What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** Chargers 2024 Thread - Because No One Demanded It **** (1 Viewer)

With Cousins signing in Atlanta, I figure the Chargers lost one of their potential trade down partners. Will that put the Vikings in trade up for QB mode?

I fully expected Cousins to sign in Atlanta. It removes Atlanta as a trade down partner but adds Minnesota.

Does this mean no on Bowers? It might.

I wouldn't think so. When Harbaugh was in SF, he had Vernon Davis and also another blocking TE who played a lot, like Vance McDonald. If the Chargers had Bowers and Dissly, Bowers would be in the Davis role and Dissly would be in the McDonald role. So they are not mutually exclusive. That said, I think this makes it easier for the Chargers to pass on Bowers.

Does this mean no on Bowers? It might.
I guess Dissly is mainly a run blocking TE. And I've read opinions that run blocking is a weakness for Bowers. If those things are true, they could be complementary TEs.
Isn’t Dissly kinda meh?

Great run blocker for a TE. PFF graded him as the 3rd best run blocking TE in 2023. TE run blocking is a must in the Harbaugh/Roman offense.

How do we feel about Gus? On first blush I like it. But it will depend on the numbers. Would Aaron Jones have been better?

How do we feel about Gus? On first blush I like it. But it will depend on the numbers. Would Aaron Jones have been better?

I think the Chargers signing Gus was the most obvious match in the league entering free agency. I’m happy with it.

There were certain positions they absolutely needed to address with relatively cheap veterans before the draft, including TE, RB, C, and CB. Some also thought safety, though IMO that seemed less important. 3 for 5 position groups so far.

Gerald Everett (CHI) and Kenneth Murray (TEN) gone. Looks like the Chargers will get decent compensatory picks as a result.

What will we do without captain wasted energy on defense? I thought Murray would land with the Raiders for sure. Interesting to see someone besides Telesco value him much.

Jason_OTC
The only team that may still have significant salary cap hurdles to clear is the #Chargers. Unless they did something last night they are around $25M over. Will need to decide on Bosa, Allen, Mack, and Williams before 4PM. Those four count for over $142M on the cap

It's also worth noting that trades cannot be enacted prior to 4PM, so they have to be under the cap before they can trade anyone. I can't see a way that they can get under the cap by 4 without cutting one or more of those big four contracts. If an extension was reasonable for the club and acceptable to the player, it feels like it would have gotten done prior to the last few hours. Especially when we are talking about extensions with more than one player.

Last edited:
Jason_OTC
The only team that may still have significant salary cap hurdles to clear is the #Chargers. Unless they did something last night they are around $25M over. Will need to decide on Bosa, Allen, Mack, and Williams before 4PM. Those four count for over $142M on the cap

It's also worth noting that trades cannot be enacted prior to 4PM, so they have to be under the cap before they can trade anyone. I can't see a way that they can get under the cap by 4 without cutting one or more of those big four contracts. If an extension was reasonable for the club and acceptable to the player, it feels like it would have gotten done prior to the last few hours. Especially when we are talking about extensions with more than one player.

I think they will cut Mike Williams. That will get them there by 4 pm EST. They will need to clear more space to sign Edwards, Dissly, and Gilman, but they don't have to sign them today.

I have been expecting them to extend Allen, and possibly Mack, though I think they should trade Mack. It is possible they have executed one or more contract extensions and just haven't chosen to announce it yet.

They've got flexibility to do stuff now. Like trade Bosa.

Per Spotrac, the Chargers converted ~$16M in salary and $5.5M roster bonus to a signing bonus for Mack to generate $10.7M in cap savings. I think that means they added a void year for 2025, meaning Mack will still be a UFA after 2024, but the Chargers will take a $10.7M dead cap hit for him in 2025. Unless the sign him to a contract extension before then.

I believe this means that he is no longer a trade candidate, since trading him this year would now save only $1.5M against the 2024 cap. They would need to get a real haul to make that trading him worth it, and it seems unlikely a team will want to give a haul for him now. Although I suppose it is worth noting that a team acquiring him now would only owe him ~$1.5M in salary in 2024 and nothing more. He would certainly seem to be an incredible value to an acquiring team. But... I can't see a team giving up a 1st or 2nd round pick for him despite that, and I think he is more valuable playing for the Chargers than a 3rd round pick or later.

Now that Mack is set to be a UFA after this season (as is Edge Rumph for whatever that's worth), combined with his age, I'm skeptical they want to trade Bosa. That would mean next season, out of current players expected to make the 2024 final 53 man roster, only Tuli would remain. Again, unless they want to extend Mack for his age 34 (and beyond?) season(s).

In addition, trading Bosa right now is selling low on him. IMO it is more likely that he will be more valuable next offseason after playing under the new coaching staff. Odds are he will be healthier, and he ought to play well under a better defensive staff and with Mack and Tuli also in the edge group.

Per Spotrac, the Chargers converted ~$16M in salary and $5.5M roster bonus to a signing bonus for Mack to generate $10.7M in cap savings. I think that means they added a void year for 2025, meaning Mack will still be a UFA after 2024, but the Chargers will take a $10.7M dead cap hit for him in 2025. Unless the sign him to a contract extension before then.

I believe this means that he is no longer a trade candidate, since trading him this year would now save only $1.5M against the 2024 cap. They would need to get a real haul to make that trading him worth it, and it seems unlikely a team will want to give a haul for him now. Although I suppose it is worth noting that a team acquiring him now would only owe him ~$1.5M in salary in 2024 and nothing more. He would certainly seem to be an incredible value to an acquiring team. But... I can't see a team giving up a 1st or 2nd round pick for him despite that, and I think he is more valuable playing for the Chargers than a 3rd round pick or later.

Now that Mack is set to be a UFA after this season (as is Edge Rumph for whatever that's worth), combined with his age, I'm skeptical they want to trade Bosa. That would mean next season, out of current players expected to make the 2024 final 53 man roster, only Tuli would remain. Again, unless they want to extend Mack for his age 34 (and beyond?) season(s).

In addition, trading Bosa right now is selling low on him. IMO it is more likely that he will be more valuable next offseason after playing under the new coaching staff. Odds are he will be healthier, and he ought to play well under a better defensive staff and with Mack and Tuli also in the edge group.
So given your position on this, which I agree with, what happens to Allen? The player I most wanted them to retain.

So given your position on this, which I agree with, what happens to Allen? The player I most wanted them to retain.

I have been saying all offseason that I expect them to extend him for 2-3 years. I posted last year that they should extend him, and I wish they had, because it would have made this cap situation better.

I agree with most of what you're saying here, but, as I think we've discussed before, I'm not sure trading Bosa now is selling low or that he'll be more valuable next off season. I really don't think the odds are he will be healthier - he's not getting younger or less brittle, and he's got an established injury track history. The games he played last year were with Mack and Tuli, he didn't exactly blow anyone away. I really think both parties would be better off if Bosa was somewhere else this season.

I'm starting to have similar misgivings about Derwin James. He and Bosa are highly touted, but the results in terms of team success have been underwhelming. Maybe a regime change will put them in a better position to be real difference makers.

I agree with most of what you're saying here, but, as I think we've discussed before, I'm not sure trading Bosa now is selling low or that he'll be more valuable next off season. I really don't think the odds are he will be healthier - he's not getting younger or less brittle, and he's got an established injury track history. The games he played last year were with Mack and Tuli, he didn't exactly blow anyone away. I really think both parties would be better off if Bosa was somewhere else this season.

I'm starting to have similar misgivings about Derwin James. He and Bosa are highly touted, but the results in terms of team success have been underwhelming. Maybe a regime change will put them in a better position to be real difference makers.
Aside from his lapses in judgement, I still like James. This team needs QB pressure. Bosa must stay healthy or I’d rather he be somewhere else.

Anyone got details on the Bosa restructure?

Will this have any impact on what they're doing with Allen?

Chargers also signed pass catching TE Hayden Hurst who's had some serious injury issues lately. Attempt to lessen the urgency of getting Bowers in the draft, or just back end rotational depth?

Chargers also signed pass catching TE Hayden Hurst who's had some serious injury issues lately. Attempt to lessen the urgency of getting Bowers in the draft, or just back end rotational depth?
Anything more than back-end depth is unrealistic. Hurst hasn't been a good player for a while, and his concussions are a major deal. I'm expecting him to be the #3 TE behind Dissly and Parham.

They might be out on Bowens though with all these additions and having bigger needs at #5.

IMO the Chargers will want 4 TEs on the final 53 man roster. Right now, all they have is Dissly, Parham, Hurst, and Smartt.

Smartt is a practice squad caliber player at best and really doesn't fit the Harbaugh/Roman TE profile. IMO he should not make the final roster.

Hurst ended last season with a grade 3 concussion. I don't think they could reasonably count on him to be in their top 2 TEs.

But Parham is also a weak fit to the Harbaugh/Roman TE profile, and he has had problems staying healthy in the past. So I doubt they want him as one of their top 2.

It would be a perfect setup if they had Bowers as their top receiving TE, backup up by Parham, and Dissly as their top blocking TE, backed up by Hurst.

Not saying they will or should draft Bowers, but he would still be a great fit and it would still be adding a great weapon in the passing game for Herbert. He would be a much better receiving option than all of the others on day 1.

Not saying they will or should draft Bowers, but he would still be a great fit and it would still be adding a great weapon in the passing game for Herbert. He would be a much better receiving option than all of the others on day 1.
You like Bowers as a target more than Harrison Jr?

You like Bowers as a target more than Harrison Jr?

No. I would take MHJ if he is there at 5. If he isn’t, I would trade down if possible. If not possible to trade down, I would draft Bowers. This is how I feel today. Opinion could change by the time of the draft.

Did not see that coming. Popper said Allen refused a renegotiation/pay cut. Sad to see him go, but I kinda get it.

Did not see that coming. Popper said Allen refused a renegotiation/pay cut. Sad to see him go, but I kinda get it.
I get it too... but settling for a 4th? Wait a day or two and see if someone can up the offer.

I like Palmer, but as a 3 or a 4. Johnston showed signs of improvement, but he's not a 2 yet.

Still, I don't completely hate the idea of biting the bullet for a year or two as the franchise sheds some of this cap debt. At least I'd see it coming, unlike last year's colossal disappointment.

I see all of this as nothing but positive for you guys. Gotta shed some payroll and get younger overall. There may be some short term pain here but it looks to me like they are thinking year 2 and beyond.

I believe you are in good hands. But they gotta re-set and go from there.

I see all of this as nothing but positive for you guys. Gotta shed some payroll and get younger overall. There may be some short term pain here but it looks to me like they are thinking year 2 and beyond.

If that’s what they are doing they should have kicked Bosa to the curb too.

If that’s what they are doing they should have kicked Bosa to the curb too.
I figure if Allen would have agreed to restructure like Bosa and Mack he'd still be here. They're obviously focused on bringing sanity back to their cap situation and having the percentage of cap space tied up in 4 guys the way it was isn't a good idea. Also, WR seems like its becoming as fungible as RB, quality edge rushers not so much. They may not replace 100% of what they've lost in Williams and Allen this year, but I imagine they have a plan to make up a decent amount of it at a hugely reduced cost.

Emotionally it sucks, but logically they're making the right moves.

I get it too... but settling for a 4th? Wait a day or two and see if someone can up the offer.

I like Palmer, but as a 3 or a 4. Johnston showed signs of improvement, but he's not a 2 yet.

Still, I don't completely hate the idea of biting the bullet for a year or two as the franchise sheds some of this cap debt. At least I'd see it coming, unlike last year's colossal disappointment.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that there wasn't a better deal out there somewhere. Allen is 31 and has a pretty big contract to swallow, not many teams are a fit for that situation.

I'm not a Johnston fan, I'm hoping they've got several draft scenarios worked out to fill the vacancies and that they'll figure out how to give Davis a good chunk of the available reps too. Right now he's pretty much the only speed they have on offense.

Wait a day or two and see if someone can up the offer.

They couldn't wait long. Allen had a $5M roster bonus due on 3/17.

WR seems like its becoming as fungible as RB

What do you mean by this? If you mean that WRs are becoming as interchangeable as RBs, I disagree, and the NFL market disagrees based on the disparity between RB and WR salaries.

Williams is replaceable. Allen isn't, unless they are able to draft MHJ at 1.5. Even then, I don't expect he will be as good as Allen from day 1.

Emotionally it sucks, but logically they're making the right moves.

I have liked or at least had no issue with any of their moves so far except trading Allen. I would have extended him to address his 2024 cap. Heck, I advocated extending him last season. Too bad Telesco chose to restructure him instead... had Allen been extended instead of restructured, he would probably still be a Charger right now.

I'm not a Johnston fan, I'm hoping they've got several draft scenarios worked out to fill the vacancies and that they'll figure out how to give Davis a good chunk of the available reps too. Right now he's pretty much the only speed they have on offense.

They will fill WR spots on the roster, but I very seriously doubt they will backfill Allen and Williams with comparable performance.

Users who are viewing this thread