What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chester Taylor a Viking (1 Viewer)

This is a signing you really can't comment until you see the numbers. Taylor is a back who's value is closely tied into his contract. If it's not big money than he's a nice addition because he's a solid RB and the Vikes need help in this area. Yet, on the otherhand he's not the type of player to give a big deal to because I don't think he has a huge ceiling.

If both Taylor and Moore can perform to their fullest that's not a bad little combo.

Very good news for a taylor owner :D
Yeah, his value definetly shot up in a big way with this move. It will be real interesting to see how he's viewed around fantasy draft day this year.

Yeah, his value definetly shot up in a big way with this move. It will be real interesting to see how he's viewed around fantasy draft day this year.
We'll have to wait and see how the Vikings plan to use him. Owners might have been better off with him as the feature back in Baltimore rather than a RBBC in Minnesota.

We'll have to wait and see how the Vikings plan to use him. Owners might have been better off with him as the feature back in Baltimore rather than a RBBC in Minnesota.
Add in the fact you have kind of an unknown factor in the new Head Coach (Childress) and Taylor could be a player that's viewed very differently by many owners come draft day. There's still the issue of who will be the starting QB in Minny as well which will also have a big bearing on his value.

Reeks of RBBC - Taylor, MM and Fason - not excited!
I think you need to see his contract before you can really make a guess. If they gave him good money that may indicate they see him as the man. If it's not than he may be just piece of the puzzle. My guess is if he plays up to what the Vikes are hoping he is than he'll be the man (although I do see both Moore and Fason as factors as well). He probably talked with staff about this before signing because I don't see him diving right into a RBBC situation. Doesn't mean it won't end up that way but I bet they think he can be their main RB.

Taylor will be the featured back, mark it!
Agreed you don't pay that kind of money for an RBBC when they already have that mess on their hands. Also, you don't target someone on the 1st day of free agency if you aren't serious about him.

Where's the Ciatrick fason lovers now? That guy went like 1.07 in my dynasty rookie draft last year.
This is more proof that RBs that go outside the top 1-5 in dynasty rookie drafts are bitter longshots with little worth than anything else.

Excellent signing for the Vikes. Taylor averaged almost a yard per carry better than J Lewis (while running behind the same putrid line). He's quick, has great vision, and rarely is taken down by the first guy. He also almost always gets positive yardage. The only thing he's missing is that elite top end speed, but he's plenty fast enough to bust off long yards. I wish we had resigned him.

Excellent signing for the Vikes. Taylor averaged almost a yard per carry better than J Lewis (while running behind the same putrid line). He's quick, has great vision, and rarely is taken down by the first guy. He also almost always gets positive yardage. The only thing he's missing is that elite top end speed, but he's plenty fast enough to bust off long yards. I wish we had resigned him.
Why weren't the Ravens too interested? Is there something about him they didn't like because it doesn't seem like they made too much of an effort to keep him.

Why weren't the Ravens too interested? Is there something about him they didn't like because it doesn't seem like they made too much of an effort to keep him.

I believe the Ravens think they'll get Lewis back. Also, they favor big backs who run north and south because they do very little pulling with their line. Most of the runs are right up the middle. That said, Taylor has been productive whenever he's played. I can't quite understand their deal with him. He also may not have given them much of a chance since he may still be irritated that they took away his chance to start in Cleveland last year by matching Clevelands offer. I don't know this, I'm just speculating.

Taylor received a four-year deal worth $14.1 million and included guarantees of $5.6 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2364242
Nice signing bonus and nice overall money. Could be like the Droughns trade to Clev from last year.
Funny, but as of now. I would take Taylor and Droughns as my starting RB's and be thrilled with what I would pay.Droughns was part of a nice rotation of guys who won me my WCOFF Satellite last year.

Very nice spot for Taylor to land.

Remember Priest Holmes.

Taylor is the same kind of shifty back.

He could be huge .
I think more probably people should be saying "Remember Brian Westbrook."I mean, that is the offense Childress plans on installing.... his own offense.

Still a solid point. Depending on how he holds up over a full schedule, this would indeed be a hell of a steal.

Press conference transcript

Running Back Chester Taylor

Coach Childress: Next person I want to introduce to you is Chester Taylor. He is a free agent and played for the Baltimore Ravens. He also played at the University of Toledo; he had an outstanding career there. Had a chance to follow him through his college escapades, and I guess my recollection of him is playing Marshall with Chad Pennington and being 23 points down at halftime. I was talking to his college coach yesterday and he said, "We are going to get you the ball anyway we can. I want you to win this game for us." And he did. He had three touchdowns in the second half. Anyway, that catapults him into the NFL. Another recollection was of him running by me on the sidelines in a preseason game and I knew some of their running backs, and I was like, "Who in the (heck) is that guy," as he ran up the sideline, I think we were at the Lincoln. He's a good running back. He has multiple skills, can run between the tackles, can circle the defense, and has very good hands. Although he can catch passes thrown to him too. He can catch the football. So I'm going to introduce Chester Taylor.

Taylor: Hey everyone. I am really excited about this opportunity I have been given. I played behind Jamal Lewis for four years and standing on the sideline was just killing me a little bit but I did what I had to do.

Q: What are your thoughts on becoming a Viking?

A: I mean I enjoyed being with the Ravens. I'm glad they gave me the opportunity, but I felt like I wanted a fresh start so Minnesota is a great place for me right now. I'm just ready to get it started right now.

Q: Describe yourself as a running back?

A: I can catch the ball really well. Run out of the backfield, try to get the defense to mismatch up. I can also run well between the tackles. Like Coach Childress said, I can run outside as well, so I'm kind of versatile in that aspect.

Q: Is this offense good for you?

A: Yes, I believe I can run a good west coast offense. You have mismatches for the defense and try to bring something special to the table for the offense.

Q: Do you envision yourself doing the same as Bryan Westbrook.

A: Yeah I believe I could do the same thing Westbrook did. He caught a lot of passes out of the backfield. He lined up outside as a receiver as well. I can do that. Whatever I can do to make this team win, that's what I'm going to do.

Q: Did you learn from Jamal Lewis?

A: I learned a lot from Jamal, especially the one year he had 2,000 yards. I learned a lot like when to hit the hole, when to be patient. Blocking as well, I'm a much better blocker than when I came into the league, so my blocking got a lot better. I just try to improve myself every year.

Q: Do you feel like you could have gotten 2,000 yards?

A: I could if I had the opportunity. Luckily, I get the opportunity when I come here to see what I can do.

Q: Opportunity the mean reason?

A: Just getting out there and seeing what I can do. Being the go-to guy and being the right man. Going out there and taking it independently on me. I want the ball in my hands when it comes down to it.

Q: Is it nice to know you can move up the charts?

A: Knowing they had the same equal chance is great. With Jamal, I kind of figured they would keep him as a starter. Coming in here I get the opportunity like everybody else to get the starting job.

Q: Ever been in Minnesota?

A: I have never been in Minnesota but I heard it can get cold up here. But I'm used to that I'm from Detroit.

Coach Brad Childress

Q: Did you sign Chester Taylor with the idea he would get significant playing time?

A: Well I think we signed him with that in mind, but you always compete. Obviously I think we'll get his talents on the field. We were looking for a guy that we felt could be a higher-carries back, and I think he can do that.

Q: Does that become a factor in recruiting players like Chester Taylor or other offensive players?

A: For a guy like Chester Taylor, I think it's how many times does he get to put his hands on the football? It's really more about someone that can hand it to him.

Seems like as long as Taylor doesn't blow it, he'll be the primary guy. Based on his words, he sure sounds like he is motivated to take advantage of this opportunity. Also, PPR guys should take note, multiple references here to imply that he could have a lot of catches.

Training camp will be interesting, but for now I an viewing this with guarded optimism as a Taylor owner.

Press conference transcript

Running Back Chester Taylor

Coach Childress: Next person I want to introduce to you is Chester Taylor. He is a free agent and played for the Baltimore Ravens. He also played at the University of Toledo; he had an outstanding career there. Had a chance to follow him through his college escapades, and I guess my recollection of him is playing Marshall with Chad Pennington and being 23 points down at halftime. I was talking to his college coach yesterday and he said, "We are going to get you the ball anyway we can. I want you to win this game for us." And he did. He had three touchdowns in the second half. Anyway, that catapults him into the NFL. Another recollection was of him running by me on the sidelines in a preseason game and I knew some of their running backs, and I was like, "Who in the (heck) is that guy," as he ran up the sideline, I think we were at the Lincoln. He's a good running back. He has multiple skills, can run between the tackles, can circle the defense, and has very good hands. Although he can catch passes thrown to him too. He can catch the football. So I'm going to introduce Chester Taylor.

Taylor: Hey everyone. I am really excited about this opportunity I have been given. I played behind Jamal Lewis for four years and standing on the sideline was just killing me a little bit but I did what I had to do.

Q: What are your thoughts on becoming a Viking?

A: I mean I enjoyed being with the Ravens. I'm glad they gave me the opportunity, but I felt like I wanted a fresh start so Minnesota is a great place for me right now. I'm just ready to get it started right now.

Q: Describe yourself as a running back?

A: I can catch the ball really well. Run out of the backfield, try to get the defense to mismatch up. I can also run well between the tackles. Like Coach Childress said, I can run outside as well, so I'm kind of versatile in that aspect.

Q: Is this offense good for you?

A: Yes, I believe I can run a good west coast offense. You have mismatches for the defense and try to bring something special to the table for the offense.

Q: Do you envision yourself doing the same as Bryan Westbrook.

A: Yeah I believe I could do the same thing Westbrook did. He caught a lot of passes out of the backfield. He lined up outside as a receiver as well. I can do that. Whatever I can do to make this team win, that's what I'm going to do.

Q: Did you learn from Jamal Lewis?

A: I learned a lot from Jamal, especially the one year he had 2,000 yards. I learned a lot like when to hit the hole, when to be patient. Blocking as well, I'm a much better blocker than when I came into the league, so my blocking got a lot better. I just try to improve myself every year.

Q: Do you feel like you could have gotten 2,000 yards?

A: I could if I had the opportunity. Luckily, I get the opportunity when I come here to see what I can do.

Q: Opportunity the mean reason?

A: Just getting out there and seeing what I can do. Being the go-to guy and being the right man. Going out there and taking it independently on me. I want the ball in my hands when it comes down to it.

Q: Is it nice to know you can move up the charts?

A: Knowing they had the same equal chance is great. With Jamal, I kind of figured they would keep him as a starter. Coming in here I get the opportunity like everybody else to get the starting job.

Q: Ever been in Minnesota?

A: I have never been in Minnesota but I heard it can get cold up here. But I'm used to that I'm from Detroit.

Coach Brad Childress

Q: Did you sign Chester Taylor with the idea he would get significant playing time?

A: Well I think we signed him with that in mind, but you always compete. Obviously I think we'll get his talents on the field. We were looking for a guy that we felt could be a higher-carries back, and I think he can do that.

Q: Does that become a factor in recruiting players like Chester Taylor or other offensive players?

A: For a guy like Chester Taylor, I think it's how many times does he get to put his hands on the football? It's really more about someone that can hand it to him.

Seems like as long as Taylor doesn't blow it, he'll be the primary guy. Based on his words, he sure sounds like he is motivated to take advantage of this opportunity. Also, PPR guys should take note, multiple references here to imply that he could have a lot of catches.

Training camp will be interesting, but for now I an viewing this with guarded optimism as a Taylor owner.
Good find :thumbup:

It is a new regime but there is a lot of other RBs there to steal carries. Gotta figure MM/Fason get some action. Glad I dumped MM in my keeper league last year!

It is a new regime but there is a lot of other RBs there to steal carries. Gotta figure MM/Fason get some action. Glad I dumped MM in my keeper league last year!
:goodposting: Chester Taylor, I'm happy I don't have Him.

It is a new regime but there is a lot of other RBs there to steal carries.  Gotta figure MM/Fason get some action.  Glad I dumped MM in my keeper league last year!
Im happy i have him .MM adn Fason are now useless . Taylor is the starter and will be used in the running game in the passing game, i think he might become kind of a mix of Westbrook , Faulk and Holmes .

So MM who has been worthless aniways is now kaput .

I see 1300 rush yards , 800 receiving yards and 10 TD's for Taylor.

It is a new regime but there is a lot of other RBs there to steal carries.  Gotta figure MM/Fason get some action.  Glad I dumped MM in my keeper league last year!
Chester Taylor, I'm happy I have you burried on my bench as RB#5. :D

Im happy i have him .MM adn Fason are now useless . Taylor is the starter and will be used in the running game in the passing game, i think he might become kind of a mix of Westbrook , Faulk and Holmes .

He won't come close to that. :no:

Taylor isn't an established feature back, but he's only 26 and has fresh legs, never having carried the ball more than 160 times in an NFL season. As Jamal Lewis' primary backup, Taylor never has rushed for more than 714 yards in a season, but he has a career average of 4.3 yards per carry.

"The last [free agent] to come out of Baltimore as a backup [running back] was Priest Holmes," Foley said. "I'm not saying he's Priest Holmes, but I'm sure he had some of [proving himself] in the back of his mind. That was a selling point for us."

Woo hoo, as a Chester Taylor owner, I like this comparison. :excited: The only question I have now is who is gonna be their starting QB?

Last edited by a moderator:
Taylor isn't an established feature back, but he's only 26 and has fresh legs, never having carried the ball more than 160 times in an NFL season. As Jamal Lewis' primary backup, Taylor never has rushed for more than 714 yards in a season, but he has a career average of 4.3 yards per carry.

"The last [free agent] to come out of Baltimore as a backup [running back] was Priest Holmes," Foley said. "I'm not saying he's Priest Holmes, but I'm sure he had some of [proving himself] in the back of his mind. That was a selling point for us."

Woo hoo, as a Chester Taylor owner, I like this comparison. :excited:
"The last [free agent] to come out of Baltimore as a backup [running back] was Priest Holmes," Foley said. "I'm not saying he's Priest Holmes, but I'm sure he had some of [proving himself] in the back of his mind. That was a selling point for us."1 out of 2 isn't bad, I'll take that every time. :yes:

Holmes He's not. :no:

I don't think those projections are a stretch at all. Especially if the Vikings can land Hutchinson.

I don't think those projections are a stretch at all. Especially if the Vikings can land Hutchinson.
No Wr's and no Qb. :no: :no:

Vikings | Taylor the man at running back?Sun, 12 Mar 2006 05:17:45 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress sees newly signed RB Chester Taylor as a guy who can be his feature back. He perhaps could touch the ball "20 to 30 times" a game, according to Childress. "Chester is a complete running back, who is thrilled to be featured in a West Coast attack," Taylor's agent, Ken Sarnoff, said.

If this guy touches the ball 20 to 30 times a game he will put in easily to 10 numbers.

Um, how many 2000+ yard seasons do we see out of RB's each year? I'd temper those projections considerably.However, if Taylor gets 60% of the RB stats in MINN from last year, he would be a Top 10 RB in PPR systems.....I know with coaching and personnel changes its a bit of a reach, but it is a starting point to factor in his true projections.

Vikings | Taylor the man at running back?Sun, 12 Mar 2006 05:17:45 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress sees newly signed RB Chester Taylor as a guy who can be his feature back. He perhaps could touch the ball "20 to 30 times" a game, according to Childress. "Chester is a complete running back, who is thrilled to be featured in a West Coast attack," Taylor's agent, Ken Sarnoff, said.

If this guy touches the ball 20 to 30 times a game he will put in easily to 10 numbers.
Ok Ok your right.I thought we were talking about Fred Taylor. :lmao: :popcorn:

Exactly!! What else are they going to do?

Exactly!! What else are they going to do?
Punt. :rolleyes: 3 and out. :bye:

Users who are viewing this thread