What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (4 Viewers)

My daughter has two avocado stuffed animals. She had one named eva. Recently got another one. Both gifts. I have no idea what name the newer one is.

I learned the other day that the reason she named the avocado eva is because that is her teachers first name. I thought that was cute.

I told my wife. She asked me several questions wanting more detail. What did she name the new one? Did she always name her eva after her teacher or did she learn later that her teacher's name was eva? Why did she tell you this? How did it come up? Did she tell her teacher? Which one does she like better?...

Literally everything I tell my wife these days has a long list of follow up questions that to me seem pretty pointless

Not sure if she has always been this way and I was more tolerant of it when I didn't have a messed up leg and a temporary living situation and an insurance company that is making our lives miserable, but Jesus Christ.

Don't even get me started on when she asked me what a hook and hold was.

I am guessing this is why so many husbands start answering "I don't know" as a pavlovian response.

To use a bit of Reddit jargon - I ask you fellow peevers, AITA here?

Typical situation: We're at a restaurant - everyone is done eating, we're waiting on the check. Server comes over and asks how everything was, do we want dessert, or are we ready for the check? Check please. Server comes back 5+ minutes later, drops off the check, and disappears. 10 minutes it feels like before they return to pick up the check with my card and go run it, then they bring it back and I sign and we leave.

So now, when we're done and I'm ready for the check, I pull my card out of my wallet and sit with it in my hand on the table. I figure I can save 10-15 minutes of time - it signals that I want the check so no need to come ask, and no more dropping off the check and disappearing again. My wife hates that I do this and thinks it's rude to the server, implying to them that I think they're being slow.

This is another area where Europe has figured this out, but we haven't. Over there most if not all restaurants have the waiters carry around those portable credit card readers so you can settle the bill at the same time as the check arrives. It's so much faster and safer because your credit card doesn't disappear for 10 minutes.
Almost everywhere I've been lately has those. Love it.

Pretty wide intersection but low traffic volume. The side street has a left turn lane and a straight lane in both directions. No left turn arrow.

So I'm in left turn lane. There is 2 cars in my direction. 2 cars in opposite direction in the straight/right turn lane.

Light turns green, I slowly enter intersection to turn left. Opposite direction lady is TURNING FREAKING RIGHT and she decides to stop and then wave me to go. I refused she gets pissy and punches it to turn right smh .
If she would have just turned right she would have been gone before I made it into the intersection.....WTF you're not helping!!;;

Pretty wide intersection but low traffic volume. The side street has a left turn lane and a straight lane in both directions. No left turn arrow.

So I'm in left turn lane. There is 2 cars in my direction. 2 cars in opposite direction in the straight/right turn lane.

Light turns green, I slowly enter intersection to turn left. Opposite direction lady is TURNING FREAKING RIGHT and she decides to stop and then wave me to go. I refused she gets pissy and punches it to turn right smh .
If she would have just turned right she would have been gone before I made it into the intersection.....WTF you're not helping!!;;
I try to give up road rage for lent. Forgive me God for killing that woman.

I always refuse to go when some moron does this. I may or may not have even gotten out of my car once to emphasize my point.

My daughter has two avocado stuffed animals. She had one named eva. Recently got another one. Both gifts. I have no idea what name the newer one is.

I learned the other day that the reason she named the avocado eva is because that is her teachers first name. I thought that was cute.

I told my wife. She asked me several questions wanting more detail. What did she name the new one? Did she always name her eva after her teacher or did she learn later that her teacher's name was eva? Why did she tell you this? How did it come up? Did she tell her teacher? Which one does she like better?...

Literally everything I tell my wife these days has a long list of follow up questions that to me seem pretty pointless

Not sure if she has always been this way and I was more tolerant of it when I didn't have a messed up leg and a temporary living situation and an insurance company that is making our lives miserable, but Jesus Christ.

I am guessing this is why so many husbands start answering "I don't know" as a pavlovian response.
I say ”I don’t know, just pray for Tommy”. All. The. Time. 😂😂😂

Typical situation: We're at a restaurant - everyone is done eating, we're waiting on the check. Server comes over and asks how everything was, do we want dessert, or are we ready for the check? Check please. Server comes back 5+ minutes later, drops off the check, and disappears. 10 minutes it feels like before they return to pick up the check with my card and go run it, then they bring it back and I sign and we leave.

So now, when we're done and I'm ready for the check, I pull my card out of my wallet and sit with it in my hand on the table. I figure I can save 10-15 minutes of time - it signals that I want the check so no need to come ask, and no more dropping off the check and disappearing again. My wife hates that I do this and thinks it's rude to the server, implying to them that I think they're being slow.
This is a silent signal, and it is helpful to the staff. It’s not rude. Here’s another one: closing menus when ready to order.

you know those check presenters, usually have a CC logo on them? They usually have a credit card slot inside them, that is designed for you to place card in slot, and stand up the check presenter, letting staff know you ready to pay. A silent signal.

This is a silent signal, and it is helpful to the staff. It’s not rude. Here’s another one: closing menus when ready to order.

you know those check presenters, usually have a CC logo on them? They usually have a credit card slot inside them, that is designed for you to place card in slot, and stand up the check presenter, letting staff know you ready to pay. A silent signal.
Also, if you are not ordering anyting else, it is perfectly okay to ask your server to process your payment while you are still eating. It's rude for them to ask, but not for you.

Also, if you are not ordering anyting else, it is perfectly okay to ask your server to process your payment while you are still eating. It's rude for them to ask, but not for you.
I always trained staff to settle tab quickly, because you can turn a good meal into an annoyed customer if they can’t find when time to pay.

This actually ties neatly into a pet peeve of mine: when it’s time to leave, I want to leave.

Now, I am a single man who dates, I do not expect to change the bladder of every woman on Earth, which sit empty during dinner and dessert, but suddenly are at capacity when you both decide it’s time to leave. I understand that when a woman says, yes, I am ready to go, a bathroom break plus a ten minute purse/scarf/coat interpretive dance will follow. I accept it.

i mean the long goodbyes from parties, the waiter who disappears when it’s time to pay, the amazing time sucks that happen when someone says, ok let’s go.

Seriously, I need everyone in my life to get their coat, hit the bathroom, open the door, then tell me they are ready to leave.

i don’t even have kids, can you imagine?

Why not just have your credit card out on the table and when you wave them over just say "I'd like to get the bill please and you can just take my card right away".

😂. Regarding paying the check: here’s the correct training. There is only one point in the diners experience that we can’t fix if something goes wrong. The very end of their experience. One MUST handle the payment process as quickly and efficiently as possible. Any prompts from the guest should be heeded and should never be interpreted as rude.

Why not just have your credit card out on the table and when you wave them over just say "I'd like to get the bill please and you can just take my card right away".
This.

"Hey, you guys need anything else?"

"Thanks, no, here's my card"

Then you can leave whenever you want
Meh. I like to check the bill over quickly. I've had wrong items/bill multiple times.

Meh. I like to check the bill over quickly. I've had wrong items/bill multiple times.
That's fine and why the usual process is what it is...just don't be all discouraged that it takes an extra 10 minutes then to complete the transaction. The waiter has other things to tend to while you make sure you didn't get charged an extra $3 for that jalepeno popper.

That's fine and why the usual process is what it is...just don't be all discouraged that it takes an extra 10 minutes then to complete the transaction. The waiter has other things to tend to while you make sure you didn't get charged an extra $3 for that jalepeno popper.
Did I complain?

Did I complain?
The original poster of the pet peeve did.

Did I complain?
Ok so why are you targeting me with your cute comment about me checking the bill. I know you're pretty short sighted so I'll help you out. I've been given someone else bill multiple times that are much more expensive than what we ordered. I know you are flush in cash so you don't mind paying for some other parties multiple drinks you didn't order but I'm not paying for that.

I'll await you're next sarcastic cool response

Did I complain?
Ok so why are you targeting me with your cute comment about me checking the bill. I know you're pretty short sighted so I'll help you out. I've been given someone else bill multiple times that are much more expensive than what we ordered. I know you are flush in cash so you don't mind paying for some other parties multiple drinks you didn't order but I'm not paying for that.

I'll await you're next sarcastic cool response

Relax GB. You're in the pet peeves thread and my original post that you replied to was addressing someone's pet peeve. I could care less how anybody pays a bill....my post was giving a tip to the original guy saying his wife gets embarrassed because he waves his credit card around to the waiter when he's ready to pay. I suggested a different approach that has the same effect without his wife getting embarrassed. It's not that deep.

As others have said, I think you're in the right here. Most servers are looking to turn the table and make good tips. A customer offering to speed that process for a table turn and get on to whatever is next for them is a win for everyone. And will likely help boost the tip.

I'm sure nobody here does this but I'm consistently surprised / disappointed by how many people talk to service folks like they're second class citizens. Or they don't understand. They're people. And very likely understand basic social cues.

We'd never ask a peer for something by saying, "Give me..." Yet this happens in restaurants.

Just talk to them nicely. It's not difficult.

If you let them know you're ready to pay, they're going to be ready to help there.

I'd say a good 75-80% of all "memes" I see on Facebook include at least one misspelled word. Are people really this dumb? Wait, don't answer that.

There is also a lot of deliberate butchering of spelling, language and grammar.

I guess the idea is that all that stuff is "unstreet" and who want's to appear educated?

ETA: as an example try to read any tweet from a rapper

Last edited:
Probably doesn't belong in this thread but I know this is just local business helping local business but..... bought a new car, received a thank you card in mail with a 1500 gift certificate to a local fine art portrait studio. First if you really wanted to thank me you should have just bumped another 1500 of the price ;)

I'd say a good 75-80% of all "memes" I see on Facebook include at least one misspelled word. Are people really this dumb? Wait, don't answer that.

There is also a lot of deliberate butchering of spelling, language and grammar.

I guess the idea is that all that stuff is "unstreet" and who want's to appear educated?

ETA: as an example try to read any tweet from a rapper
On a similar note... social media posts that are deliberately wrong/stupid/misspelled in order to get responses and more so, the idiots who actually respond.

There are no words that start and end with the letter "O"

Also... the sheeple who cut and paste posts at the request of the OP to "stop Facebook's evil algorithm" or "only my real friends will read this post and repost it"

Probably doesn't belong in this thread but I know this is just local business helping local business but..... bought a new car, received a thank you card in mail with a 1500 gift certificate to a local fine art portrait studio. First if you really wanted to thank me you should have just bumped another 1500 of the price ;)
The local fine arts studio is probably raising their prices by $2K and also paying the car dealership $500 to help promote them . The car dealership isn’t fronting any money.

You need to start a thread about "Ideas For My Fine Art Portrait Pose"

Not related, but this reminded me of my company sending me a gift card that had already had like 7 months worth of fees taken out and then taxing me on it for the full amount of gift card.

The local fine arts studio is probably raising their prices by $2K and also paying the car dealership $500 to help promote them . The car dealership isn’t fronting any money.
Yep

Not related, but this reminded me of my company sending me a gift card that had already had like 7 months worth of fees taken out and then taxing me on it for the full amount of gift card.
I knew someone whose employer sent them "bonuses" in the form of gift cards to their own store. They then took taxes out their paycheck before the gift cards even arrived in the mail.

You need to start a thread about "Ideas For My Fine Art Portrait Pose"
I thought Costanza art of seduction is standard

And seriously 1500 for a family portrait picture - am I high or is that crazy. Forget the "gift card"

Can't I just go to KMart and pay the $25 .......

Why do ziploc bags come sealed?
I'd say for two reasons:

1. Keep any dust out in the packaging process
2. They probably package easier. If they were unzipped the openings could catch on packaging machinery.
Fold over top ziploc sandwich bags don't come sealed. I don't have to dust them and they still come in a box.
What exactly is the peeve with them being sealed?
Pretty self explanatory.

This is why I wear ear buds around the house most of the time

I swear I'm not old guy yelling at clouds........

Filling out a rebate for my daughter's contacts.

You need to upload a detailed receipt from the eye doctor for the visit, the prescription, the purchase of contacts. Fine no problem

upload all the documents..... after you submit the documents it takes you to one more page. All the information on that page is literally all the information on the documents I just freaking uploaded. I understand needing proof of purchase but your process asks for specific things to be on the receipt and now i need to also fill it in on another form???

Its basically the same as the phone rep asking for your information that you entered.... except i now entered it twice..... sigh

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread