What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chargers v Patriots....the rematch (1 Viewer)

By the way, on this:

Asking if the Patriots are worse without Harrison and Seymour isn't really relevant since we don't know how good the team with Seymour and Harrison would have been.
Forget the comparison with last year's playoff team. Are you really saying you don't know for a fact that the Pats defense with Harrison and Seymour this seasons would be better than the Pats defense without them? This statement strains your credibility.

San Diego has a decent chance to win..... On a neutral field, with all players healthy and playing, I think a matchup between these teams is a toss-up. .... To me, it's a wash, and thus back to a toss-up.
translation: 2 good teams playing each other so you have no idea.

San Diego has a decent chance to win..... On a neutral field, with all players healthy and playing, I think a matchup between these teams is a toss-up. .... To me, it's a wash, and thus back to a toss-up.
translation: 2 good teams playing each other so you have no idea.
Congrats for being the first poster on this forum I have ignored in 4 1/2 years on this forum. :lol:

bostonfred said:
Just Win Baby said:
Last year in the playoffs, I think the Chargers clearly had the better team. They beat themselves. I would not expect that set of circumstances to be repeated. But things are obviously different this time...Are the Chargers better now? I'd say so. They have new ILBs, which might be a bit of a downgrade, but they also have improved their secondary IMO. Their running game should be about as good as last year... I mean, I don't expect LT to score as many TDs this year, but they have arguably the best running game in the NFL. Their passing game should be improved IMO, with better collective receivers and more game experience for Rivers, as well as with Turner instead of Marty at HC.Are the Patriots better now? I'd say so. No Dillon, but huge upgrade at WR. On defense, they should be better this year, but will certainly feel the absence of Seymour and Harrison this week.
Regarding their losses, Harrison didn't play in that game. Dillon had 8 rushes for 18 yards, and Seymour had one tackle. Regarding their additions, Moss, Stallworth and Welker are certainly notable, but let's not forget that Maroney's shoulder was hurt last year, Morris is running well, and they replaced an injured Seau with a healthy Seau and Adalius Thomas, while getting to play this game at home instead of on the road.
Yes, I pointed out the advantage of them playing at home and said their team overall is better. Are you suggesting that they won't miss Seymour and Harrison? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think of those two as two of their best defensive players.I agree their running game is in better shape than in the playoff game. And it will need to be for them to win IMO.
Asking if the Patriots are worse without Harrison and Seymour isn't really relevant since we don't know how good the team with Seymour and Harrison would have been. You compared the Patriots of the 2006 playoffs to the Patriots of the 2007 regular season game, and that does seem like a relevant comparison. What I'm pointing out is that you can't consider the loss of Harrison a downgrade compared to last year's playoff team, since Harrison was out for that game. Similarly, Seymour had a grand total of one tackle in that game, so while Jarvis Moss is a downgrade talent-wise, he may be an adequate replacement for Seymour's actual production in that game. Similarly, I'd take a healthy Maroney and Morris over an injured running game and a beat up Dillon who had 8 rushes for 18 yards in that game. So even before we talk about the additions the Pats made, I'd point out that, compared to the team that beat San Diego in last year's playoff game, the Patriots haven't lost that much. On the other hand, you are correct that San Diego seemed to play better in that game. So let's start with the assumption that the Chargers were the better team there, and then add in the changes they made, which you consider to be for the better. Is that going to be made up for by the additions of Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Thomas, and the fact that the game is at Gilette? When you think of it that way, it seems like New England should be favored here, doesn't it?
I assume New England is favored. Is that not the case?So defensively, compared to the playoff game, they added Thomas & Seau, and lost Seymour. You cited that Seymour had only 1 tackle earlier, but I also know you have said this before the playoff game:
If you drafted all of the players in the NFL from scratch, Brady, Tomlinson, Seymour and Merriman would all be top twelve picks.
So I'm not quite sure what you're arguing with me about, since I think you have an even higher opinion of Seymour than I do.Independent of the comparison to last season's playoff game, I said that I'd pick the Pats with Seymour and Harrison playing and the game in New England. Then I said without them playing, I think San Diego has a decent chance to win. On a neutral field, with all players healthy and playing, I think a matchup between these teams is a toss-up. It's not on a neutral field, which favors the Pats. But the Pats are missing two of their best defensive players. To me, it's a wash, and thus back to a toss-up. If I had to bet on the game, I'd bet on the Chargers, especially considering I'd expect to get a few points. I wasn't meaning to focus solely on the difference since last season's playoff game, sorry if that wasn't clear. :wub:
That's the ONLY thing I'm responding to. Apparently that wasn't clear. I started by QUOTING YOUR COMPARISON of this year's Pats with last year's Pats in that playoff game, and pointed out that this year's Pats are significantly improved from the Patriots team that showed up on the field at the end of last season. FOR THE PURPOSES OF THAT COMPARISON ONLY, it doesn't matter how good Seymour is, during that game he did not have a dominant game. FOR THE PURPOSES OF THAT COMPARISON ONLY, it doesn't matter how good Harrison is. He didn't play last year. FOR THE PURPOSES OF THAT COMPARISON ONLY, it doesn't matter how good Dillon is. Dillon in that game did not have a good game. FOR THE PURPOSES OF COMPARING THE 2007 PATRIOTS TEAM ON PAPER TO THE 2007 PATRIOTS GAME TWO TEAM, the team on paper looks better. OF COURSE THEY'D BE BETTER with Harrison and Seymour. But that's is completely irrelevant to the specific comparison that you made and I quoted and then you quoted me quoting and I quoted you quoting me quoting and then you said you didn't care about. Everything in each of these posts is specifically talking about that comparison and only that comparison.
By the way, on this:

Asking if the Patriots are worse without Harrison and Seymour isn't really relevant since we don't know how good the team with Seymour and Harrison would have been.
Forget the comparison with last year's playoff team. Are you really saying you don't know for a fact that the Pats defense with Harrison and Seymour this seasons would be better than the Pats defense without them? This statement strains your credibility.
No, I'm not saying that. I don't know how to make it any more clear.

bostonfred said:
Just Win Baby said:
Last year in the playoffs, I think the Chargers clearly had the better team. They beat themselves. I would not expect that set of circumstances to be repeated. But things are obviously different this time...Are the Chargers better now? I'd say so. They have new ILBs, which might be a bit of a downgrade, but they also have improved their secondary IMO. Their running game should be about as good as last year... I mean, I don't expect LT to score as many TDs this year, but they have arguably the best running game in the NFL. Their passing game should be improved IMO, with better collective receivers and more game experience for Rivers, as well as with Turner instead of Marty at HC.Are the Patriots better now? I'd say so. No Dillon, but huge upgrade at WR. On defense, they should be better this year, but will certainly feel the absence of Seymour and Harrison this week.
Regarding their losses, Harrison didn't play in that game. Dillon had 8 rushes for 18 yards, and Seymour had one tackle. Regarding their additions, Moss, Stallworth and Welker are certainly notable, but let's not forget that Maroney's shoulder was hurt last year, Morris is running well, and they replaced an injured Seau with a healthy Seau and Adalius Thomas, while getting to play this game at home instead of on the road.
Yes, I pointed out the advantage of them playing at home and said their team overall is better. Are you suggesting that they won't miss Seymour and Harrison? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think of those two as two of their best defensive players.I agree their running game is in better shape than in the playoff game. And it will need to be for them to win IMO.
Asking if the Patriots are worse without Harrison and Seymour isn't really relevant since we don't know how good the team with Seymour and Harrison would have been. You compared the Patriots of the 2006 playoffs to the Patriots of the 2007 regular season game, and that does seem like a relevant comparison. What I'm pointing out is that you can't consider the loss of Harrison a downgrade compared to last year's playoff team, since Harrison was out for that game. Similarly, Seymour had a grand total of one tackle in that game, so while Jarvis Moss is a downgrade talent-wise, he may be an adequate replacement for Seymour's actual production in that game. Similarly, I'd take a healthy Maroney and Morris over an injured running game and a beat up Dillon who had 8 rushes for 18 yards in that game. So even before we talk about the additions the Pats made, I'd point out that, compared to the team that beat San Diego in last year's playoff game, the Patriots haven't lost that much. On the other hand, you are correct that San Diego seemed to play better in that game. So let's start with the assumption that the Chargers were the better team there, and then add in the changes they made, which you consider to be for the better. Is that going to be made up for by the additions of Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Thomas, and the fact that the game is at Gilette? When you think of it that way, it seems like New England should be favored here, doesn't it?
I assume New England is favored. Is that not the case?So defensively, compared to the playoff game, they added Thomas & Seau, and lost Seymour. You cited that Seymour had only 1 tackle earlier, but I also know you have said this before the playoff game:
If you drafted all of the players in the NFL from scratch, Brady, Tomlinson, Seymour and Merriman would all be top twelve picks.
So I'm not quite sure what you're arguing with me about, since I think you have an even higher opinion of Seymour than I do.Independent of the comparison to last season's playoff game, I said that I'd pick the Pats with Seymour and Harrison playing and the game in New England. Then I said without them playing, I think San Diego has a decent chance to win. On a neutral field, with all players healthy and playing, I think a matchup between these teams is a toss-up. It's not on a neutral field, which favors the Pats. But the Pats are missing two of their best defensive players. To me, it's a wash, and thus back to a toss-up. If I had to bet on the game, I'd bet on the Chargers, especially considering I'd expect to get a few points. I wasn't meaning to focus solely on the difference since last season's playoff game, sorry if that wasn't clear. :wub:
That's the ONLY thing I'm responding to. Apparently that wasn't clear. I started by QUOTING YOUR COMPARISON of this year's Pats with last year's Pats in that playoff game, and pointed out that this year's Pats are significantly improved from the Patriots team that showed up on the field at the end of last season. FOR THE PURPOSES OF THAT COMPARISON ONLY, it doesn't matter how good Seymour is, during that game he did not have a dominant game. FOR THE PURPOSES OF THAT COMPARISON ONLY, it doesn't matter how good Harrison is. He didn't play last year. FOR THE PURPOSES OF THAT COMPARISON ONLY, it doesn't matter how good Dillon is. Dillon in that game did not have a good game. FOR THE PURPOSES OF COMPARING THE 2007 PATRIOTS TEAM ON PAPER TO THE 2007 PATRIOTS GAME TWO TEAM, the team on paper looks better. OF COURSE THEY'D BE BETTER with Harrison and Seymour. But that's is completely irrelevant to the specific comparison that you made and I quoted and then you quoted me quoting and I quoted you quoting me quoting and then you said you didn't care about. Everything in each of these posts is specifically talking about that comparison and only that comparison.
By the way, on this:

You two guys have me :eek:

bostonfred said:
Just Win Baby said:
So I'm not quite sure what you're arguing with me about, since I think you have an even higher opinion of Seymour than I do.Independent of the comparison to last season's playoff game, I said that I'd pick the Pats with Seymour and Harrison playing and the game in New England. Then I said without them playing, I think San Diego has a decent chance to win. On a neutral field, with all players healthy and playing, I think a matchup between these teams is a toss-up. It's not on a neutral field, which favors the Pats. But the Pats are missing two of their best defensive players. To me, it's a wash, and thus back to a toss-up. If I had to bet on the game, I'd bet on the Chargers, especially considering I'd expect to get a few points. I wasn't meaning to focus solely on the difference since last season's playoff game, sorry if that wasn't clear. :(
Are you a lawyer? You are really good at turning a discussion into a debate over semantics. I already explained that I was not intending to make each part of my post relevant only to a comparison to last year's team.
By the way, on this:

How to make it more clear that you aren't saying that is not to say it. You didn't mean what you wrote. Happens to everyone once in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I already explained that I was not intending to make each part of my post relevant only to a comparison to last year's team.
:boxing: In the first post, you made that comparison. I responded to it. You misread my response, and you can't seem to get past it, even after I enlarged the fonts of the things I'm talking about. I'm going to try this one last time:If you look ONLY at the game last year, you'd think the Chargers would be favored if these exact same teams played again a week later. For all intents and purposes, a slightly improved Chargers team will be facing the same basic Patriots team that they met in last year's playoffs, except that the Pats have added Moss, Welker, Stallworth, and a healthy Maroney, and replaced Seymour, who was ineffective in that game, with Jarvis Moss. And the game will be played in New England instead of San Diego. When you look at it that way, it seems like the Patriots should be favored slightly.

bahhh...we're gonna' over-analyze this and fight and disagree for 10 pages? the talent, the scheme, the home field, the emotion, the disrespect, the chip, the class, blah, blah, blah.I'm picking the Pats because I'm a Pats fan and my team won last year, on the road, with less talent on their roster, against a well rested bye week Chargers team.that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
That's actually my guess--but I like both teams and am just hoping for a high scoring game--will be going into it with Tomlinson & Gates on the one side and Brady on the other....

I already explained that I was not intending to make each part of my post relevant only to a comparison to last year's team.
:bag: In the first post, you made that comparison. I responded to it. You misread my response, and you can't seem to get past it, even after I enlarged the fonts of the things I'm talking about. I'm going to try this one last time:If you look ONLY at the game last year, you'd think the Chargers would be favored if these exact same teams played again a week later. For all intents and purposes, a slightly improved Chargers team will be facing the same basic Patriots team that they met in last year's playoffs, except that the Pats have added Moss, Welker, Stallworth, and a healthy Maroney, and replaced Seymour, who was ineffective in that game, with Jarvis Moss. And the game will be played in New England instead of San Diego. When you look at it that way, it seems like the Patriots should be favored slightly.
Fred, did you see this:
Independent of the comparison to last season's playoff game, I said that I'd pick the Pats with Seymour and Harrison playing and the game in New England. Then I said without them playing, I think San Diego has a decent chance to win. On a neutral field, with all players healthy and playing, I think a matchup between these teams is a toss-up. It's not on a neutral field, which favors the Pats. But the Pats are missing two of their best defensive players. To me, it's a wash, and thus back to a toss-up. If I had to bet on the game, I'd bet on the Chargers, especially considering I'd expect to get a few points. I wasn't meaning to focus solely on the difference since last season's playoff game, sorry if that wasn't clear. :thumbup:
This was before you went back and added all the font highlighting. I made my position clear independent of the comparison to last season.We're not far off in our take. You say "favored slightly", and I say "toss-up". So let's drop the semantic argument. I guess I need to express myself more precisely when I comment on the Pats.And I still think it amusing that you gloss over the loss of Seymour by characterizing his play as ineffective when just before that game last season you characterized him as a top 12 NFL player. Did that one game send his stock plunging with you? Where do you rank him now as an NFL player? You can't have it both ways, either he's great and they'll be missing him this week, or Moss is better and they won't miss him. Which is it?

For all intents and purposes, a slightly improved Chargers team will be facing the same basic Patriots team that they met in last year's playoffs, except that the Pats have added Moss, Welker, Stallworth, and a healthy Maroney, and replaced Seymour, who was ineffective in that game, with Jarvis Moss.
:thumbup: <- Adalius Thomas.

For all intents and purposes, a slightly improved Chargers team will be facing the same basic Patriots team that they met in last year's playoffs, except that the Pats have added Moss, Welker, Stallworth, and a healthy Maroney, and replaced Seymour, who was ineffective in that game, with Jarvis Moss.
:thumbup: <- Adalius Thomas.
Yeah, seriously.Adalius is going to go wild... hopefully he'll be covering Gates as he matches up well with him.

I don't know how you're still missing my point. I don't care how you rate the two teams. You keep harping on this Seymour thing. I don't understand how you're not able to read this:

Seymour is a top player in the NFL. He had a bad game that game. If we look only at the Patriots team that played in San Diego last year, and say that, on that day, it looked like the Chargers were better, then part of the reason the Chargers looked better that day was that Seymour only had one tackle. Maybe it's because the Chargers offensive line devoted their entire effort to stopping him, maybe it's because he had a bad game. But for the purposes of that comparison - which is the only thing I'm talking about - it's not as steep a dropoff from what Seymour did in that game to what Moss should be able to do this weekend.

I have not once in this thread said that Moss is as good as Seymour, or that Seymour is not a good player. You might not have understood what I was saying, but I can't make it any clearer for you.

:rolleyes: <- Adalius Thomas.
Sorry, I included Thomas the first 100 times I tried to explain it to JWB. I must have missed it this time.

I don't know how you're still missing my point. I don't care how you rate the two teams. You keep harping on this Seymour thing. I don't understand how you're not able to read this:Seymour is a top player in the NFL. He had a bad game that game. If we look only at the Patriots team that played in San Diego last year, and say that, on that day, it looked like the Chargers were better, then part of the reason the Chargers looked better that day was that Seymour only had one tackle. Maybe it's because the Chargers offensive line devoted their entire effort to stopping him, maybe it's because he had a bad game. But for the purposes of that comparison - which is the only thing I'm talking about - it's not as steep a dropoff from what Seymour did in that game to what Moss should be able to do this weekend. I have not once in this thread said that Moss is as good as Seymour, or that Seymour is not a good player. You might not have understood what I was saying, but I can't make it any clearer for you.
If you don't care how I rate the teams, why did you bother responding to my post in the first place?I stopped looking "only at the Patriots team that played in San Diego last year" several posts ago. You're the one now insisting on continuing that comparison.And if you admit one reason Seymour may have been ineffective was due to the Chargers' offensive scheme, then isn't it obvious that if Moss isn't as good they will be free to key on other aspects of the defense? That would seem to help the Chargers. That has been my point in most of my posts. The loss of Seymour hurts the Pats defense. The fact that you can't just agree with that and move on is ridiculous.

Ive gotta defend Seymour a little because the guy was playing hurt down the stretch of last season, and was hurt in the San Diego game. He hardly even played the next week in the Colts game, but he's a team captain, a leader and a football gladiator, so he wanted to be on the field. He was nowhere near 100%. It was respect for Seymour from the New England coaches and his willingness to play that kept him on the field against the Chargers. But with that said, Id say Jarvis Green at 100% is better than Seymour at 75%. And right now, Green is playing 100% and was a full-grown-man against the Jets, and he's a solid player, so his play at RDend is an improvement over what the Pats were getting from that position last year in the playoffs. Definite upgrade there for the Pats. But when healthy, Seymour is absolutely one of the better Dlinemen in the league. top 12 overall NFL player? Im not sure. But definitely one of the best 3-4 linemen in the game.

The biggest difference in these Pats now as opposed to those down the stretch imo is at the LB spot, where Adalius Thomas is an actual playmaker at inside LB, allowing Vrabel to play outside at end/OLB where he belongs. Vrabel had 3 sacks against the Jets at his natural position. He's NOT an inside LB, and thats where he was forced to play last year. He was horribly out of position there. So, with the presence of one addition at LB in Thomas, the Pats have improved TWO LB positions. That's only going to help them against the run, and with covering Gates. Thomas will be moved around a little to help cover Gates...one of the few LBs out there who have the size and speed to offer a decent matchup.

San Diego is going to need to get some better play out of their WRs next week. New England will definitely line up strong against the run and dare the Chargers to beat them on the outside. If Rivers can find someone other than Gates to throw to who will make plays, then this will be a competitive game. If that doesnt happen, New England is going to hold this O down doing just what the Bears did to them. The difference is the Pats of course have a decent QB who can put points on the board, and the home field advantage will factor in. Anyone who thinks the Bears D is better than the Pats D is kidding themselves. New England trailed only Baltimore last year in points allowed in the NFL. Theyve got players on that line you just cant move. And even without Seymour, that front 3 is still probably the best in the league. They dont get as many turnovers or make as many glamorous plays as Chicago, but theyre absolutely a better overall D. San Diego on the road against Tom Brady and the Pats is nothing like a home game against Rex Grossman and the Bears. I think we all know that.

I expect a lower-scoring game in the low 20s, but with LT2's motivation, its not going to suprise me one bit to see this game reach the 30s. He's clearly a man on a mission...but so is Brady. And it'll be just another day at the office for him. I'll take the Pats 34-27.

:drive: <- Adalius Thomas.
Yeah, seriously.Adalius is going to go wild... hopefully he'll be covering Gates as he matches up well with him.
A Thomas matched up well on Gates in the ravens game last year, but that was because he had the Ravens D behind him. I think Ravens D > Pats D. I think Gates will eat A Thomas up, if they put man coverage on him. They will have to put a safety on him too.....

Chargers Notes

A cross-country rivalry heats up again this weekend when the San Diego Chargers head to New England for a rematch against the team that knocked it out of the 2006 NFL Playoffs. The Bolts and Patriots will battle on Sunday, Sept. 16 before a nationaltelevision audience on NBC’s Sunday Night Football. Kickoff is scheduled for 5:15 pm PDT.

Though separated by more than 2,500 miles, the Chargers-Patriots series has become one of the league’s most intense over the last few years. The history of the rivalry dates back to 1963 when the Chargers won their first-ever championship, defeating the Boston Patriots, 51-10, in the ’63 AFL Championship Game. Since 2001, the Chargers and Patriots have met four times, including last season’s playoff game. Here’s a look back.

• In 2001, Tom Brady, making just his third career start, rallied the Pats from a 26-16 fourth quarter deficit to win the game 29-26 in overtime at the old Foxboro Stadium.

• In 2002, the Chargers returned the favor as LaDainian Tomlinson recorded the first 200-yard game of his career with 217 yards and two touchdowns as the Bolts shocked the defending Super Bowl Champion Patriots, 21-14, at Qualcomm Stadium.

• In 2004 the Chargers did it again, knocking off the two-time defending Super Bowl Champions at Gillette Stadium by a score of 41-17 to end the Patriots’ NFL-record 21-game home winning streak. Tomlinson rushed for 134 yards and two touchdowns in the win.

• In 2006, the Chargers and Patriots meet in an AFC Divisional Playoff Game at Qualcomm Stadium. The Bolts season comes to a heartbreaking end as the Pats overcome a 21-13 fourthquarter deficit and rally for a 24-21 victory.

Sunday night’s game will be the Chargers’ second of three this season against a team that played in last season’s AFC-NFC Championship Games. The Bolts opened their season on Sunday with a win over the reigning NFC Champion Chicago Bears (14-3) and still have to face the Super Bowl Champion Indianapolis Colts in San Diego on Nov. 11. This is the third year in a row that the Chargers will face both of the teams that played in the previous year’s Super Bowl.

REVENGE FACTOR

There is no doubt the Chargers will be looking for some revenge on Sunday against the team that knocked it out of the 2006 NFL Playoffs. If history is any indication, the Chargers’ chances of opening the season 2-0 are pretty good. Since the NFL switched to its current

playoff format, five times the Chargers have faced the team that knocked it out of the playoffs the previous season and the Bolts are a perfect 5-0 in those “revenge” games. Here’s a look at those games.

• After being knocked out of the 1980 AFL Championship Game by the Oakland Raiders on the famed “Holy Roller” play, the Chargers returned the favor by beating the Raiders twice in 1981 (55-21 in Oakland and 23-10 in San Diego)

• After falling to Cincinnati in the 1981 “Ice Bowl” AFC Championship Game, the Bolts exacted revenge late in the 1982 season with a 50-34 win over the Bengals.

• In 1992, the Miami Dolphins put the Chargers out of the playoffs in the Divisional Round, but a year later, the Bolts took out their frustration with a 45-20 win.

• And in 2005, the Chargers got their revenge against the New York Jets, winning 31-26 at Giants Stadium after the Jets had dashed the Chargers’ 2004 playoff dreams by upsetting the Bolts at Qualcomm Stadium.

BOLTS MAKE IT 11 IN A ROW

Sunday against Chicago, the Chargers won their 11th straight regular season game. It’s the longest active win streak in the NFL and the second-longest in team history (15 games, 1960-61). The Chargers have won four straight on the road and were 6-2 away from home in 2006.

BOLTS ON NBC SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

Sunday night’s Chargers-Patriots game will be broadcast across the nation on NBC’s Sunday Night Football. The Chargers are quite comfortable playing in front of Al Michaels, John Madden and the NBC crew as last season, San Diego was a perfect 3-0 in NBC SNF games. The Bolts beat Pittsburgh at home (23-13), they won in Denver (35-27) and also beat Kansas City in San Diego (20-9).

The Chargers also opened the 2006 season with an ESPN night game in Oakland, winning 27-0 to push their mark to 4-0 last season in nationally televised night games. Dating back to the 2005 season, the Chargers have won five straight and six of their last seven night games on national television.

CHARGERS-PATRIOTS SERIES HISTORY

The Chargers and Patriots, two of the original members of the American Football League, have faced each other 32 times in the regular season and twice now in the postseason. New England leads the all-time series 18-14-2 and holds a 9-8-1 edge in games that were played in Boston, but the Chargers did win the last game in Foxboro, knocking off the Patriots in 2005 to halt New England’s NFL-record 21-game home win streak. The Chargers have won the last two regular season games, including the win in ’05 at Gillette Stadium and a 21-14 win in San Diego over the defending Super Bowl Champion Patriots in 2002.

“THE HOT LIST”

• Making his debut as the head coach of the San Diego Chargers, Norv Turner leads the “Hot List” after leading the Bolts to a 14-3 win over the defending NFC Champion Chicago Bears…with his team trailing 3-0 late in the third quarter, Turner dug deep into the playbook and called for a perfectly executed halfback option pass by LaDainian Tomlinson that went for 17 yards and a touchdown to Antonio Gates to give the Bolts a 7-3 lead…after a forced turnover by the Bolts defense, Turner again dialed LT’s number for a seven-yard touchdown run that gave the Bolts the 14-3 lead…then after forcing Chicago to turn the ball over on downs, Turner’s play-calling allowed the Chargers offense to eat up the final 6:02 on the game clock as the Bolts closed out the win to begin the season 1-0.

• For Turner, it marked the first time in his career that he won his coaching debut and he became the fourth straight Chargers coach to win his debut game.

• Turner also helped the Chargers end an ominous streak…Sunday’s win over the Bears was the Bolts first-ever season opening win against a team that had played in the Super Bowl the previous season…the Chargers had been 0-4 previously in such games and were outscored by a combined 140-7…the last time the Chargers had opened the season against a team that had been in the Super Bowl the previous year was 1997 when the Bolts opened the season in New England against the runner-up Patriots and were defeated 41-7.

• LaDainian Tomlinson makes the “Hot List” for his prowess on the ground and through the air…Tomlinson gave the Chargers offense the lift it needed with his arm instead of his legs when he and Antonio Gates connected on a 17-yard touchdown pass late in the third quarter…LT’s seventh-career TD pass and second to Gates gave the Chargers a 7-3 lead…Tomlinson would then stretch the San Diego lead to 14-3 on the next series when he capped off an eight-play, 56-yard drive with a seven yard run.

• For his career as a passer, Tomlinson has now completed 8 of 11 for 143 yards and seven touchdowns for a passer rating of 154.4…his seven TD passes are the second-most in NFL history by a non-QB…it was fitting that Tomlinson threw his seventh against the Bears because the NFL-record holder in this category is former Bear Walter Payton with eight.

• Tomlinson has at least one rushing touchdown in six of his seven career Opening Day games.

• Antonio Gates makes the “Hot List” after setting game highs with nine catches and 107 yards and catching the only touchdown pass of the afternoon…it was Gates’ second-career 100-yard game on Opening Day (123 at Houston in 2004).

• Mike Scifres and the Chargers’ punt coverage teams make the “Hot List”, particularly in the first half of Sunday’s win over Chicago…Scifres punted six times in the game, averaging 40.7 yards per punt, and the coverage team did not allow the Bears a single return yard…three times, Scifres and his crew forced Bears Pro Bowl return man Devin Hester to call for fair catches…Scifres’ shortest punt of the day may have been his most important however…late in the third quarter, he hit a 22-yard punt that actually deflected off the cable supporting FOX’s Cable-Cam, but fortunately the punt took a great bounce and hit Bears’ safety Brandon McGowan in the shoulder…the errant ball was recovered by heads up cover man Matt Wilhelm and four plays later, Tomlinson threw his TD pass to Gates and the Bolts were on the scoreboard with a 7-3 lead.

• Wilhelm and Stephen Cooper, the Chargers’ two new starting inside linebackers, had huge days…particularly Cooper, thus earning “Hot List” accolades…on the opening drive of the third quarter, Cooper recovered a Cedric Benson fumble, which had been caused by Jamal Williams…then early in the fourth quarter with the Bears driving, Cooper hit and stripped the Bears other running back, Adrian Peterson, and Clinton Hart recovered to give the ball back to the Bolts…eight plays later, LT scored from seven yards out to give the Chargers a 14-3 lead and help put the game away.

• Rookie Eric Weddle made the “Hot List” after turning in several big plays in his first career NFL regular season game…in the first half alone, Weddle helped stall four Chicago drives with four big third down plays…on Chicago’s opening offensive series, Weddle recorded a one-yard tackle for loss on a 3rd and 14 play, then he helped stall the next two drives with quarterback pressures on both third down plays and lastly he ended a fourth Bears drive with a five-yard sack of Rex Grossman on a 3rd-and-9 play.

LT THE QUARTERBACK

He did it again. On Sunday against Chicago, Tomlinson threw his seventh-career touchdown pass, hitting Antonio Gates on a 17-yard halfback-option pass for a touchdown in the third quarter. LT now has thrown the second-most touchdown passes by a non-quarterback in NFL history. Below is an updated look at each of his seven career TD passes, along with his updated career passing statistics.

• 09/28/03 — 21 yards to Drew Brees at Oakland

• 09/25/05 — 26 yards to Keenan McCardell vs. N.Y. Giants

• 10/16/05 — 4 yards to Justin Peelle at Oakland

• 10/30/05 — 17 yards to Eric Parker vs. K.C.

• 10/22/06 — 1 yard to Brandon Manumaleuna at K.C.

• 11/26/06 — 19 yards to Antonio Gates vs. Oakland

• 09/09/07 — 17 yards to Antonio Gates

Patriots Notes

TWO IS TOUGH

The Patriots will aim to start the season with back-to-back victories, a feat that has historically proven quite difficult to achieve. New England has opened the season with a 2-0 record just eight times in the franchise’s 47 previous seasons. This decade, New England has begun the season with back-to-back wins on three occasions (2002, 2004 and 2006). Last season, 11 NFL clubs began the year with a 2-0 record. In both 2004 and 2005, only seven of the NFL’s 32 clubs opened the season with back-to-back wins.

HOMELAND DEFENSE

Since Gillette Stadium opened in 2002, the Patriots have had the NFL’s best defense at home. New England has allowed an average of just 15.76 points per game, a figure that leads the league since 2002. Additionally, the Patriots’ 36-9 home record since 2002 (including regular-season and playoff games) is the second best in the NFL over that span.

SERIES HISTORY

The Patriots and Chargers will play for the 35th time overall and for the second time this calendar year. In the divisional playoffs on January 14, 2007, the Patriots claimed a 24-21 victory in San Diego to advance to the AFC Championship Game. The series dates back to 1960, the inaugural season for each team, with the Patriots holding an 18-14-2 lead. The Chargers won the last two regular-season meetings, including a 41-17 win in the 2005 regular season. Prior to a loss to the Chargers in the 2002 regular season, the Patriots captured 10 straight victories dating back to 1970, the final season of the AFL.

The Patriots advanced to the AFC Championship Game on a game-winning 31-yard field goal by rookie kicker Stephen Gostkowski with 1:10 remaining in the game. Tom Brady orchestrated his 24th career game-winning performance to lead the Patriots to victory following a fourth-quarter deficit or tie. San Diego took a 21-13 lead midway through the fourth quarter, but on the ensuing drive, the Patriots tied the game on a Reche Caldwell touchdown followed by a 2-point conversion run by Kevin Faulk. During New England’s touchdown drive, Tom Brady was intercepted by San Diego’s Marlon McCree, but Troy Brown stripped the ball and forced a fumble that the Patriots recovered to extend their game-tying drive. Following a three-and-out by the Patriots defense, New England drove for the game-winning field goal. San Diego missed a 54-yard field goal in the final seconds to send the Patriots to the AFC title game.

THE LAST REGULAR SEASON MEETING:

CHARGERS 41, PATRIOTS 17

The Patriots suffered their first loss at home in two-and-a-half years, dropping to 2-2 on the 2005 season and seeing their 21-game home winning streak ended. The teams traded scores throughout the first half, with the Patriots taking a 7-3 first quarter lead on a 1-yard Corey Dillon run. The Chargers regained the lead on an 11-yard touchdown pass from Drew Brees to Keenan McCardell, but the Patriots answered with a 30-yard hookup from Tom Brady to Tim Dwight. After a LaDainian Tomlinson touchdown run gave the Chargers a 17-14 lead, Adam Vinatieri tied the score on a 34-yard field goal with seconds remaining in the half. The Chargers opened the scoring in the second half on Tomlinson’s second rushing touchdown, and the Patriots were not able to respond, as the Chargers scored an additional 17 unanswered points to put the game out of reach.

PASSING PERFORMANCES

Tom Brady has started four times against San Diego, completing 115 passes for 1,221 yards. Brady’s 364 yards against the Chargers in 2001 mark the fourth highest single-game total of his career. His 353 yards at San Diego on Sept. 29, 2002 constitute Brady’s seventh highest career total. Brady has thrown for 280 or more yards in three of his four career games against the Chargers, has thrown for multiple touchdowns three times in his four games and has attempted 50 or more passes in three of the four contests.

PATRIOTS-CHARGERS QUICK HITS

• The Patriots’ Oct. 14, 2001 victory over the Chargers was the first of Tom Brady’s 24 career fourth quarter comeback performances. New England’s divisional playoff victory over San Diego last season is Brady’s most recent comeback.

• The Chargers are one of only three non-division opponents to which Tom Brady has multiple losses in his career (2). The others are Denver (5) and Indianapolis (3).

• Since Bill Belichick became head coach in 2000, the Patriots are 6-3 in games against teams they played in the previous season’s playoffs, with two wins over Indianapolis in 2004, victories over Pittsburgh (2002 and 2005), Jacksonville (2006) and the New York Jets (2007) and losses to Oakland (2002), Indianapolis (2005) and Denver (2006).

• This week’s game marks the second of two straight playoff rematches to begin the 2007 season. New England defeated the New York Jets last week in a rematch of their wild card playoff game from last season.

• This week’s game will mark just the second time in team history that the Patriots will play their home opener on a Sunday night, with the other occasion coming on Sept. 13, 1998 – a 29-6 win over the Indianapolis Colts.

TOM ON TURF

Tom Brady has enjoyed significant success on artificial surfaces throughout his career, and the Patriots have won 24 of their 26 games on artificial turf since 2001.

• Brady has compiled a career record of 24-2 as a starter in games played on artificial surfaces, including regular season and playoff games. His only losses came at Buffalo (09/07/03) and at Indianapolis (01/21/07).

• In his 26 previous starts on artificial surfaces, Brady has thrown 48 touchdowns and just 20 interceptions. ? Brady’s touchdown-to-interception ratio on artificial surfaces is 2.4-to-1, as opposed to 1.8-to-1 on grass.

• On artificial surfaces, Brady has compiled a career passer rating of 97.7, compared to an 85.8 career rating on grass.

DOMINATING DEFENSE

Since the beginning of the 2001 season, the Patriots have allowed an average of 17.70 points per game, a mark that ranks third in the NFL over that span. The Patriots have allowed 17.0 points per game or fewer in four of the six seasons since 2001.

SNAPSHOTS OF SUCCESS

The Patriots are in the midst of one of the most prosperous periods for any team in NFL history. The recent run of success began with a 29-26 overtime victory against the San Diego Chargers on Oct. 14, 2001, sparking a streak of 82 wins in the Patriots’ last 107 games, including the playoffs.

TOUGH SCHEDULE

The Patriots’ 2007 schedule is the third hardest in the NFL based on their opponents’ 2006 winning percentage. Patriots opponents had a cumulative record of 137-119 last season, just one game behind the opponents of the Buffalo Bills and Oakland Raiders, who are tied for the hardest schedule (138-118 opponents 2006 record).

• Eight of the 16 games will be against 2006 playoff teams.

• The Patriots will play the teams that were seeded in each of the top three spots in the 2006 AFC playoffs (SD, BAL, IND).

• Ten of the 16 games will be against teams that posted records of .500 or better in 2006.

• The Patriots will have rematches against each of their 2006 playoff foes: hosting the New York Jets and San Diego Chargers while traveling to play the Jets and the Indianapolis Colts.

• The Patriots tied the best road record in team history in 2006 (7-1), and will be put to the test on the road in 2007. Six of the Patriots’ eight road games will be against teams that finished the 2006 season with a record of .500 or better and five road games will be against 2006 playoff teams.

PLAYOFF PERFORMERS

The Patriots are the only team in the NFL to have won at least one playoff game in each of the last four seasons.

SELLOUT STREAK

In the early 1990s, the Patriots franchise appeared destined for relocation until Robert Kraft’s purchase of the team rejuvenated local interest. In 1991, the team’s season ticket base consisted of just 17,635 fans, barely enough to support the club. Fifteen years later, the season-ticket base stands at a capped total of 61,759 and more than 50,000 fans are on a waiting list. The Patriots have sold out 139 consecutive home games (dating back to the 1994 regular-season opener) including regular-season, preseason and playoff games. Patriots fans in New England have never been faced with a TV blackout under Kraft’s ownership.

SUCCESS STORY

Since Robert Kraft purchased the team in 1994, the Patriots have been one of the NFL’s elite franchises. Over the first 13-plus years of Kraft’s ownership, the Patriots own the highest win total among all NFL teams in addition to the highest winning percentage – a remarkable record considering the fact that the Patriots were a combined 19-61 (.311) in the five years immediately preceding the purchase.

Bill Belichick is in his 33rd season as an NFL coach and is the only head coach in NFL history to win three Super Bowl titles in a four-year span. In the 2006 season, Belichick led the Patriots to the AFC Championship Game for the fourth time in six seasons. He has directed four consecutive AFC East titles and has produced five division championships in the last six seasons. Belichick’s Patriots teams own the all-time NFL records for consecutive total victories (21 from 2003-04), consecutive regular-season victories (18 from 2003-04) and consecutive playoff victories (10 from 2001-05). Belichick owns the second best postseason record in NFL history (13-3) and is the winningest NFL head coach since 2001 (82-28). From 2003-04, he directed the Patriots to back-toback Super Bowl titles while posting consecutive 17-win campaigns. Belichick has spent more seasons in the league than any other current NFL head coach, and in that time has been a part of five Super Bowl championship teams. His overall record of 88-39 with the Patriots gives him the most victories and the best winning percentage of any head coach in franchise history.

SUPER SUCCESS

Bill Belichick is one of just four head coaches to win three championships since the Super Bowl Era began following the 1966 season. Coach Belichick joins three members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame in the exclusive club. Belichick is the only coach to win three Super Bowls in the post-1993 salary cap era.

NFL’S BEST DEFENSIVE MIND

In a recent Sports Illustrated poll of 361 NFL players, Bill Belichick was selected as the best defensive mind in the NFL, earning 35 percent of the players’ vote. Indianapolis’ Tony Dungy ranked second with 15 percent of the vote, while Chicago’s Lovie Smith (9 percent) and Cincinnati’s Marvin Lewis (8 percent) also garnered votes in the poll.

RANKED AMONG COACHING GREATS

In a recent Sportsnation Poll on ESPN.com, Bill Belichick was placed among the top five greatest coaches of all time (in any sport) by 9.4 percent of the poll’s 117,000 voters. Voters were asked to select five coaches from a list of 20, and Coach Belichick finished 14th. UCLA’s John Wooden (10 NCAA basketball titles) topped the poll with 44.4 percent of voters placing him in the top five. The other football coaches in the poll were Vince Lombardi (11.8 percent), Knute Rockne (11.4), Bear Bryant (10.5), Don Shula (10.3), Bill Walsh (10.0) and Joe Paterno (9.9). The only other Boston-area coach in the poll was the late Red Auerbach, who won nine NBA championships with the Celtics and finished with a 9.6 percent total in the poll.

yeah, san diego did great against them in the playoffs.

if they had just scored some more points they would have won that game.

30 more an it would've been a blow out.

Hey Pats,

No need to cheat this week. I'll go ahead and give you the plays...

1. Hand Off to LT

2. Throw to Gates

3. One play have LT throw to Gates

Repeat

This game doesnt mean as much as the playoff game, duh.

So Im not as nervous and actually expect a tight game with the bolts coming out on top.

SD - 31

NE - 27

I just want to see Brady gets destroyed by Merriman and/or Phillips on a play when they have no idea what defense is called. I was wondering all day, how Brady could sit back in the pocket last week with 5+ seconds. Now we know. He's just as big a cheater.

I just want to see Brady gets destroyed by Merriman and/or Phillips on a play when they have no idea what defense is called. I was wondering all day, how Brady could sit back in the pocket last week with 5+ seconds. Now we know. He's just as big a cheater.
The camera was confiscated after the first quarter. They never used what was in it for this game.

The camera was confiscated after the first quarter. They never used what was in it for this game.
I still want to see him get destroyed.

I still want to see him get destroyed.
You will be waiting a long time for that. You'd have more luck hoping that Favre doesn't throw 3 INTs this week and looks like the shell of the man he once was.

ESPN NFL Countdown.... All 5 pick Patriots.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/notebook?pag...mp;lid=tab6pos1

Be scared San Diego.

The Patriots are pissed off!

:shrug:
SD has smacked them around the last 2 times they played. Nothing will be different this time.
:goodposting:
You can still beat a team up and down the field and have horrible luck/calls etc and lose. That is why the NBA, Hockey, etc have series play, so the better team advances. In football you can not have series play (injuries/time/etc), that is why the saying any given sunday comes along. The Pats had their any given sunday game last Jan, still doesnt change the fact the Bolts slammed them around most of the game, and pretty much everyone will admit that except for ubber homer Pat fans. Put it this way, if they played that game 10 times, you think the Pats win it more then maybe 3?Same thing happened the time before when the teams played. Yah, scoreboard is all that matters at the end and New England won the last time out, good for them, that's what its all about. But it still doesn't change what happend during the 60 minutes of play, that being the Chargers are a better team top to bottom and it will be reflected AGAIN on Sunday.

Make sense BSS?

Be scared San Diego.

:rolleyes:
SD has smacked them around the last 2 times they played. Nothing will be different this time.
:confused:
You can still beat a team up and down the field and have horrible luck/calls etc and lose. That is why the NBA, Hockey, etc have series play, so the better team advances. In football you can not have series play (injuries/time/etc), that is why the saying any given sunday comes along. The Pats had their any given sunday game last Jan, still doesnt change the fact the Bolts slammed them around most of the game, and pretty much everyone will admit that except for ubber homer Pat fans. Put it this way, if they played that game 10 times, you think the Pats win it more then maybe 3?Same thing happened the time before when the teams played. Yah, scoreboard is all that matters at the end and New England won the last time out, good for them, that's what its all about. But it still doesn't change what happend during the 60 minutes of play, that being the Chargers are a better team top to bottom and it will be reflected AGAIN on Sunday.

Make sense BSS?
Wow, you sound just like Kordell Stewart after the Pats beat them in the playoff to go on to SB36. He swore the better team didn't win, then opening game the following year, the Steelers came to NE and got beat again.

Be scared San Diego.

Make sense BSS?
Wow, you sound just like Kordell Stewart after the Pats beat them in the playoff to go on to SB36. He swore the better team didn't win, then opening game the following year, the Steelers came to NE and got beat again.
Then bump it on Sunday...

Be scared San Diego.

Make sense BSS?
Sorry, can't. I'll be drinking beer, eating red meat in the parking lot in Foxboro.I'll see ya Monday....afternoon.

Be scared San Diego.

Make sense BSS?
Sorry, can't. I'll be drinking beer, eating red meat in the parking lot in Foxboro.I'll see ya Monday....afternoon.
Sounds good, nice to see you are going to the game, have fun, and don't bring your video camera :cry:

Be scared San Diego.

;)
:thumbup:

Make sense BSS?
I hope your right

Be scared San Diego.

:mellow:
:goodposting:

Make sense BSS?
Sounds good, nice to see you are going to the game, have fun, and don't bring your video camera :D
That would be illegal.

Even with all the controversy going around lately, I still think SD is more pissed off than the Pats are going to be. This can work one of two ways. Either they come out like a house on fire, or they start making stupid mistakes like they did towards the end of last years playoff game. I still think the Chargers win. Their offense is too good to come out flat again. This is the type of game that reminds me why I love football.

Interesting article.

Legal spying -- not videotaping -- widespread in NFL

By Jeffri Chadiha

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: September 13, 2007

San Diego Chargers coach Norv Turner laid out the ground rules when he addressed his team on Monday, one day after beating the Bears in the season opener.

In shifting his team's focus to the next opponent on the schedule -- the New England Patriots this Sunday -- Turner didn't want his players speaking of revenge for last season's playoff loss. He didn't want anybody dwelling on the anger that swelled after a few Patriots mocked the post-sack celebration of Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman following that defeat.

Most of all, he didn't want his players to take a lackadaisical approach in terms of protecting the Chargers' game plan. To that end, Turner told the players that their playbooks would be locked up during their Saturday afternoon walk-through at Gillette Stadium. That was a guarantee.

Normally, Turner might not be so overly paranoid about entering another team's stadium. But ever since news spread that the Patriots were videotaping the defensive signals of the New York Jets during New England's 38-14 win last Sunday, extra precautions were being made.

"Norv wanted us to know that he was going to be careful," one Chargers player said. "We'd already heard a lot of things about the Patriots in the past. But what happened this week has made everybody a lot more cautious. He was even talking about keeping Patriots employees from entering our hotel."

But will Turner and the Chargers be as cautious in the Week 3 game at Green Bay? Or before upcoming games against AFC West foes Kansas City, Denver and Oakland? Just how widespread is the illegal videotaping of signals?

Not very, according to numerous league and team officials contacted this week. Legal spying, stealing signals, the cat-and-mouse gamesmanship -- that's done by every team. But illegal spying through the use of videotape? Not common at all, according to sources who wished to remain anonymous. Most teams adhere to the strict policies in the league's Game Operations Manual that prohibit video recording devices on the field, in the coaches' booth and in the locker room during games.

"There isn't a team in the league that doesn't try to steal signals [but] I haven't heard about teams recording footage like the Patriots were," said one longtime NFL assistant coach. "But you can bet everybody is trying to steal in some way. In fact, you can go to any NFL game and you'll find some coach whose sole job is to look for defensive signals."

Added one NFC personnel director: "What the Patriots did is extremely rare because it's against the rules. It's one of those things that if it's not Bill Belichick involved, you wonder if the coach survives something like that. What is more normal is something like a guy sitting in a press box trying to steal signs by looking at the coaches. That's why the home team usually has its back to the press box when they're in their own stadium."

While it may be difficult to believe Belichick's Patriots are the only ones using the latest video technology to their advantage, the fact is they're the only ones who have been caught. If other teams knew opponents were illegally videotaping their signals, they'd likely alert league and stadium security, much like the Jets did Sunday at the Meadowlands.

"This is the first time I've heard of somebody doing what New England did," one AFC personnel director said. "It wouldn't surprise me if somebody else has tried it in the past but the bottom line is that it's illegal. We all get the same memos from the league each season telling us what we can't do."

Added an NFC general manager: "The accusation far outweighs what is actually happening. This isn't rampant throughout the league. Now, the arrogance of thinking you could get away with it? That is the beauty of this. … It's the height of arrogance."

An AFC executive suggested that Belichick "probably got greedy and let whatever issues he has with [Jets coach Eric] Mangini get the best of him."

Another current assistant coach said the legal stealing of signals is just "good coaching. But when you start using video equipment to steal signs, you're off the reservation. I think that's a whole different matter. That goes against everything we've been taught as coaches."

That's one reason illegal videotaping of signals isn't widespread. Here's another reason: It may not be worth the risk of getting caught.

Sources say there is only so much that can be gained by stealing signals. Generally, coaches want to know only two things about the defense: (1) When a blitz is coming; and (2) What kind of coverage the defense is going to play. That type of information can be gleaned easily from other forms -- legal forms -- of spying.

Bill Belichick's Patriots might be flying solo in this spy story.

Along with using an assistant coach to chart signals during games, there is only one other common way teams steal signs -- by having somebody do it in advance. An NFC scout said that in scouting games of future opponents, all teams look for a number of things including injuries, personnel moves and signals. However, just as with having an assistant watch for signals during a game, that information is used generally for future preparation, not for current contests as the Patriots were apparently trying to do at halftime Sunday.

And even when teams do pick up those hints for future games, the impact may be minimal once the contest is under way.

"New England realistically may have been able to catch one or two plays from doing that and they could've had somebody in the press box getting the same information," said former Atlanta Falcons general manager Ken Herock, who also worked as an executive in Oakland and Green Bay. "And what you're actually talking about is one or two plays out of about 60 snaps a game. That really isn't a great advantage."

Plus, there is no guarantee a team will capitalize when it knows what plays are coming. A pass can be dropped, a block missed or a snap fumbled. There also are these likelihoods: A team can change its signs frequently, which often happens in the NFL, or a coach can confuse his own players with too much information about opponents.

Besides, it's not as though the defense isn't taking its own precautions.

Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards said stealing signals -- the legal way -- has become so widespread that most defensive coaches use elaborate systems to communicate with players.

"Just look at some of the middle linebackers now playing," Edwards said. "They're wearing huge wristbands with plays on them just like quarterbacks do. That's so they can look at a number on their wrists and know what the coach on the sideline wants to run. And of course, you have three different people sending in different signals so nobody can pick up on what you're doing. That's how crazy it has gotten."

Added former NFL coach Chuck Knox: "I never had that feeling that somebody was spying from one side to the other because most of the time you give a dummy signal. You keep changing them up. Then you have two guys on the sidelines giving them. I think it's a whole lot about nothing."

Despite whatever penalties are handed down to the Patriots, expect the legal spy games to continue, at least until the NFL institutes an audio headset for the defense similar to the system used by quarterbacks get plays from the sidelines. And if you're thinking of doing something illegal? Seeing the Patriots get caught should act as a deterrent to any team contemplating such an action.

"In the NFL, in football in general, when you have all the players and somebody is doing that, it gets out," Knox said. "There are no secrets."

So I've been thinking about this one more since my previous 24 - 17 Pats victory prediction.

The Chargers do have some things to their advantage:

1) The Pats have NEVER been able to handle LaDainian, and while they have a good defense, I don't think it compares to the Bears of last Sunday. The Chargers can run on these guys, as they have in recent history. While the Jets didn't do much running vs. the Pats D last week, they only attempted 19 rushes. I'd expect about double that number from the Chargers this week as they try to beat down the Pats D like they did last January. And THIS time they have a coach who won't let up on the run when it's working.

2) I think the Chargers special teams are better than the Pats. I realize Hobbs had the big return, but that's probably the last one of those the Pats will get this year. In fact I invite Hobbs to continue to attempt returning kick offs that start out 8 yards deep in his own end zone. Apart from one blocked field goal the Chargers dominated the Bears special teams last week, which is a huge accomplishment, especially essentially eliminating Hester as a factor.

3) The Pats won't be able to run on the Chargers. Maroney will get the Benson treatment this week, and I don't think the rest of the Pats RB's are that great. Forcing Brady to throw 50 times isn't exactly a treat, but it's never a bad thing when you can make the other team's offense one dimensional.

4) Seymour and Harrison out. Enough said.

5) The Chargers basically played a playoff game last week while the Pats were beating up on an average or below average team (no offense Jets fans). Not only did Pennington get hurt, but the Jets traded Kendall away a couple of weeks before the season, meaning the staring line for the Jets hadn't had a full preseason to gel. I also think the Kendall trade was a mistake from a talent perspective too - and the Jets offensive line's performance last week attests to that I believe. Meanwhile the Chargers were playing a team who was in last year's SB, in what was one of the absolute hardest hitting games I can remember in a very long time. If the Chargers hit like that this week I think the Pats are in for a nasty surprise. I think the nature of the opponents for both teams last week has somewhat distorted the perception of their quality going into this week. I also think the game last week will have done much more to prepare the Chargers for this week's game than the Pats' did.

I'm not as pessimistic about the Chargers' chances as I was at the beginning of the week.

Pats 21

Chargers 17

Nice breakdown Groovus...

I agree Pats have trouble with LT at some point. Even if he is contained first half, they will wear down Pats with run and LT/Turner.

Biggest concern is that intermediate passing attack that the Chargers are susceptible to each year. Brady will thrive on that. I think he threw 50 times in the playoff game too. He can find the soft zone. Only difference is - can our corners cover better this year...maybe. And also, what role can Weddle play. I hate to say it's up to the rookie, but in a close game, if he can make 1-2 big plays, that will be the difference maker...

Nice breakdown Groovus...

I agree Pats have trouble with LT at some point. Even if he is contained first half, they will wear down Pats with run and LT/Turner.

Biggest concern is that intermediate passing attack that the Chargers are susceptible to each year. Brady will thrive on that. I think he threw 50 times in the playoff game too. He can find the soft zone. Only difference is - can our corners cover better this year...maybe. And also, what role can Weddle play. I hate to say it's up to the rookie, but in a close game, if he can make 1-2 big plays, that will be the difference maker...
The Pats aren't throwing out Reche Caldwell and Jabbar Gafney as their starting wideouts this time. Those guys ran decent routes and had decent hands*, but let's be honest: Neither of them was worthy of drawing a double-team. Neither of them was a reliable threat to pull away from the CB on deep patterns**. The Chargers could play them straight up man-to-man and force Brady to be perfect on his throws all the while putting on a decent pass rush to disrupt Brady. Now with Moss and Stallworth, if you're going to cover them man-to-man, Brady doesn't have to be so perfect anymore. He can chuck it long to either of them and they can go get it. He can lob it high to a well-covered Moss and he can outjump the CB for it. This means the Chargers will have to start double-teaming and that's when things will open up for Brady.The Chargers CBs may cover better this year, but who they'll be covering will be a huge upgrade from January.

* Ignore for the moment Caldwell's performance in the AFCCG.

** Ignore the gaffe by Jammer on Caldwell's 49yd game-changing catch, more fluky than anything.

Biggest concern is that intermediate passing attack that the Chargers are susceptible to each year. Brady will thrive on that. I think he threw 50 times in the playoff game too. He can find the soft zone.
You chose your poison with the Pats, you can't take away everything all the time. So I can live with the underneath stuff. The back breakers last year defensively (aside from the obvious #### ups) were not getting off the field in 3rd and long situations (which unfortunately happened twice last week too, so I don't think they have corrected that), being incredibly weak in the red zone, and giving up big plays along with the short stuff (the Reche Caldwell 63 yarder on 3rd and 11 to my mind was possibly THE worst play in that whole game last year and it addresses two of the 3 things I mention).There's a really good arcticle in today's San Diego Union Tribune focusing on the Charger secondary. Some quotes I found particularly interesting:

The defensive backs, especially, were moving before plays, disguising their coverage. Such antics require them to get back in the correct spot before the snap, and they did so with precision.

“It doesn't work if you don't have great communication,” defensive end Luis Castillo said. “You look at the amount of time, amount of work our secondary and linebackers have put into learning this . . . We haven't changed much in terms of calls. But there have definitely been changes in terms of communication, the way we move people around. Those guys have put in so much time.

“If you can't communicate when you're bringing that many guys, you're going to give up big plays. To bring that much pressure and not give up big passes, that's a credit to those guys.”

The Chargers' defensive backs approached that game as they likely will this week and all season, with a grudge and an emphasis on not allowing receivers past them.

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has not fared all that well in his past three games against the Chargers:Date Site Cmp. Att. Yds. TD Int. Rating9-29-02 at SD 36 53 353 2 2 83.310-2-05 at NE 19 32 224 1 1 78.11-14-07 at SD 27 51 280 2 3 57.6Totals 82 136 857 5 6 72.5“We knew we just had to do what we were supposed to do,” said Hart, the strong safety. “We didn't have to do anything spectacular. Our front seven is going to do their job. Staying back when we were supposed to stay back, that results in us making plays up front.“That is going to be our M.O. Everything is going to be in front of us. Last year there were deep balls, blown coverages. This year we're going to let everything unfold in front of us.

That will be the goal Sunday.

The Chargers will be trying to cover a better group of receivers, including a likely Hall of Famer in Randy Moss, who caught nine passes for 183 yards and a 51-yard touchdown last week. The Patriots added Moss, Donte Stallworth and Wes Welker in the offseason, giving Brady his best group of receivers ever.

“I definitely think that Brady, now that he's got a weapon like Randy and Donte, he's a bit more confident back there,” McCree said. “We'll just have to do our best to stay on top of those guys.”

Said linebacker Stephen Cooper: “My sleeper is Wes Welker. He can play.”

But the Chargers know this, too. Their success against Brady is predicated on getting to him – either sacking him or hurrying him.

“Got to get after Tom and try to disrupt his timing,” McCree said. “It starts with Tom.”

The Chargers watched incredulously as the Jets hit Brady once in 28 pass plays. Even when they blitzed – which was not enough – they could not get to him.

“When you watched film it looked like they were playing seven on seven,” Hart said, referring to the practice drill in which there is no pass rush. “It looked like he had five, six seconds to throw. That won't happen with our front.

“If they don't throw anything right now, Randy Moss isn't going to get anything. We're going to give them quick outs. No digs, no posts, no gos. They won't beat us running the ball. The only way they have a chance to beat us is if we give up the deep ball.

Kevin Acee: (619) 293-1857; kevin.acee@uniontrib.com
So there you go. No need to even bother stealing signals, the Chargers are telling you what they're going to do. The questions with this strategy obviously are: can they actually keep plays in front of them and not give up the big plays, and can they get enough pressure while not giving up big plays?We'll see on Sunday, but the Charger DBs definitely looked better at this against the Bears than they had in preseason and most of last year.

The Pats aren't throwing out Reche Caldwell and Jabbar Gafney as their starting wideouts this time. Those guys ran decent routes and had decent hands*, but let's be honest: Neither of them was worthy of drawing a double-team. Neither of them was a reliable threat to pull away from the CB on deep patterns**. The Chargers could play them straight up man-to-man and force Brady to be perfect on his throws all the while putting on a decent pass rush to disrupt Brady. Now with Moss and Stallworth, if you're going to cover them man-to-man, Brady doesn't have to be so perfect anymore. He can chuck it long to either of them and they can go get it. He can lob it high to a well-covered Moss and he can outjump the CB for it. This means the Chargers will have to start double-teaming and that's when things will open up for Brady.The Chargers CBs may cover better this year, but who they'll be covering will be a huge upgrade from January.* Ignore for the moment Caldwell's performance in the AFCCG.** Ignore the gaffe by Jammer on Caldwell's 49yd game-changing catch, more fluky than anything.
Firstly, no one is questioning that the talent at receiver has been upgraded for the Pats. However, the guys they had last year did play great in that playoff game, I don't think for purposes of comparison you can dismiss that when considering this match up, it happened. But more importantly, and I think this is pervasive when the comparisons are made Pats vs. Chargers (or Colts for that matter), the Pats have gotten the edge in public perception because they signed name guys. As soon as they got Welker even, he became a name, and it became really popular to talk about how underrated he was, to the point that he's nowhere near underrated anymore. The other two teams have promoted from within, added some draft choices, and the improvements there have not been shown, but I think they're there and are being overlooked. In the Chargers' case the 2007 Jammer/Florence/Cromartie/McCree/Hart/Weddle backfield is a big improvement over the 2006 Jammer/Florence/Cromartie/McCree/Jue/Hart backfield, but no one is talking about it. Similarly with Cooper and Wilhelm (as opposed to adding an Adelius Thomas). And rightfully so because the results haven't been shown on the field long term. But I think the improvement is there (except for Jammer unfortunately, he's the same). I think (o.k. think and hope) that people will see that on Sunday.The situation reminds me of the 2004 NBA season. The Lakers went out and picked up Payton and Malone after losing in the conference finals the previous year and instantly became everyone's favorite to win it all. Funny thing happened - they ran into a younger, stronger, faster team with just as much talent but up to that point virutally unknown for the most part in the Pistons. Nobody knew who Rip Hamilton or Chauncey Billups or Teyshaun Price were when that series started. Everybody (but Piston fans) were saying "who are these guys? There's no way they can hang with the Lakers." But after they thumped the Lakers everybody knew and it suddenly seemed so obvioius.

Looking at last year's game is pointless....

It was Marty ball...

The Chargers coulda been facing the Cardinals or the Bills, and Marty woulda found a way to lose.

Rivera/Turner... new game folks.

Looking at last year's game is pointless.... It was Marty ball...The Chargers coulda been facing the Cardinals or the Bills, and Marty woulda found a way to lose.Rivera/Turner... new game folks.
You do realize you're talking about 59-82-1 Norv Turner here, right? The guy who was 4-12 on his last team, 5-11 on the team before that, and 49-59-1 on the team before that? The one who brought the Chargers to a 4-12 record in 2003? The same team that went 12-4 the next year when he left? So Norv is supposed to be a big upgrade?

The one who brought the Chargers to a 4-12 record in 2003?
He wasn't the head coach then.He's 1-0 right now, and he'll run LaDainian more than 9 times in the second half as long as LaDainian's head hasn't exploded, and that's all I care about.

Looking at last year's game is pointless.... It was Marty ball...The Chargers coulda been facing the Cardinals or the Bills, and Marty woulda found a way to lose.Rivera/Turner... new game folks.
You do realize you're talking about 59-82-1 Norv Turner here, right? The guy who was 4-12 on his last team, 5-11 on the team before that, and 49-59-1 on the team before that? The one who brought the Chargers to a 4-12 record in 2003? The same team that went 12-4 the next year when he left? So Norv is supposed to be a big upgrade?
Easy, didn't say upgrade... but if you think Turner changes it, let's see some analysis there. Regardless, Turner inherited the Chargers. Think George Seifert, put up on the teams Turner has had those years... and he could have a worse record. Yet year one, George inherited teh Ferrari, and was able to drive it across the finish line. Different coordinators too....

Easy, didn't say upgrade... but if you think Turner changes it, let's see some analysis there. Regardless, Turner inherited the Chargers. Think George Seifert, put up on the teams Turner has had those years... and he could have a worse record. Yet year one, George inherited teh Ferrari, and was able to drive it across the finish line. Different coordinators too....
Not much to analyze. I think the Chargers are one of the top three teams in the NFL. They're a great team. They match up very well against the Patriots, I think they outplayed the Patriots last year for 95% of the game, and they are one of a small number of teams that have a legitimate chance to win the Superbowl this year. I just don't think Turner is an upgrade over Schottenheimer.

Users who are viewing this thread