What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (4 Viewers)

I have an 8 year old son; he has a friend the same age that lives down the street. Tonight at around 6:30, the friend stops by ringing doorbell to come inside to play. Of course, my son sees/hears him and no way to say no (or at least no way for my wife to say no, as she is the one who let him inside). They proceed to run all over the house causing havoc all evening. We have cell phone numbers of his parents, and they have ours — no advance reach out like “hey, is it okay if our son comes over to play?” I would never consider just setting my son loose on someone’s house without warning (or at least would not have, but feels like this unannounced invitation needs to be returned).
How about you just send the kid back home?

I have an 8 year old son; he has a friend the same age that lives down the street. Tonight at around 6:30, the friend stops by ringing doorbell to come inside to play. Of course, my son sees/hears him and no way to say no (or at least no way for my wife to say no, as she is the one who let him inside). They proceed to run all over the house causing havoc all evening. We have cell phone numbers of his parents, and they have ours — no advance reach out like “hey, is it okay if our son comes over to play?” I would never consider just setting my son loose on someone’s house without warning (or at least would not have, but feels like this unannounced invitation needs to be returned).
That's how we rolled back in the day.....

Moms should have said sorry little windmill can't play right now

Certainly easier with texting now, but I called in advance when I was younger. Remember usually getting the mom’s or dad’s on the phone picking up. Maybe that was not common, but I did not want to go out on a misinformed sally.
We roamed liked stray dogs in the late 70s and early 80s 😂

Eta Don't disagree with your peeve just stating how much different it is now
The one difference (in my experience anyway) was that there was no "running all over the house causing havoc." If you started that at my house or any of my neighbor friends' houses, you were all kicked out to roam the neighborhood instead.

Certainly easier with texting now, but I called in advance when I was younger. Remember usually getting the mom’s or dad’s on the phone picking up. Maybe that was not common, but I did not want to go out on a misinformed sally.
We roamed liked stray dogs in the late 70s and early 80s 😂

Eta Don't disagree with your peeve just stating how much different it is now
The one difference (in my experience anyway) was that there was no "running all over the house causing havoc." If you started that at my house or any of my neighbor friends' houses, you were all kicked out to roam the neighborhood instead.
Same

Looking at video evidence on the Ring doorbell, I do blame my wife now.

But with a name like moops, thought my dislike of the pop-in would resonate.

Oh I hate the pop in. I would just kick the kids out and have them play outside if they are causing havoc, that's all :thumbup:

Oh I hate the pop in. I would just kick the kids out and have them play outside if they are causing havoc, that's all :thumbup:
I gotcha. Yeah, kicked outside, but then there was a lot of running back in and then back out.

kicked outside, but then there was a lot of running back in and then back out.
This was my youth, at either my house or a neighbor's. The standing memory is the sound of the screen door slamming as every kid ran in or out to use the bathroom or get a glass of koolaid. I'm sure my parents loved that sound too.
Bet they missed it when it stopped.

I see this at least once a day and I don't understand it. Someone is turning left, left blinker is on and they have plenty of time and space to make their left hand turn. However, for whatever reason, like a squirrel that jumps out in front of the car, they decide at the very last minute to either floor it or pretend they don't see my full sized F-150 and take their sweet loving time to make that turn. I mean when I see some of these rusty, Macgyvered together with Kentucky chrome (duct tape) $hitboxes rolling around, I totally get it. I mean if I were rocking one of these things I would want some idiot/sucker like me that pays for full coverage to plow into their rig so my insurance company will pay them to drive something not made by Mitsubishi too. However, I mean, come on already, for the love of all things holy, can we stop turning left in front of each other at the very last minute? Happened to me twice today.

Not sure if anyone has experience working admin for a doctor's office that can explain this one to me...

Went to the doc today (nothing too bad going on, just a weird mole :oldunsure: ) and I guess since I hadn't been there in over a year, they made me fill out a form for my name, address, SSN and insurance info. I remember doing this exact same thing last time I was there, too.

I mean, can't they just ask me if any of my information has changed? Do they purge people out of their system if they haven't been there a year?

Seemed like a waste of my time and dammit I can barely see my member number on my insurance card so there's that.

Not sure if anyone has experience working admin for a doctor's office that can explain this one to me...

Went to the doc today (nothing too bad going on, just a weird mole :oldunsure: ) and I guess since I hadn't been there in over a year, they made me fill out a form for my name, address, SSN and insurance info. I remember doing this exact same thing last time I was there, too.

I mean, can't they just ask me if any of my information has changed? Do they purge people out of their system if they haven't been there a year?

Seemed like a waste of my time and dammit I can barely see my member number on my insurance card so there's that.
Mole meaning your member number in 6.02 x 10^23? :nerd:

Most of my doctors have stopped doing that, thank goodness. I mostly just fill in anything that has changed, and let them sort out the rest.

health care databases run on extremely old mainframes. updating the technology is massively expensive.

health care databases run on extremely old mainframes. updating the technology is massively expensive.

Thought it was all in a cloud now?

I am floored ...you expect the kid down the street to have formal permission to come over and play with your kid??? GTFOH

if they get out of hand you either send'em outside, or tell them to call their jets ...and let them know if that doesn't work - unfortunately they'll have to break it up for the day

note: and if the kid is the hellion at all times, they go outside immediately - if he just can't behave ever - then you talk to the parents as to why he can't come over as a last resort

metaphorically?

I am floored ...you expect the kid down the street to have formal permission to come over and play with your kid??? GTFOH

if they get out of hand you either send'em outside, or tell them to call their jets ...and let them know if that doesn't work - unfortunately they'll have to break it up for the day

note: and if the kid is the hellion at all times, they go outside immediately - if he just can't behave ever - then you talk to the parents as to why he can't come over as a last resort
It’s not like this is his only friend. Every other parent in my neighborhood exchanges texts beforehand or sends a tip-off. I understand things were different 45+ years ago when we were kids, but unusual now (or at least in his peer group).

I can understand when a little bit older and mellower, but hyper 8 year olds a lot of work. I’ve got the evening wind down going with my son chilling watching TV, and then I’ve suddenly got two Leeroy Jenkins running around that need to make sure they don’t destroy things or themselves.

Last edited:

I got the damn clip board today as well. I asked why. She said it was because I hadn’t been there in 2024. I was there in October. :shrug:

We do just that: "Has any of your information changed? No? Okay, great."

I would encourage this kind of behavior in kids these days.....I wouldn't think it is wrong. You have the power that if it's a bad time you just say Don jr can't play right now. Having kids show up to play unscheduled is awesome. It needs to happen more with parents needing to let go a little bit and have their kids venture out.

We do just that: "Has any of your information changed? No? Okay, great."
And don't give them your SSN, unless they want to pay your taxes.

I hate it when somebody blows their nose at the table in a restaurant when I am eating. My dad does this and I have told him how disgusting it is. Also, why do all these old guys carry around handkerchiefs? Let me blow my nose in this cloth and then put it back in my pocket until I need to do it again. Gross.

metaphorically?

Maybe? :mellow:

websites (and now my TV streaming menu) that move stuff around as it loads. The stuff stays in one spot just long enough for me to think that is where I'm supposed to click then switches to something completely different right as I'm clicking.
You just hit on my all time internet irritation.

websites (and now my TV streaming menu) that move stuff around as it loads. The stuff stays in one spot just long enough for me to think that is where I'm supposed to click then switches to something completely different right as I'm clicking.
pay for the premium package and you don't have to deal with it

eta: GPG!

Not sure how many people know this, but unlike their insurance products, which are only available to veterans and their family members, the banking services are open to the public. As long as you don't need to go into a physical branch, it is superior to every other bank I've ever used: no ATM fees, reimbursement for fees charged by machine operators, superior customer service

I did NOT know their banking services were available to the public. I'm a fan - all my kids are on USAA for banking and will hopefully use them for auto-insurance when I boot them off ours. The reimbursement for ATM fees is awesome.

Another perk - mobile deposit is instantaneously available for use once it's deposited (up to $25K per day). BofA mobile deposit - funds not available until next business day. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
I seriously doubt that kiting checks occurs on USAA accounts.

My dad served in the RAF. I don't think I'm eligible.
Try UKAA
I wonder if they have Gronk's Premier League equivalent in their ads

Also credit card readers. Stick your card in and you get a flashing message that says, "DO NOT REMOVE CARD". Then the screen changes and you think it's going to tell you to remove your card. But instead you get a different message that also says "DO NOT REMOVE CARD". Why not just wait until it's time to remove my card and don't say anything until that moment?

And one more in that vein: Customer service lines that play hold music, but periodically interrupt the music long enough for you to get your hopes up that you're about to talk to a human, then repeat a generic announcement like, "Did you know you can get your questions answered on our website?"* before resuming the hold music.

* No s##t, Sherlock. If I could have figured out the answer through your crappy website, do you really think I'd be wasting my time on hold?

I wish the internet had a premium option, this happens everywhere though and isn't an ad-free subscription thing, unless you mean something else in which case I'm clueluess

FYI, I think a lot of time when that happens it's because different elements on the page load at different speeds. So for example, the button initially appears at the top of the screen, but then an ad loads and it pushes the button further down.

Still, it seems like some enterprising coder should be able to figure out a way to get pages to load more smoothly

I wish the internet had a premium option, this happens everywhere though and isn't an ad-free subscription thing, unless you mean something else in which case I'm clueluess
cross-reference to a different thread

Two that moved way up my craplist in the past couple days:

1. School assignments that are really work for the parents rather than the kid. My third grader had to do a diorama of a book, and while 'm all for letting the kid take the lead even if it means doing a crappy job, there were some parts of the project that he would have been absolutely unable to do without my guidance. And he mostly didn't care one way or another, so of course I end up feeling more invested in it than him

2. The B2B marketing genius who decided the way to make emails more effective was by using guilt. "Hi, Ignatius, I noticed that you never responded to my previous email. Was it something I said? Because for the life of me I can't figure out why you're not interested in our enterprise software solution that can improve your llama-grooming results by 37%." (Gee, Brad, maybe if you took a look at my organization's website, you might see that it has nothing to do with llamas, which is why I DGAF about whatever your solution is. And also because you're spamming me.)

Two that moved way up my craplist in the past couple days:

1. School assignments that are really work for the parents rather than the kid. My third grader had to do a diorama of a book, and while 'm all for letting the kid take the lead even if it means doing a crappy job, there were some parts of the project that he would have been absolutely unable to do without my guidance. And he mostly didn't care one way or another, so of course I end up feeling more invested in it than him

2. The B2B marketing genius who decided the way to make emails more effective was by using guilt. "Hi, Ignatius, I noticed that you never responded to my previous email. Was it something I said? Because for the life of me I can't figure out why you're not interested in our enterprise software solution that can improve your llama-grooming results by 37%." (Gee, Brad, maybe if you took a look at my organization's website, you might see that it has nothing to do with llamas, which is why I DGAF about whatever your solution is. And also because you're spamming me.)
Yeah I get a bunch of these and the follow ups. I’m sure that third time is gonna be the charm

No offense to people who make their living this way but I can’t imagine a worse job than trying to sell people stuff they didn’t ask about

There is no cloud... it's just someone else's computer :shrug:

But it's in a cloud. Right?

Yes GM, a big, white, fluffy one

Ads are causing this. So frustrating

Yes GM, a big, white, fluffy one
Or a dark stormy one.

When you're being let going from a job, and they start out by saying "How are you doing today?"

I've now had the identical experience twice in my career of showing up for what I thought was a one on one with my boss, seeing a woman from the HR department there with him (once in person, once on Zoom) and being asked "How are you doing today?"

In both cases, my answer was "Pretty good until I saw her"

When you're being let going from a job, and they start out by saying "How are you doing today?"

I've now had the identical experience twice in my career of showing up for what I thought was a one on one with my boss, seeing a woman from the HR department there with him (once in person, once on Zoom) and being asked "How are you doing today?"

That sucks. Hoping you land on your feet man.

I had to deliver a "we're firing you" decision this week. We have a committee that reviews everyone, and the person responsible for this one gave birth same week so I had to pick it up.

The other person joins zoom expecting to hear feedback, results of their review, what to look for on their next project, etc. AND it is their first time meeting me. So they join and are like "Hey great to meet you, excited to hear how this went..."

I kind of cut them off and went with the very direct approach. "Hold on a second. I'm going to get right to the point. The committee decided you will be let go." And then got into the rest of the discussion. Actually seemed to go over ok.

It is an extremely unpleasant conversation. Idk why you'd make it worse with an asinine how ya doing...

That sucks. Hoping you land on your feet man.

I had to deliver a "we're firing you" decision this week. We have a committee that reviews everyone, and the person responsible for this one gave birth same week so I had to pick it up.

The other person joins zoom expecting to hear feedback, results of their review, what to look for on their next project, etc. AND it is their first time meeting me. So they join and are like "Hey great to meet you, excited to hear how this went..."

I kind of cut them off and went with the very direct approach. "Hold on a second. I'm going to get right to the point. The committee decided you will be let go." And then got into the rest of the discussion. Actually seemed to go over ok.

It is an extremely unpleasant conversation. Idk why you'd make it worse with an asinine how ya doing...
The last time I fired someone, the guy walked in and I said, “Why don’t you have a seat, because we are going to have an unpleasant conversation.” I’ve only fired two in my career. This one went better than the first where I chitchatted with them for 20 minutes before diving in. That one didn’t turn out so well. Learned my lesson. Just cut to the chase.

I miss analog soooooo much. Plug it in, press play, “wala“.

-Turn on fire stick, wait to load.
-Navigate menu, often having to look for the right app because it’s not on your Home Screen which is loaded with stuff that’s not included.
-app loads
-app updates
-app reloads
-sign in using QR code
-app reloads
-choose a profile
-play movie
-app resets home screen
-app reloads
-finally works

This is not better.

Users who are viewing this thread