What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (2 Viewers)

Been hearing the word “tranche” being throwing around in corporate America lately
:stab:

Been hearing the word “tranche” being throwing around in corporate America lately
:stab:
That's been in my work world for several years. When they first started using it I was like "say what now?" but it's a thing. We're now on tranche 12.x of tranche infinity.

We recently received the latest tranche from our investor.

'Tranche' is like one of my favorite words
I'm in the investor relations world and we use "tranche" all the time.
WTH does "tranche" mean? I have never heard that term.

Think of it like waves on an ocean only for money. For example, you have a million bucks you want to invest over the course of a week, targeting the same securities. Instead of buying it all at once, you allocate $250,000 as your first 'tranche' to buy these securities. You're attempting to buy the securities without disrupting the market and forcing prices to move quickly or chase higher prices. The 2nd tranche of $250,000 would come later, then a third and then your final 'tranche' to complete. It's coming in waves rather than a tsunami.

Not sure if that helps at all.
Except in 2008, when it definitely came like a tsunami

Think of it like waves on an ocean only for money. For example, you have a million bucks you want to invest over the course of a week, targeting the same securities. Instead of buying it all at once, you allocate $250,000 as your first 'tranche' to buy these securities. You're attempting to buy the securities without disrupting the market and forcing prices to move quickly or chase higher prices. The 2nd tranche of $250,000 would come later, then a third and then your final 'tranche' to complete. It's coming in waves rather than a tsunami.

Not sure if that helps at all.
It helps but it seems like a lame term. At least i know what it means now. Next time I invest $1M I will use the term to sound smart.

This could be in the TravelGuys thread, too, and while it's a minor peeve it's something that I've noticed over the past 3-4 years while traveling for business a bit...

At the airport, they have these "coolers" for waters, soda, etc.... well, these "coolers" don't really even keep the beverages all that cool. Halfway into drinking a normal-sized water, it's lukewarm.

Basically every airport has this same type of cooler. If I'm paying $5.50 for a water, I want it to actually be cold.

This could be in the TravelGuys thread, too, and while it's a minor peeve it's something that I've noticed over the past 3-4 years while traveling for business a bit...

At the airport, they have these "coolers" for waters, soda, etc.... well, these "coolers" don't really even keep the beverages all that cool. Halfway into drinking a normal-sized water, it's lukewarm.

Basically every airport has this same type of cooler. If I'm paying $5.50 for a water, I want it to actually be cold.
Every 1 degree warmer saves cost, which means bigger bonuses to the execs.

I guess, but there are execs at 7-11, etc., too... Maybe just not as much volume at the airport shop?

It's already twice the cost of a convenience store, so they're making their money.

I guess, but there are execs at 7-11, etc., too... Maybe just not as much volume at the airport shop?

It's already twice the cost of a convenience store, so they're making their money.
Most gas stations are locally owned and rely on repeat customers, completely different business model.

Sometimes the bottles in the back are colder since the lazy people that stock them jam the warm ones in front.

Sometimes the bottles in the back are colder since the lazy people that stock them jam the warm ones in front.
Nope. Well maybe but I have yet to get a cold drink from one of these fridge kiosks, front back middle...... I won't use them anymore

My wife wanted a water. Of the 100 bottles I could not find one cold one.

Pet peeve: when there's no option for room temperature or just barely chilled water. Just goes down so much easier, feels delicious. At home I know the perfect number of ice cubes per size of glass/bottle to get the water instantly to the right temp after it comes out of the faucet and leave no ice or condensation.

Restaurants you either seem to get 80% ice 20% water thats freezing and then the ice melts and the glass sweats all over, or you ask for no ice and it's like weirdly warm.

Of course, ice cold > everything when it's summer in TX and 90+ and we're outside.

They’re also colder because of science. 😉

Your body, you choice. Nobody's making you pierce anything.
And nobody is under any obligation to look attractive to you. In fact, it's probably better for them that you don't want to look at them at all.

A small stud on the side of one nostril is pretty sexy.
I just don't get this one. I disagree with the sexy. Makes no sense to me.
Do ear rings make sense to you? It's the same concept, but you're just not as used to it.
I guess my lack of understanding has more to do with hygiene and issues associated with holes and foreign objects being in the nose to gather bacteria and other problematic things. An earing in the ear lobe isn't really going to get you sick or collect bacteria with a direct shot to your internals like a nose stud.

A small stud on the side of one nostril is pretty sexy.
I just don't get this one. I disagree with the sexy. Makes no sense to me.
Do ear rings make sense to you? It's the same concept, but you're just not as used to it.
I guess my lack of understanding has more to do with hygiene and issues associated with holes and foreign objects being in the nose to gather bacteria and other problematic things. An earing in the ear lobe isn't really going to get you sick or collect bacteria with a direct shot to your internals like a nose stud.
Yep. Not to mention the chipped teeth from the mouth piercings. Uck.

And nobody is under any obligation to look attractive to you. In fact, it's probably better for them that you don't want to look at them at all.
sure guy but I like posted my opinion in a thread about pet peeves and some folks seem to agree with me. My opinion isn't a moratorium on body piercing.

Thought I might agree with the person that said a side stud in nose is ok.

sure guy but I like posted my opinion in a thread about pet peeves and some folks seem to agree with me. My opinion isn't a moratorium on body piercing.

So your pet peeve is how some people choose to decorate their own bodies? It bothers you that much?

Thanks for the lesson prince albert.

So your pet peeve is how some people choose to decorate their own bodies? It bothers you that much?
Clowns decorate themselves for attention. Everybody wins here buddy.

Yikes. If we used this kind of logic to weed out all of the entries in this thread where a poster is annoyed by something that doesn't really hurt them and where the annoyer doesn't have an obligation to change for the annoyed, we'd probably be on page 30 instead of 190.

Let's keep this a safe space for complainers. :rant::hifive:

7. People who are oblivious to others in public areas
This is so effing prevalent now it drives me nuts. Scroll up a bit in this thread to see my rant about some broad blabbering on her cell phone at an airport bar. Loudly.

A couple times in this thread I've ranted about idiots that watch videos on their phone at full volume at fast food joints or other public places. Idiots.

Cell phones have made people even more oblivious to others lately. I am ALWAYS mindful of others when using my cell. Whether it be watching a video (hello, headphones?) or making a call (try and find a quiet spot away from others).

I work part time at a small hardware store and it’s my job to greet you and help you find what you’re looking for. The other day a lady walked into the store clearly having a (loud) conversation on her earbuds/headphones.

I knew she was on the phone so I didn’t say anything, just sorta smiled and put my hand up to gesture hello and this ***** literally shooed me and pointed to her ears buds, annoyed.

She then spent the next ten minutes aimlessly walking around the store in a trance while having her conversation.

A few work things...

-People who forget to send emails to our group distribution email address. I have joked to my boss before that if the one customer ever send us something to work on and I am out of the office for a few days, no one will ever see it, because he always send it to just me, not the group email address that we have nicely reminded him about a handful of times, and he never seems to see my out of office emails which would tell him to email my co--workers on something since I am not in the office.

-People in the industry who do not have any contact info (outside of their email) in the signature of their email address. That just strikes me as being very unprofessional.

Both pedestrians and cars who think that parking lot crosswalks are just fancy little designs to make the pavement look more interesting.

People just cross from the parking lot to the building entry in a straight line regardless of where they are and where there is a crosswalk. And cars are used to that, so even when I'm walking down the striped area at the edge of the parking lot, to get to the crosswalk, cars have to slow down, because they assume I'm about to walk out in front of them where there isn't a crosswalk. Then I get to the crosswalk amd make a sudden right turn onto the crosswalk, the car at the crosswalk stop sign who was about to go through seems surprised that I walked in front of him. "Huh, wonder why that guy was walking that direction and then took a 90° turn to walk in front of my car, when he could have just walked a straight line from where he originally was. Weird."

Get off my lawn and onto the crosswalk.

Thanks for the lesson prince albert.

Clowns decorate themselves for attention. Everybody wins here buddy.
Lots of people decorate themselves for attention. Do you wear a watch or a wedding ring, or wear clothes that have been cut or dyed in a way that might enhance your appearance. Do you comb your hair? Do you know any non clown women that wear jewelry or make up? Are you Amish?

Both pedestrians and cars who think that parking lot crosswalks are just fancy little designs to make the pavement look more interesting.

People just cross from the parking lot to the building entry in a straight line regardless of where they are and where there is a crosswalk. And cars are used to that, so even when I'm walking down the striped area at the edge of the parking lot, to get to the crosswalk, cars have to slow down, because they assume I'm about to walk out in front of them where there isn't a crosswalk. Then I get to the crosswalk amd make a sudden right turn onto the crosswalk, the car at the crosswalk stop sign who was about to go through seems surprised that I walked in front of him. "Huh, wonder why that guy was walking that direction and then took a 90° turn to walk in front of my car, when he could have just walked a straight line from where he originally was. Weird."

Are you from Boston? As far as we could tell, it is the Land of the Jaywalkers.

No, Ohio. But I mean I wouldn't even call it jaywalking, I'm not talking about in the actual street. I might say that jaywalking is not even a pet peeve of mine, and ironically I do jaywalk across roads when it makes sense to. But in a parking lot it's just so dang easy to go to the crosswalk, and also it's more unpredictable with cars coming out of all different parking lanes and no one quite knowing where they're going.

when I'm walking down the striped area at the edge of the parking lot, to get to the crosswalk, cars have to slow down, because they assume I'm about to walk out in front of them where there isn't a crosswalk.
Why not just stop walking and let the car go past you. Then when there are no cars around just walk to where you want to go?

No, Ohio. But I mean I wouldn't even call it jaywalking, I'm not talking about in the actual street. I might say that jaywalking is not even a pet peeve of mine, and ironically I do jaywalk across roads when it makes sense to. But in a parking lot it's just so dang easy to go to the crosswalk, and also it's more unpredictable with cars coming out of all different parking lanes and no one quite knowing where they're going.
When we went to Boston, people would suddenly just change directions to get where they wanted to go. Road, no road. Didn't matter. It was sort of like Brownian Motion.

When we went to Boston, people would suddenly just change directions to get where they wanted to go. Road, no road. Didn't matter. It was sort of like Brownian Motion.
my dad was from boston. we went just after i had gotten my DL license. my uncles decided i should drive them everywhere since i wasn't drinking. their one tip: "the car with the most dents has the right of way"

People that buy bottled water at airports instead of filling up a reusable one at the water fountain. The water fountain water is cold too.
I don't travel with a thermos :shrug:
Why not?
I carry one of these vapur collapsible water bottles when I fly. https://www.vapur.us/

I’m have an always be prepared streak with water and snacks not to carry it. But it also makes my Irish colleagues laugh at me, “look at the American always has to carry a big water bottle with him wherever he goes”. Apparently that is an American stereotype that we always carry big water bottles.

when I'm walking down the striped area at the edge of the parking lot, to get to the crosswalk, cars have to slow down, because they assume I'm about to walk out in front of them where there isn't a crosswalk.
Why not just stop walking and let the car go past you. Then when there are no cars around just walk to where you want to go?
Because there's a crosswalk and I like it :)

Users who are viewing this thread