What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CNN: Questions As To Whether Jussie Smollett Faked Attack (2 Viewers)

The most alarming thing to me about this whole thing is just how shady chicago politicians are to this day.

I mean an article had already printed about how the DA was actually having lots of conversations with a member of jussie's family. Had texts to prove that they were setting up phone calls.  Even after the police had stopped viewing Jussie as a victim. You would think that this would make the DA's office far less likely to give favoritism to Jussie.

Nope. Not in chicago! They just did it anyway. 

So it sounds like this isn't going to go away as easily as thought.  City of Chicago thinking about suing him.  FBI and DOJ looking into his case AND the DA.  DA's office scrambling to find other examples to show where they did the same thing for other criminals since they claimed they do this all of the time.  Local newspaper decided to also look into similar cases and found that almost every one of those similar cases went to court and ended with the person pleading guilty and having it on their permanent record.

Crazy part is that everyone, including the prosecutors who dropped the case, all said they could have easily won the case with the evidence they had.  Yet all of Hollywood (at least a certain shade of it) have gone on Twitter to claim his innocence and that the police lied and the truth is now out there.  I mean, they threw two other black men under the bus.  Two other co-workers.  He lied and blamed two black men.  And people are hailing him as a hero.  Am I missing something?  :confused:

They give a guy a break and then his response is that he is weighing his options?   His only option was to appologize and be humble.  The tough guy act like he was wronged?  Too bad the m-word is not permitted, because that move was not smart.   Are there really people out there who believe this was still a hate crime?  He deserves to have the book thrown at him.  

Last edited by a moderator:
They give a guy a break and then his response is that he is weighing his options?   His only option was to appologize and be humble.  The tough guy act like he was wronged?  Too bad the m-word is not permitted, because that move was not smart.   Are there really people out there who believe this was still a hate crime?  He deserves to have the book thrown at him.  
Milksop?  Mollycoddle?  

He deserves to have the book thrown at him.  
Prior to the other day, everybody I can think of was for exactly that. This guy had no defenders on TV or anywhere else. Liberal commentators who had previously supported him were if anything angrier than conservatives: Don Lemon is a prime example. 

Thats part of the reason why it’s difficult for me to buy the “his influence got him off” line. What influence? This wasn’t OJ, to whom many black people rallied around for a time. This guy was completely isolated, hated by just about everyone, defended by nobody. Nobody was going to complain if this guy went to jail. 

I still think there’s more to this story that we just don’t know. 

Prior to the other day, everybody I can think of was for exactly that. This guy had no defenders on TV or anywhere else. Liberal commentators who had previously supported him were if anything angrier than conservatives: Don Lemon is a prime example. 

Thats part of the reason why it’s difficult for me to buy the “his influence got him off” line. What influence? This wasn’t OJ, to whom many black people rallied around for a time. This guy was completely isolated, hated by just about everyone, defended by nobody. Nobody was going to complain if this guy went to jail. 

You must not have been following.  He's had a LARGE group of influential and famous people who have stuck by his side and called the cops dirty and racists.  Calling for everyone to wait until justice is served.  They have been in full celebration since the news was announced the other day.

You must not have been following.  He's had a LARGE group of influential and famous people who have stuck by his side and called the cops dirty and racists.  Calling for everyone to wait until justice is served.  They have been in full celebration since the news was announced the other day.
What influential and famous people? Who has been celebrating? 

Influence doesnt have to be backed by public votes tim. His family supported him throughout. 

His family is connected to powerful chicago people. There is no need for there to be more. 

The DA was personally talking on the phone with a family member on several occasions even AFTER it was believed by police to be phony and was lobbying to get the police to give up their case and turn it over to the fbi. 

:sigh:  I knew it was just a matter of time...

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 2h2 hours ago

FBI & DOJ to review the outrageous Jussie Smollett case in Chicago. It is an embarrassment to our Nation!

I was ok with letting him off until he threatened to sue. 

Influence doesnt have to be backed by public votes tim. His family supported him throughout. 

His family is connected to powerful chicago people. There is no need for there to be more. 

The DA was personally talking on the phone with a family member on several occasions even AFTER it was believed by police to be phony and was lobbying to get the police to give up their case and turn it over to the fbi. 
They are? What kind of power and influence do they have exactly? 

The chief of police went on tv and, watched by millions of people, publicly charged Smollett with faking a hate crime. And you’re telling me that after that happened, the Smollett family has enough private influence to quash the charges? I really have a lot of trouble believing this. 

FBI & DOJ to review the outrageous Jussie Smollett case in Chicago. It is an embarrassment to our Nation!
Is your issue with him tweeting about it, or having the doj investigate? 

I dint think he should tweet it, but absolutely it should be investigated. 

And Smollett’s parents are a middle class couple  from Santa Rosa Ca. What possible influence do they have with the city of Chicago? 

They are? What kind of power and influence do they have exactly? 

The chief of police went on tv and, watched by millions of people, publicly charged Smollett with faking a hate crime. And you’re telling me that after that happened, the Smollett family has enough private influence to quash the charges? I really have a lot of trouble believing this. 
Why is it hard to believe? There are tons of pictures out there of the smolletts with lots of powerful people. Michelle Obama's former chief of staff reached out to Kim Foxx and put her in touch with a family member. Instead of brushing family member off and saying i cant lobby the police superintendent on your behalf she did in fact lobby the police superintendent. 

That alone tells you all you need to know. If they werent connected, it would have been an auto no. 

Every single cast member of Empire.  Questlove.  Seriously, I'm not your Google.  These aren't hidden things.  They are in pretty much every article on the web right now.
I can’t thibk of a single cast member who defended Smollett after the police chief’s statement. I can’t name ANY prominent person who did so. A few people who had known him said they were shocked or surprised, and his sister quietly tweeted that she stood by him, but that’s far different from your claim that a large number of celebrities defended him and called the police racist and are now celebrating. 

YOU made the claim; YOU should provide examples of it. I can’t. And now you’re acting awfully defensive. 

Why is it hard to believe? There are tons of pictures out there of the smolletts with lots of powerful people. Michelle Obama's former chief of staff reached out to Kim Foxx and put her in touch with a family member. Instead of brushing family member off and saying i cant lobby the police superintendent on your behalf she did in fact lobby the police superintendent. 

That alone tells you all you need to know. If they werent connected, it would have been an auto no. 
Who is Michelle Obama’s former chief of staff? When did this connection happen? And what evidence do you have that Kim Foxx ordered this prosecution quashed? 

I can’t thibk of a single cast member who defended Smollett after the police chief’s statement. I can’t name ANY prominent person who did so. A few people who had known him said they were shocked or surprised, and his sister quietly tweeted that she stood by him, but that’s far different from your claim that a large number of celebrities defended him and called the police racist and are now celebrating. 

YOU made the claim; YOU should provide examples of it. I can’t. And now you’re acting awfully defensive. 
When anyone refuses to provide a link after making a claim and says I'm not your Google when challenged on it, you know they are either making up stuff, or don't know what they are talking about.

Does that mean pardons for convicted criminals close to the president are off the table?

Who is Michelle Obama’s former chief of staff? When did this connection happen? And what evidence do you have that Kim Foxx ordered this prosecution quashed? 
You are in here saying there has to be stuff we dont know, but obviously there is a lot already you dont know. The article with the texts and the information you are asking me for has been posted in this thread three times. 

Terrence howard- 

"Sorry you feel that way but that’s the only Jussie I know. The Jussie I know could never even conceive of something so unconscious and ugly.”

Quote is from february after he was charged. 

Terrence howard- 

"Sorry you feel that way but that’s the only Jussie I know. The Jussie I know could never even conceive of something so unconscious and ugly.”

Quote is from february after he was charged. 
The Iron Shiek wrote that there was a LARGE (his emphasis) number of celebrities who called the police racist and celebrated the dropping of all charges. This  was the claim I asked him to back up.   Did Howard do either of these? If not, what celebrity did? I’m especially interested in the “police are racist” part. 

You are in here saying there has to be stuff we dont know, but obviously there is a lot already you dont know. The article with the texts and the information you are asking me for has been posted in this thread three times. 
OK i found it: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3294546002

Really doesn’t sound like much. But apparently Fox News has run with it in order to imply that Michelle got Smollett off. I’m stunned they would do such a thing. 

Please explain how this “influence” as described in the article got the prosecutors to drop their charges. 

What do you mean :sigh:?

Trump should be going after him.

What do you mean :sigh:?

Trump should be going after him.
POTUS should NEVER weigh on any matter that might involve a future prosecution, as that might influence a potential jury. Presidents have avoided doing that since Nixon declared that Charles Manson was guilty (which he was, but even the most heinous defendants should get a fair trial).

Trump has not followed this decades long precedent and once again could not resist trying to put his thumb on the scale of justice to influence a future outcome in a criminal matter. Hence the sigh.

OK i found it: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3294546002

Really doesn’t sound like much. But apparently Fox News has run with it in order to imply that Michelle got Smollett off. I’m stunned they would do such a thing. 

Please explain how this “influence” as described in the article got the prosecutors to drop their charges. 
I posted about foxx recusing herself when it happened and then posted the follow up story about the texts prior to jussie being let off. 

The texts and phone calls and subsequent efforts prove there is influence. That is undeniable. DA's dont lobby police superintendents to relinquish cases on behalf of complete strangers just because. Kim Foxx lying about recusing herself in addition to that is enough for me when combined with the fact that the DA's office, the police, and the mayor all claim there was nothing wrong with the evidence and the guy got off scot free.

ETA also police already asked for an investigation into kim foxx's handling of this PRIOR to him being let off.

Seriously?  Jussie lied about his supporters trying to drum up some outrage againts Trump.   Trump rightly should be furious.  Why is this hard for you to understand?
Yes...seriously.  I don't think any POTUS should be commenting on criminal cases no matter what "outrage" was used.

Trump should shut his mouth and be POTUS rather than this (just as Obama should not have commented as much on several cases and was blasted by the right for doing so).

Why is that hard for you to understand.

Its an ongoing criminal case...the weight of the President determining guilt or innocence should never come into play.

Seriously?  Jussie lied about his supporters trying to drum up some outrage againts Trump.   Trump rightly should be furious.  Why is this hard for you to understand?
He did? I don't recall Smollett saying that. Do you have a link as I can't find it a cursory Google search?

That is Every single cast member of Empire like you claimed? Seems like you were off a few on your count.
It's several.  Tim said he saw no one.  Look at that article and look at the black and white photo in it.  Celebrities have been posting that all over Twitter.  You guys said NO ONE.  I showed you a bunch.  Now you're trying to say I was wrong because not EVERY cast member is supporting him??  

Now I remember why I hate this place.

POTUS should NEVER weigh on any matter that might involve a future prosecution, as that might influence a potential jury. Presidents have avoided doing that since Nixon declared that Charles Manson was guilty (which he was, but even the most heinous defendants should get a fair trial).

Trump has not followed this decades long precedent and once again could not resist trying to put his thumb on the scale of justice to influence a future outcome in a criminal matter. Hence the sigh.
I totally agree..Obama would never weigh in on cases or police matters.

It's several.  Tim said he saw no one.  Look at that article and look at the black and white photo in it.  Celebrities have been posting that all over Twitter.  You guys said NO ONE.  I showed you a bunch.  Now you're trying to say I was wrong because not EVERY cast member is supporting him??  

Now I remember why I hate this place.
Because people have the audacity to ask you to back up sweeping claims or generalizatioins you make without providing any proof or links? That is indeed beyond the pale. 

Users who are viewing this thread