What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CNN: Questions As To Whether Jussie Smollett Faked Attack (2 Viewers)

As far-fetched as it may seem, perhaps we should at least consider the slight possibility that the Chicago Police Department and conservative media- both of which are usually beyond reproach- unfairly maligned a gay black man.
Yeah. Sounds logical. Jussie is just such a great dude he decided to forfeit his bond just to be nice to chicago. 

Looks like CPD is going to request the Feds look into Kim Foxx and how she interferred with the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Link

In a stunning reversal, Cook County prosecutors on Tuesday dropped all charges against "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett on disorderly conduct charges for allegedly staging a phony attack and claiming he was the victim of a hate crime.

“We believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” a prosecutor said in announcing the dismissal of all 16 counts.
What an awful situation.

CBS News‏Verified account @CBSNews 3m3 minutes ago

Attorney for Jussie Smollett:

"I have no idea what occurred in this case and why it occurred. I can just say that things seemed to spiral somewhat out of control" https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/jussie-smollett-in-court-today-emergency-court-appearance-live-updates-2019-03-26/ …

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1110574649853775873

:(

Craig Melvin‏ @craigmelvin 10m10 minutes ago

Two reputations damaged here. Smollett and the Chicago PD.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna987446#click=https://t.co/jrqpKXSMkJ …

TOTAL EXONERATION!

(Too soon?)
It’s just being handed to the FBI.  They have been involved in the case and with the CPD since the beginning.  Looks like Foxx wanted out for political reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
  If I had connected friends I would do anything I could to get out of jail time too. Pays to know people.
Definitely.  Foxx is really the one that deserves criticism.  I don’t know what the FBI will decide,  but it’s clear she never stopped interfering with the CPD investigation on behalf of the Smollett family.

Looks like CPD is going to request the Feds look into Kim Foxx and how she interferred with the case.
I'll be interested to see how this all happened without Jussie Smolett's foreknowledge. Smolett has never moved off of his original story, correct?

Is the angle now that Kim Foxx concocted everything and hired the two trainers to pull off the attack unbeknownst to Smolett? Or were all parties involved in the planning, etc. -- Foxx, Smolett, the trainers, etc.? Or something else altogether?

It’s just being handed to the FBI.  They have been involved in the case and with the CPD since the beginning.  Looks like Foxx wanted out for political reasons.
... writing this, do you essentially mean that the Smolett affair was what everything though it was a week ago? Just that Foxx, for some reason, was unable to carry out her duties?

I'll be interested to see how this all happened without Jussie Smolett's foreknowledge. Smolett has never moved off of his original story, correct?

Is the angle now that Kim Foxx concocted everything and hired the two trainers to pull off the attack unbeknownst to Smolett? Or were all parties involved in the planning, etc. -- Foxx, Smolett, the trainers, etc.? Or something else altogether?
Yes.

CNN Breaking News‏ @cnnbrk 13m13 minutes ago

Jussie Smollett says after all charges against him are dropped in Chicago,

"I have been truthful and consistent on every level since day one."

Follow live updates: https://cnn.it/2FvmB2a

If I had connected friends I would do anything I could to get out of jail time too. Pays to know people.
... does this mean ... "people who know people" reached out to Foxx on Smolett's behalf to get her to purposefully and willfully sully the case somehow so that it couldn't be prosecuted locally? Having a helluva time following the bouncing ball here.

The Hill‏ @thehill 7m7 minutes ago

Jussie Smollett:

"I want to thank my family, my friends, the incredible people of Chicago and all over the country and the world who have prayed for me, who have supported me."

http://hill.cm/rJWrum8

Yes.

CNN Breaking News‏ @cnnbrk 13m13 minutes ago

Jussie Smollett says after all charges against him are dropped in Chicago,

"I have been truthful and consistent on every level since day one."

Follow live updates: https://cnn.it/2FvmB2a
Still think -- at this moment with the facts as I understand them -- that some damn thing happened. The question is "What happened -- and who set it up?"

He paid 10% of the amount, not the full amount.  Which probably means a bondsman. He was going to have to forfeit that regardless.  
So you are saying that because Jussie forfeited it to the city the bondsman gets screwed? 

Don't think that's how it works. Not even in chicago. 

So you are saying that because Jussie forfeited it to the city the bondsman gets screwed? 

Don't think that's how it works. Not even in chicago. 
No, I’m saying he forefeited the 10% to whomever (bondsman or city) he paid it to.  Makes sense the city of Chicago would act as its own bondsman. Seems like the kind of thing they’d do. 

So it appears the Chicago PD determined that they had insufficient evidence to prosecute Mr. Smollet with conspiracy or coordination?

I have to say, that doesn’t sound like much of a vindication.
Nope. He is totally innocent...just ask all of those very consistent posters on here.  

No, I’m saying he forefeited the 10% to whomever (bondsman or city) he paid it to.  Makes sense the city of Chicago would act as its own bondsman. Seems like the kind of thing they’d do. 
After some quick reading there are no bail bondsmen in chicago and he would not forfeit the 10k anyway. He would get it back(minus some fees). 

So he voluntarily, as stated, by DA and Jussie's attorney surrendered the 10k. 

How do you recuse yourself and then get the charges dropped and the case sealed?  How does that work?

After some quick reading there are no bail bondsmen in chicago and he would not forfeit the 10k anyway. He would get it back(minus some fees). 

So he voluntarily, as stated, by DA and Jussie's attorney surrendered the 10k. 
Ah, hadn’t seen that.  Well, good for them.  Hopefully it throws the department a pizza party. 

Still think -- at this moment with the facts as I understand them -- that some damn thing happened. The question is "What happened -- and who set it up?"
Rumors are that someone in his circle has connections to Michelle Obama and that she made a phone call.

Reports are that the DA is saying that he would have only received community service and that he has already served his community service. What and when seems to be confusing since it doesn't appear to have happened after the charges were brought.

We're told the State's Attorney, Kim Foxx, told Chicago police she was dropping the case because Jussie would have only gotten community service if convicted and she said he has already performed community service so there is no point in prosecuting him. We could not find any record of Smollett doing community service.

http://m.tmz.com/#!2019/03/26/jussie-smollettt-plea-bargain-charges-dropped-dismissed/

Translation: His connections and celebrity paid off and the prosecutors made up a BS excuse to drop the charges.

Per TMZ

”We're told the State's Attorney, Kim Foxx, told Chicago police she was dropping the case because Jussie would have only gotten community service if convicted and she said he has already performed community service so there is no point in prosecuting him. We could not find any record of Smollett doing community service.

We're told Chicago police are "furious" and feel something untoward is going on with Kim Foxx.”

That kind of throws cold water on the vindication talk

Rumors are that someone in his circle has connections to Michelle Obama and that she made a phone call.

Reports are that the DA is saying that he would have only received community service and that he has already served his community service. What and when seems to be confusing since it doesn't appear to have happened after the charges were brought.

http://m.tmz.com/#!2019/03/26/jussie-smollettt-plea-bargain-charges-dropped-dismissed/

Translation: His connections and celebrity paid off and the prosecutors made up a BS excuse to drop the charges.
I have a hard time believing Michelle Obama is the lynchpin here.  

Per TMZ

”We're told the State's Attorney, Kim Foxx, told Chicago police she was dropping the case because Jussie would have only gotten community service if convicted and she said he has already performed community service so there is no point in prosecuting him. We could not find any record of Smollett doing community service.

We're told Chicago police are "furious" and feel something untoward is going on with Kim Foxx.”

That kind of throws cold water on the vindication talk
The only vindication talk I’m aware of is from Jussie and his team. 

I have a hard time believing Michelle Obama is the lynchpin here.  

Chicago Sun Times reports that it's Tina Tchen, Michelle Obama's former chief of staff:

Just days after Jussie Smollett told Chicago police he had fought off a pair of attackers who targeted him in an apparent hate crime, Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx tried to persuade Police Supt. Eddie Johnson to turn the investigation over to the FBI.

Foxx’s call to Johnson came after an influential supporter of the “Empire” actor reached out to Foxx personally: Tina Tchen, a Chicago attorney and former chief of staff for former First Lady Michelle Obama, according to emails and text messages provided by Foxx to the Chicago Sun-Times in response to a public records request
Synopsis from another board:

Smolett's family is influential in politics. One of their friends is Tina Tchen, who was the chief of staff to Ms Obama. 
Ms Tchen asked Kim Foxx to ask the FBI to take over the case because the family had concerns with how the police department was handling it. When news of this got out, Mr Graham wrote the Justice Department that the police were doing a fine job and the FBI was not needed.
In short: Smolett, IMHO, absolutely did what he was accused of. However, he was able to avail himself of essentially the "frat guy with connections" defense. Whether or not that's fair game is left as an exercise for the reader.

Users who are viewing this thread