What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** Chargers 2024 Thread - Because No One Demanded It **** (2 Viewers)

while im sad to see keenan go.... redo ur deal or your gone.... this is rhe way..

team is snake bit... how many games have bosa/mack keenan/mikenwill even play together....

Chargers sign G/C Bradley Bozeman. I guess this reduces the urgency to spend a high pick on C this draft, but I don' think this guy is a long term solution either. I'm not sure I love the notion of him being the starter, but if opportunities arise in the draft to fill other positions having him here allows them that flexibility. He can't be worse than Clap can he?

What about Aiyuk? He's in trade discussions, right? Are they under the cap enough or more bleeding?

It would make no sense to trade Allen because he was a WR with a high cap number and trade for Aiyuk (or any other WR) who must be signed to a high cap number.

What about Aiyuk? He's in trade discussions, right? Are they under the cap enough or more bleeding?

It would make no sense to trade Allen because he was a WR with a high cap number and trade for Aiyuk (or any other WR) who must be signed to a high cap number.
Other than age?

They didn't trade him because of age. They traded him because he would not take a pay cut... so they traded him because of his cap hit.

I don't think you are going to see Hortiz and Harbaugh paying top 10 WR contract value going forward, and that's what Aiyuk would require. They would also have to give up draft capital to acquire another WR via trade, which is counter to Hortiz's stated approach.

The Chargers are not going to trade for or sign a premium WR.

So draft only? I honestly do not see a #1 wr on this roster. At best there are 3 #3's Palmer being 3/2. So you are saying run heavy right? Just like everyone is saying. One problem, no rb#1 on the roster either. This is shaping up to be a league worst rebuild for 2 years at least. Edwards is a plodder and can get to the goal line if within 3 yards. How are they going to get there?

So draft only? I honestly do not see a #1 wr on this roster. At best there are 3 #3's Palmer being 3/2. So you are saying run heavy right? Just like everyone is saying. One problem, no rb#1 on the roster either. This is shaping up to be a league worst rebuild for 2 years at least. Edwards is a plodder and can get to the goal line if within 3 yards. How are they going to get there?

I didn't say draft only. I said no premium free agents. I could definitely see a low cost veteran WR signing, especially a WR good at run blocking.

That said, I absolutely expect them to draft at least 1 WR.

This is shaping up to be a league worst rebuild for 2 years at least.

Completely disagree. You need to take a deep breath and put your faith in Hortiz and Harbaugh.

The offense is going to be good. Probably not top 5 good, but good. The defense is going to be good. Probably not top 5 good, but good. The special teams are going to be top 5 good. All of this barring major injuries, of course.

That is a whole team that is good. When was the last time we had that? Maybe 2018, though the defense was average, not good. In 2017, offense and defense were good, but special teams was bad. So we're really probably talking 2010 or earlier.

Patience.

I didn't say draft only. I said no premium free agents. I could definitely see a low cost veteran WR signing, especially a WR good at run blocking.

Completely disagree. You need to take a deep breath and put your faith in Hortiz and Harbaugh.

The offense is going to be good. Probably not top 5 good, but good. The defense is going to be good. Probably not top 5 good, but good. The special teams are going to be top 5 good. All of this barring major injuries, of course.

That is a whole team that is good. When was the last time we had that? Maybe 2018, though the defense was average, not good. In 2017, offense and defense were good, but special teams was bad. So we're really probably talking 2010 or earlier.

Patience.
Ok I see you working here but that last word has me wondering about Herbert's career here. He's going to die on the vine while they are going 8-8 for 2 years. just saying. You don't get good qb's drop in your lap every year. Especially when you draft middle of the pack every year. Are you speaking truth? Maybe. Does it matter when Herbert's contract is up again? I guess we'll see. I just think by then he'll be too expensive and they will have to make "other arrangements". IMHO we need a RB and a WR that are at least respectable now.

Patience.
Ok I see you working here but that last word has me wondering about Herbert's career here. He's going to die on the vine while they are going 8-8 for 2 years. just saying. You don't get good qb's drop in your lap every year. Especially when you draft middle of the pack every year. Are you speaking truth? Maybe. Does it matter when Herbert's contract is up again? I guess we'll see. I just think by then he'll be too expensive and they will have to make "other arrangements". IMHO we need a RB and a WR that are at least respectable now.

I didn't mean patience in the sense that it will take years to be competitive. I meant patience for this offseason, given free agency has been live for 7 days and we haven't even had the draft.

Herbert is under contract for 6 more seasons and you're worrying today about when his contract is up? You are really working the Chicken Little angle hard. Harbaugh loves Herbert. There is every reason to believe Herbert will love playing for Harbaugh.

Look, if you want to wallow in misery, I can't stop you. But I think your whole approach here is very off base. The Chargers are going to win 9+ games in 2024, and I don't see why that wouldn't be true beyond 2024.

It's starting to feel to me like sticking at 5 and drafting a receiver is in the cards for the Chargers - so maybe their #1 WR is Harrison Jr. or Nabers come training camp? I'd like to see them trade down still, it's a relatively deep WR class so maybe they get their #1 WR in this draft even with a trade down.

3rd round and back is where they could start looking to improve RB. There seems to routinely be quality RBs found later in the draft nowadays.

Denzel Perryman returns to the Chargers on a 1 year deal. Another stopgap that lessens the need to focus on ILB in the draft. I like what they're doing here, they're creating a ton of flexibility to just go BPA repeatedly in the draft and still have plan B vets in place for the areas that can't be covered with rookies.

Other than age?

They didn't trade him because of age. They traded him because he would not take a pay cut... so they traded him because of his cap hit.

I don't think you are going to see Hortiz and Harbaugh paying top 10 WR contract value going forward, and that's what Aiyuk would require. They would also have to give up draft capital to acquire another WR via trade, which is counter to Hortiz's stated approach.

I can't help but think that age did play a role though. Allen is going to be 32 this year and he'll be paid almost top 10 money this year. How many 32 year olds have produced well enough to warrant that kind of money? The odds aren't good. He played great last year. But he had to tough it out. As much as I'd love to see him continue to do that...I just don't know how likely it is.

Man will I miss watching him play though. I was not happy about that move. But I kinda get it.

Other than age?

I can't help but think that age did play a role though. Allen is going to be 32 this year and he'll be paid almost top 10 money this year. How many 32 year olds have produced well enough to warrant that kind of money? The odds aren't good. He played great last year. But he had to tough it out. As much as I'd love to see him continue to do that...I just don't know how likely it is.

Man will I miss watching him play though. I was not happy about that move. But I kinda get it.

1. Cap hit does not equate to what he will paid this year. His contract average per year currently ranks #14... not top 10. The reason his 2024 cap hit for the Chargers was so high is because the Chargers willingly restructured his contract at least once, I think twice, which pushed cap hit to 2024. Not Allen's choice.

2. Allen had his career best season in 2023, and he almost certainly would have come back and played last season if there was something to play for. He only played a partial season in 2022, but he played at the same very high level. He has showed zero signs of slowing down.

3. I don't like it, but I understand the fiscal sense of it. The Chargers will end up with a handful of relatively low cost but quality veterans for the cap space cleared by trading Allen. The frustrating thing for me is that I thought the Chargers should have extended Allen last offseason rather than restructuring him. Had they done that, he would probably be a Charger right now. But... what's done is done.

Other than age?

1. Cap hit does not equate to what he will paid this year. His contract average per year currently ranks #14... not top 10. The reason his 2024 cap hit for the Chargers was so high is because the Chargers willingly restructured his contract at least once, I think twice, which pushed cap hit to 2024. Not Allen's choice.

2. Allen had his career best season in 2023, and he almost certainly would have come back and played last season if there was something to play for. He only played a partial season in 2022, but he played at the same very high level. He has showed zero signs of slowing down.

3. I don't like it, but I understand the fiscal sense of it. The Chargers will end up with a handful of relatively low cost but quality veterans for the cap space cleared by trading Allen. The frustrating thing for me is that I thought the Chargers should have extended Allen last offseason rather than restructuring him. Had they done that, he would probably be a Charger right now. But... what's done is done.
I am no cap guru that's for sure. I was only using overthecap. They showed 2024 cash payout and savings as both 23.1.

I hope he has another great year. He battled through it last year, and earned that money. I just don't think the new regime is thinking about that. Sad. I don't like it, but I kinda get it.

Daniel Popper article on Joe Hortiz press conference this week: Chargers GM Joe Hortiz on Keenan Allen trade and why flexibility is a priority

“You also want to be able to look forward and say, ‘Am I protecting the integrity of this club going forward?’” Hortiz said. “That is a goal of mine and will always be a goal of mine. I don’t ever want to be in a situation like we were in this year, where you’re having to make hard decisions.”

Basically, he is indirectly saying that Telesco and the Chargers front office last offseason made bad decisions that put the team in their terrible cap situation this offseason. And he will never do that.

Glad to hear that.

As mentioned in other threads, Nabers is scheduled to meet with the Chargers.

They also took another player off the ex-Ravens/ex-Michigan scrap heap in fullback Ben Mason. I guess we'll see more plays/formations with FB now.

Also, for a more active Charger community thread, there's a good one here right now.

As mentioned in other threads, Nabers is scheduled to meet with the Chargers.

They also took another player off the ex-Ravens/ex-Michigan scrap heap in fullback Ben Mason. I guess we'll see more plays/formations with FB now.

Also, for a more active Charger community thread, there's a good one here right now.

IMO it was always a given they would have a FB on the final roster, just a matter of which ex-Michigan FB they would end up with.

The latest Draft Tracker from Chargers.com came out. Of the twenty "expert" mock drafts....

Nine said the Chargers hold on to the #5, and five of them said the pick is Marv.
Two said Joe Alt. One for Taliese Fagua and one for Malik Nabers.

The rest predicted a trade down. The most common scenario was to select JC Latham at #11. Latham was also the pick at #9 for one guy.
Fagua was the next most popular trade-down target, with one each at #s 8, 10, and 11.
One said Alt at #8.
Other possibilities at #11 were Malik Nabers(!?!) and Brock Bowers
The lowest tradedown scenario had the Chargers trading to 12 and then to 14 to pick CB Quinyon Mitchell (which I kind of like).

It'll be interesting to find if there end up being any trade partners. What happens at #4 will have a lot to do with that.

Patience.
As a lifelong Chargers fan, I love your optimistic attitude for a strong year in 2024. I wish I could share your enthusiasm, but I honestly think we will be lucky to reach .500 this year. Last year, there were 19 teams that won at least 9 games. Of those:
QB - All 12 QB1's came from winning teams
RB - 9 of 12 RB1's came from winning teams
WR - 17 of 24 WR1's and WR2's came from winning teams
TE - 9 of 12 TE1's came from winning teams

The only winning team without a top fantasy player (QB1, RB1, WR1, WR2, TE1) was Pittsburgh. The other 18 winning teams combined had 47 of the 60 top fantasy players. Who, on offense, do you think has a shot of finishing as a top fantasy player, or do you think they will be like last year's Steelers?

As a lifelong Chargers fan, I love your optimistic attitude for a strong year in 2024. I wish I could share your enthusiasm, but I honestly think we will be lucky to reach .500 this year. Last year, there were 19 teams that won at least 9 games. Of those:

The only winning team without a top fantasy player (QB1, RB1, WR1, WR2, TE1) was Pittsburgh. The other 18 winning teams combined had 47 of the 60 top fantasy players. Who, on offense, do you think has a shot of finishing as a top fantasy player, or do you think they will be like last year's Steelers?

It so happens that the Chargers approach under this front office and coaching staff is going to most resemble the approaches of the Ravens and Steelers. Except the Chargers have a much better QB than the Steelers.

The Chargers were 3-8 in games decided by 7 or fewer points last season. Better coaching and players including Herbert and Bosa (hopefully) staying healthy should be worth at least +4 wins. That's 9-8. And maybe they exceed that.

I don't really agree with the notion that to win in the NFL, teams must have top fantasy players, but:
  • Herbert will probably be a QB1 if you are counting top 12 for that.
  • If they draft Bowers, he should definitely be a TE1 if he stays healthy.
  • If they instead draft MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze, that player has a chance of being a top 24 WR if healthy.
  • If they don't draft any of those guys, Johnston could surprise and break into the top 24 (I'm not holding my breath, but it could happen).
  • I doubt they will have a top 12 RB since they will probably use a committee, but only 5 of 14 playoff teams last season had a fantasy RB1.
:shrug:

It so happens that the Chargers approach under this front office and coaching staff is going to most resemble the approaches of the Ravens and Steelers. Except the Chargers have a much better QB than the Steelers.

The Chargers were 3-8 in games decided by 7 or fewer points last season. Better coaching and players including Herbert and Bosa (hopefully) staying healthy should be worth at least +4 wins. That's 9-8. And maybe they exceed that.

I don't really agree with the notion that to win in the NFL, teams must have top fantasy players, but:
  • If they instead draft MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze, that player has a chance of being a top 24 WR if healthy.
  • If they don't draft any of those guys, Johnston could surprise and break into the top 24 (I'm not holding my breath, but it could happen).
  • I doubt they will have a top 12 RB since they will probably use a committee, but only 5 of 14 playoff teams last season had a fantasy RB1.
As for not agreeing with the notion that to win in the NFL, teams must have top fantasy players, in the last 5 years, teams have had winning seasons 78 times. Of those, only the 2023 Steelers did not have a top fantasy player. By top fantasy player, as I think you know, I mean finishing top 12 in QB, RB, and TE, or top 24 for WR. And of the remaining 77 teams, 65 had at least 2 top fantasy players, and 38 had at least 3 top fantasy players. Those are some telling numbers.

You also said only 5 of 14 playoff teams had a RB1. It was actually 6 teams (BUF, DET, LAR, MIA, SF, and TB). But, we weren't talking about playoff teams; we were talking about teams with winning records. Of the 12 RB1's last year, 9 came from teams with winning records.

As I said from the beginning, I hope that you are right and I am completely wrong. I am stoked we have changed our front office and coaching staff. And yes, we very well may resemble the Steelers, but we will not resemble the Ravens, because their best RB is their QB. As for the upcoming draft, if you had to say right now, who do you think we take if we stay at #5? Yes, I value your opinion as much as anyone as it pertains to the Chargers, so thanx.

As for not agreeing with the notion that to win in the NFL, teams must have top fantasy players, in the last 5 years, teams have had winning seasons 78 times. Of those, only the 2023 Steelers did not have a top fantasy player. By top fantasy player, as I think you know, I mean finishing top 12 in QB, RB, and TE, or top 24 for WR. And of the remaining 77 teams, 65 had at least 2 top fantasy players, and 38 had at least 3 top fantasy players. Those are some telling numbers.

OK, so ~17% (13/78) of winning seasons had fewer than 2 "top fantasy players" by your definition, and ~51% had fewer than 3. I said that I expect Herbert to be a QB1. I also said that I can see a WR or TE possibly also meet your criteria, depending on draft picks. So I noted how they can be like the 2023 Steelers but would more likely to be like the 17% group and could be like the 51% group.

You also said only 5 of 14 playoff teams had a RB1. It was actually 6 teams (BUF, DET, LAR, MIA, SF, and TB). But, we weren't talking about playoff teams; we were talking about teams with winning records. Of the 12 RB1's last year, 9 came from teams with winning records.

When my two choices for fantasy rankings are either total fantasy points or fantasy ppg, I choose ppg. BUF did not have a RB in the top 12 in ppg... and James Cook was not better than some others below him in total points, like Kyren Williams, Kamara, Barkley, Pacheco, Montgomery, et al.

This partly illustrates why I don't put much stock in top fantasy players when using arbitrary cutoffs like top 12... how likely is it that the guys in the #13-20 range were significantly lesser performers than the guy at #12? How was their production affected by coaching, scheme, health, opportunities? etc.

As I said from the beginning, I hope that you are right and I am completely wrong. I am stoked we have changed our front office and coaching staff. And yes, we very well may resemble the Steelers, but we will not resemble the Ravens, because their best RB is their QB.

I think the Chargers will be very similar to the Ravens. The obvious exception is how they will use Herbert vs. how BAL uses Jackson, but their OL blocking schemes, running scheme, and formation groupings (more RB/TE snaps, fewer WR snaps) will probably be similar. Many of their passing game concepts will also likely be similar. On top of that, they will also likely run similar defensive schemes and both are likely to have strong special teams. I think those teams are going to be more similar than you seem to think.

As for the upcoming draft, if you had to say right now, who do you think we take if we stay at #5? Yes, I value your opinion as much as anyone as it pertains to the Chargers, so thanx.

Right now, I am expecting QBs to be drafted at picks 1-4, with a team (MIN?) trading up to 1.4 to take the 4th. I would prefer the Chargers trade down to accumulate more picks, but if QBs go 1-4, there may not be a good enough offer. If QBs go 1-4 and they cannot trade down, I hope they take MHJ.

If fewer than 4 QBs go in the first 4 picks, then the Chargers should be able to trade down and get a nice return, and I think they should and will do that.

If for some reason they draft at #5 and MHJ is gone, my preference is to take Bowers over Nabers, but I would also be happy with Nabers. I think there is a good chance the team will take Alt, though. If they take Alt with MHJ available, I'm going to be pretty annoyed.

Last edited:
I am definitely hoping that they have a trade back partner as well. I hope the QB hype is real. I fear it is not though.

My guess is that AZ is locked in on MHJ. If they can trade back and somehow get Odunze I would love it. When Herbert misses it seems like it's usually high, so size is important. And strong hands. Sometimes he throws it harder than he needs to. I think Odunze would be a perfect fit with Herbert. But I know Nabers is the higher rated guy.

I would not be surprised to see line of course. Their run blocking seemed to be brutally bad last year. Horrible. The new staff is very focused on the line. Maybe they think they can coach them up, but I won't be surprised if they make a lot of changes there. Here is a recent article about the line:

I think Odunze would be a perfect fit with Herbert. But I know Nabers is the higher rated guy.

Not by everyone. I like Matt Harmon's Reception Perception. His top tier rankings of college WRs in the 2021-2024 draft classes:

Tier 1 - "Top 10 pick worthy/Ready-made star"
1 - Marvin Harrison Jr. (2024) - Carved from stone No. 1 WR. Excellent routes and work vs. press for a hulking X-receiver.
2 - Ja'Marr Chase (2021) - Legit great at every part of the position. Extremely underrated as a route runner.
3 - Rome Odunze (2024) - Complete. Explosive route technician and contested catch fiend. Almost had him WR1.
4 - Chris Olave (2022) - Master route runner who is well advanced for a college prospect. For sure No. 1 WR.
5 - DeVonta Smith (2021) - Best separator in the class with a strong press success rate. Don't care about weight.
6 - Drake London (2022) - Dominant underneath separator vs. man and zone with deep contested catch upside.
7 - Garrett Wilson (2022) - Freaky YAC combined with chaotic but effective separation ability. Superstar ceiling.
8 - Malik Nabers (2024) - Best YAC player in the RP prospect database and beats man coverage. Crazy high ceiling.

It would be outstanding if they traded back and still were able to draft Odunze... but where they would have to be to do that (top 10), I suspect they would draft either Bowers or Alt.

As I said from the beginning, I hope that you are right and I am completely wrong. I am stoked we have changed our front office and coaching staff. And yes, we very well may resemble the Steelers, but we will not resemble the Ravens, because their best RB is their QB. As for the upcoming draft, if you had to say right now, who do you think we take if we stay at #5? Yes, I value your opinion as much as anyone as it pertains to the Chargers, so thanx.
Both of you are doing a terrific job entertaining the rest of us who are researching the Chargers Offense for 2024
I'm learning a lot about fantasy football crossing into the NFL Playoffs, never saw that coming
:goodposting:

Last edited:
I think Odunze would be a perfect fit with Herbert. But I know Nabers is the higher rated guy.

Not by everyone. I like Matt Harmon's Reception Perception. His top tier rankings of college WRs in the 2021-2024 draft classes:

Tier 1 - "Top 10 pick worthy/Ready-made star"
1 - Marvin Harrison Jr. (2024) - Carved from stone No. 1 WR. Excellent routes and work vs. press for a hulking X-receiver.
2 - Ja'Marr Chase (2021) - Legit great at every part of the position. Extremely underrated as a route runner.
3 - Rome Odunze (2024) - Complete. Explosive route technician and contested catch fiend. Almost had him WR1.
4 - Chris Olave (2022) - Master route runner who is well advanced for a college prospect. For sure No. 1 WR.
5 - DeVonta Smith (2021) - Best separator in the class with a strong press success rate. Don't care about weight.
6 - Drake London (2022) - Dominant underneath separator vs. man and zone with deep contested catch upside.
7 - Garrett Wilson (2022) - Freaky YAC combined with chaotic but effective separation ability. Superstar ceiling.
8 - Malik Nabers (2024) - Best YAC player in the RP prospect database and beats man coverage. Crazy high ceiling.

It would be outstanding if they traded back and still were able to draft Odunze... but where they would have to be to do that (top 10), I suspect they would draft either Bowers or Alt.
I was just listening to Matt Harmon's appearance on the Around the NFL podcast, and he goes into more detail about Odunze and why he thinks the difference between him and MJH is almost a coin-flip. He also discusses several other WR prospects from the draft.

They signed Dobbins. The Chargers are becoming Ravens west. I wouldn't think this would preclude them from taking a shot at finding longer term solution for RB at some point in the draft. I don't know how much faith you can have in Dobbins given his injury history.

Apparently Bolts From The Blue is basically defunct - they have zero coverage of this, the only tangible Chargers news in weeks, right now.

They signed Dobbins. The Chargers are becoming Ravens west. I wouldn't think this would preclude them from taking a shot at finding longer term solution for RB at some point in the draft. I don't know how much faith you can have in Dobbins given his injury history.

Apparently Bolts From The Blue is basically defunct - they have zero coverage of this, the only tangible Chargers news in weeks, right now.
I'm a bit skeptical that a roster of Ravens' castoffs is a recipe for success, but I didn't have any expectations for this year anyway. If this is a trend next offseason, I'll go from skeptical to concerned.

I'm a bit skeptical that a roster of Ravens' castoffs is a recipe for success, but I didn't have any expectations for this year anyway. If this is a trend next offseason, I'll go from skeptical to concerned.
I have no expectation for Dobbins. I do like the signing of Edwards though. Sure, he just turned 29, but he only has 729 touches in his NFL career. He is a near-240 pound RB, so losing a step isn't really an issue. Double-digit TD's and a RB2 finish are within reach.

Yeah, I'm right there with you. As one year stop gaps fine, go with people you know, if you can't find significantly better players for the money.

I'm also concerned that they start collecting all Harbaugh's pets from Michigan too and bypass better players in the process - we'll see how this draft goes.

I have no expectation for Dobbins. I do like the signing of Edwards though. Sure, he just turned 29, but he only has 729 touches in his NFL career. He is a near-240 pound RB, so losing a step isn't really an issue. Double-digit TD's and a RB2 finish are within reach.
For the price tag, all of them (Dobbins, Edwards, Mason, Bozeman, Hurst) are worth a flyer.

I'm also concerned that they start collecting all Harbaugh's pets from Michigan too and bypass better players in the process - we'll see how this draft goes.
I'm less worried about this. Harbaugh's been a winner every step of his twenty-year head coaching career. I don't think he accomplished that by being overly sentimental.

I'm less worried about this. Harbaugh's been a winner every step of his twenty-year head coaching career. I don't think he accomplished that by being overly sentimental.
Hope you're right, we'll see in the next couple of weeks.

Yes, but now he stepped into the curse of Wes Chandler. We'll see.

I predict:
  • QBs are drafted with the top 3 picks, regardless of which teams make those picks
  • Arizona stands pat and takes MHJ instead of trading down
  • The Chargers get a nice package to trade down with a team that wants QB4... I'll predict they trade pick 5 to MIN for picks 11, 23, and 129.
I'm probably mixing wishful thinking with prediction here...

In that scenario and without considering any other trades, I will take a shot at predicting the picks. I'm calling this a prediction, but it is probably also mixed in with some wishful thinking again:
  • 1.11 (11) - OT Taliese Fuaga, Oregon State - I assume the top 10 picks will include the top 4 QBs, top 3 WRs, Bowers, and Alt; Fuaga is a strong run blocker and played RT in college so would not need to convert; I could see them taking OT Fautanu or Latham instead
  • 1.23 (23) - C Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon -- tough call here between C, CB, IDL, WR... but adding Fuaga and JPJ to the existing Chargers OL players would make OL a true strength of the team, something Harbaugh, Roman, and Hortiz have all stated they intend to do
  • 2.5 (37) - IDL Kris Jenkins , Michigan - continuing the theme of building the trenches, and obviously a player Harbaugh and Minter know well
  • 3.5 (69) - RB Blake Corum, Michigan - another Michigan man Harbaugh knows well; Harbaugh has compared him to Frank Gore, his stud RB when he coached the 49ers
  • 4.5 (105) - CB Nehemiah Pritchett, Auburn
  • 4.10 (110) - CB Cam Hart, Notre Dame - doubling up at CB in the 4th hopefully ensures one of them can make a positive impact early
  • 4.29 (129) - G Zak Zinter, Michigan - another Michigan man; completes a significant OL overhaul in this draft... not saying Zinter will start but he should be able to provide quality depth at minimum
  • 5.5 (140) - S Josh Proctor, Ohio State
  • 6.5 (181) - Edge Jaylen Harrell, Michigan - another Michigan man; would compete with Rumph for last Edge spot and presumably push Rumph out (maybe to the practice squad); if he isn't available, they could go with his Michigan teammate, Edge Braiden McGregor, but I would prefer Harrell
  • 7.5 (225) - WR Cornelius Johnson, Michigan - another Michigan man Harbaugh knows well; should excel on special teams in addition to rotational role at WR
  • 7.38 (253) - LB Michael Barrett, Michigan - another Michigan man familiar with Minter's defense; should be a special teams contributor
I love this draft. I think this would easily be one of the few best drafts the Chargers have had in my 21 years as a fan. There are two primary issues:
  • Not drafting a WR capable of being a near term WR1/WR2
  • Not drafting a TE, leaving a long term TE gap
I think the first problem is much bigger than the second. I think they can live without a long term TE for another year. The trio of Dissly, Hurst, and Parham should be good enough if they can stay healthy. And the team could obviously still add a free agent there.

If the draft played out this way, I expect the Chargers would sign some combination of free agents (e.g., Valdez-Scantling, Chark, Boyd)... probably two of them. That would leave them with a weak WR room dependent on Johnston actually playing up to his draft pick going forward. While I think that is very possible, it is an obvious risk. But I have confidence that this coaching staff and Herbert can make this work.

That said, while I'm sure I relied too heavily on Michigan players here, a draft loaded with Harbaugh (and Minter) players would be a great thing. This draft totally delivers on what Hortiz, Harbaugh, Roman, and Minter have been saying from the day they were hired -- that this team is going to be built to win in the trenches... built around the OL... built to have a strong running game. And it delivers on that stuff while adding 3 needed DBs... not that I expect 4th/5th round DBs to be Pro Bowlers, but I like those additions.

Consider what the OL would look like:
  • Starters: LT Slater, LG Zion, C JPJ, RG Bozeman, RT Fuaga
  • Depth: Swing Tackle Pipkins, G/T Salyer, IOL McFadden, G Zinter
  • No Jaimes or Sarell
I expect that would be a top 10 OL in the NFL. Maybe top 5.

Another thing I like about this is that all players are Power 5 players -- no small school projects here.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I predict:
  • QBs are drafted with the top 3 picks, regardless of which teams make those picks
  • The Chargers get a nice package to trade down with a team that wants QB4... I'll predict they trade pick 5 to MIN for picks 11, 23, and 129.

In that scenario and without considering any other trades, I will take a shot at predicting the picks. I'm calling this a prediction, but it is probably also mixed in with some wishful thinking again:
  • 1.11 (11) - OT Taliese Fuaga, Oregon State - I assume the top 10 picks will include the top 4 QBs, top 3 WRs, Bowers, and Alt; Fuaga is a strong run blocker and played RT in college so would not need to convert; I could see them taking OT Fautanu or Latham instead
  • 1.23 (23) - C Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon - tough call here between C, CB, IDL, WR... but adding Fuaga and JPJ to the existing Chargers OL players would make OL a true strength of the team, something Harbaugh, Roman, and Hortiz have all stated they intend to do
  • 2.5 (37) - IDL Kris Jenkins , Michigan - continuing the theme of building the trenches, and obviously a player Harbaugh and Minter know well
  • 3.5 (69) - RB Blake Corum, Michigan - another Michigan man Harbaugh knows well; Harbaugh has compared him to Frank Gore, his stud RB when he coached the 49ers
  • 4.10 (110) - CB Cam Hart, Notre Dame - doubling up at CB in the 4th hopefully ensures one of them can make a positive impact early
  • 4.29 (129) - G Zak Zinter, Michigan - another Michigan man; completes the OL overhaul in this draft
  • 6.5 (181) - Edge Jaylen Harrell, Michigan - another Michigan man; would compete with Rumph for last Edge spot and presumably push Rumph out (maybe to the practice squad); if he isn't available, they could go with his Michigan teammate, Edge Braiden McGregor, but I would prefer Harrell
  • 7.5 (225) - WR Cornelius Johnson, Michigan - another Michigan man Harbaugh knows well; should excel on special teams in addition to rotational role at WR
  • 7.38 (253) - LB Michael Barrett, Michigan - another Michigan man familiar with Minter's defense; should be a special teams contributor
I love this draft. I think this would easily be one of the few best drafts the Chargers have had in my 21 years as a fan. There are two primary issues:
I think the first problem is much bigger than the second. I think they can live without a long term TE for another year. The trio of Dissly, Hurst, and Parham should be good enough if they can stay healthy. And the team could obviously still add a free agent there.

If the draft played out this way, I expect the Chargers would sign some combination of free agents (e.g., Valdez-Scantling, Chark, Boyd)... probably two of them. That would leave them with a weak WR room dependent on Johnston actually playing up to his draft pick going forward. While I think that is very possible, it is an obvious risk. But I have confidence that this coaching staff and Herbert can make this work.

That said, while I'm sure I relied too heavily on Michigan players here, a draft loaded with Harbaugh (and Minter) players would be a great thing. This draft totally delivers on what Hortiz, Harbaugh, Roman, and Minter have been saying from the day they were hired -- that this team is going to be built to win in the trenches... built around the OL... built to have a strong running game. And it delivers on that stuff while adding 3 needed DBs... not that I expect 4th/5th round DBs to be Pro Bowlers, but I like those additions.

Another thing I like about this is that all players are Power 5 players -- no small school projects here.

Thoughts?
While it's sexy to have the Chargers target Bowers or the early WR's, I also think they fade both positions. Priority 1 is protect QB long-term, and that starts with a strong OL. If you have an awesome line, you can make JAG's at RB. WR, and TE look better than they are. Just look at Emmitt Smith :wink:

I predict:

• 1.23 (23) - C Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon -- tough call here between C, CB, IDL, WR... but adding Fuaga and JPJ to the existing Chargers OL players would make OL a true strength of the team, something Harbaugh, Roman, and Hortiz have all stated they intend to do
  • 4.29 (129) - G Zak Zinter, Michigan - another Michigan man; completes a significant OL overhaul in this draft... not saying Zinter will start but he should be able to provide quality depth at minimum

• No Jaimes or Sarell

Thoughts?
Great detailed post, I would absolutely love this for the Chargers. The point being is you cannot rebuild the roster in one draft, aim for key positions you value and move around in the draft accordingly to take advantage of those values. Your hypothetical draft would set this roster up very nicely to build towards what the new regime wants to accomplish. A strong run game and protection can hide a lot of weaknesses and help keep the defense fresh and energized. I love my Lion’s but have a soft spot for the Chargers and look forward to seeing what Harbaugh can do.

I predict:

• No Jaimes or Sarell

Thoughts?
Has any team drafted six guys from the same school before? I realize Harbaugh coached them and they were good enough to win a national championship, but I am hoping he isn't that myopic as to think that his boys are better than all of the other boys combined. Yet, I can see how building from scratch with guys you are already comfortable with and know the system could be productive.

It would seem odd that in such a WR-rich draft that one of the teams most desperate for one would come away empty, but also I can see it happening.

Other than that UMich detail, I like the way you have prioritized the team's needs and matched them to talent that is likely to be available.

While it's sexy to have the Chargers target Bowers or the early WR's, I also think they fade both positions. Priority 1 is protect QB long-term, and that starts with a strong OL. If you have an awesome line, you can make JAG's at RB. WR, and TE look better than they are. Just look at Emmitt Smith :wink:
My favorite Emmitt Smith piece of trivia - his career YPC was 0.2 yds below the NFL average over that same time span.

I predict:

• No Jaimes or Sarell

Thoughts?
Has any team drafted six guys from the same school before? I realize Harbaugh coached them and they were good enough to win a national championship, but I am hoping he isn't that myopic as to think that his boys are better than all of the other boys combined. Yet, I can see how building from scratch with guys you are already comfortable with and know the system could be productive.

It would seem odd that in such a WR-rich draft that one of the teams most desperate for one would come away empty, but also I can see it happening.

Other than that UMich detail, I like the way you have prioritized the team's needs and matched them to talent that is likely to be available.
Agreed. I think they need to go WR in one of the first three picks, particularly if they trade down.

I predict:

• No Jaimes or Sarell

Thoughts?

I agree that I identified more Michigan players than seems reasonable. They just happened to be good candidates who may be available at those picks, and I liked the fit.

I agree that not drafting a WR seems like the primary problem with my draft, and it seems like an unlikely outcome. I seriously thought about Troy Franklin at 69, RB Ray Davis at 105, and CB-CB at 110 and 129, giving up on Zinter. That may very well be a better outcome, I just had a hard time passing up on Corum. Once I got to the 4th round without a WR, there really weren't any appealing WR targets remaining in my view, so I went with other positions.

In this mock situation, the Chargers got 11, 23, and 129 for 5... in my mock draft, they got Fuaga, JPJ, and Zinter instead of Nabers. IMO that is a nobrainer... a complete OL overhaul for one pick.

Details on Dobbins's 1 year deal: base value of $1.61 million, an additional $750,000 tied to incentives. Seems relatively team friendly. I think that means his signing won't cost any of the compensatory picks they've set themselves up for.

I predict:

• No Jaimes or Sarell

Thoughts?

I agree that I identified more Michigan players than seems reasonable. They just happened to be good candidates who may be available at those picks, and I liked the fit.

I agree that not drafting a WR seems like the primary problem with my draft, and it seems like an unlikely outcome. I seriously thought about Troy Franklin at 69, RB Ray Davis at 105, and CB-CB at 110 and 129, giving up on Zinter. That may very well be a better outcome, I just had a hard time passing up on Corum. Once I got to the 4th round without a WR, there really weren't any appealing WR targets remaining in my view, so I went with other positions.

In this mock situation, the Chargers got 11, 23, and 129 for 5... in my mock draft, they got Fuaga, JPJ, and Zinter instead of Nabers. IMO that is a nobrainer... a complete OL overhaul for one pick.
I like your approach, though you probably went too Michigan heavy. They need depth and breadth - acquire as many picks as possible, take the best player available virtually regardless of position with every pick. The only positions they could slough are QB (obviously), edge rush, safety, K, P, KR/PR - they need help everywhere else. Thus a good approach is not to get caught up in "having to have" a particular player or position when a pick comes up. That's what they've set themselves up to do so far. I hope they follow through, as you have here.

Users who are viewing this thread