What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (5 Viewers)

Hydration culture. My kids have these gigantic water bottles they carry around everywhere. Usually at night they dump half of it. It’s a weird status thing. My daughter looked at my hunting thermos and was like “oh cool you have an old school Stanley.” I’m like yeah. I’ve had it since 1995.

Hydration culture. My kids have these gigantic water bottles they carry around everywhere. Usually at night they dump half of it. It’s a weird status thing. My daughter looked at my hunting thermos and was like “oh cool you have an old school Stanley.” I’m like yeah. I’ve had it since 1995.
Watch Shrinking on AppleTV. Funny show with a small, funny hydration culture story line.

Every application for any job these days includes a way to apply online. In that, you attach your resume. Then, in several of them, they have a questionnaire attached to weed people out Id guess. Well, those questions, are exactly what is on the resume. Why even ask for a resume if you are just going to have me summarize my education and work experience in the questions anyway?
Yes, it's to weed out the lazy, easily annoyed, or others that aren't really all that interested in actually working but just apply because why not. You can't be bothered to put forth a little extra effort to actually GET the job? I can't imagine how poor that work ethic will be once you have it.

Every application for any job these days includes a way to apply online. In that, you attach your resume. Then, in several of them, they have a questionnaire attached to weed people out Id guess. Well, those questions, are exactly what is on the resume. Why even ask for a resume if you are just going to have me summarize my education and work experience in the questions anyway?
Yes, it's to weed out the lazy, easily annoyed, or others that aren't really all that interested in actually working but just apply because why not. You can't be bothered to put forth a little extra effort to actually GET the job? I can't imagine how poor that work ethic will be once you have it.
Agreed, in general don't mind this, just a bunch of copying and pasting.

As has been stated, answering all of the automated questions when calling and then needing to repeat the same info to the live agent is maddening. If they are doing it just to keep the caller occupied, at least make it fun, like a trivia contest, or worst case some demographic questions.

I mentioned that before and got pretty beat up for it LOL.
I mean you cant go a couple hours with some water?

Lazy and easily annoyed...odd, seems more that its redundant and has no real purpose. As some of these jobs are actually for efficiency type work as an auditor, I find it very inefficient use of anyone's time.
Especially seeing as people are just going to copy and paste from a resume. That does not show a thing about work ethic at all.
Extra effort isn't a problem. Ask me other questions (and some do) to get to know more about who I am as a worker. Asking to restate what I have already attached on a resume isn't that...it isn't extra effort, its pointless effort. Some of these have sent follow up surveys as a first round of interview. With actual pertinent questions about me and about the job and my understanding of things. Those were great and obviously served a real purpose. Asking my education and job history that is clearly listed on any resume...redundant and awful.

Last edited:
A couple hours sure but I have no problems with my kid taking a water jug to school. She's there 7am to almost 5 every day, and it beats having to time water fountains between classes :shrug:

Hotels with slow WiFi. It's 2023. There is no reason why any hotel that is part of a major chain should have bandwidth speeds that are less than 5 megabits per second. Its a basic utility like water or electricity now. I travel frequently and it's shocking how many business traveler focused hotels have trash internet service providers where you can't get work done.
Hotels in and near cities have no excuse for this. They're just skimping on paying for broadband. Hotels and Airbnb places in lesser-populated areas often only have 1 or 2 crappy choices for broadband. Broadband rollout isn't anywhere near what the broadband providers say it is. But the providers pay Congress well so this continues.

A couple hours sure but I have no problems with my kid taking a water jug to school. She's there 7am to almost 5 every day, and it beats having to time water fountains between classes :shrug:
Of for sure. If the kid can't get water exactly when needed, and cant time it right, he might DIE!

People who pay cash for gas
Yet another reason to go to Sam's/Costco... they don't take cash for gas

The I don’t care which side the tank is on but the hose will reach even if I am 4 feet from the pump. Spoiler the pump hose won’t reach.
I go opposite side at Costco quite often and it ALWAYS reaches.
Me too. Always reaches
TWSS

My issue with these water bottles is the noise they make when the are dropped onto hard surfaces. It's so jarring in it's sudden loudness. Can't we make softer water cannisters that don't sound like a gun shot when they're dropped on the kitchen floor?

I get very frustrated with drivers that don't keep close enough to car in front of them in drive throughs. This morning I pulled into a Starbucks drive through and the car in front of me had just ordered and proceeded to move so half its car was still in front of speaker blocking me from ordering. There was at least a car length in between the car in front of them to move up. I had to wait 2 minutes extra to order my coffee.

I'm not some super tree hugger -- I keep a canvas bag in my car to bring to the grocery store, and 99 times out of 100 I forget to bring it in with me -- but I do try not to be needlessly wasteful. Also, while I like to have a few extra plastic bags around the house to line small garbage cans or carry wet clothes, there is such a thing as too much.

All of which is to say that it drives me crazy that baggers at grocery stores seem to have been specifically instructed to put as few items in each bag as possible. If I make a quick run to Publix to buy five items, I don't need to be walking out of there with three plastic bags. Seriously, what's the deal with that? My only explanation is that they want to avoid at all costs the possibility that a bag might be overstuffed, and that the apples might get bruised by bumping up against the carton of milk. But they truly take it beyond any rational level.
There used to be an art to packing groceries, preferably in a flat bottom paper bag. Cans on the bottom and lighter/crushable items on top. Because of the flat rectangular bottom and weight distribution these bags would remain upright and undamaged through even the bumpiest of car rides. Yes, my first job was bagging groceries.
This!

Also deli meat. The old hags of yesteryear would essentially vacuum seal all the air out of the bags so the meat stayed fresh. Now they hand you a Chinese spy balloon.

I try to do the bagging on the rare occasion I go to the grocery store with the wife.

Last edited:
Going to the deli, ever. Hands the the most miserable, unhappy people on earth. I mean they have a right to be but I just hate dealing with them.
When my dad was a kid, his parents ran a deli, and my grandmother lost two of her fingers in a slicer accident. So no matter how poorly they treat me, I always feel a sympathetic tug when I'm dealing with them, knowing the dangers they face

This!

Also deli meat. The old hags of yesteryear would essentially vacuum seal all the air out of the bags so the meat stayed fresh. Now they hand you a Chinese spy balloon.

Haven't noticed this at the deli, but my wife does this with Ziploc bags in general. It's right at the edge of "Not important enough to worry about" and "Really annoying and non-sensical." Things end up taking up far too much room in the fridge/freezer, and I'm always worried I'll end up accidentally popping the bag and spilling its messy contents

Going to the deli, ever. Hands the the most miserable, unhappy people on earth. I mean they have a right to be but I just hate dealing with them.

at $10+/lb for regular ham that used to be $3 - $4/lb not long ago, I don't go near the deli counter anymore. Regular deli meat is more expensive than steak on sale (and some cut of steak is on sale almost every week.

For sandwich meat, we buy the half hams on sale in the meat case for $0.99 - $1.99/lb - and cook and then slice them. Even better - pork tenderloins on sale ($3 - $4/lb) - cook and slice them - melt in your mouth.

and yeah, occasionally, I'll be lazy and buy a 1 lb pkg of Oscar Meyer sliced deli meat - but it's still $7/lb.

at $10+/lb for regular ham that used to be $3 - $4/lb not long ago, I don't go near the deli counter anymore. Regular deli meat is more expensive than steak on sale (and some cut of steak is on sale almost every week.

For sandwich meat, we buy the half hams on sale in the meat case for $0.99 - $1.99/lb - and cook and then slice them. Even better - pork tenderloins on sale ($3 - $4/lb) - cook and slice them - melt in your mouth.

and yeah, occasionally, I'll be lazy and buy a 1 lb pkg of Oscar Meyer sliced deli meat - but it's still $7/lb.
I never even considered this is an option. We’ve been eyeing a meat slicer for making jerky. If we can do this it will further justify that purchase. Thank you.

I’m at a hotel this morning and sit at a table to eat breakfast and I swear the table was at shoulder level. I’m 6’1” and I feel like I’m a pre-schooler sitting at the big kids table.
How hard is to get a table and chair that match?

I’m at a hotel this morning and sit at a table to eat breakfast and I swear the table was at shoulder level. I’m 6’1” and I feel like I’m a pre-schooler sitting at the big kids table.
Covid, supply-chain issues, inflation, climate change, staffing shortages, snowstorms, train derailments. It's all hard now.

While I'm on my grocery store rant....

Not rotating stock. When the new stuff comes in you, you pull the old stuff towards the front and put the new in the back, rinse, and repeat. If its not an item that often sells out you can end up with some seriously old items in the back.

:pics:

Hotels with slow WiFi. It's 2023. There is no reason why any hotel that is part of a major chain should have bandwidth speeds that are less than 5 megabits per second. Its a basic utility like water or electricity now. I travel frequently and it's shocking how many business traveler focused hotels have trash internet service providers where you can't get work done.
Hotels in and near cities have no excuse for this. They're just skimping on paying for broadband. Hotels and Airbnb places in lesser-populated areas often only have 1 or 2 crappy choices for broadband. Broadband rollout isn't anywhere near what the broadband providers say it is. But the providers pay Congress well so this continues.
And I'm 97% sure that the "Free Premium WiFi" that all hotel guests can get, and the "Ultra-Fast High Speed WiFi" that you can get for free if you're a Platinum or Titanium Rewards Member status are the same exact slow-as-molasses speeds. My cellphone hotspot with one bar of signal is often faster than your Ultra-Fast BS, Marriott.

Not rotating stock. When the new stuff comes in you, you pull the old stuff towards the front and put the new in the back, rinse, and repeat. If its not an item that often sells out you can end up with some seriously old items in the back.
My wife is the bane of the grocery stockers because of this. When she chooses an item off the shelf, she wants the one in the very back because (according to her) it's the freshest, has the latest expiration date, and it's less germy because some rando hasn't already picked it up, looked at it, sneezed on it, and decided against it and put it back down in front for someone else to touch.

I get very frustrated with drivers that don't keep close enough to car in front of them in drive throughs. This morning I pulled into a Starbucks drive through and the car in front of me had just ordered and proceeded to move so half its car was still in front of speaker blocking me from ordering. There was at least a car length in between the car in front of them to move up. I had to wait 2 minutes extra to order my coffee.
Meanwhile you can hear the person inside on the speaker box going "Welcome to X can I take your order please?" and you're not close enough to answer, but when you get up to it and can order properly they've given up on you by then and have gone in the back for their break :)

My wife is the bane of the grocery stockers because of this. When she chooses an item off the shelf, she wants the one in the very back because (according to her) it's the freshest, has the latest expiration date, and it's less germy because some rando hasn't already picked it up, looked at it, sneezed on it, and decided against it and put it back down in front for someone else to touch.
And she's right...

The customer service line of "Is there anything else I can help you with?" is equivalent to "Did you want fries with that?"

If I needed more help or fries I'd ask for more help or fries.

Good Lord am I petty. :bag:

I’m with your wife here…

I’m with your wife here…
Stockers like it when customers keep the front of the shelves stocked.

The customer service line of "Is there anything else I can help you with?" is equivalent to "Did you want fries with that?"

I am in customer service and end every call with it after I recap what we've done. It's a verbal queue for "did we conquer everything?" Aka "did I f*** anything up?"

There are definitely items where I choose the latest date. Salads/prepped food/milk. If they don't rotate that helps me because the best is always at the front!

I am in customer service and end every call with it after I recap what we've done. It's a verbal queue for "did we conquer everything?" Aka "did I f*** anything up?"
Well okay then.

Lazy and easily annoyed...odd, seems more that its redundant and has no real purpose. As some of these jobs are actually for efficiency type work as an auditor, I find it very inefficient use of anyone's time.
Especially seeing as people are just going to copy and paste from a resume. That does not show a thing about work ethic at all.
Extra effort isn't a problem. Ask me other questions (and some do) to get to know more about who I am as a worker. Asking to restate what I have already attached on a resume isn't that...it isn't extra effort, its pointless effort. Some of these have sent follow up surveys as a first round of interview. With actual pertinent questions about me and about the job and my understanding of things. Those were great and obviously served a real purpose. Asking my education and job history that is clearly listed on any resume...redundant and awful.

They have a database and are having you, the applicant, do the data entry.

I’m with your wife here…
Same. Plus the store sort of deserves it for charging more for everything while also paying fewer employees. Now customers have to do all the work, dig for items in the back, and then scan and bag their own stuff after waiting in a long line of other folks doing the same thing.

People who say these:

"you're not wrong"
" I don't disagree"
I actually like these and use them from time to time. Coming from me, they mean "I acknowledge that your position is reasonable" without implying affirmative agreement or disagreement.

More generally, I think the English language could benefit from having more ways to indicate various degrees of agreement or degrees of disagreement. Nice, handy, aesthetic ways of communicating things like the following:

"That seems like a plausible point of view -- I don't personally have an opinion one way or the other."

"I don't agree, but it doesn't really matter to me."

"I disagree, but your point of view is reasonable. Let's just agree to disagree."

"I disagree, and I think you're making a real error. You should reconsider."

"I strongly disagree and I don't know if we can continue to be friends."

I know this is kind of like the Eskimos having 17 words for snow, or whatever. I would just like to have more idioms that capture these sorts of nuances.

I'm not some super tree hugger -- I keep a canvas bag in my car to bring to the grocery store, and 99 times out of 100 I forget to bring it in with me -- but I do try not to be needlessly wasteful. Also, while I like to have a few extra plastic bags around the house to line small garbage cans or carry wet clothes, there is such a thing as too much.

All of which is to say that it drives me crazy that baggers at grocery stores seem to have been specifically instructed to put as few items in each bag as possible. If I make a quick run to Publix to buy five items, I don't need to be walking out of there with three plastic bags. Seriously, what's the deal with that? My only explanation is that they want to avoid at all costs the possibility that a bag might be overstuffed, and that the apples might get bruised by bumping up against the carton of milk. But they truly take it beyond any rational level.
Went to Publix tonight and bought two items: a bag of grapes and a loaf of bread. Bagger was all set to put each item in a separate bag until I stopped him

Went to Publix tonight and bought two items: a bag of grapes and a loaf of bread. Bagger was all set to put each item in a separate bag until I stopped him
In my early bagging experience it was only little old ladies who wanted a zillion bags because they couldn't lift a properly packed bag. Judging by your avatar, you aren't a little old lady.

eff that, two bags for me, yes - they ain't squashing my grapes

Cooking shows/videos...with people wearing black gloves. Stop...the black gloves doesn't make you any cooler. Nor do you have to slice your steak and do the little finger over maneuver. Quit trying to be like overrated Salt Bae.

Also, we get it, you seared the steak well, I don’t need to see you scrape your knife over the crust you created.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]

eff that, two bags for me, yes - they ain't squashing my grapes
[/QUOTE]
This is a major pet peeve of mine. You have 2 items that were packaged in a bag so why do you need 2 additional bags to carry them out of the store?
I grab my grapes and bread and stroll out of the store with no bags.

Users who are viewing this thread