What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Carson Palmer contract extension (1 Viewer)

Big Papi

Footballguy
Who Dey! Looks like Palmer is a Bengal for life!!!The Bengals have signed Carson Palmer to a 6 year contract extension: link

The Bengals announced Thursday that Pro Bowl quarterback Carson Palmer has agreed to a six-year extension that puts him in Cincinnati through the 2014 season.What some industry sources are calling the biggest deal in the history of the NFL at $118 million over nine years came through negotiations between Bengals vice president Katie Blackburn and agent Dave Dunn of Athletes First in talks that were initiated by the club and began several weeks ago.Dunn said Thursday that the deal pays Palmer $30 million over the next 13 months and is structured differently than Peyton Manning’s seven-year, $98 million deal because it offers more salary cap flexibility via a mix of option bonuses, roster bonus, and salary“Carson only wanted to do the deal if it would help keep the team together financially,” Dunn said. “Carson’s concern was not the money. It was doing it within a structure to sign other core players.”Palmer didn’t want to disrupt a game week with the news, but had no choice since timing was such a factor. Friday at 4 p.m. is the deadline for using salary cap room for the 2005 season. The Bengals figured to have used up all of their reserve that was somewhere between $3-4 million, plus they can use ’05 as a pro-ration year to spread out roster and other bonuses throughout the year and lessen the cap hit of each year.Palmer, finishing the third year of a six-year deal, appeared at a pre-practice news conference with Lewis at Paul Brown Stadium and reiterated his desire to keep the team, particularly the offensive line intact with all his starting linemen due up after the 2006 season.“It’s a good day for the Bengals. It’s a good day for Cincinnati,” Lewis said.

Anyone know how long Chad Johnson is signed for???
He signed a contract extension last year that lasts through either 2008 or 2009. Don't have the specifics off the top of my head, but I can try to dig them up.

Thats a whole lotta :moneybag: but he's worth it. Good signing by the Bengels. They will be a force for years to come
The article says the the :moneybag: is structured such that it will still give the team flexibility to sign/resign other guys, rather than hamstringing the organization. During the press conference, Coach Lewis was talking about how the team took advantage of having some extra space under the cap this year, which helped them get this deal done. I think they were able to put a good amount of his bonus against this year's cap and start prorating things from this year rather than next year.

Anyone know how long Chad Johnson is signed for???
He signed a contract extension last year that lasts through either 2008 or 2009. Don't have the specifics off the top of my head, but I can try to dig them up.
I looked it up and here's the info: link
Wide receiver Chad Johnson signed a five-year contract extension Wednesday that will keep him with the Bengals through 2009.

"I want to stay in Cincinnati ... until I'm 40," Johnson said on his cell phone from the Yager Stadium press box in Oxford, where he was watching the Miami-Marshall game.

Johnson, 25, is in his third year of a four-year contract that's paying him a base of $426,500.

The extension adds five years to his current four-year deal. Johnson declined to say how much the contract was worth, though it was reported to be for an estimated $25 million in new money with a signing bonus of $10 million-$12.5 million.

So much for the brain doctor saying Carson Palmer didn't have the neurological makeup to be a franchise QB... :lmao:

For those that are curious, here is some contract info on some of the key cogs of the Bengals offense.

Carson Palmer is signed through 2014: link

Rudi Johnson is signed through 2009: link

Chris Perry is signed through 2008: link

Chad Johnson is signed through 2008: link

TJ Houshmandzadeh is signed through 2008: link

Chris Henry is signed through 2007: link

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that are curious, here is some contract info on some of the key cogs of the Bengals offense.

Almost reminds me of the Spurs. Maybe the next Dynasty????

O/U on number of times before 2014 contract will be restructured?
Hard to say. A contract going out that far will certainly be revisted every few years, but there does not appear to be any "must restructure" type provisions like what McNair is currently facing with his contract. There were not a lot of specifics, but the contract appears very flexible in terms of how the Bengals will get Carson his money. That could go a long way in avoiding major going forward issues.

On paper it looks great, but it's hard to believe that the team will keep all of them with the salary cap. They'd have to make some cuts somewhere, no?

On paper it looks great, but it's hard to believe that the team will keep all of them with the salary cap. They'd have to make some cuts somewhere, no?
Not in the next few years. They have recently "shown the money" to Carson, Chad, Rudi and TJ just in the past two seasons. So, at least for the next couple years, there should be no issues with these guys. The remaining big question is the OL. Jones and Steinbach are two young guys that could cost them lenghty and relatively pricy contracts - certainly for Jones at LT. But, if they can lock them down, and Willie continues to play the next couple years, this offense will hum.

Kind of hard to say since nobody knows the future but, looking at thisThread, the cap is going to increase up to 95mil. That would put the bengals 24mil under the cap for 2006. If they are still way under the cap after FA signings and rookie signings, probably would be smart to restructure some contracts to give them more of their money in 2006. Who knows though.

Thanks for finding this.. :thumbup:

Let's hope the Steelers extend Roethlisberger's contract at the end of next season so we have both of these QBs in the AFC North for years to come.

Nice rebound from the Akili Smith fiasco - nice job by the Bengals going back to the well with another highly drafted QB. Glad it worked out for them - many other teams would have shied away.

Nice rebound from the Akili Smith fiasco - nice job by the Bengals going back to the well with another highly drafted QB. Glad it worked out for them - many other teams would have shied away.
:goodposting: The Bengals also had the notable David Klingler fiasco, they were due for some good luck with a franchise QB pick.

I still remember when Drew Bledsoe signed a "lifetime" contract with New England. Ahhhh... memories.Not that I'm criticising the move- which I like a lot. I'm just saying... 9 years is an awfully long time. We'll see how this shakes out 5 years from now.I always wondered why more teams didn't extend players' contracts right at the very end of the season, using up all of the remaining cap space for that season. Especially the Eagles, who are routinely WELL under the cap. It's not like there's any benefit to having the money sitting there unspent. If I'm 5 mil under the cap, and my best player has 2 years remaining, I tack an extra season on to the end of his contract and give him a 5 mil bonus using this season's cap to get him to sign it. Bam, instant contract extension, and not only does it not HURT your cap situation, it actually HELPS it, because 3 years from now your best player will be playing for a veteran minimum salary.

I always wondered why more teams didn't extend players' contracts right at the very end of the season, using up all of the remaining cap space for that season.
Because if they don't do it, the owner has an extra $5 million. That's a lot of ivory back scratchers.

wonder what "out" room they've got. What if he gets hurt and is done like Pennington supposedly is? What if he just is having an especially good year and it's nothing like the norm for his future?I know contracts aren't guaranteed but what's the bonus? Is it that essentially he can never be cut?

The entire offensive line becomes UFA in 2007? :unsure:
They're working on locking up the OLine this offseason. If they're able to do that, then the Bengals can really focus their draft on improving on D. In Marvin We Trust

I do like how the Bengals are steadily improving. I think thier Oline is one of the best in the league as far as talent age and continuitity. I hope they get them all signed and I like that Palmer mentions this as his priority and part of the reason for his extension.I am suprised thier contracts are not staggered. I hope to see extensions for Levi and Anderson soon. Steinbach is another good one. Solid foundation.I agree with that settled the Bengals can then focus most of thier rookie picks on the defensive side of the ball. Nice to be able to do that although it does take away some of thier BPA flexibility.

This is what makes the NFL so great.How long ago was it that CIN was a laughing stock? Two years ago? Cerainly three. Now they are positioning themselves to be THE young ascending team in the league for years to come. Kudos to CIN and I think they have the best chance of any team to go into INDY and get a win.

I always wondered why more teams didn't extend players' contracts right at the very end of the season, using up all of the remaining cap space for that season. Especially the Eagles, who are routinely WELL under the cap.
The Eagles have typically used most if not all of their cap room on resignings mid-year. That is a SOP for the Eagles front office. They have been near the top of the list in actual dollars spent the last 5 years or so.Some of the guys they've locked up in that span mid-year (off the top of my head):WestbrookSheppardS. BrownDawkinsMcNabbD. WalkerPinkstonFraleyHicksProbably missing a couple but that is a pretty expansive list.

I always wondered why more teams didn't extend players' contracts right at the very end of the season, using up all of the remaining cap space for that season. Especially the Eagles, who are routinely WELL under the cap.
The Eagles have typically used most if not all of their cap room on resignings mid-year. That is a SOP for the Eagles front office. They have been near the top of the list in actual dollars spent the last 5 years or so.Some of the guys they've locked up in that span mid-year (off the top of my head):

Westbrook

Sheppard

S. Brown

Dawkins

McNabb

D. Walker

Pinkston

Fraley

Hicks

Probably missing a couple but that is a pretty expansive list.
Thanks for the clarification. I always thought it would be an extremely cap-savvy move, and was surprised I hadn't heard anything about it from such a cap-savvy team. Good to know that I wasn't losing my mind after all. :)

Users who are viewing this thread