What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can We Civilly Discuss Thoughts On Vaccination? A Poll. (3 Viewers)

Where would you land among these descriptions?

• Vaccinated and no regret

Votes: 292 82.5%
  • Vaccinated but some regret

Votes: 18 5.1%
  • Not Vaccinated and don't plan to

Votes: 32 9.0%
  • Not Vaccinated but considering it

Votes: 12 3.4%

• Total voters
Ive definitely seen them non-stop but they are not advertisements from the vaccine makers but from NYC Dept of Health. And yes many of them are now targeted to children. The Big Bird, Elmo ads are from Facebook so not sure if those are legit.
:confused:   Are you talking about something like a PSA or are they actually trying to sell something to kids?  In my view there's a difference between a public service announcement and an advertisement.

:confused:   Are you talking about something like a PSA or are they actually trying to sell something to kids?  In my view there's a difference between a public service announcement and an advertisement.
I dont think so. A PSA is an advertisement. A PSA from Big Bird to children is an advertisement to children.

noun

a notice or announcement in a public medium promoting a product, service, or event or publicizing a job vacancy.

I dont think so. A PSA is an advertisement. A PSA from Big Bird to children is an advertisement to children.

noun

a notice or announcement in a public medium promoting a product, service, or event or publicizing a job vacancy.
I follow now.  Like most, when I hear "advertisement" I was thinking of those of trying to sell things.  To be more specific, would you consider what you are seeing being closer to the PSA variety or sales variety?

I follow now.  Like most, when I hear "advertisement" I was thinking of those of trying to sell things.  To be more specific, would you consider what you are seeing being closer to the PSA variety or sales variety?
PSA

Why target children in a PSA to get the vaccine when children aren't the ones making the decision. Yeah I get theyve done it in the past. Does that make it right? Would I lose my #### over it like some people are? Not really.

I don't think so. A PSA is an advertisement. A PSA from Big Bird to children is an advertisement to children.
Not all advertisement seeks to elicit a financial transaction (e.g. ads for consumer products). In this case, I think Big Bird speaks on the matter to help elicit a sense of ease in children that may soon be receiving the shot.

At the same time, parents who see the Big Bird PSA/ad may influenced to feel that COVID vaccines "are for kids, too". That's a more diffuse, looser notion, of course.

Not all advertisement seeks to elicit a financial transaction (e.g. ads for consumer products). In this case, I think Big Bird speaks on the matter to help elicit a sense of ease in children that may soon be receiving the shot.

At the same time, parents who see the Big Bird PSA/ad may influenced to feel that COVID vaccines "are for kids, too". That's a more diffuse, looser notion, of course.
I never said they did. @The Commish seems to think so

PSA

Why target children in a PSA to get the vaccine when children aren't the ones making the decision. Yeah I get theyve done it in the past. Does that make it right? Would I lose my #### over it like some people are? Not really.
Thanks....I don't find it unreasonable, especially in this day and age of fear mongering and end of the world shtick that our kids are FULLY aware of no matter how much we trying and shield them from it, to have a PSA saying, hey, not a big deal.  You'll be just fine.

We've made it a policy to keep our kids in the discussion.  We have kids at 4, 10 and 14 and some of the stuff our 4 year old comes back from school with is pretty shocking.  So, we've decided to keep them in the discussion and had talks about it multiple times.  Yes, they need our permission to get the shot, but it's important to us that they be comfortable with it.  Things like the PSA help in that communication.  

na....not even close as illustrated in the comment you responded to before this one.
So you didn't say this?

Are you talking about something like a PSA or are they actually trying to sell something to kids?  In my view there's a difference between a public service announcement and an advertisement.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you didn't say this?
Ignoring my gut and providing benefit of the doubt, I'll give this one shot.

Doug B stated:

Not all advertisement seeks to elicit a financial transaction (e.g. ads for consumer products).
You replied that I thought so while quoting this: 

Are you talking about something like a PSA or are they actually trying to sell something to kids?
This is an illustration that I understand the different types of advertisement and was asking for you to make a distinction since the most common use of advertisement IS in the sales arena, but that didn't make sense in context, so I asked the question.

You clarified by providing the definition you were using and then I asked for one last clarification on whether you felt it was closer to the PSA side or the sales side (again acknowledging the differences) and you said:

PSA

I then gave an answer for why a PSA for kids was helpful to us and then needed to go through this nonsense to clarify even further.  Should be rather clear I understand the existence of different kinds of advertisement.  

Ignoring my gut and providing benefit of the doubt, I'll give this one shot.

Doug B stated:

You replied that I thought so while quoting this: 

This is an illustration that I understand the different types of advertisement and was asking for you to make a distinction since the most common use of advertisement IS in the sales arena, but that didn't make sense in context, so I asked the question.

You clarified by providing the definition you were using and then I asked for one last clarification on whether you felt it was closer to the PSA side or the sales side (again acknowledging the differences) and you said:

I then gave an answer for why a PSA for kids was helpful to us and then needed to go through this nonsense to clarify even further.  Should be rather clear I understand the existence of different kinds of advertisement.  
Then why did you say this?

In my view there's a difference between a public service announcement and an advertisement.

Users who are viewing this thread