cam with ice cream and brownies.
Trying to make a kid with cancer fat and give him diabetes seems pretty disingenuous.
Yeah, and if he hadn't been screwing off and getting fat they may have beaten Atlanta too.

Razor scooter in #####…shows little concern for the safety of others. Also shows laziness not to be walking.
Selfish *******

You see Rodgers discount double check thing is lame. Brady #####ing at refs lame makes him look like a baby at times. Before someone realizes I'm a Seahawk fan and points out Sherman acts like a dickwad, I'll save you the time yes he acted a fool and I wouldn't like that either but hey he kicks ### for my team so sure I'm rooting for him.

Back to Cam who the cares that this guy is black?

He is having fun and lots of it.

You're not paying attention if you don't see the genuine joy on Cam's face when his teammates score a touchdown.
Genuine is a tough thing, especially when you consider that his teammates scoring a TD typically is a good thing for him as well (more scores means team doing better in the game). I think he does seem to enjoy watching his guys succeed, but it is tough to say whether it is completely selfless or not just based on appearance, especially since it is also good for him. Hard to read a guys heart by watching a reaction in front of cameras.

Great point and honestly might be the best argument to say he's genuinely enjoying playing. When he first got to Carolina he had a fantastic start and when they lost a few he did sulk and you could see his demeanor drop. That's part of his growth as a player and a person. He's changed quite a bit and he wouldn't be a team leader on such a close knit team if he was fake. You wouldn't see the reactions you do on long term NFL/short term Panthers players like Jared Allen and Charles Tillman if he was fake. Would Allen say that if he plays in 2016 that it will only be in Charlotte if the team leader was fake?I can easily see the points of view of non-Panther fans, but from a Panther fan who's seen him since his rookie season, he's not the kid he was in college or the sulking rookie.
I can see it too if they simply settle for what the media is covering. I don't really have a problem dismissing those who rely on the media coverage to form a complete opinion of him either. It's lazy and severely under informed.

I am not a fan of Carolina at all.

I am not a Cam Newton fan. Do not care if he does well or crappy.

He is pretty arrogant.

His superman thing is ridiculously dumb.

His elbow thing or whatever that is is also ridiculous.

that said...........

I absolutely love watching him play and love watching him do those ridiculous things. It's football. Football is a sport. Sports are entertainment. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?!?!!?!?!?

I bet the 800 kids that Cam helped feed last Thanksgiving think he's genuine.
Or the kid with a fatal cancer who was having an early.Halloween that Cam showd up for. No camera crews just Cam with ice cream and brownies.
Trying to make a kid with cancer fat and give him diabetes seems pretty disingenuous.
Oh, man, that would have gotten a like but I used all mine.

The "I'm not racist, but..." stuff usually plays well in Free for All, I'm sure they'd welcome you.

Meanwhile the rest of us will be watching NFL MVP Cam Newton doing cool backflip TDs.

This is a good post. Cam is immature and an embarrassment to himself. He acts like an a$$ clown on the field and is certainly not someone worthy of admiration or respect.

Did he have a great season? Sure. Is his team going to win tomorrow? Probably. And he's going to have quite a few chances to do some silly little dances and idiotic poses, and people will say it's ok because he's having so much fun.

Um, no. It isn't. He's a joke. No amount of Superbowls or MVPs will change that as long as he continues making a fool of himself. This is the same guy who was embroiled in a recruiting scandal in college and managed to conveniently shift the blame to his father, all the while professing his ignorance.

So he's either a complete dirt bag or a complete moron. Judging by the utterly idiotic way he behaves, I'm inclined to believe the former. But hey, if he just turns out to be colossally stupid and nothing else, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Cam is great but this is a team game. I have the utmost confidence that the Broncos will win the Super Bowl.

This is a good post. Cam is immature and an embarrassment to himself. He acts like an ### clown on the field and is certainly not someone worthy of admiration or respect.

Did he have a great season? Sure. Is his team going to win tomorrow? Probably. And he's going to have quite a few chances to do some silly little dances and idiotic poses, and people will say it's ok because he's having so much fun.

Um, no. It isn't. He's a joke. No amount of Superbowls or MVPs will change that as long as he continues making a fool of himself. This is the same guy who was embroiled in a recruiting scandal in college and managed to conveniently shift the blame to his father, all the while professing his ignorance.

So he's either a complete dirt bag or a complete moron. Judging by the utterly idiotic way he behaves, I'm inclined to believe the former. But hey, if he just turns out to be colossally stupid and nothing else, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
I can't really call someone a dirt bag for accepting money from a college under the table to play there. At all. The people giving him the money would be considered the dirt bags if anyone in that situation was going to be called out on it.

I think you just strained some vocal chords yelling "get off my lawn" as loud as you can.

And what's wrong with the ball thing? These guys aren't allowed to do a whole lot else without yellow laundry littering the field.

I bet all the people who are calling Cam a "clown" and the like always act with the utmost professionalism and decorum.

This is a good post. Cam is immature and an embarrassment to himself. He acts like an ### clown on the field and is certainly not someone worthy of admiration or respect.

No, it's not a good post and neither is yours. JJ Watt said this "If Cam scores, he deserves to dance. Football is a game, it's supposed to be fun. I dance after sacks... It's a game". You must have a beef with JJ too and all of the others who like to be entertaining, or is it just Cam?

Unless you are opposed to Rodgers' double check, the Lambeau leap, the Ickey shuffle, etc in addition to Cam's antics then you are a full of #### SEC rooting racist.

If you are opposed to all TD celebrations then you are just a grumpy old man.

Sucks to be you.

I've never seen a butt hurt like the butt hurt SEC fans have for Cam. He is that good, that years later they all still talk about him like he facialized their girlfriend. I thought the SEC always rooted for each other when their team didn't make the championship game?

I bet all the people who are calling Cam a "clown" and the like always act with the utmost professionalism and decorum.
well, they probably never danced after a touchdown in the NFL.

Unless you are opposed to Rodgers' double check, the Lambeau leap, the Ickey shuffle, etc in addition to Cam's antics then you are a full of #### SEC rooting racist.

If you are opposed to all TD celebrations then you are just a grumpy old man.

Sucks to be you.
:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread