What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Champ Bailey (1 Viewer)

Lott's Fingertip

Footballguy
I don't follow IDPs closely, so some insight from the pool would be helpful.

Is Champ Bailey healthy and, if so, is he still a shut down corner?

Denver homers?

cobalt_27 said:
He never was a shutdown corner in the first place.
Champ Bailey 2005 was arguably the greatest CB season of all time. Led the league in ypa allowed. Led the league in INTs despite being the least targeted starting CB in the NFL. 8 of his 10 INTs either came in the red zone (i.e. stopping a major scoring threat) or which wound up going for TDs of his own. When a QB threw to his man, Bailey was as likely to get his hands on it (either INT or defend the pass) as the WR was. Did it all against the toughest defensive rules CBs have ever faced in the history of the NFL. Despite the fact that Taylor had the best season of his awesome career, Bailey was robbed for the DPOY award. It's trendy to say that there have been no shut-down CBs since Deion Sanders. It's wrong, but it sure is trendy. Champ Bailey *WAS*, in fact, a shut-down CB. Is he anymore? No... but he was.

He's still the best CB in the league when he's healthy if you ask me, I still think he has the good talent especially when he's 100%.

cobalt_27 said:
He never was a shutdown corner in the first place.
Champ Bailey 2005 was arguably the greatest CB season of all time. Led the league in ypa allowed. Led the league in INTs despite being the least targeted starting CB in the NFL. 8 of his 10 INTs either came in the red zone (i.e. stopping a major scoring threat) or which wound up going for TDs of his own. When a QB threw to his man, Bailey was as likely to get his hands on it (either INT or defend the pass) as the WR was. Did it all against the toughest defensive rules CBs have ever faced in the history of the NFL. Despite the fact that Taylor had the best season of his awesome career, Bailey was robbed for the DPOY award. It's trendy to say that there have been no shut-down CBs since Deion Sanders. It's wrong, but it sure is trendy. Champ Bailey *WAS*, in fact, a shut-down CB. Is he anymore? No... but he was.
I think you mean 2006, which was indeed a great year. But, he has not been even remotely in the realm of a dominant corner throughout his career. If you're using YPA as a featured measure of his prowess as a Shutdown Corner, you'll also find that he was not all that much of a shutdown guy in years surrounding 2006. According to KC Joyner, Bailey ranked 66th in 2004, 36th in 2005, and 56th in 2007. Anyone who's followed your posts over the last several years understands that you, as a Bronco fan, really want people to believe Champ is a stud. We get it. He had really nice '05 and '06 campaigns. Otherwise, there are/were plenty other corners much better.

I think you mean 2006, which was indeed a great year. But, he has not been even remotely in the realm of a dominant corner throughout his career. If you're using YPA as a featured measure of his prowess as a Shutdown Corner, you'll also find that he was not all that much of a shutdown guy in years surrounding 2006. According to KC Joyner, Bailey ranked 66th in 2004, 36th in 2005, and 56th in 2007.

Anyone who's followed your posts over the last several years understands that you, as a Bronco fan, really want people to believe Champ is a stud. We get it. He had really nice '05 and '06 campaigns. Otherwise, there are/were plenty other corners much better.
I'm not using YPA as a featured measure of his prowess as a Shutdown Corner. I'm using "avoided by the opposition" as a featured measure of his prowess as a Shutdown Corner. According to Football Outsiders, even as recently as the 2007 season, the only CBs whom opposing teams actually avoided to a statistically significant degree were Nnamdi Asomugha and Champ Bailey, the latter of whom led the league in success rate in addition to being avoided. That's two shut-down years, in addition to '05 (where he started out "shut down", but then got injured and morphed into simply dependable and obscenely opportunistic).Also, being a Broncos fan has nothing to do with how impressed I've been with Champ Bailey (other than that I see more of him than most people). I'm not unnaturally high on Broncos players- quite the contrary, I'm frequently lower on Broncos players than the general consensus, or do you need me to dig up a bunch of old posts on Brandon Marshall to demonstrate? I'm just convinced that Deion himself could not have done any better than Champ has done recently if he had to contend with the same rules and "points of emphasis". In fact, he'd probably do significantly worse, especially given his unwillingness to tackle.

drew726 said:
There's only one shutdown corner left in the league and he's in the worst franchise in the NFL.
Bailey has had a HOF career.Having said that, Asomugha is the greatest I've ever seen. By a lot.

Sorry Raider Nation, but I think the Lions have your once proud franchise beat. Millen is gone, and they are making better moves. Same cant' be said for the Crypt Keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread