What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CNN: Questions As To Whether Jussie Smollett Faked Attack (1 Viewer)

What I am wondering, though, is what would have happened if the CPD would have told Tina Tchen to pound sand? Or is it that since Foxx dropped charges (right?), the CPD had no choice but to stop investigating?

What I am wondering, though, is what would have happened if the CPD would have told Tina Tchen to pound sand? Or is it that since Foxx dropped charges (right?), the CPD had no choice but to stop investigating?
Prosecutors decide who gets prosecuted. I guess investigate who you want, but there will never be charges. 

Mayor Emmanuel and CPD Police chief shredding the prosecutor now.

Emmanuel said the grand jury came up with these charges and they should not been dismissed for personal gain. Also that now hate crimes and anti gay crimes will be hard to believe going forward.  Sad day for the gay community. 

What a steaming hot mess in Chicago right now.

Emmanuel said the grand jury came up with these charges and they should not been dismissed for personal gain. Also that now hate crimes and anti gay crimes will be hard to believe going forward.  Sad day for the gay community. 

They are destroying the prosecutor and Smollett as they should. What an embarrassment for Chicago and Smollett.  :lmao:

Prosecutors decide who gets prosecuted. I guess investigate who you want, but there will never be charges. 
... Kim Foxx is not really accountable to anyone, is she?

Hypothetically ... I wonder if the FBI can just reach down and investigate any and all aspects of the case they care to? Though, if the right political threads are pulled, I'm sure the FBI can be warned off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Haven’t followed this at all it’s an amazingly stupid story to me. Tabloid fodder.
In a sense, it doesn't really matter anyway. Smolett may skate ... but his rep is still mud. Not only that, the damage he did to people with real grievances can't be walked back.

They are destroying the prosecutor and Smollett as they should. What an embarrassment for Chicago and Smollett.  :lmao:
Just a very bad look for future hate crimes against blacks and the gay community. Like it is some kind of joke.

In a sense, it doesn't really matter anyway. Smolett may skate ... but his rep is still mud. Not only that, the damage he did to people with real grievances can't be walked back.
Not true at all.  He's a hero now.  Fox even said they are happy with the outcome.  He got exactly what he wanted.  He's more famous than ever and his core base love him more than before the "attack."  

What's crazy is, he essentially threw the two Nigerian guys under the bus.  It sounds like his lawyer is still maintaining they attacked him without his knowledge.  He pretty much threw everyone under the bus in his quest to achieve more fame.  And, sadly, it worked for him.  

Not true at all.  He's a hero now.  Fox even said they are happy with the outcome.  He got exactly what he wanted.  He's more famous than ever and his core base love him more than before the "attack."  

What's crazy is, he essentially threw the two Nigerian guys under the bus.  It sounds like his lawyer is still maintaining they attacked him without his knowledge.  He pretty much threw everyone under the bus in his quest to achieve more fame.  And, sadly, it worked for him.  
Had to check which thread I was in. Any other thread in this forum I would have just had to clarify who the second Nigerian guy is. 

Celebrities now have core bases?

All your core bases belong to us?

lets be honest

staging a beating for yourself isn't a world crushing crime - using it for political advantage and personal gain is low life no doubt ..... and I personally think prosecutes should have pursued SOMETHING because now, everyone who wants to do similar can look to Smollett and say hey, he did it and no charges were pursued.

its a big setback for anyone who believes false accusations are a big deal 

From DA's office.

"We stand behind the investigation, we stand behind the decision to charge him and we stand behind the charges in the case. The mere fact that it was disposed of in an alternative manner does not mean that there were any problems or infirmities in the case or the evidence."
Here's the thing -- we work to prioritize violent crime and the drivers of violent crime. Public safety is our number one priority. I don't see Jussie Smollett as a threat to public safety."

... Kim Foxx is not really accountable to anyone, is she?

Hypothetically ... I wonder if the FBI can just reach down and investigate any and all aspects of the case they care to? Though, if the right political threads are pulled, I'm sure the FBI can be warned off.
So I don't know anything about this story, but this article just came across my twitter feed as a response to some "Foxx/Soros connection?" conservative nutjob and I thought maybe it would be relevant here:

Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx recuses herself from Smollett case

From DA's office.
All true, but the unconventional manner in which this was done, looks kind of screwy.

normally you wapuld make a deal and plead guilty to something and agree to the fine and community service 

to have a recused DA work out a side deal for a fine and community service with no judicial oversight and no plea and then sealing the case looks strange.

Something is wrong with this story, obviously. There’s a disconnect, a vital piece of the puzzle that we’re missing here. I figure eventually it will come out. 

will Jussie's lawyers demand that certain media outlets apologize to him?  will he sue some of them for hundreds of millions of dollars?  has he tweeted how a lot of people did evil and really horrible things against him (we know who they are)?  so many questions

for the record, I still believe there's a chance he staged this whole thing even though he wasn't prosecuted.  do I have JSDS?

Something is wrong with this story, obviously. There’s a disconnect, a vital piece of the puzzle that we’re missing here. I figure eventually it will come out. 
What do you think we are missing?

He did it. 

He used connections to get out of it.

End of story.  I don't think its any more complicated than that.  He is not the first, nor the last, to use connections to get out of a legal jam.

Like you don't have 50 threads you can turd bomb. 
it certainly is an interesting juxtaposition seeing the reactions to Barr's summary and now this thing with Smollett.  the fact is people who have a decent shot at being guilty of crimes aren't prosecuted all the time.  yet here we have two situations where thus far people have been suspected and accused, but not charged.  and read the reactions, its amusing.  

just like Smollett having his charges dropped does not mean his not guilty of a crime, and just as Barr's summary doesn't mean Trump isn't guilty of a crime.  and for the last 2 days we've had people running around demanding apologies and proclaiming total exoneration for only one of those people.  all I ask is that people be consistent. 

it certainly is an interesting juxtaposition seeing the reactions to Barr's summary and now this thing with Smollett.  the fact is people who have a decent shot at being guilty of crimes aren't prosecuted all the time.  yet here we have two situations where thus far people have been suspected and accused, but not charged.  and read the reactions, its amusing.  

just like Smollett having his charges dropped does not mean his not guilty of a crime, and just as Barr's summary doesn't mean Trump isn't guilty of a crime.  and for the last 2 days we've had people running around demanding apologies and proclaiming total exoneration for only one of those people.  all I ask is that people be consistent. 
There is a huge difference here

Prosecutors for Smollett are maintaining that he is 100% guilty and they are maintaining that they could prove it in a court of law - completely the opposite of what Mueller, Rosenstein and Barr are saying.

I was listening to this as well, and Rahm was right on the money to his credit. But I was cracking up becuase it was Rahm and his Democrat buddies who created the conditions for something this ridiculous to happen. 

Hooray for a person of color benefiting from privilege I guess. Hey, don't @ me, it's a step. Not necessarily a "just" step in terms or right and wrong but it's a step.

Still a long ways from people of all races, genders, religions, status, and orientations being treated equally but we can scratch fame and fortune off the list of places where there's different treatment for non-whites. Woohoo!

... writing this, do you essentially mean that the Smolett affair was what everything though it was a week ago? Just that Foxx, for some reason, was unable to carry out her duties?
I think it became a political issue for Foxx and she punted to the FBI.

All true, but the unconventional manner in which this was done, looks kind of screwy.

normally you wapuld make a deal and plead guilty to something and agree to the fine and community service 

to have a recused DA work out a side deal for a fine and community service with no judicial oversight and no plea and then sealing the case looks strange.
It doesn’t look strange.  It looks corrupt.  The hearing this morning wasn’t even scheduled.  She unilaterally just decided to pull the plug on the whole thing and walk away.

So it appears the Chicago PD determined that they had insufficient evidence to prosecute Mr. Smolett with conspiracy or coordination?

I have to say, that doesn’t sound like much of a vindication.
Not at all.  They say they have enough evidence to prosecute, they just don’t think it’s in anyone’s interest to do so.  They have been quite clear that they believe he did what he was charged with.

Not at all.  They say they have enough evidence to prosecute, they just don’t think it’s in anyone’s interest to do so.  They have been quite clear that they believe he did what he was charged with.
I think I had only seen the “breaking news!” bits when I posted.  That position appears to have been subsequently clarified.  

Wow, lots of questions here:

How does this case get sealed?  Obviously nowhere near the seriousness, but it smacks of the same treatment Epstein got with his case.

Do the feds pick this up with a mail fraud case?  He did send himself a threatening letter through the US Mail.

Does Smollett now have an avenue for a big civil rights case against the city?  With these charges dropped I'm wondering if the city has just opened itself up to a big lawsuit.

Users who are viewing this thread