What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***CHAINSAW*** Gears of War 4 (beta Apr 18th, release Oct 11th) (1 Viewer)

hammerburst is god gun...
Only when playing on a server near you. When I play on west coast it is beast mode; on east coast it's okay but nothing special and easily takes double the burst shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree that the maps are a weak point.  Even the ones that don't suck, like Reclaimed for example, are just knockoffs of previous maps (Mercy in Gears 3).
The maps are the weak point so far but they are supposed to be releasing 24 maps in 12 months(doubt it). There are only 3-4 that are good maps so far but honestly I have played the same few maps so much in the core mode that it has tilted me on them. Still haven't played some of the maps more than 1-2 times because of the stupid exit every game when playing with more than 2 people.

The maps are the weak point so far but they are supposed to be releasing 24 maps in 12 months(doubt it). There are only 3-4 that are good maps so far but honestly I have played the same few maps so much in the core mode that it has tilted me on them. Still haven't played some of the maps more than 1-2 times because of the stupid exit every game when playing with more than 2 people.
Just don't make em like they used to.

Imagine the good press they would have received if they just straight had upgraded  the four favorite maps from GoW1-3 each and then added 8 new ones for GoW4. 20 maps to start, 12 of them classics.
I kinda get the sense that they're really trying to push this game in a different direction and setup a new story arc separate from the old games.  1 legacy MP map.  Very limited MP options of older characters.  Etc.

The game shipped with 10 maps. I definitely have only played 2-3 of those once or not at all. I usually get Dam, Foundation, Harbor, and Relic with a little on the farm map.

The game shipped with 10 maps. I definitely have only played 2-3 of those once or not at all. I usually get Dam, Foundation, Harbor, and Relic with a little on the farm map.
Yea like last night with me and Manakin. Relic, relic, harbor, harbor, relic. Good night.

I had to look them up, but I will say that I've played all of them at least a few times.  I agree that 10 maps is light though.

I kinda get the sense that they're really trying to push this game in a different direction and setup a new story arc separate from the old games.  1 legacy MP map.  Very limited MP options of older characters.  Etc.
The characters are not very limited it just since the Coalalition is owned by M$, thus the free to play bull#### on a full priced game. All of the characters are unlocked  via the pay to lotto of the loot boxes. It's ####### dumb and they are being destroyed by fans and the press for it, rightfully so.

madshot31 said:
The characters are not very limited it just since the Coalalition is owned by M$, thus the free to play bull#### on a full priced game. All of the characters are unlocked  via the pay to lotto of the loot boxes. It's ####### dumb and they are being destroyed by fans and the press for it, rightfully so.
Yeah but like.....there's JD, Vintage JD, Color Blast JD, Day of the Dead JD....I don't need the same sprite in a different outfit, I want new characters.  Or even like Cole, Thrashball Cole, MVP Cole....they all looked different, it wasn't the same Cole in different outfits.

Yeah but like.....there's JD, Vintage JD, Color Blast JD, Day of the Dead JD....I don't need the same sprite in a different outfit, I want new characters.  Or even like Cole, Thrashball Cole, MVP Cole....they all looked different, it wasn't the same Cole in different outfits.
they saved the good stuff so u buy packs....$$$$$

One of the problems with the maps (among others) is that with some of the new game types all of the maps have to be perfectly symmetrical.  That was a constraint they didn't have with Gears 1 or Gears 2.  They can't make maps like Subway or Escalation or Process any more.  Of course, that's only part of the problem as plenty of the symmetrical maps from the early Gears games were awesome too.

Btw has anyone else noticed the GP being much tougher in this game than in the past?  Or maybe I just suck at it a lot more.  Gears 1 didn't track stats but I felt like I was usually winning.  Gears 2 I remember my W/L was around 4:1.  In this game it's something like 0.8:1.  WTH happened?  Did I just get old?

Any good? I'm considering it.  
Best Gears ever. It's gameplay is fantastic. Maps are decent/below average but many more to come for free. Some of the management decision like playlists have been dumb, but the game, as in gameplay is so damn good.

i couldve swore madshot posted something like they will shipped with 20+ maps somewhere....

One of the problems with the maps (among others) is that with some of the new game types all of the maps have to be perfectly symmetrical.  That was a constraint they didn't have with Gears 1 or Gears 2.  They can't make maps like Subway or Escalation or Process any more.  Of course, that's only part of the problem as plenty of the symmetrical maps from the early Gears games were awesome too.

Btw has anyone else noticed the GP being much tougher in this game than in the past?  Or maybe I just suck at it a lot more.  Gears 1 didn't track stats but I felt like I was usually winning.  Gears 2 I remember my W/L was around 4:1.  In this game it's something like 0.8:1.  WTH happened?  Did I just get old?
I have played on many very good teams in Gears. My w/l was never above 1.5/1. Even on stacked teams it's tough to do 5/1. Also they do their math weird/wrong. They use 0.5 as a base if you win one and lose one.

i couldve swore madshot posted something like they will shipped with 20+ maps somewhere....
Nope, I actually never knew how many maps there were until Pete and I were guessing the total the other night because most of them look the same. They will have 24 more maps by 12 months though.

I think part of the problem is that they're really pushing competitive MP - like, legit competitive, tournaments, etc.  Can't have unbalanced maps if you're gonna do that.  Subway wasn't symmetrical but was relatively even, I thought.  But a map like Hail, if you got ####ty spawn on Hail you were screwed.

If you're playing solo, win/loss is such a crapshoot dependent on your teammates.

I think part of the problem is that they're really pushing competitive MP - like, legit competitive, tournaments, etc.  Can't have unbalanced maps if you're gonna do that.  Subway wasn't symmetrical but was relatively even, I thought.  But a map like Hail, if you got ####ty spawn on Hail you were screwed.

If you're playing solo, win/loss is such a crapshoot dependent on your teammates.
They say that but it's so dependent on the connection speed. And I don't even mean faster connection is better. It seems like the slower the better because you get rewarded with the lag compensation. When you can mow down 12 guys in round 1 instagibbing everything and then 3 rounds later it takes you 3 or 4 shots to do 75% damage while you're getting one shot its terribly inconsistent.

I have played on many very good teams in Gears. My w/l was never above 1.5/1. Even on stacked teams it's tough to do 5/1. Also they do their math weird/wrong. They use 0.5 as a base if you win one and lose one.
I could have sworn I remembered us chasing stats in Gears 2 trying to get our numbers on that stats page they had above 4.0 for W/L and above 2.0 for K/D.  Unfortunately I think that was in social and it looks like those stats no longer exist.  Maybe it was just funky math on their part though.  The ranked stats do still exist and I just looked at those (though I only have 225 matches there) and in ranked I was at 1.62 W/L (139 wins, 86 losses) and 1.68 K/D.

So far in Gears 4 I am 0.28 W/L (7 wins, 18 losses) with a 0.81 K/D.   :X

This is still with the same crew I was running with way back then.

They did their first balancing update recently and have talked about some future changes including the dumb micro transaction system. 

Last night i played 8 games with Zeus and  we were just absolutely stomping. The teams felt fairly even matched even though we went 7-1. We won half the matches in sudden death or 2v2. Every match the two of us combined to go a 25-6, 21-4, 31-8, 29-5, you get the picture. We basically stuck near each other with lots of rifle play and shotgun support when needed or rushed. Lots and lots and lots of call outs on enemy positions similar to competitive players and we were constantly beating 2v3 or 2v4 with one or none of us dying. This worked even from across many maps were one of us would call out anenemy they were engaged with and the other would hammerburst or snub the guy for 30-50 points of damage from a mile away to help out a ton.

:TDoss: This stupid game can feel so damn good sometimes and then other days it just kicks you in the nuts. Last night was cloud 9 of gameplay.

edit: hooked on phonics done good for me

Been a little under the weather of late.  Should be on in the coming days (probably not tonight, going to the hockey game).

They did their first balancing update recently and have talked about some future changes including the dumb micro transaction system. 

Last night i played 8 games with Zeus and  we were just absolutely stomping. The teams felt fairly even matched even though we went 7-1. We won half the matches in sudden death or 2v2. Every match the two of us combined to go a 25-6, 21-4, 31-8, 29-5, you get the picture. We basically stuck near each other with lots of rifle play and shotgun support when needed or rushed. Lots and lots and lots of call outs on enemy positions similar to competitive players and we were constantly beating 2v3 or 2v4 with one or none of us dying. This worked even from across many maps were one of us would call out anenemy they were engaged with and the other would hammerburst or snub the guy for 30-50 points of damage from a mile away to help out a ton.

:TDoss: This stupid game can feel so damn good sometimes and then other days it just kicks you in the nuts. Last night was cloud 9 of gameplay.

edit: hooked on phonics done good for me
I wonder if they re-worked the matchmaking in the latest update too because I experienced the same last night.  I'm not sure my crew and I have ever won a game of escalation before last night yet last night in our first match we won 7-0 with 7 dominations.  And we kept winning after that.

The new maps were nice for a minute. Then it got old playing just checkout and drydock over and over. Especially drydock with no mortar. Hopefully they mix them in well to the rotation instead of having to go to the one game mode to get your fix.

Beat 1-50 on horde on hardcore last night with some randoms who I think play a lot of horde.  All 5 with mics, though I think 3 of them were partied up so they all knew each other beforehand.  There is a hell of a lot of strategy involved that I feel like we never even think about.

I like it a lot.  Like I said about Gears 3, this game has simply built on the best of the series and made it better.  It's the same Gears gameplay with more fluid movement.  The weapons that everyone hated from Gears 3, sawed-off and retro have been either removed entirely (sawed-off) or turned into a pickup weapon (retro).  Honestly I really think the weapon balance is great right now; there are no "cheap" deaths.  

The new game modes are solid.  Dodgeball is fantastic and Escalation is the new competitive MP.  Arms Race, though I'm not the biggest fan, does make for interesting strategic play.

The maps leave a bit to be desired but I don't think there's any consensus terrible maps.  To that end, there are no great maps either, though everyone seems to really like Reclaimed.  I also don't like how they try to nickel-and-dime you for added characters and weapon skins and whatnot, though I suppose that's what every game is doing these days.

I like that there is an active competitive scene for Gears 4.  The series will never reach the heights of Gears 2 being a major MLG player, but the fact that there is still a very competitive market with investment from e-sports outfits leads me to believe that Xbox isn't going to just ditch the game and let it die.

Bottom line is that it's pretty much what I expected and wanted.  It's a slightly-slicker, slightly-more-polished version of Gears 3.  It's still the same Gears series that we love without any gimmicky changes.  I hope that the FBG community sticks around, seems like we have a small but still dedicated team...Madshot & Co, me, Manback, Uni, Sluttmonkey, etc.  I think Dude hates us but he's still around somewhere.  It won't be the same nostalgia feeling that you guys had with Gears 1 leagues, but it's a pretty great game IMO.

Well my buddy and I finished Campaign tonight and all I can say is, that's it?  It was just one not very long chase to get Kait's mom and then a 30 second cutscene that explains nothing about anything.  

Really disappointed with it actually. You can beat the whole game in about 8-9 hrs and the payoff is ####. At least with Gears 1, the ending felt like we accomplished something. 

Well my buddy and I finished Campaign tonight and all I can say is, that's it?  It was just one not very long chase to get Kait's mom and then a 30 second cutscene that explains nothing about anything.  

Really disappointed with it actually. You can beat the whole game in about 8-9 hrs and the payoff is ####. At least with Gears 1, the ending felt like we accomplished something. 
The ending cutscene does have a major plot twist that you'd miss if you weren't paying close attention (don't want to post spoilers).  I assume you saw it but not sure.  It sets up the future games in the series for sure.

I agree that it was too short.  Took me 8 hr 36 minutes on hardcore and I was going slowly looking for collectibles (found like 75%) etc.  

The ending cutscene does have a major plot twist that you'd miss if you weren't paying close attention (don't want to post spoilers).  I assume you saw it but not sure.  It sets up the future games in the series for sure.

I agree that it was too short.  Took me 8 hr 36 minutes on hardcore and I was going slowly looking for collectibles (found like 75%) etc.  
Yea but is it really a plot twist? I mean it's an explanation as to why they didn't kill Kaits mom right away. But the swarm = locust thing was never explained and neither was the storms.

I don't read the books but my friend does and he thinks the storms have something to do with the Hammer of Dawn but they don't hint a damn thing about it in game. Just hey look at this sweet lightning storm you have to run through. 

I was very underwhelmed.

Yea but is it really a plot twist? I mean it's an explanation as to why they didn't kill Kaits mom right away. But the swarm = locust thing was never explained and neither was the storms.

I don't read the books but my friend does and he thinks the storms have something to do with the Hammer of Dawn but they don't hint a damn thing about it in game. Just hey look at this sweet lightning storm you have to run through. 

I was very underwhelmed.
I think it's more of an explanation of what they were doing to Reyna vs. the other captives, and theoretically sets up the next game or two in the series where we can expect Kait to be a focal point.  There's a lot that they've never really addressed.  Like how the queen in the old games was so familiar with Adam Fenix.  Or the Sires being the possible connection between humans and locust in Gears 2.  

Overall I do agree with you, the campaign leaves a bit to be desired.  I was very surprised at how short it was.  

Took the plunge yesterday since it was down to $30 or whatever. DL'd last night, gonna check it out tonight. :chainsaw:

Played one game at halftime of the NC State game... 7-1. Shotgun actually works, holy crap!!!

Had a good time last night.  I actually really enjoyed that Escalation game we played even though it took like 40 minutes.  I've generally shied away from the gametype for fear of running into hardcore teams but we were put in a pretty even one.  We should play it more often.

I'm off all next week and look forward to breaking the seal on this thing with you guys.  

Merry Christmas Dustin, Sara, Pete, Chase, Barley, Mark, big worm and anybody else I missed. 

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
 I'm off all next week and look forward to breaking the seal on this thing with you guys.  

Merry Christmas Dustin, Sara, Pete, Chase, Barley, Mark, big worm and anybody else I missed. 
#### you

is that part of the season pass? 2 maps is kinda weak if so...
So far they have released four new maps and took away two old ones. They are in general circulation right now. In the first week they are in the special playlist, which has been converted back to social crossplay.

Lol, you know, I've strongly suspected and even dropped a few hints that I thought you were who you are, but up until right now I wasn't 100% sure. 

:lmao:  At all those Cowboys Eagles convos. 

Merry Christmas Dude! 
Nah it's just me. I don't have time for aliai I'm just messing with you. We need to get a private room with 10 people some time though. We have 3 and I know Dustin et al has about 5 or 6. Let's do this thing. Light this candle.

Users who are viewing this thread