What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Christmas Tree Dispute, Settle This Argument. (1 Viewer)

Real tree or fake tree?

I want a fake one. I don't want tree sap all over my new car, don't want to water the thing, have to trash it, etc.

Real tree or fake tree?

I want a fake one. I don't want tree sap all over my new car, don't want to water the thing, have to trash it, etc.
I will say, one of my favorite things is to burn a dried out Christmas tree in my firepit in the early Spring. That thing burns remarkably fast and hot for like 1 minute of glory.

On a completely unrelated note, I may be a pyromanic.

We have a burning of the trees in my neighborhood on the equinox in March. Huge bonfire where folks get to launch their tree into the fire and watch that thing burn. People obviously don't keep their trees up that long, but what this burning does reinforce is just how damn flammable dried trees are. When tossed in the fire, flames immediately shoot 20 feet plus into the air. It is a good reminder to get those trees out of your house as soon after Christmas as possible

Our ritual is that the tree goes up first thing on the Friday morning the day after Thanksgiving. Tree stood up, then the entire rest of the house (mantle, wall decorations, etc) get put up, lights on outside of house, outdoor lit up reindeer etc. go up, and the tree gets decorated last but it all happens within the weekend after Thanksgiving. Then it all comes down the first Saturday of the New Year, as long as it's not New Years day because that day is sacred for college football.

This question was relevant to a fake tree, we made the switch when we moved out of a city apartment and into a house with high ceilings.

I do miss the smell of a real tree, but a nice fake tree appearance is relatively comparable to a real one, imo of course.

Thanks for the replies, putting mine up next weekend.

i'm seeing christmas lights up already. that's cray cray.
I usually put mine up late October/Early November while it is still decent out temp wise (Iowa) but they don't get turned on until the day after Thanksgiving. Wife normally puts up the decorations Weekend after Thanksgiving unless she has to work. Kids are coming weekend after this year instead of Thanksgiving so she informed me that decorations will be going up week before. She usually takes them down around New Years depending on when she has to work. She is a Food service director at a University so work time can vary greatly.

This reminds me, that I will conveniently forget how adamant I was a year ago this December that "I'll never buy another live tree again".

For like the 20th year in a row.

We always put ours up the weekend at after thanksgiving (day will vary slightly depending on the weather, so outdoor stuff on whatever the nicer day is and indoor another day)

Usually take down the first weekend after New Year’s Day.

With the advent (see what I did there) of programmable LEDs, many of my neighbours are leaving their lights up year-round. And they just program them differently for xmas, halloween, 4Jul, etc.

I'm cool with that.

We typically put it up on the first or second weekend of December and almost always take it down New Years Day (quite hungover).

i just always figured to let whoever do whatever with christmas trees man it aint hurtin me none take that to the bank brochachos

Give thanksgiving some respect. You can put it up anytime after Thanksgiving. I'm not picky when it comes down. Sometime in January.

Tree goes up after Thanksgiving, stays up until Epiphany at the earliest, Baptism of the Lord at the latest (so first or second week of January).

Growing up my old man would put up the tree shortly after Thanksgiving and would go down within a few days after Christmas. "All them damn lights are running up my electric bill!" he would always say.

My wife loves Christmas. More than me, more than the kids. She seems to shop for Christmas ALL YEAR LONG. Some crap will show up from Amazon and I'll ask her why the hell she needed to buy whatever is in the box. Her answer usually is "Christmas". When Christmas rolls around, there is that thing that was in the box being opened by one of the grandkids or niece or nephew or random kid from down the street she decided to buy for... Let's just say our trees start going up earlier and earlier. All are pre-lit fake trees. I'm lazy, so if I can get out of stringing lights, I'll take it.

Ours went up on 11/12 this year. We have a 7' tree in our downstairs family room, 9' tree in our upstairs family room, 3 - 3' trees for each of the grandkids and my nephew who is living with us at the moment. They are 5 , 4 and 3 years old. She has a ceramic tree she got from her Grandmother that she cherishes. That is up as well.

We will take them probably on 12/30.

She doesn't question me on my bourbons, I don't question her on Christmas. We have a mutual understanding here and it seems to work.

Tree goes up after Thanksgiving, stays up until Epiphany at the earliest, Baptism of the Lord at the latest (so first or second week of January).
What does the tree have to do with those dates? Serious question from a heathen
Well, if it were up to me the tree wouldn't be lit until Christmas Eve, but my wife would never go for that.

Christmas liturgical season (Roman Catholic tradition) lasts from Christmas Eve until the Baptism of the Lord (first Sunday following Epiphany, which is on January 6th each year).

Users who are viewing this thread