What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (1 Viewer)

Careful with the timeline for return.  I was told it was 10 days is all.  They do that because they know many won't get it done.  Then more charges come in.

Ends up my equipment was old (which they 100% knew already), and so it didn't need to be returned.  I was told (from a different rep) after the fact, of course.  So they had me go through the return process just in hopes of not getting a return or a partial return.  Then they're able to try and charge their customers one more time on the way out the door.  Typical MO/BS.

It really shouldn't be legal, the types of practices they employ.
:thumbup:  Thanks for the heads up. I just reviewed my final bill and it does state in small print on the bottom that if you do not receive return instructions within 5 days to call them. Equipment not returned within 21 days is subject to a $135 per DVR / HD receiver. I have 4 to return.  :hot:

Of course they are "closed" when I call. I'll try again from work tomorrow.

Canceled DTV over a year ago and switched back to cable.  The guide and DVR is the worst.  Mrs. SLB hates them.  The price was right though until I got this month's bill and there was an increase of $30. 

I really don't want to go back to DTV.  Maybe Youtube TV?  Somebody help an old please. TIA
My wife is REALLY resistant to change. Tried Hulu and was like WTF is this?? Tried to get her to drop DTV for a couple years. Had her try Youtube TV and she was like "Sure. This works. It has all my stupid reality stuff? Awesome! I'm in!"

top dog said:
My wife is REALLY resistant to change. Tried Hulu and was like WTF is this?? Tried to get her to drop DTV for a couple years. Had her try Youtube TV and she was like "Sure. This works. It has all my stupid reality stuff? Awesome! I'm in!"
I dropped DirecTv in January and never looked back.  i currently have Cincinnati Bell Fioptics which has the RZC.  Pretty happy with it.  The thing I miss most about DirecTv is their Guide layout and the DVR.  

As for YouTube TV, how is the guide and DVR?  Do you have to log into YouTube TV any differently than say a DirecTv or Cable (i.e open an app to access once TV is turned on).  I value the ease of just turning TV on and going to a guide from the remote.

TIA

I dropped DirecTv in January and never looked back.  i currently have Cincinnati Bell Fioptics which has the RZC.  Pretty happy with it.  The thing I miss most about DirecTv is their Guide layout and the DVR.  

As for YouTube TV, how is the guide and DVR?  Do you have to log into YouTube TV any differently than say a DirecTv or Cable (i.e open an app to access once TV is turned on).  I value the ease of just turning TV on and going to a guide from the remote.

TIA
Their DVR is kind of unique. When you find a show you like, you add it to your library. It then saves any previous episodes that Youtube has (sometimes the entire series, other times only the current year. Probably has to do with rights) and as new episodes are released, they are "recorded". When I turn on my TV it is already on my FireTV input. I just click on the Youtube TV app and it fires up. The last live channel you were on or whatever is where you land, but with an overlay of 3 options. "My Library", "Home", "Live'. You can easily navigate left or right to see the channel guide (under live) or find something recommended under the home section you are on. Want to view something in your DVR? Go to My Library. I also love that you can switch accounts. My wife and I both have a google account. So when she is watching she has her library which has all her reality crap. I switch to my profile and I don't have to wade through all her garbage to watch the garbage that I like. It really is pretty easy. I found it to be much more intuitive than Hulu live. We had DirectvNOW for a minute in the past and it was horrible. 

They have a 7 day free trial for YoutubeTV. If you are interested, try it out first and see if it works for you.

top dog said:
:thumbup:  Thanks for the heads up. I just reviewed my final bill and it does state in small print on the bottom that if you do not receive return instructions within 5 days to call them. Equipment not returned within 21 days is subject to a $135 per DVR / HD receiver. I have 4 to return.  :hot:

Of course they are "closed" when I call. I'll try again from work tomorrow.
Called and they verified that my equipment was too old and they did not want it back. Gave me a confirmation number to verify there was no return equipment fee. The rep did inform me that if I held onto the equipment and decided to come back I would not get locked into a 24 month contract so I might not want to recycle the receivers just yet. 

I need to play the cancel/winback offer game in about 2 weeks.  Usually this time of year this thread is filled with talk about deals that people have been able to get.  There is a lot less talk this year.  Curious what people are doing this year, staying with Directv or leaving like so many others seem to be doing.

I need to play the cancel/winback offer game in about 2 weeks.  Usually this time of year this thread is filled with talk about deals that people have been able to get.  There is a lot less talk this year.  Curious what people are doing this year, staying with Directv or leaving like so many others seem to be doing.
yep... about that time

Haven’t done it yet so nothing that can help yet, but I am going to at least try the same plan as always soon.  I’ll post when I do. 

I cancelled in early 2020 and do not regret it.  I was tired of the yearly game....

i called yesterday since my promotions have just run out and I am not under contract.  guy told me to wait until sep 13 and call to get the best deals and he would hook me up.  gave me a number.  will post it later..... seemed legit

Cool well my bill cycle goes through 9/8 so I'll monitor this thread over the next 2 weeks look forward to seeing what everyone gets for deals and phone numbers used.

Honestly, when I can actually manage to log into their disaster of a site it shows me as getting the basic Sunday Ticket for $0 per month. I got something in the mail that suggested something else, but who the F knows... Just kind of waiting it out...

Just made the call to cancel tonight and will let the games begin tomorrow.

I know we all hate this, but I've been doing it so long that I actually really enjoy seeing what kind of deal I can score.

Calling the winback number first thing in the morning!

Just made the call to cancel tonight and will let the games begin tomorrow.

I know we all hate this, but I've been doing it so long that I actually really enjoy seeing what kind of deal I can score.

Calling the winback number first thing in the morning!
Cancelled on Thursday of last week. Meant to call today and just got busy. I’m planning to call in the morning and will report back. 

Quick and painless:

• $46 credit for 12-months off the XTRA package
  • Free HBO for 12-months
  • Free Sunday Ticket Max
  • $200 Visa Gift Card
what number did you use to call in? Did you already cancel last night or just decided to cancel and called this morning? Thanks. 

With a cancellation, or simply calling in and asking?  if the later, can you post the number you called.
With a disconnect request last night. Called the winback number this morning once confirmed I had no service.

They were only too happy to send the signal back to my tv with the above terms.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a disconnect request last night. Called the winback number this morning once confirmed I had no service.

They were only too happy to send the signal back to my tv with the above terms.
Thanks.  Didn't really want to actually cancel.  Might try the loyalty dept first, but go this route if I have to.

You guys know you don't really "cancel" right? It is just a status they apply to your account and they go through all the crap about returning your equipment etc. but you never even unplug your equipment. In fact, I never even lost the recordings on my DVR.

To begin, just call the main number and ask to close my account due to the discounts rolling off. They offer a small deal on the spot and you just politely say that won't help me enough and they agree to cancel you.

Within a few hours your programming is gone and when you see that it means the winback dept 888-333-0804 can deal with you (they won't before you are actually in cancelled status). You politely ask for what offers they have for you (likely similar to what I and others got) and they will hook you up. And if you don't get the right offer/person, just say nicely that you will think it over and get back to them. A few min later call again and it will get done.

This is all just procedural and playing the game to get the programming you want at the price you want 😎

Last year I managed to get over $70 off/month, getting my bill down into the $65 range.  Discounts coming off upping it to $140 range.  Called the main number tonight and set to cancel.  Best offer I got was $40 off for 12 months, so I didn't take it as I told them I wanted it back down where it was before.  Will see if I get a Winback offer and will call the number if need be.  

Just cancelled.

Last year, did not get $200 Visa card.  Two years ago, promised $200 Visa card, only got $100.

They charged about $20/month this year than negotiated 12 months ago.  Just don't have the time to deal with it all.

I'm done.

Set cancellation last night.  Got a call during class this morning, so I can't answer it.  Google the number and see that it's DirecTV.  Call them back 10 minutes later during a break, and they say they're closed.  Who's closed at 10 in the morning right after they called me?  

Good news, Winback still works.  Got the winback call this morning, called them back over lunch, and ended up getting $95 off per month, so I'm sticking around another year.  

Good news, Winback still works.  Got the winback call this morning, called them back over lunch, and ended up getting $95 off per month, so I'm sticking around another year.  
DId your cancel go through or did you get called before the actual cancel happened?

My cancel is tomorrow.

I'll call them once I see service isn't there and try. My approach last year was different as I was ready to leave for YouTube TV and told them I needed the bill under $30 or I was gone and they actually made it happen. I'll be doing the same this year.

Just cancelled.

Last year, did not get $200 Visa card.  Two years ago, promised $200 Visa card, only got $100.

They charged about $20/month this year than negotiated 12 months ago.  Just don't have the time to deal with it all.

I'm done.
less that three hours later, win back called when I was driving

bossfan said:
DId your cancel go through or did you get called before the actual cancel happened?
I set up cancellation for 2 weeks out (end of the billing cycle) and was called twice by Winback the next day.  

You guys know you don't really "cancel" right? It is just a status they apply to your account and they go through all the crap about returning your equipment etc. but you never even unplug your equipment. In fact, I never even lost the recordings on my DVR.

I like to disconnect my cables so when they shut me off I can still watch DVR programs before getting turned back on.

Ah the annual DTV fight. Game on for me as well. Set up disconnect and it processed at end of day Friday. Now we wait. If I don’t hear back by WED, I’ll give winback a call just to see what they can do.

Last year, they royally FUBAR’ed my account so the winback offer I should’ve received couldn’t be processed. Something about because I called when it was scheduled to cancel and not actually canceled and the rep tried to do something. Ended up making an executive complaint with AT&T and got the same deal as many here but man was that a pain.

This year I just outright canceled and didn’t make any further contact attempts. No BS.

For those who have canceled and gotten a winback, how long did it take them to call you? Wondering if because my cancellation was at the end of a business week, they’ll be calling this week.

Ah the annual DTV fight. Game on for me as well. Set up disconnect and it processed at end of day Friday. Now we wait. If I don’t hear back by WED, I’ll give winback a call just to see what they can do.

Last year, they royally FUBAR’ed my account so the winback offer I should’ve received couldn’t be processed. Something about because I called when it was scheduled to cancel and not actually canceled and the rep tried to do something. Ended up making an executive complaint with AT&T and got the same deal as many here but man was that a pain.

This year I just outright canceled and didn’t make any further contact attempts. No BS.

For those who have canceled and gotten a winback, how long did it take them to call you? Wondering if because my cancellation was at the end of a business week, they’ll be calling this week.
Why wait for a callback? 

Just call them and tell them what you want, this way it happens at your convenience.

A few notes about my experience: 

-Gift card process is much faster as you can get the card digitally now. I've already spent mine. 

-Watch out for equipment fees. I was charged $200 a receiver. This is an error, of course, but they are making me pay it and then hope to have it credited back. Fun! 

-The system will try to establish an install appointment. You can just cancel this via txt message. 

is there a way on the website to see how long is left in the contract. was trying to make sure last year they didn't put me into a 2 year deal 

Something similar happened with my account. What was the process for making an executive complaint?

Just called winback at 888-333-0804 and spoke with a Ronald. He offered me:

- $45/mo. off CHOICE package for 12 mo.

- Movie channels for 12 mo.

- Free ST Max

- $100 Visa GC

I pushed for an extra $10-15 off per month but he said that was all the discounts he could give me. Also seeing others get a $200 GC so I politely declined and thanked him for his help. Will call back later and do the dance again with another rep. If I can't get anywhere else, may just take the above, especially if they up my GC to $200.

Just called winback at 888-333-0804 and spoke with a Ronald. He offered me:

- $45/mo. off CHOICE package for 12 mo.

- Movie channels for 12 mo.

- Free ST Max

- $100 Visa GC

I pushed for an extra $10-15 off per month but he said that was all the discounts he could give me. Also seeing others get a $200 GC so I politely declined and thanked him for his help. Will call back later and do the dance again with another rep. If I can't get anywhere else, may just take the above, especially if they up my GC to $200.
Had you already canceled? Was service shut off?

Had you already canceled? Was service shut off?
Yes - I canceled effective FRI, 08/28. Waited through the weekend to let everything process then called today. Account must be in a canceled status for winback to talk to you.

My next step is to call back and let them know I had a deal earlier but it wasn't enough for my wife to want to go forward - which is actually true. If they can do a bill credit equal to $10-15 more off per month and up the gift card to $200, we have a deal. If the rep can't do that, then I will ask to speak with a supervisor and see where that goes.

It sometimes takes multiple calls, but like others have said if you don't get the deal you want, just politely decline and call back later and speak with another rep. Eventually you can get there. I also have the benefit of time because the season doesn't start for a week so many more calls to make. The extra $10-15 isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things but it's the principle behind it to me. If they are going to make me play their game, then I'm getting what I want. I am probably willing to take the first deal if they up the GC to $200 since I'll consider that akin to a bill credit but we shall see.

And we have a deal!

Called winback again and spoke with John. He went through some stuff about how promotions don't appear to be on my account. I was WTF because yesterday I had the above. He said he'd take care of it and spoke with his supervisor. Worked for a while but we landed on:

- $70/mo. off CHOICE package for 12 mo. - up from the $45 I got yesterday

- ST Max billed at full price but...

- $50/mo. bill credit for 12 mo. - ST Max is $395 and credits equal $600 so got an additional $205 bill credit

- No contract or agreement which shocked me - this apparently was in exchange of the other stuff like movie channels I got yesterday. We discussed briefly how important movie channels were to me and I said not in the least since I have streaming services so he said it was one or the other. Easy decision.

Shocked they did this with no contract and gave me more off per month. John did stress this was the 'absolute max discount' he could give. I gently pushed for more because why not but he laughed and said "you already have a lot of discounts Mr. ACG...". I laughed and said hey had to try. He said he understood. John was fantastic - we even got disconnected twice on his end and he called me back right away. I have to say it was pretty easy this year - A+ service today.

For those of you (like me) that don't want to go through with the 'cancel,re-join' process...

I call each year just looking to lower my costs and attempt to get Sunday Ticket for free.  Did the following today:

-        Called 1-888-777-2454

o   Said ‘cancel service’ at prompt

o   Asked to be transferred to customer loyalty (initial person was not in loyalty department)

-        Said was trying to get my costs down and evaluating options

-        Took a few minutes to review my account/see what offers were available and presented me with:

o   $30 off per month for 12 months without commitment (I had the same thing last year and that credit just had rolled off)

-        Said I see they are offering free Sunday Ticket for new subscribers and asked if they had any deals:

o   Looked in system and offered free Sunday Ticket Max

I accepted.  Total call time - 27 minutes.

My only goal is ST for free.

1. Called  1-888-777-2454, and said cancel.

2. Confirmed it was the loyalty dept, and said that my wife makes me call every year to get a deal, because she wants to stream everything.

3. She offered 70 off a month and free ST if I like football. I accepted. 9min call, no contract extension.

Users who are viewing this thread