What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CNN: Questions As To Whether Jussie Smollett Faked Attack (1 Viewer)

If he doesn’t confess he’ll definitely get jail time. This is a vast waste of Police and judicial resources, they’re pissed. Even worse when he’s in jail they’ll have to use even more resources to protect him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll say he gets a lite sentence.
Not after he was overcharged with 16 felony counts. I agree with his attorney that this is  "prosecutorial overkill."

Prosecutors are trying to make an example of him and won't recommend nor will settle in a plea bargain for a light sentence.

Not after he was overcharged with 16 felony counts. I agree with his attorney that this is  "prosecutorial overkill."

Prosecutors are trying to make an example of him and won't recommend nor will settle in a plea bargain for a light sentence.
I hope they send a message that faking hate crimes will not be tolerated.  I would think every victim of a hate crime would be hoping for that.

True. In that regard, race will play a huge role.  Not sure when it will be announced, but if they plan on giving him a lenthy sentence, they better distance it as far away from the Manafort sentence as they possibly can. There will be rioting in the streets.  

I hope they send a message that faking hate crimes will not be tolerated.  I would think every victim of a hate crime would be hoping for that.
No one is really saying he should get off with a slap on the wrist and there should be some jail time, but a potential 48 years for falsifying a hate crime is a bit much.

Exactly. Weird all the guys that wanted to make an example out of Manafort have their panties in a bunch over this guy getting the book thrown at him. 

No one is really saying he should get off with a slap on the wrist and there should be some jail time, but a potential 48 years for falsifying a hate crime is a bit much.
I agree..6-8 year sentence with time off for good behavior so maybe he serves 3-4 would be fair considering he could have incited a riot or at the very least put other people lives in danger.

Exactly. Weird all the guys that wanted to make an example out of Manafort have their panties in a bunch over this guy getting the book thrown at him. 
Really? You think it’s weird that people think falsifying a crime shouldn’t have a potential penalty twice as high as Manafort’s potential penalty? And twelve times as high as his actual sentence?

I agree..6-8 year sentence with time off for good behavior so maybe he serves 3-4 would be fair considering he could have incited a riot or at the very least put other people lives in danger.
So you think a sentence of twice as long as Paul Manafort is justified?

Exactly, putting lives in danger intentionally like that and trying to cause harm to others needs to be handled aggressively. 

So you think a sentence of twice as long as Paul Manafort is justified?
Not up to me to decide what crime gets what sentence.  CPD is very upset over this so the prosecutor may push for a few years served.  18 months sentence and getting out after 12 months and paying restitution for wasted resources seems fair to me.

Not up to me to decide what crime gets what sentence.  CPD is very upset over this so the prosecutor may push for a few years served.  18 months sentence and getting out after 12 months and paying restitution for wasted resources seems fair to me.
Me too. 6/8 years seems ridiculous. 

He didn’t incite a riot, but agree his behavior was dangerous. I say he should serve six months, plus probation, and get mandated counseling for 2-3 years. However it happened, there’s something disturbed and probably diagnosable about this guy’s personality. Addressing that would have more of a mutual benefit to the inmate and society than throwing him to rot out of indignation. 
I watch Empire and like Jesse but he should do one year in jail, no more no less. That seems very fair.

And a huge ### fine/restitution....
He should be forced to pay for all of the LE time he wasted.  I suspect that’s going to be a hell of a lot of money.

I don’t know what his net worth is, but I imagine he’s  too young to have amassed a fortune, even for a popular actor.  Those payments are going to hurt.

He does seem to have a fair amount of support from some other actors though.  Perhaps they will help pay for it.

The police might have some splainin to do. The brothers have proof the $3,500 supposedly to fake this attack was for training.
:confused:  The brothers have already issued a public statement and apology for taking part and staging the fake attack.

Lawyers must have got to them.

:confused:  The brothers have already issued a public statement and apology for taking part and staging the fake attack.

Lawyers must have got to them.
Jussie attorney working on them.....probably paying for their attorney after seeing their financial standing in the one article awhile back. 

The police might have some splainin to do. The brothers have proof the $3,500 supposedly to fake this attack was for training.
Got a link for this?

All I can find is this from their attorney..

They were paid for the training . . . but they were also asked to do this favor for him,” she said.

Explaining the payment further, Schmidt said: “If you’re friends, and I’m saying ‘Hey, I’m going to pay you for training, I’m also asking you to do me a favor . . . and the favor was to stage the attack.”

The recusal of the chicago DA seemed kind of sketchy previously to me. Now it seems even more sketchy as her explanation of why, was reaaaaaaallllllllyy stretching the truth.

Her statement was...

Shortly after the incident occurred in late January, State’s Attorney Foxx had conversations with a family member of Jussie Smollett about the incident and their concerns, and facilitated a connection to the Chicago Police Department who were investigating the incident," a statement from the Cook County State's Attorney's Office read.
She didnt facilitate a connection to the police department. She was actively lobbying the superintendent on behalf of the family and was regularly texting with them and speaking to them on the phone.

The recusal of the chicago DA seemed kind of sketchy previously to me. Now it seems even more sketchy as her explanation of why, was reaaaaaaallllllllyy stretching the truth.

Her statement was...

She didnt facilitate a connection to the police department. She was actively lobbying the superintendent on behalf of the family and was regularly texting with them and speaking to them on the phone.
She might actually be a witness.

A prosecutor who is involved in events of an investigation doesn’t have to recuse, that’s what prosecutors do. If a prosecutor sees xyz happen which led to an investigation that’s perfectly fine. The only reason to do this is if she somehow allowed personal influence to enter the process.

What he deserves is assassination ... of his career ... and you have to think that has happened.  If not for this stupid publicity stunt the guy would be making $60-$70 thousand per episode and likely be getting additional roles in TV, movies and commercials for years.   Now he will be lucky to get a job wearing a "Going out of Business Sale" ad along the side of the road.  What a knucklehead.

Throw him in jail for 6 months or a couple years if you want but what he did to himself is going to haunt him for the rest of his life.

A prosecutor who is involved in events of an investigation doesn’t have to recuse, that’s what prosecutors do. If a prosecutor sees xyz happen which led to an investigation that’s perfectly fine. The only reason to do this is if she somehow allowed personal influence to enter the process.
I think that’s pretty clear.

From the Associated Press  -

BREAKING: Attorneys for "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett say charges alleging he lied to police about attack have been dropped.

---

Well I don't understand now at all.

From the Associated Press  -

BREAKING: Attorneys for "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett say charges alleging he lied to police about attack have been dropped.

---

Well I don't understand now at all.
As far-fetched as it may seem, perhaps we should at least consider the slight possibility that the Chicago Police Department and conservative media- both of which are usually beyond reproach- unfairly maligned a gay black man.

Link

In a stunning reversal, Cook County prosecutors on Tuesday dropped all charges against "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett on disorderly conduct charges for allegedly staging a phony attack and claiming he was the victim of a hate crime.

“We believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” a prosecutor said in announcing the dismissal of all 16 counts.

Users who are viewing this thread