What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** Chargers 2024 Thread - Because No One Demanded It **** (3 Viewers)

Gr00vus

Footballguy
Hi Everybody!

I'm not going to even reference previous threads. We'll start clean. Like the Chargers are sort of doing, but with the same lousy ownership.

Jim Harbaugh was in town yesterday. I hope that went well. Did anyone hear anything meaningful in relation to that?

If they have to keep the #5 pick, who do you think they would/should select there? I'm hoping they find a partner to trade down and add picks with myself.

Jim Harbaugh was in town yesterday. I hope that went well. Did anyone hear anything meaningful in relation to that?

I heard that neither party is in any rush. Harbaugh hasn't settled on leaving Michigan, and he's hoping to hear other offers. Chargers plan to turn every stone for HC and GM before making a decision on either one.

I heard that neither party is in any rush. Harbaugh hasn't settled on leaving Michigan, and he's hoping to hear other offers. Chargers plan to turn every stone for HC and GM before making a decision on either one.
Looking at Bolts from the blue, some of the posters there were mentioning possible sanctions at Michigan which might make Harbaugh want to move. I have no idea if that's true.

Who are the other folks the Chargers are really interested in? I don't have a sense just based on the scatter shot collection of invites they've sent.

And I'll repeat this mainly just to make @Just Win Baby aware of this thread, but it'd be nice if they could figure out a way to retain Gilman. I know, cap issues...

If they take too much time there won’t be anyone left. No need to rush but let’s not be the last team to hire a coach please.

DraftKings has Harbough at -150 to be the next Chargers coach.
Harbaugh is just milking it to get a new contract at Michigan. Heard (on the radio) that he was asking for a clause where he can't be fired for NCAA violations and to be the highest paid coach.

Harbaugh is just milking it to get a new contract at Michigan. Heard (on the radio) that he was asking for a clause where he can't be fired for NCAA violations and to be the highest paid coach.
And along those same lines, the Chargers only have an interest in coaches they can get on the cheap. Harbaugh's interview is just to appease the fans into making them think they are taking this HC hunt seriously. I doubt they even talked numbers.

And along those same lines, the Chargers only have an interest in coaches they can get on the cheap. Harbaugh's interview is just to appease the fans into making them think they are taking this HC hunt seriously. I doubt they even talked numbers.
"Not the head coach of an NFL team" is currently second choice at +150.

I find myself aggravated and depressed when considering the teams in this year's playoffs. Looking at where the Dolphins, Texans, Lions, Packers, Browns, etc. were 3 or 4 years ago and where they are now compared to what the Chargers have done over that time makes the Chargers look pretty sad. At least the Raiders still suck on the field - they're killing it financially though, eventually you'd think that would lead to more success on the field.

I look at the people anticipating guys like Sirianni and McCarthy getting fired because they only got their team into the playoffs, and that's viewed as failure, and I think - you have no idea what failure really is.

I find myself aggravated and depressed when considering the teams in this year's playoffs. Looking at where the Dolphins, Texans, Lions, Packers, Browns, etc. were 3 or 4 years ago and where they are now compared to what the Chargers have done over that time makes the Chargers look pretty sad. At least the Raiders still suck on the field - they're killing it financially though, eventually you'd think that would lead to more success on the field.

I look at the people anticipating guys like Sirianni and McCarthy getting fired because they only got their team into the playoffs, and that's viewed as failure, and I think - you have no idea what failure really is.
Been there for years as a Lion’s fan. It took a cultural change at the ownership level. When Sheila Ford took over as principal owner in 2020, she fired coach Patricia and GM Quinn. She replaced them with Campbell and Holmes. Things did not start well but the players fought hard on the field for Campbell and Holmes has done an A+ job in roster construction. The cohesion of everyone in the office is apparent. It has been said many times that Charger’s ownership is cheap and unwilling to invest in the right people. If that is the case it will be a challenge to sustain any success consistently. Only with good leadership can there be sustainable success. Good luck, I root for you guys because I am a huge fan of Herbert. I hope his career is not wasted because a billionaire is unwilling to make the necessary investment.

I disagree that he is "just milking it." He won the title at Michigan this year, the culmination of a steady build of Michigan from also ran into national power again. Meanwhile, he was suspended this year for stupid NCAA BS and then again for the sign stealing, which is something not unique to Michigan and about which the NCAA admitted they had no proof of Harbaugh having knowledge or involvement. I expect the combination of these things makes this an excellent time for Harbaugh to jump back to the NFL.

He hired an NFL agent. He has already had multiple in person NFL interviews. I'm not saying he will definitely jump to the NFL, but I think he is at least very seriously considering it.

As for asking for the Michigan contract clause: 🥱 . To the extent he will consider returning to Michigan on a multi-year contract, passing up multiple NFL opportunities, he doesn't want to do that only to get fired in the middle of next season due to more NCAA/B1G fallout. Seems perfectly reasonable IMO.

This has seemingly been true in the past, but I believe what John Spanos has been quoted as saying about this for the current search. The Chargers still have a chance to become a franchise that will gain some traction in the LA market. They will lose that chance if they blow another head coach hire by cheaping out again.

I think Harbaugh will be the hire. If he isn't, I think the hire could very well be Vrabel or Ben Johnson. None of those guys are coming cheap. If they instead hire another weak coordinator, like Aaron Glenn, for example, they will turn away a good portion of the small remaining fan base. I think they know that and want to avoid it.

I disagree that he is "just milking it." He won the title at Michigan this year, the culmination of a steady build of Michigan from also ran into national power again. Meanwhile, he was suspended this year for stupid NCAA BS and then again for the sign stealing, which is something not unique to Michigan and about which the NCAA admitted they had no proof of Harbaugh having knowledge or involvement. I expect the combination of these things makes this an excellent time for Harbaugh to jump back to the NFL.

He hired an NFL agent. He has already had multiple in person NFL interviews. I'm not saying he will definitely jump to the NFL, but I think he is at least very seriously considering it.

As for asking for the Michigan contract clause: 🥱 . To the extent he will consider returning to Michigan on a multi-year contract, passing up multiple NFL opportunities, he doesn't want to do that only to get fired in the middle of next season due to more NCAA/B1G fallout. Seems perfectly reasonable IMO.

This has seemingly been true in the past, but I believe what John Spanos has been quoted as saying about this for the current search. The Chargers still have a chance to become a franchise that will gain some traction in the LA market. They will lose that chance if they blow another head coach hire by cheaping out again.

I think Harbaugh will be the hire. If he isn't, I think the hire could very well be Vrabel or Ben Johnson. None of those guys are coming cheap. If they instead hire another weak coordinator, like Aaron Glenn, for example, they will turn away a good portion of the small remaining fan base. I think they know that and want to avoid it.
Hey there JWB. Try walking into your employer tomorrow and telling them that you want a contract where you don't get fired if you cheat or break the companies rules. I'd hire an NFL agent too if it netted me an extra $5M a year with my current gig. I don't think he'll be the Chargers coach and will come sit down for your crow if he is.

Try walking into your employer tomorrow

With all due respect, one of the dumber narratives we see around here is comparing jobs in major pro and college sports to the 'normal' jobs of posters in this forum. I pretty much dismiss your sentence on that as inapplicable and irrelevant.

You can come back and eat crow if he takes any NFL coaching job, not just the Chargers job, since you are dismissing all of them.

Try walking into your employer tomorrow

With all due respect, one of the dumber narratives we see around here is comparing jobs in major pro and college sports to the 'normal' jobs of posters in this forum. I pretty much dismiss your sentence on that as inapplicable and irrelevant.

You can come back and eat crow if he takes any NFL coaching job, not just the Chargers job, since you are dismissing all of them.
You know, you are a horse's *** but my horse's *** so I'll graciously accept your love.

Maybe this is captured in one of the other threads, but I guess Vrabel is in town to interview for the Chargers' HC job today.

Also they have met with David Shaw in person, with the prior Fraser interview, they've now got the Rooney rule covered.

Last edited:
Following for the Ian Cunningham angle. Current Bears assistant GM who recently interviewed for the Chargers opening. Sounds like he has been more than qualified to take over a GM role for a couple years now and I think he'd be an interesting fit there.

He was part of the management team that tore down the Khalil Mack Bears and initiated the current rebuild. Considering the Chargers situation I think that model may be of interest considering the cap situation. Purge 75% of that roster and rebuild around Herbert and Nabers at #5.

Following for the Ian Cunningham angle. Current Bears assistant GM who recently interviewed for the Chargers opening. Sounds like he has been more than qualified to take over a GM role for a couple years now and I think he'd be an interesting fit there.

He was part of the management team that tore down the Khalil Mack Bears and initiated the current rebuild. Considering the Chargers situation I think that model may be of interest considering the cap situation. Purge 75% of that roster and rebuild around Herbert and Nabers at #5.

He is my #1 preferred candidate. I think they are planning to hire Harbaugh today and then get his input on the top GM candidates they have interviewed.

Cunningham is one of four GM candidates interviewed by the Chargers with some type of connection to Harbaugh or his brother. The others are Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds, Ravens director of player personnel Joe Hortiz, and Giants assistant GM Brandon Brown. I would think Brown would have the lowest chance of getting the job, but I could see any of the other 3 getting it. The good news as a Chargers fan is that I think all of Dodds, Cunningham, and Hortiz will likely do a better job than Tom Telesco did over the past 11 years.

Man I really hope they don't go WR at 5. How about trading down and targeting Bowers or Oline? I would much prefer that.

Man I really hope they don't go WR at 5. How about trading down and targeting Bowers or Oline? I would much prefer that.

I agree that they should trade down if possible. Just not sure how possible it will be.

Hard to say this far from the draft if there will be teams anxious to trade up to #5. If only 2 QBs are drafted in the top 4, it seems very possible a team will be interested in trading up to #5 to draft the 3rd QB... but if 3 QBs go in the top 4, it seems unlikely a team will want to move up to draft the 4th QB. Whoever ends up as the top WR will also likely be gone, whether Harrison or Nabers, and I doubt a team would trade up for the one who remains. I don't see a team trading up for Bowers or OT. So someone will have to emerge during the draft prep/scouting process to come to make this a likely scenario.

If they stick at #5, I think drafting Harrison/Nabers or Bowers is very likely. As of today, it seems that there aren't any edge, IDL, or CB players worth that pick, and I doubt they will use that pick on OT since they have LT Slater and are effectively stuck with RT Pipkins for another year. They certainly shouldn't use that pick on a lower premium position like RB, IOL, LB, or S.

I don't think the Chargers will hire any HC that they have to be in a bidding war for. The reason they are interviewing everyone under the sun is so that they can make an informed decision among the guys that nobody else wants. If they were dead-set on a big name, just meet with the top guys and a Rooney ruler and make an offer worth accepting.

Does the Spanos family really care about the LA market? Making the move improved the value of the franchise, and I think that's all they really care about. The only time they have have ever pursued a HC with name recognition and experience at the job was Schottenheimer - a guy who lost his only two playoff games and tried to sabotage the franchise before he was fired because he couldn't get along with the GM. The next closest guy with any mustard on him when hired was Kevin Gilbride - a brief and disappointing experience for all involved.

I'll be overjoyed if I'm wrong and Harbaugh, Vrabel, or even Gus win the job, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think the Chargers will hire any HC that they have to be in a bidding war for. The reason they are interviewing everyone under the sun is so that they can make an informed decision among the guys that nobody else wants. If they were dead-set on a big name, just meet with the top guys and a Rooney ruler and make an offer worth accepting.

Does the Spanos family really care about the LA market? Making the move improved the value of the franchise, and I think that's all they really care about. The only time they have have ever pursued a HC with name recognition and experience at the job was Schottenheimer - a guy who lost his only two playoff games and tried to sabotage the franchise before he was fired because he couldn't get along with the GM. The next closest guy with any mustard on him when hired was Kevin Gilbride - a brief and disappointing experience for all involved.

I'll be overjoyed if I'm wrong and Harbaugh, Vrabel, or even Gus win the job, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yes, I think they care about the market. Making the move did not improve the value of the franchise on a relative basis. The value of all franchises has grown, but the Chargers value has grown at a below average rate, in large part because they are a stadium tenant and thus are deprived of a revenue source most franchises have. They also carry substantial debt for the relocation that consumes a good amount of their operating income.

They need to become much more successful to try to grow the franchise value, and, more importantly, their revenue streams. I absolutely think they care about that. Whether or not they are smart enough to figure out a path to doing that is another question, and the jury remains out on that. The head coach and GM hires will be valuable data points on that.

Is Mike Williams a goner?

Is Johnson a bust?

I think Williams will be gone. An interesting question I haven't seen answered is when the Chargers can release or trade him. Does he have to pass a physical before he can be released? And when will that likely be, given he had ACL surgery on Oct 25? I assume the team cannot trade him until he can pass a physical for the acquiring team.

IMO it is premature to say Johnston is a bust. He had a disappointing rookie season, but he was also known to be more of a project entering the NFL than the other WRs drafted in the early rounds of the 2023 draft (which made it a bad draft pick). He now gets a full NFL offseason to build on his rookie experience and will soon have a new and hopefully better coaching staff. We should be able to more fairly answer this question a year from now.

Yes, I think they care about the market. Making the move did not improve the value of the franchise on a relative basis. The value of all franchises has grown, but the Chargers value has grown at a below average rate, in large part because they are a stadium tenant and thus are deprived of a revenue source most franchises have. They also carry substantial debt for the relocation that consumes a good amount of their operating income.

They need to become much more successful to try to grow the franchise value, and, more importantly, their revenue streams. I absolutely think they care about that. Whether or not they are smart enough to figure out a path to doing that is another question, and the jury remains out on that. The head coach and GM hires will be valuable data points on that.

Your entire first paragraph points to reasons why they will probably go cheap. Add to that the fact that they still are paying Brandon Staley not to coach.

WE might think they should try to grow the franchise and revenue streams, but that doesn't mean they do. Historically, we know that they have done everything as half-assed as they possibly could. But now they're going to do things differently after being satisfied to simply be owners of an NFL team for 39 years? Eh.... maybe. Again, not holding my breath.

Your entire first paragraph points to reasons why they will probably go cheap. Add to that the fact that they still are paying Brandon Staley not to coach.

WE might think they should try to grow the franchise and revenue streams, but that doesn't mean they do. Historically, we know that they have done everything as half-assed as they possibly could. But now they're going to do things differently after being satisfied to simply be owners of an NFL team for 39 years? Eh.... maybe. Again, not holding my breath.

Yes, I believe they handle these GM and HC hires differently. We will find out very soon.

Reports out there that the Chargers and Harbaugh have agreed on his salary, probably more than what Michigan was offering, and now they're working out personnel details.

Our favorite team might actually have a real coach.

Reports out there that the Chargers and Harbaugh have agreed on his salary, probably more than what Michigan was offering, and now they're working out personnel details.

When I read that his wife (and daughter?) were accompanying him to LA, I figured he wasn't going to leave without a contract. Waiting for the official announcement.

When I read that his wife (and daughter?) were accompanying him to LA, I figured he wasn't going to leave without a contract. Waiting for the official announcement.
They better not McCree this up.

In somewhat related news the Raiders are indeed signing Telesco to be GM. :whistle:

(Guess which team Kenneth Murray plays for next season.)

Last edited:
In somewhat related news the Raiders are indeed signing Telesco to be GM. :whistle:

(Guess which team Kenneth Murray plays for next season.)

I expect Telesco to be a bad GM for the Raiders, as he was for the Chargers. There have been multiple media reports on this praising Telesco's talent evaluation, which is laughable based on Chargers draft results.

That said, there are two primary reasons he could be better:
  1. He was a first time GM with the Chargers, and I think he was at least a bit worse in his early years than in his later years. He certainly has an opportunity to learn from the 11 years he spent with the Chargers and apply some improvements. I think the fact that he is moving straight from one GM job to the other without a break makes it harder for him to really reflect on his Chargers performance and identify areas to change.
  2. It is possible that his poor performance with the Chargers was caused in large part by interference from President of Football Operations John Spanos, the owner's son. It's hard for fans to know how to assign credit/blame between them, since Telesco may have merely been the face of the front office without being the actual driver. To the extent that is true, if the Raiders don't have a similar level of interference, Telesco could perform better.

I'm thinking similar thoughts. Cautiously pessimistic about the chances of Telesco doing well for the Raiders, but maybe he's learned something, and maybe the Spanoses were the real problem putting a lid on his ability to do what he really thought best.

If this happens, does Moore hang on? Seems a weird pairing somehow.
Word is that Harbaugh will bring Greg Roman with him. He also wants his son to be the Special Teams coordinator.

Harbaugh has been a winner everywhere he goes, so if this happens, it's a good thing. Seriously downgrading two of the coordinator positions seems like a bad start though.

They better not McCree this up.
They better not turn this into a playoff game with a 27 point lead against a team that doesn't deserve to be there.

They better not turn this into the #3 pick in the '98 draft.

We could do this all day (or at least until we slit our wrists).

He also wants his son to be the Special Teams coordinator

This has been misinterpreted. His son, Jay, was a special teams assistant (not ST coordinator) at Michigan while also coaching RBs, TEs, and other position groups. I expect Ficken to be Harbaugh's ST coordinator.

I also see no reason to believe Roman, if he is Harbaugh's OC, to be a downgrade from Moore.

Last edited:

This has been misinterpreted. His son, Jay, was a special teams assistant at Michigan while also coaching RBs, TEs, and other position groups. I expect Ficken to be Harbaugh's ST coordinator.

I also see no reason to believe Roman, if he is Harbaugh's OC, to be a downgrade from Moore.
I definitely hope you're right about Ficken, but I'd be interested in your reasoning in thinking that Roman, who has mostly overseen middle-of-the-road offenses, is at least as good as Kellen Moore, who had led top-of-the-line offenses before coming to LA.

This has been misinterpreted. His son, Jay, was a special teams assistant at Michigan while also coaching RBs, TEs, and other position groups. I expect Ficken to be Harbaugh's ST coordinator.

I definitely hope you're right about Ficken, but I'd be interested in your reasoning in thinking that Roman, who has mostly overseen middle-of-the-road offenses, is at least as good as Kellen Moore, who had led top-of-the-line offenses before coming to LA.
I honestly think Roman would be a good fit for your offense. Ran a pretty good offense in Baltimore with a QB who couldn't really throw the ball that great at the time. Now he would have a QB who can really wing it and we know he can coordinate a running game.

I'm not impressed with Kellen Moore. Mike McCarthy coordinating more out of Dak tells me all I need to know.

I honestly think Roman would be a good fit for your offense.
This might be the biggest problem with his selection. Roman's always been a run-first or run-heavy guy. This team might not have any RBs worth having next year with mediocre run blockers in front of them. I'm not sure we want Herbert running the way Lamar used to.

Herbert and Harbaugh are Championship Caliber in terms of great arm and Harbaugh brings a winning culture, will recreate the environment around there
Harbaugh is one of the rare Head Coaches you can hire that isn't all 1 side of the ball. Despite being an NFL QB, his Defense was largely why he won in Michigan
They barely threw a forward pass in some of those wins and I'm not taking anything away from Harbaugh, he will do very well with Herbert.

I would expect Harbaugh to build out both sides of the Line and be committed to the run and not just throw it 50x a game.
It will be a new day in LA for the Bolts if and when Harbaugh is announced. One thing Jim doesn't have to worry about is the almighty QB position.
And I get that Herbert hasn't won a Playoff game but the ingredients will all be there for success and it won't take that long either IMHO

I don't see how the Raiders and Broncos will be able to keep up with the Chiefs and Bolts over the next couple seasons.
AFC just gets tougher and tougher

Last edited:
I'd be interested in your reasoning in thinking that Roman, who has mostly overseen middle-of-the-road offenses, is at least as good as Kellen Moore, who had led top-of-the-line offenses before coming to LA

Roman's NFL OC history (10 seasons):
  • SF OC (2011-2014): finished 11, 11, 11, 25 in points scored... with Alex Smith and Kaepernick at QB
  • BUF OC (2015-2016): finished 12, 10 in points scored... with Tyrod at QB
  • BAL OC (2019-2022): finished 1, 7, 17, 19 in points scored, with QBs Huntley, Anthony Brown, and Josh Johnson starting 5 combined games in each of those last 2 seasons
  • That is an average finish of 12.4
Moore has been an OC for 5 seasons and his offenses finished 6, 17, 1, 4, 21 in those seasons... average finish of 9.8. I don't see that as a big gap, particularly when Roman had average to below average QBs for about 65% of his games, while Moore had QBs other than Dak and Herbert for only about 25% of his games.

Also, Moore's 2023 offense was his worst... who is to say how much credit McCarthy deserves for those Dallas offenses? Dallas certainly didn't miss a beat without Moore this season (#1 in points, #5 in yards).

If this happens, does Moore hang on? Seems a weird pairing somehow.
Word is that Harbaugh will bring Greg Roman with him. He also wants his son to be the Special Teams coordinator.

Harbaugh has been a winner everywhere he goes, so if this happens, it's a good thing. Seriously downgrading two of the coordinator positions seems like a bad start though.
I don't think Roman is the way to go there but it would definitely signal that Harbaugh wants to install a strong running game and not just one that has a chunk play here or there
Force teams to play up in the box, open up the back side of the defense for Herbert to connect on big plays.

Would Harbaugh come in and actually go with a conservative approach?
I understand many will defend Roman but he was run out of Baltimore and they are 1 game from the Super Bowl

I'd be interested in your reasoning in thinking that Roman, who has mostly overseen middle-of-the-road offenses, is at least as good as Kellen Moore, who had led top-of-the-line offenses before coming to LA

Roman's NFL OC history (10 seasons):
  • SF OC (2011-2014): finished 11, 11, 11, 25 in points scored... with Alex Smith and Kaepernick at QB
  • BUF OC (2015-2016): finished 12, 10 in points scored... with Tyrod at QB
  • BAL OC (2019-2022): finished 1, 7, 17, 19 in points scored, with QBs Huntley, Anthony Brown, and Josh Johnson starting 5 combined games in each of those last 2 seasons
  • That is an average finish of 12.4
Moore has been an OC for 5 seasons and his offenses finished 6, 17, 1, 4, 21 in those seasons... average finish of 9.8. I don't see that as a big gap, particularly when Roman had average to below average QBs for about 65% of his games, while Moore had QBs other than Dak and Herbert for only about 25% of his games.

Also, Moore's 2023 offense was his worst... who is to say how much credit McCarthy deserves for those Dallas offenses? Dallas certainly didn't miss a beat without Moore this season (#1 in points, #5 in yards).
Yeah, though there were some differences in the details, the net result this past season was that Moore didn't seem to be any kind of improvement over Lombardi. In particular, the player utilization was baffling. Maybe that was coming from someone other than Moore. Regardless, we're not talking about replacing the second coming of Don Coryell here or anything. If Harbaugh's vision doesn't include Moore, I'll trust his judgement.

Users who are viewing this thread