What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (3 Viewers)

'Hastur said:
I wonder if DirectTV has adjusted their strategy since Netflix upped their price 60%?
Just realized this now. My plan goes from 9.99 to 15.98 on september 1st. SOBs.
If I don't use the streaming, do I get a deal? So just the 1 at a time plan goes to 7.99, right?
i stayed with just DVD and the price went from $15.99 to $11.99 for 2 out at a time
Interesting...Im still streaming a ton more, but the quality of movies on there comparatively makes me want to switch if thats the case. Really, you get your money's worth with streaming with TV shows, but most of the time it seems like they only stream half of the available seasons...kind of a tease.

'Hastur said:
I wonder if DirectTV has adjusted their strategy since Netflix upped their price 60%?
If I don't use the streaming, do I get a deal? So just the 1 at a time plan goes to 7.99, right?
i stayed with just DVD and the price went from $15.99 to $11.99 for 2 out at a time
Looked it up, but thanks. I live in the sticks, so I can't do streaming - looks like I am one of the few that actually gets a break out of this. Just got an email from our corporate office about the complaints that Netflix is fielding and how it might boost people coming back in to the video stores. Not sure how much it will change, but I guess we will see.

'Hastur said:
Looked it up, but thanks. I live in the sticks, so I can't do streaming - looks like I am one of the few that actually gets a break out of this. Just got an email from our corporate office about the complaints that Netflix is fielding and how it might boost people coming back in to the video stores. Not sure how much it will change, but I guess we will see.
If you live in the sticks and cant stream, Id think them doubling there price basically would help your place a lot, IIRC you run a video store

I called DirecTV yesterday, said "cancel" then "cancel" to get to retention, and told the guy I was looking at my bill recently, and realizing $90/mo is a lot for what I'm getting, and I'm starting to look at alternatives like an OTA antenna and Roku. He said he could see that I was a long-time cusotmer (9 years) and always paid my nills on time, and he would work with me to see if he could get that down. He offered to take off $22/mo for the next 12 months, and 6 free months of Starz and Encore. No negotiating, yelling, or threatening, he just offered it up unprompted. Perhaps I could have gotten more, but I was satisfied with that.

Pretty sure Im out of contract, but I saw the free ticket commercial last week so called. Expected to get it for free, complained its way too much (I think its gone up about $120 just in the past 4 years), and best the girl would give me was $20 off for 6 months. Didnt even think twice about taking it, and glad I didnt. I'll have to call back in a month or so and hope for better, although it looks like the best anyone's gotten is $180 off except for the guy who got $25 off for 24 months which I have trouble believing.
:hey: Believe it!
KP, call them up and tell'em your buddy from the internet got that kind of deal and is rubbing it in your face, now it's a matter of principle and you don't give a #### if you watch next week's episode of Breaking Bad or not.I'm confident you'll get results.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am out of contract and will be calling them soon with this ultimatum. Give me all new equipment, mine is all 6+ years old, like you would a new customer, or I'm done. I'll report back.

I have negotiated with them many times before,always been successful

Pretty sure Im out of contract, but I saw the free ticket commercial last week so called. Expected to get it for free, complained its way too much (I think its gone up about $120 just in the past 4 years), and best the girl would give me was $20 off for 6 months. Didnt even think twice about taking it, and glad I didnt. I'll have to call back in a month or so and hope for better, although it looks like the best anyone's gotten is $180 off except for the guy who got $25 off for 24 months which I have trouble believing.
Elaborate then...Ive never heard them giving $$ off per month over 12 months, and $20 is usually the standard at that.
I hadn't either. But I've had numerous problems with them. My contract is set to expire next month. The final straw was when I tried to upgrade to a new HD DVR to replace one I've had for a long time that doesn't seem to be working as well lately. First they tried to charge me for it. Then they sent a refurbished model older than the one I had and didn't include a return label. Then they said I could just drop it at FedEx without a return label because they had a deal with FedEx. That wasn't true. Then they said they'd guarantee me a brand-new DVR and another refurbished older model came. Again, no return label. Then they said they had no deal with FedEx to return those and that they'd have to send me two empty boxes with return labels. Then they said they can't guarantee me a brand-new DVR. They claim they are sent out randomly and there's no way to override it. So I mentioned that I've been a customer for more than 10 years, have had numerous issues all while my bill goes up, up, up. I said I was done and that I'd call back to cancel next month. He offered $25 off for 24 months. I watched it posted to my account while I was talking to him before I hung up. Then I asked for a discount on Sunday Ticket too since they're giving it away. And he said he could do another $100 instant credit in addition to the monthly credits. And I wouldn't have to sign a new two-year deal. So I took it.

I hate dealing with the comcast and directv sales people. They're idiots and I can never seem to get a good deal out of them.

All I care about is basic cable channels + soccer channels + internet. Give me a deal that cost under $100 (and not just for 3 months) and I'll sign up.

Elaborate then...Ive never heard them giving $ off per month over 12 months, and $20 is usually the standard at that.
I'm actually getting $35/month off for the next year and the lady told me to call back after the 12 months is up and they'll see what they can do then.

Elaborate then...Ive never heard them giving $ off per month over 12 months, and $20 is usually the standard at that.
I'm actually getting $35/month off for the next year and the lady told me to call back after the 12 months is up and they'll see what they can do then.
BeTheMatch's reasoning makes sense now that I see it, but how did you pull this off?

BeTheMatch's reasoning makes sense now that I see it, but how did you pull this off?
I called and complained that the rate was too high and gave them the rate I could get Dish for. I also complained about paying for HD when they give it to new customers for free. She gave me $10 off to cover the HD, and the other $25 to get my bill down to what the Dish bill would be.

I got 50 bucks off for 6 months. Will call back when the NFL starts up. It really sucks that these teaser rates are given out for new customers, and the long term customers have to call in every year or so and threaten to quit to lower their bills.

I got 50 bucks off for 6 months. Will call back when the NFL starts up. It really sucks that these teaser rates are given out for new customers, and the long term customers have to call in every year or so and threaten to quit to lower their bills.
Yeah, this practice greatly bothers me. My phone/int provider and DirectTV both operate this way and it irks me. They make you play their game, and it's not a fun one.I had planned to move over to my rooftop antenna by now, but with the one-time $150 discount I was offered, it made sense for me to ride out my final five months and not pay the early cancellation fees. I full intend on cancelling my subscription as soon as my contract is up though, unless they offer me a huge discount. I don't think this is likely, but I'm fine with moving over to rooftop antenna.

I called and complained that the rate was too high and gave them the rate I could get Dish for. I also complained about paying for HD when they give it to new customers for free. She gave me $10 off to cover the HD, and the other $25 to get my bill down to what the Dish bill would be.
What the new customer bill would be for a Dish customer or what you would pay as the standard bill after promotions? And how much was it?

What the new customer bill would be for a Dish customer or what you would pay as the standard bill after promotions? And how much was it?
Seriously dude, you are way overthinking it. The number doesn't matter, just make a low ### one up and then get all pissed off about it.There is no fact checking process, treat it like a game.

The promo price I think. I'll look at my bill tomorrow and let you know.

Timely thread. I called them today to tell them to cut service since we are moving and was going to give Dish a shot to save some money. The rep said we were already grandfathered in under their old price plan and it's the best they offer. We have an HD DVR a regular DVR a HD receiver and a regular receiver for $98.39 a month. So they are giving me another HD DVR & another HD receiver. (I have to pay some Missouri use tax of $13xx & $25 shipping though.) Plus they are partnered with AT & T who we have DSL through already so we are getting a $5 a month credit for 24 months.

I'm sure I could have done better but I'm pretty happy.

:goodposting: Nice thread...after getting a bill of $94 this past month (its typically $80 or so) I took this tact as well. Already had an HD-DVR, but upgraded another old standard DVR on another TV to HD and got an additional receiver for only $3 (some total home package where you can pause and play on any of my tv's). He then credited me $25 off per month for two years and gave me Starz for 6 mos. So I guess the net is $22 off a month and upgraded equipment. Definitely will watch my bill though.

Seriously dude, you are way overthinking it. The number doesn't matter, just make a low ### one up and then get all pissed off about it.There is no fact checking process, treat it like a game.
Understood, I just called them last week though and the girl said she would put in my "profile" that I can get $20 off for 6 months if I get the Ticket. Im going to take the Swingers approach, and give this a couple weeks before I call back and try to get a significantly better price cut.

'Kenny Powers said:
'hooter311 said:
'Kenny Powers said:
'Dan said:
'Kenny Powers said:
'Dan said:
Understood, I just called them last week though and the girl said she would put in my "profile" that I can get $20 off for 6 months if I get the Ticket. Im going to take the Swingers approach, and give this a couple weeks before I call back and try to get a significantly better price cut.
just looked at my bill. I have 4 receivers - (1 regular, 1 HD DVR, 2 reg DVR), Protection plan (covers hardware. This is $5.99/month) and the Total Choice Plus package. My total with taxes and everything is $76.50/month

I got an offer in the mail from Dish that offers High Def for 2 rooms and 2nd Room Service free for life if I switch. Can DirecTV meet this to keep a customer?
yes. it is clear to me as a longtime directv customer that their business model is to overcharge the dummies and be competitive with people who are a pain.for example, at the start of every football season i call them and tell them i am going to switch to cable since they offer a red zone channel package, whereas with directv it is only bundled with sunday ticket. since i do not want sunday ticket and only the red zone channel, and directv does not sell the red zone channel as a stand alone they end up givig the red zone channel to me for free and usually a $60 discount off my bill for the next 6 months.dont talk to a sales rep...go straight to cancellation.

Can you negotiate even if you've signed a 24 month contract? What is the typical termination fee after 12 months of a 24 month contract?

Also, it states that I have to sign a 24 month contract, but won't guarantee the price for months 13-24. That is a terrible deal IMO, and really shady.

Can you negotiate even if you've signed a 24 month contract? What is the typical termination fee after 12 months of a 24 month contract?Also, it states that I have to sign a 24 month contract, but won't guarantee the price for months 13-24. That is a terrible deal IMO, and really shady.
I don't claim to have the definitive answers to your questions, but based on my experience, your 2nd year price is basically locked in (much higher than your first year), but you can still call and complain and get some relief (I did). The first year, you get a great deal, and from then on they'll charge you quite a bit unless you call in every so often and complain (or threaten to cancel your service).I have 5 months left on my 2-year contract and threatened to cancel (fully intended to) and they worked with me to get my cost down. I was happy with that... but it did take two calls. The first call got me nowhere. Like some have said, the trick seems to be finding someone there that knows what they're doing.As for the early cancellation fee, they told me they would charge me $20 per month for my final five months. Not sure if the monthly fee goes up if you have a longer period left on your contract.

Can you negotiate even if you've signed a 24 month contract? What is the typical termination fee after 12 months of a 24 month contract?Also, it states that I have to sign a 24 month contract, but won't guarantee the price for months 13-24. That is a terrible deal IMO, and really shady.
I don't claim to have the definitive answers to your questions, but based on my experience, your 2nd year price is basically locked in (much higher than your first year), but you can still call and complain and get some relief (I did). The first year, you get a great deal, and from then on they'll charge you quite a bit unless you call in every so often and complain (or threaten to cancel your service).I have 5 months left on my 2-year contract and threatened to cancel (fully intended to) and they worked with me to get my cost down. I was happy with that... but it did take two calls. The first call got me nowhere. Like some have said, the trick seems to be finding someone there that knows what they're doing.As for the early cancellation fee, they told me they would charge me $20 per month for my final five months. Not sure if the monthly fee goes up if you have a longer period left on your contract.
Thanks for the info. The online chat rep said it would be $20/month for the remainder of the contract.

I got an offer in the mail from Dish that offers High Def for 2 rooms and 2nd Room Service free for life if I switch. Can DirecTV meet this to keep a customer?
yes. it is clear to me as a longtime directv customer that their business model is to overcharge the dummies and be competitive with people who are a pain.for example, at the start of every football season i call them and tell them i am going to switch to cable since they offer a red zone channel package, whereas with directv it is only bundled with sunday ticket. since i do not want sunday ticket and only the red zone channel, and directv does not sell the red zone channel as a stand alone they end up givig the red zone channel to me for free and usually a $60 discount off my bill for the next 6 months.

dont talk to a sales rep...go straight to cancellation.
I didn't realize that anyone other than DirecTV offered NFL packages? Another bargaining chip to use in a few months.

I just got $25 off for 24 months ($600) and $100 off Sunday Ticket because they can't even handle a request for a receiver upgrade and I said I'd had enough and was quitting.
They are giving out the 2011 Sunday Ticket for free to new customers.
Plus a whole lot of other stuff which is 50% cheaper than current customers. Been with them 11 years and saw that offer and canceled. I spend at least 2K (with UFC purchaes etc) a year with them and newbies get what I pay 1500 for, for 700 bucks. They offered me the sunday ticket free, I turned them down. Then they offered me 250 dollar credit. I told them that that was less than the ticket. They asked what I wanted, I told them the credit and the ticket. They put me on hold for 5 minutes and can back with 10 dollars off for a year and ticket and I set up my disconnection date. Free crap to newbies and sticking it to long term loyal customers is a big F U to me.Edit to add:I hate having to call and threaten to quit every year to beg for free crap. Just price it reasonably for all.
i had just about this same conversation (minus the cancellation part) with them about a year ago. I needed to upgrade all my equipment to HD, so they quoted me like $700 to have some installers come out and put in a new dish, wiring and boxes. I said, are you kidding me? You guys are giving away free install to all new customers, here i am paying you now for like 6 years loyal customer and you're going to stick it to me for wanting to upgrade, how 'bout i just cancel and go with cable. HOLD.....comes back on the line, we are going to not charge you for the install now. I'm sure i could negotiated with them anytime i felt like calling them up and complaining but i'm pretty happy with the service and don't mind paying $80 a month for what i have. ONly channell i don't have that i'd like is Palladia

In the mail today:

"Thank you for making DIRECTV America's favorite satellite television provider. We'd like to celebrate your anniversary and show our appreciation gift of: SPORTS PACK - 3 FREE MONTHS There is no cost or commitment of any kind. This is simply our way of saying 'thanks'. The service has already been turned on four you, and you can expect FREE gifts like this every year you stay with DIRECTV."

:unsure:

:excited:

:thumbup:

Directv is once again giving away the Red Zone Channel. I am a fan of my local team so I've never bought the Ticket, but after getting the RZC last season, I can't imagine not having it. Well, it took 3 phone calls today (cancel 2x each time to get to Retention), but I have it again at no cost. I don't think it's a coincidence either that when I finally got a male CSR, he was able to find the offer for me whereas the two women before could not. I also now have Showtime free for 6 months.

yes. it is clear to me as a longtime directv customer that their business model is to overcharge the dummies and be competitive with people who are a pain.for example, at the start of every football season i call them and tell them i am going to switch to cable since they offer a red zone channel package, whereas with directv it is only bundled with sunday ticket. since i do not want sunday ticket and only the red zone channel, and directv does not sell the red zone channel as a stand alone they end up givig the red zone channel to me for free and usually a $60 discount off my bill for the next 6 months.

dont talk to a sales rep...go straight to cancellation.
I didn't realize that anyone other than DirecTV offered NFL packages? Another bargaining chip to use in a few months.
many offer a red zone only channel...not a comparable product to sunday ticket...but thats all i want.

Directv is once again giving away the Red Zone Channel. I am a fan of my local team so I've never bought the Ticket, but after getting the RZC last season, I can't imagine not having it. Well, it took 3 phone calls today (cancel 2x each time to get to Retention), but I have it again at no cost. I don't think it's a coincidence either that when I finally got a male CSR, he was able to find the offer for me whereas the two women before could not. I also now have Showtime free for 6 months. :thumbup:
Isnt DirecTV's red zone channel different than NFLN RZ channel or no? For some reason I remember DTV's just showing all the scores with a scoreboard and then cutting to radio feeds of the games, whereas NFLN's is video of those games. Could be thinking of some other channel similar channel though.

FYI -

Just this morning I noticed DTV billed me an extra ten dollars. I had already danced this dance with them last month when my 12 month refer a friend promo ended. It "slipped" off again, the promo that is, in spite of last months lady telling me she would extend another 12 months. I called this morning, said cancel, and informed Patricia that I was done with this crap of calling every month. I told her Dish is offering 2 years at 39.99 for something very similar and I'm done. She offered 12 x 10 AND $200.00 off the sunday ticket (130 for the season w/ this promo - very reasonable price imo). I took it and watched her put it on my account.

No arguing at all which is weird b/c, in the past, DTV fought me toothe and nail for every dollar on ST. Good luck friends.

FYI - Just this morning I noticed DTV billed me an extra ten dollars. I had already danced this dance with them last month when my 12 month refer a friend promo ended. It "slipped" off again, the promo that is, in spite of last months lady telling me she would extend another 12 months. I called this morning, said cancel, and informed Patricia that I was done with this crap of calling every month. I told her Dish is offering 2 years at 39.99 for something very similar and I'm done. She offered 12 x 10 AND $200.00 off the sunday ticket (130 for the season w/ this promo - very reasonable price imo). I took it and watched her put it on my account. No arguing at all which is weird b/c, in the past, DTV fought me toothe and nail for every dollar on ST. Good luck friends.
they're giving Sunday Ticket to new customers at no charge.

FYI - Just this morning I noticed DTV billed me an extra ten dollars. I had already danced this dance with them last month when my 12 month refer a friend promo ended. It "slipped" off again, the promo that is, in spite of last months lady telling me she would extend another 12 months. I called this morning, said cancel, and informed Patricia that I was done with this crap of calling every month. I told her Dish is offering 2 years at 39.99 for something very similar and I'm done. She offered 12 x 10 AND $200.00 off the sunday ticket (130 for the season w/ this promo - very reasonable price imo). I took it and watched her put it on my account. No arguing at all which is weird b/c, in the past, DTV fought me toothe and nail for every dollar on ST. Good luck friends.
they're giving Sunday Ticket to new customers at no charge.
They always have that promo for new customers. Since my first year, I've not been able to get it free but if there is a way to do it I have no shame calling back right now.

called today. Been a customer since 2001. Said "cancel Sunday Ticket", got a recording talking about how the lockout is over and did I really want to cancel it. Said "yes" and was transferred to what I thought was customer retention. Obviously it wasn't as this guy was very short with me and cancelled it right away.

Waited about 15 min, called back and said "cancel service". Got a nice sounding lady on the other end of the line, and proceeded to tell her that I saw that Dish was giving the RedZone channel for free. She went into a canned speech about everything the Sunday Ticket package has, so on and so forth. She told me that this RedZone channel that Dish has didn't show entire games on it like DirectTV's does. I quickly stopped her and asked her if she knew what the "Red Zone" was. She politely said no, that she wasn't a sports fan. A minute or so later, I had her up to speed on what she needed to say when people like me call.

She placed me on hold and came back and said that she was going to give me 1/2 off the Sunday Ticket pkg, plus an extra $20 off my bill through the calendar year.

I didn't need any upgrades to my equipment, and I have every channel they offer, so she threw in the rest of MLB Extra Innings and gave me ESPN gameplan for free as well.

So, if you call to cancel Sunday Ticket, make sure you say cancel service or else I doubt you go to customer retention.

Had DirecTV for 10 years, couldnt get it in an apt I moved into last year, so I got FIOS instead. This weekend Im moving back into DirecTV territory, and I cant get FIOS in my new place...soooo, looks like Im gonna be a new DirecTV customer, and oh hell yes am I gonna milk em for everything I can.

Gonna try to get some free premium channels for as long as possible, Sunday Ticket, HD package, and whatever I need for the DirecTV on Demand service.

Will report back with results next week.

Still 6 months left on contract but I haven't called in a year and noticed the $10 charge for Hi Def was back on my statement, so I made the "CANCEL" call today. Got $20 off my bill for the next year, the $10 Hi Def charge removed + the $10 credit each month for Hi Def for 2 years, and then persuaded the guy to throw in Starz + Showtime free for 6 months. I didn't push for much more considering I want to push hard when my contract expires since I will have more leverage then.

The $20 off for a year and free premium channels for 6 months seems to be what most people get. I would like to see more posts about the negotiation tactics that seem to work best for you guys because I know some of you are good at getting the $100-$250 one time credit, free equipment upgrades, free Sunday Tickets, etc.. Do you just keep saying "no" when they offer more until they quit offering? Do you flat out tell them what you want to stay with DTV?

Was looking into starting DirecTV today, and was calling them to see about combining internet and telephone service with their TV. I am doing this because of sudden dislike of Verizon; and guess what, they are bundling Verizon products with theirs in my neighborhood!!

Had looked at their website and was going to get the premier package, with 1 HD DVR and 2 HD receivers (had to get those, in order to be able to do the whole house DVR - you get used to that in FIOS, hard to give up) and as we were going over pricing, our number were off (I had done a spreadsheet based on the online numbers so I could see the whole 2 year process and to convince my CPA wife!) she then started telling me about some charges for each of the receivers so they can watch separate programs. Seemed odd to me so I dropped the call and will call back, I got the rough costs for the internet and phone, which is all I need for now.

This leads me to the question does DirecTV really charge you $5-$10/month per receiver for watching separate programming? Or did I just misunderstand her? There was nothing related to that on the online charge description.

Was looking into starting DirecTV today, and was calling them to see about combining internet and telephone service with their TV. I am doing this because of sudden dislike of Verizon; and guess what, they are bundling Verizon products with theirs in my neighborhood!!

Had looked at their website and was going to get the premier package, with 1 HD DVR and 2 HD receivers (had to get those, in order to be able to do the whole house DVR - you get used to that in FIOS, hard to give up) and as we were going over pricing, our number were off (I had done a spreadsheet based on the online numbers so I could see the whole 2 year process and to convince my CPA wife!) she then started telling me about some charges for each of the receivers so they can watch separate programs. Seemed odd to me so I dropped the call and will call back, I got the rough costs for the internet and phone, which is all I need for now.

This leads me to the question does DirecTV really charge you $5-$10/month per receiver for watching separate programming? Or did I just misunderstand her? There was nothing related to that on the online charge description.
According to my bill you get charged $6 for each extra receiver past the 1st one. They charge you for the 1st one but then credit it back in the adjustments. The whole-home is just $3 extra each month, but only works on HD receivers. DVR ($7) and HD ($10) is charged only once no matter how many receivers you have that have those features. Also, an important thing to consider for those looking to go to another service like I was thinking of doing recently, DTV's HD-DVR has 100 hours of HD recording capacity and 400 hours of digital capacity. Much larger than any one else. I record a lot, so this got my attention by the CSR who gave me a good deal to stay. You can learn a lot about your system if you are willing to spend a little time on the phone with an "intelligent" CSR.

Yesterday there was an ad in the paper that new subscribers could get a rate of $30 for the basic channel package plus free HD, free NFL Sunday Ticket and all the premium channels and free for 6 months. I'm already a customer, so I called and asked them if I could simply cancel my service and then immediately sign up again as a new customer in order to be eligible for a new deal. They told me that they would charge me a penalty of $20 a month from now until the end of my current contract some time in 2012. I said go for it, as that still would save me a pile of money- the cost of Sunday Ticket alone is less than the $20 fee times the number of months remaining on my deal. After I said that they offered me:

Free NFL Sunday Ticket

Free HD

A discounted rate of $59.99 for the Choice Extra channel package

A $200 credit on my account

I got my DTV installed on Monday. We've had two short thunderstorms here in BMore, and in both cased, my sat signal went out. In one case it was out for about 15 minutes. In the other, it went out for about a minute.

What can I do about this? I'm not happy with the performance, especially if this is going to happen any time some precipitation falls from the sky.

Called up. Gave the 'it's not fair you're giving the Sunday Ticket free to new customers when I've been a loyal customer for 5+ years. I want to cancel' speech.

Free Sunday Ticket

$30 off the bill for the next 12 months

'The Z Machine said:
No comments on the "rain fade" issue? Is this common?
Hard to say how common it is, but it's not uncommon. We never lose our feed during a normal rainstorm, but sometimes we do in heavy rain or snow.It happens to us a lot less since we had a guy come out and realign our dish. We did that because our second feed was kinda spotty but it ended up also making everything more consistent and less vulnerable to error.Unfortunately to some degree it's unavoidable, though. That's why they pay so much for Sunday Ticket rights and cling to them for dear life- because that's the only thing keeping DirecTV from being obsolete.

'The Z Machine said:
No comments on the "rain fade" issue? Is this common?
Hard to say how common it is, but it's not uncommon. We never lose our feed during a normal rainstorm, but sometimes we do in heavy rain or snow.It happens to us a lot less since we had a guy come out and realign our dish. We did that because our second feed was kinda spotty but it ended up also making everything more consistent and less vulnerable to error.Unfortunately to some degree it's unavoidable, though. That's why they pay so much for Sunday Ticket rights and cling to them for dear life- because that's the only thing keeping DirecTV from being obsolete.
Yeah Id say its common but not automatic in rain/storms.Sometimes mine goes out when a storm is on the way and its not even raining yet, and sometimes it doesnt go out when its storming heavily.Back in '04, when we had 4 or 5 hurricanes pass through the county where I live in a month, we never lost signal once during those storms, and that included 60 MPH winds. I have no idea how, but it happened.

Yesterday there was an ad in the paper that new subscribers could get a rate of $30 for the basic channel package plus free HD, free NFL Sunday Ticket and all the premium channels and free for 6 months. I'm already a customer, so I called and asked them if I could simply cancel my service and then immediately sign up again as a new customer in order to be eligible for a new deal. They told me that they would charge me a penalty of $20 a month from now until the end of my current contract some time in 2012. I said go for it, as that still would save me a pile of money- the cost of Sunday Ticket alone is less than the $20 fee times the number of months remaining on my deal. After I said that they offered me: Free NFL Sunday TicketFree HDA discounted rate of $59.99 for the Choice Extra channel packageA $200 credit on my account
That was exhausting. $15 off per month over the next 2 years. blah blah blah.... you get the renewal discount... blah blah blah. End result is that the discount cancels out the cost of the NFL ticket. Next year I'll do a conference call with you and let you do the talking.

Users who are viewing this thread