What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** Chargers 2024 Thread - Because No One Demanded It **** (2 Viewers)

I don't think he'll be the Chargers coach and will come sit down for your crow if he is.

And along those same lines, the Chargers only have an interest in coaches they can get on the cheap. Harbaugh's interview is just to appease the fans into making them think they are taking this HC hunt seriously.

Yes, I believe they handle these GM and HC hires differently. We will find out very soon.

:coffee:

If this happens, does Moore hang on? Seems a weird pairing somehow.
Seems unlikely but they blocked him from interviewing for the Bears OC job a few days ago which seems to make it at least possible, though more likely they wanted to retain him until Harbaugh was official.

I don't think he'll be the Chargers coach and will come sit down for your crow if he is.

And along those same lines, the Chargers only have an interest in coaches they can get on the cheap. Harbaugh's interview is just to appease the fans into making them think they are taking this HC hunt seriously.

Yes, I believe they handle these GM and HC hires differently. We will find out very soon.

Congrats man, you nailed it.

Brown from the Giants is getting a 2nd interview for GM. Based on recent results, I think I'd prefer the Baltimore guy. Maybe we'd have Zay Flowers instead of Quentin hands of stone Johnson right now if he'd have been GM last year.

Yep, I'm happy to be wrong. If we can all point back to this day as the moment they got their crap together, I'll be even happier.

I was only basing my argument on the flimsiest of foundations: forty years of history.

Kellen Moore moves to Philly. Though the details may have been different, to me, the end result wasn't an improvement over Lombardi. Some of the player utilization decisions on offense were real head scratchers.

I like clearing things out to let Harbaugh implement his vision with people of his choosing. Hopefully Ficken fits into his plans.

Gregg Rosenthal made a great case for Gates on the Inside the NFL podcast yesterday. He mentioned...
  • if you put all of those finalists before the voters in 2010 and asked them which one was the most certain to make the Hall, Gates would have been the clear favorite
  • the all-time leader in TDs at his position
  • not only was he discussed as the best player at his position in his era, he remains in the discussion for best player at his position of all time
  • he was a 1st-team All-Pro three years in a row that coincided with Tony Gonzales' peak.

Nick Hardwick hired as an assistant offensive line coach. Interesting in that I don't think he had a previous Harbaugh connection, unlike most of the other hires.

I posted this on Saturday and updated it on Sunday. Meant to link it here and forgot: 2024 Roster Thoughts - Super Bowl Eve

Thoughts?
This roster sucks. You should post it in the Raider thread as a warning about Telesco's track record, but they seem content to blame Telesco's lousy job on the ownership and the coaches (whom he of course helped choose) (also I don't think their ownership is much better than the Chargers', the feather in his cap being he was smart enough to move to Vegas, and I don't think their coaching staff is good, so Telesco's environment is basically the same one in which he failed the first time).

I hate the reality of the math in the Bosa/Mack dispositioning, but I can't argue with it. Part of me thinks if you're getting rid of Mack, you may as well get rid of Bosa too, because he's going to age even worse than Mack, there's no sense in retaining him long term for a rebuild if you can get anything for him in a trade this offseason.

Humor me with Gilman one more time. What does this look like if they keep Gilman and get rid of Fox somehow? I don't have time to look at numbers, but it feels like Gilman is a better WAR guy than Fox.

I am on board with Bosa going away. He's often injured and hasn't had a signature game in forever. Mack, I think let go but IDK...meh overall. 5 sacks in one game or whatever was just a bad team performing badly against him I'd think.

Part of me thinks if you're getting rid of Mack, you may as well get rid of Bosa too, because he's going to age even worse than Mack, there's no sense in retaining him long term for a rebuild

It wouldn't surprise me if they move both, but trading Mack and keeping Bosa this offseason doesn't equate to keeping Bosa long term. IMO there is a high probability they will be able to trade Bosa for more next offseason than they can today, and they will have presumably gotten another season out of him to boot. I don't see how that isn't a winning decision, though admittedly I am assuming Bosa bounces back and stays mostly healthy, which is obviously not a given.

Humor me with Gilman one more time. What does this look like if they keep Gilman and get rid of Fox somehow? I don't have time to look at numbers, but it feels like Gilman is a better WAR guy than Fox.

I definitely think they could get rid of Fox. The Lightning Round podcast, which I like a lot, asserted last week that Fox is not a fit for what Harbaugh wants from his interior DL players, and they assumed he will be cut. He doesn't offer a lot of cap savings, but it's not nothing, so it makes sense if he truly isn't a fit.

As long as they make a number of the big moves discussed in my post and here (whether Bosa and Mack or just one of them), they will have the ability to manipulate the cap enough to keep Gilman. But, here's the thing about letting him go:
  • James is better at strong safety than free safety... I mean, he can play FS just fine, but it keeps him further away from the LOS, which reduces his ability to wreak havoc
  • But Gilman is also better at SS than FS... though he played well alongside James this season... he probably is not the ideal long term solution to play alongside James
  • Gilman also might sign a contract that helps to generate a comp pick if the Chargers let him walk... and Hortiz made it very clear in his introductory press conference that he highly values comp picks... as he should... and as Telesco never did...
Those things combined with the cap situation make me expect they will let Gilman go. But they did hire a coach who was on staff at Notre Dame when Gilman was there. It wouldn't surprise me if they keep him, but I don't think they should.

Part of me thinks if you're getting rid of Mack, you may as well get rid of Bosa too, because he's going to age even worse than Mack, there's no sense in retaining him long term for a rebuild

It wouldn't surprise me if they move both, but trading Mack and keeping Bosa this offseason doesn't equate to keeping Bosa long term. IMO there is a high probability they will be able to trade Bosa for more next offseason than they can today, and they will have presumably gotten another season out of him to boot. I don't see how that isn't a winning decision, though admittedly I am assuming Bosa bounces back and stays mostly healthy, which is obviously not a given.
I don't know that I'd want to gamble on Bosa being worth more next off season if there's a reasonable offer for him this season. He's not getting better, he's getting worse. If there's a reasonable offer that provides cap relief now...

Assuming chalk, with Harrison and the top 3 qbs not available at pick 5, are there any likely trade partners that would want to move up?

If not, do the Chargers really draft a TE at 5? I don't like it.

Assuming chalk, with Harrison and the top 3 qbs not available at pick 5, are there any likely trade partners that would want to move up?

If not, do the Chargers really draft a TE at 5? I don't like it.

Too early to know if anyone would trade up for QB4 or WR2 or Bowers or OT1 or any other player. I definitely want the Chargers to trade down if possible.

If the Chargers draft at 5 and Harrison is already taken, as of right now I like Bowers better than any other player for them. But I prefer that they trade down to 8-13 and hope to get Bowers there, and, if not, then get BPA there.

Bowers is absolutely going to be one of the top 5 graded players in this draft, and he matches (1) a huge positional need for the Chargers, (2) the Harbaugh/Roman offensive philosophy, and (3) the desire to provide another elite offensive target for Herbert. I would absolutely rather the Chargers draft Bowers than Nabers or Odunze, though I wouldn't be unhappy with either of those guys.

Last edited:
So hard to draft a TE top five, but this seems like a great fit for Bowers. Roman used Andrews a ton in Baltimore and this seems like a no brainer if they stay at five.

I wouldn't cry if the Chargers drafted Joe Alt at 5. He and Slater would (likely) be the best bookend tackles in the NFL... and both under age 25.

Like many people I think my best guess/prediction right now is that the draft starts with 3 QB's, not necessarily by the teams currently picking 1-3 but 3 will go, and then Harrison which would have the draft getting really interesting for when the Chargers are OTC because they could go in a number of directions that make sense, including of course moving back.

Hard team to predict and were you see almost every mock that has the first 3 picks as QB's start to diverge. I personally would guess Alt if they pick, but think they'll want to move back if they can.

They do need a TE badly so I would not be shocked by Bowers but he'd probably be my third prediction behind trading back or Alt, and frankly none of those may be right.

There was some chatter on these boards a few weeks back about the Ravens dealing Andrews or Likely and my thought on that was they'd most likely roll with both of them in 2024 and then move on from the one they don't extend following the 2024 season. Roman(ETA and Hortiz) ending up in LA does make me wonder however if inquiries won't be made now. Also would think they would be a "make sense" candidate to see if they can sign Gus Edwards for relatively cheap.

Last edited:
I don't really love taking Alt at 5. First off, it means moving a natural LT to RT, whether Alt or Slater. I know that can be done, but it is a different position that must be learned.

I also don't love it because it means wasting Pipkins. I don't love Pipkins, but he has a cap hit of $8.75M, and they cannot generate any cap savings by releasing or trading him. In the Chargers' current cap situation, I think it makes more sense to see if the new coaching staff can coach him up and allocate that first round pick to one of many other positions of need. If he doesn't play better in 2024, then they can more easily move on from him next season.

Furthermore, I'm skeptical Alt is BPA at 5, with presumably 3 or possibly even 4 QBs off the board before that pick.

I hope they trade back. Depending on where they end up, I could see them drafting Bowers, WR, CB, IDL, or even center if they trade back far enough. Those are all arguably bigger needs for the Chargers right now than RT.

Agree there is a chance they sign Edwards or possibly Justice Hill. I mentioned that was a topic in a recent Guilty As Charged podcast in the second post I linked above.

If they make that pick, which I don't think they should, they'd be mental to take Bowers over Nabers in my opinion.
I have read that scouts think Bowers has blocking issues. With Harbaugh wouldn't that be a negative?

It is reasonable to expect Harbaugh/Roman's top 2 TEs to fit the mold he had in SF, where he had Vernon Davis and another blocking TE2, like Vance McDonald. Bowers would fit the Davis TE role, not the McDonald TE role. Bowers' blocking is plenty good enough for that IMO.

If they make that pick, which I don't think they should, they'd be mental to take Bowers over Nabers in my opinion.

The reason I liked this post is because of the rookie contract, slotting, and the position premium. I was thinking about it last night and Daniel Jeremiah is making the rounds on Twitter today with a really similar argument. It's because Bowers plays TE, so the rookie slotting doesn't save you as much as a premium as it would an EDGE or QB or WR. Nabers is ultra talented and gives you a cost savings more appropriate for the first round.

Of course, we'll see what Harbaugh and company think of that when the draft rolls around. I just think that the savings on the positional premium behooves LA to take somebody like Nabers rather than a TE. What you do when you take a TE early is that you have a narrow gap between the franchise tag and the slotted value of the TE, so you don't get that much surplus, unlike compared to a WR, whose franchise tag would be much bigger than his slotted salary. The savings can be huge. What you're doing when you take a TE that early is you're paying him close to what the best free agents make at that position. So why not just pay the free agent, really? So goes the argument about the cost savings and positional importance.

The link:

I have read that scouts think Bowers has blocking issues. With Harbaugh wouldn't that be a negative?

It is reasonable to expect Harbaugh/Roman's top 2 TEs to fit the mold he had in SF, where he had Vernon Davis and another blocking TE2, like Vance McDonald. Bowers would fit the Davis TE role, not the McDonald TE role. Bowers' blocking is plenty good enough for that IMO.
Hmmm. could be or not be a fit. If in line then yeah no fit. as a hybrid catching TE, would be a fit. We'll see. seems like if you lose bosa and mack the line would need to be addressed at some point.

The reason I liked this post is because of the rookie contract, slotting, and the position premium. I was thinking about it last night and Daniel Jeremiah is making the rounds on Twitter today with a really similar argument. It's because Bowers plays TE, so the rookie slotting doesn't save you as much as a premium as it would an EDGE or QB or WR. Nabers is ultra talented and gives you a cost savings more appropriate for the first round.
I tried making that point yesterday in some thread where I was trying to explain why I though Bowers would fall father then people think and was trying to highlight the postional pay scale vs WR's, OT's, QB's and edge players all of which are Bowers main comp which I think pushes him down. Since then I've heard DJ's recent podcast last night were he broke down why he has Bowers going later in his mock draft.

There may not be a team picking inside the top 10 who needs to maximize their cost savings on their roster more then the Chargers. In other words a team with more cap issues. Between that and Bowers lack of big time blocking he just does not seem to make as much sense to me for the Chargers.

Of course DJ works for the Chargers and used to work their new GM. Not that they told him what they are doing, or even know themselves ,but when he's not remotely coming close to thinking Bowers goes that high to that team it's a voice worth listening to.

Of course DJ works for the Chargers and used to work their new GM. Not that they told him what they are doing, or even know themselves ,but when he's not remotely coming close to thinking Bowers goes that high to that team it's a voice worth listening to.

I actually had no idea about his employment history. So he's definitely worth considering, though as you note, he's not the final arbiter or say in what goes on. But if he's thinking about that concept, then surely the guy he used to work for is.

What you're doing when you take a TE that early is you're paying him close to what the best free agents make at that position. So why not just pay the free agent, really? So goes the argument about the cost savings and positional importance.

This is valid perspective, but it completely ignores performance on the field and positional need.

I completely understand that some believe that positional need should be ignored early in the draft, but I would say it should be weighted appropriately. For example, if the Chargers had the same grade on Bowers and Nabers and Alt, arguably they should weigh positional need/situation as much as positional value/importance.

The Chargers currently have 2 TEs under contract for 2024:
  • Donald Parham, who is probably ideally the TE3 in a Harbaugh/Roman offense... not TE1 or TE2 because he can't stay on the field and isn't a good run blocker
  • Stone Smartt, who is a practice squad caliber player who should not be on the final 53 man roster for the Chargers or any other team
IMO they will want to roster 4 TEs entering the regular season. So, who exactly are the best free agent TEs likely to be available this offseason? Per PFF free agent rankings, they are:

36. Schultz - Spotrac puts his likely free agent contract at 3 yrs, $34M
46. Henry - Spotrac puts his likely free agent contract at 1 yr, $7.6M
53. Fant
83. Everett - Spotrac puts his likely free agent contract at 2 yrs, $17.4M
113. Trautman
118. Hooper
119. Gesicki

Who is likely to provide better value over the next year, Bowers on the first year of his rookie contract or one of these free agents? It seems possible Schultz could deliver equal or better performance, but Schultz is probably unaffordable for the Chargers.

Over the next 5+ years? I think it's obvious the answer is Bowers, who is possibly going to have the best draft grade of any TE ever.

I also think fit is somewhat underrated in some of these discussions. Bowers is likely a better fit in the Harbaugh/Roman offense than, for example, Nabers. IMO Bowers is more likely to reach his max potential under Harbaugh's coaching staff than Nabers. That should also be a consideration IMO.

There may not be a team picking inside the top 10 who needs to maximize their cost savings on their roster more then the Chargers.

This is true for 2024 for sure. But not beyond, at least not as things stand right now. It's a one year problem, but drafting a player like Bowers is a 5+ year decision.

Plus, IMO it's a bit of a misguided application of positional cap savings. If the Chargers draft a rookie at 1.5, they are going to pay what the rookie cap dictates. It doesn't truly matter if that means they pay Bowers or Alt or Nabers, etc. That player will make that amount. IMO the better way to look at it is player combinations, e.g., what is better in the Harbaugh/Roman offense in 2024 (and possibly over a longer period like 4-5 years):
  • Nabers + reduced snaps for WRs Palmer, Johnston, Davis + free agent TE Henry at his market price
  • Bowers + elimination of TE Smartt from final roster + free agent WR at his market price
It obviously gets very subjective, and IMO defies trying to put the answer into a neat analytical box.

Note: I hope the Chargers trade down first and foremost. I'm not pushing for Bowers at 5. But I think he could legimately be BPA (i.e., highest graded player on the board) at 5.

Last edited:
Adding $30m to the salary cap ought to help. The Chargers definitely won't be competing for many FAs, but at least they won't have to run a fire sale.

Adding $30m to the salary cap ought to help. The Chargers definitely won't be competing for many FAs, but at least they won't have to run a fire sale.

IMO they will have to release Williams and Kendricks for sure. Those two moves would get them cap compliant by March 13, the start of the new league year.

But they will also have to eliminate or significantly reduce the cap hits of at least 2 of these 3 players: Bosa, Mack, Allen. That probably means trading/releasing at least one of them and extending at least one of their contracts.

And they will lose most of their own internal free agents who will get contracts that are too high above veteran minimum salaries for the Chargers to afford... like Ekeler, Everett, Michael Davis, and Gilman.

Maybe that's not a fire sale, but still going to be a tough offseason.

IMO they will have to release Williams and Kendricks for sure. Those two moves would get them cap compliant by March 13, the start of the new league year.

But they will also have to eliminate or significantly reduce the cap hits of at least 2 of these 3 players: Bosa, Mack, Allen. That probably means trading/releasing at least one of them and extending at least one of their contracts.

And they will lose most of their own internal free agents who will get contracts that are too high above veteran minimum salaries for the Chargers to afford... like Ekeler, Everett, Michael Davis, and Gilman.

Maybe that's not a fire sale, but still going to be a tough offseason.
I was bracing myself for MUCH worse.

But yes, you have a point, increasing the salary cap means other teams have more money to dangle in front of guys the Chargers might have been expecting to cheap out on.

Chargers.com released their latest Draft Tracker. Here's the breakdown:

Joe Alt, OT, ND - 6
Brock Bowers, TE, UGA - 4
Malik Nabors, WR, LSU - 2
Olu Fashanu, OT, PSU - 2

With Cousins signing in Atlanta, I figure the Chargers lost one of their potential trade down partners. Will that put the Vikings in trade up for QB mode?

With Cousins signing in Atlanta, I figure the Chargers lost one of their potential trade down partners. Will that put the Vikings in trade up for QB mode?
... and the Bears might be looking for an elite WR to go with their new QB.

Users who are viewing this thread